2015-2016 Northwestern University (Feinberg) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
239 I think

Members don't see this ad.

Are we supposed to receive a confirmation email for accepting a position on the waitlist?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are we supposed to receive a confirmation email for accepting a position on the waitlist?

Probably not, but I am hoping for a "what the heck, how'd you end up an alternate, you were in the accept mailing list..." email. Hahaha haha hah ha... TAKE ME

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else get email back from financial aid office that they cannot find you on their system when you emailed them income verification??? And even after submitting everything like 2 weeks ago they say they still need FAFSA and needaccess info?

Did anyone else think it was strange that at the end of the financial aid email they wanted us to reply with the subject line "Confirmed receipt" and nothing else?

Did anyone else think it was strange that at the end of the financial aid email they wanted us to reply with the subject line "Confirmed receipt" and nothing else?

Not too weird, that way we confirm receipt and they can check it off without having to open the e-mail.

Hi guys so I was thinking of booking my flights for Second Look (itinerary is flexible, thank you southwest). I was thinking of flying in Thursday morning and leaving Saturday afternoon. What do you guys think? should I change the timings for something else? Thanks!
BUMP!

How many of you are planning on staying till Saturday? I was thinking of doing that so I could hang out in the city Friday night!

me me me :) Also to look at places to live haha

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone get a confirmation that their financial aid forms were received? Are we supposed to get an email confirmation back or do they only respond if we're missing something? Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone get a confirmation that their financial aid forms were received? Are we supposed to get an email confirmation back or do they only respond if we're missing something? Thanks!!!

I didn't get a response, so I called to verify they received them all, which I would recommend because they can also see if your FAFSA or NeedAccess were flagged for issues.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I didn't get a response, so I called to verify they received them all, which I would recommend because they can also see if your FAFSA or NeedAccess were flagged for issues.

Thank you so much! I will give them a call tomorrow

Smart move! Also gotta find a way to not spend 1500+ on rent hahaha.
It's definitely a good idea to hang around and look at apartments. The easiest way to save money is to live outside of Streeterville. I'd check out places in Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and South Loop. It's still really early to find places to actually sign a lease for August, but I'd say it's worth checking out the different neighborhoods.

Yeah my plan is to stay til Saturday to hang out and check out potential apartments :)

Just signed up for 2nd look! I currently go to school in Chi so I'll be there for everything. So pumped!

Also, I totally didn't follow the directions regarding the "confirm receipt" .... oops

Not too weird, that way we confirm receipt and they can check it off without having to open the e-mail.
Didn't even think about that. That totally makes sense.

For those wondering, I found Northwestern's financial aid pretty much in line with most other private school's offers for me (my family is middle class in a middle cost-of-living part of the country). I didn't get a merit offer, so I can't comment on that. The really nice thing about the need-based grant is that it was set for all 4 years. Some other schools didn't guarantee it for every year.

For those wondering, I found Northwestern's financial aid pretty much in line with most other private school's offers for me (my family is middle class in a middle cost-of-living part of the country). I didn't get a merit offer, so I can't comment on that. The really nice thing about the need-based grant is that it was set for all 4 years. Some other schools didn't guarantee it for every year.

Obviously everyone's financial situation is different, but can you tell us how much the need based grant was for, given a middle class background, just to have an idea?

Obviously everyone's financial situation is different, but can you tell us how much the need based grant was for, given a middle class background, just to have an idea?

+/-12k/yr

Also, we just got an email saying that the university is planning to put more money to financial aid. No specifics for medical students though, just a statement of "increased emphasis".

Edit: http://www.northwestern.edu/newscen...sage-from-the-president-on-financial-aid.html

Last edited:
Just a heads up... Got an email today (the Northwestern email address) about my financial aid award. I'm assuming others will have been sent out today as well!

Reactions: 5 users
Confirmed.
Just a heads up... Got an email today (the Northwestern email address) about my financial aid award. I'm assuming others will have been sent out today as well!

How receptive is Northwestern to matching merit awards from other institutions?

Also curious
Although upon actually looking at my award, I'm pleasantly surprised. This is the first financial aid package I've received, however, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Does anyone know when the official start date for this year is? Or when Founders Day is?

How receptive is Northwestern to matching merit awards from other institutions?

I talked to financial aid last year and they were helpful, but basically said the financial aid stuff wasn't flexible (but it was guaranteed for all 4 years, which is important if you anticipate your income changing during school).

They referred me to the admissions office, I emailed them with vague stuff how I preferred Feinberg, but the finances were holding me back. They emailed me back with a polite, but straightforward message saying all the merit aid was allocated already, but I would be contacted if some became available and I was chosen (it didn't/I wasn't). Now I never called or specified numbers, so take it as you will.

I'll be receiving my 2015 tax documents any moment now but for those of you who received financial aid offers, did you get finaid estimates based on 2014 tax documents or did you already have your most recent tax forms entered? When I filled out all the financial aid forms, I estimated 2015 using 2014 information so I guess I am just wondering if I will get a package in time with those estimates?