2015-2016 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i'm annoyed at this whole process.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi all. I know that it is a little bit late in the game, but I would appreciate the help nonetheless:-/
I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way as I do- there is a clear discrepancy between the way that UCLA is seen as an outsider and how you view it once you have interviewed. Before I visited the campus, I thought that people would be up-beat and enthusiastic about medicine (and about life in general). Seems to me that people are kinda bitter here... the students who we met throughout the day felt entrapped and shackled down. In my opinion, if you have an opportunity to attend one of the most prestigious schools in the world, you should be honored and delighted. Nope, people here JUST WANT TO GET OUT. Made me think a whole lot about where I want to end up at the end of the day.... perhaps it is better to go to a lesser-tier school and be happier?

Hi all. I know that it is a little bit late in the game, but I would appreciate the help nonetheless:-/
I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way as I do- there is a clear discrepancy between the way that UCLA is seen as an outsider and how you view it once you have interviewed. Before I visited the campus, I thought that people would be up-beat and enthusiastic about medicine (and about life in general). Seems to me that people are kinda bitter here... the students who we met throughout the day felt entrapped and shackled down. In my opinion, if you have an opportunity to attend one of the most prestigious schools in the world, you should be honored and delighted. Nope, people here JUST WANT TO GET OUT. Made me think a whole lot about where I want to end up at the end of the day.... perhaps it is better to go to a lesser-tier school and be happier?
Isn't that more of a personal choice though? I would love to go to a UC and I don't see why a SOM's culture or perceived culture should effect someone's opportunities or their attitude during medical school....I have heard something similar about UCSD but I still think medical school is what you make of it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't that more of a personal choice though? I would love to go to a UC and I don't see why a SOM's culture or perceived culture should effect someone's opportunities or their attitude during medical school....I have heard something similar about UCSD but I still think medical school is what you make of it.

That is very true; thanks for that perspective. The thing is-- this is 4 years of my life (4 years of all of our lives). It is important to have a support system and surround yourself with like-minded and passionate individuals. What if the work gets so tough that I just need a shoulder to lean on? What if I could go somewhere else where people are a little more relaxed and pick up their heads every once in a while from their books and take a whiff of the fresh air? It seems that medical school is also about building your character... the person who you will be for the rest of your life when it comes to treating patients. Unfortunately, I don't know if it is worth risking a potential compassionate/passionate disposition for slightly better prestige.

I understand the need for the support system but I think thats where external support comes into play....family, friends, significant others, etc. Of course it makes it easier if you also have that at school but I am sure you can find on campus clubs that can bring together people who are like minded too...I have spoken to alot of med students and they are pretty lax about their workload and with their free time, and they go to awesome schools like UCI SOM and Colorado. I think residencies tend to be more character building than med school....either way I probably have a while before I can get into an awesome school like this one :)

I understand the need for the support system but I think thats where external support comes into play....family, friends, significant others, etc. Of course it makes it easier if you also have that at school but I am sure you can find on campus clubs that can bring together people who are like minded too...I have spoken to alot of med students and they are pretty lax about their workload and with their free time, and they go to awesome schools like UCI SOM and Colorado. I think residencies tend to be more character building than med school....either way I probably have a while before I can get into an awesome school like this one :)

Honestly, you are right. Thank you for that. I am truly honored to be considered at DGSOM; there is no doubt about it. But sometimes, gut feelings also have a purpose. I went to interviews at places like University of Miami, Mt. Sinai, UMich... and they all had a warmer feel (Miami was the only one that was physically WARM). I find that there are two types of people who go into medicine-- people who like the patients and people who like the idea of the practice because it is practical, science intrigues them, etc. I want to be surrounded by the people who are constantly thinking about the patient. I guess my ego is getting in the way and I won't let myself NOT accept UCLA. At the same time though, I know I will be happier at a place like Sinai-- so I will have to hold my breath and dive in!

Thanks for your help!!

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly, you are right. Thank you for that. I am truly honored to be considered at DGSOM; there is no doubt about it. But sometimes, gut feelings also have a purpose. I went to interviews at places like University of Miami, Mt. Sinai, UMich... and they all had a warmer feel (Miami was the only one that was physically WARM). I find that there are two types of people who go into medicine-- people who like the patients and people who like the idea of the practice because it is practical, science intrigues them, etc. I want to be surrounded by the people who are constantly thinking about the patient. I guess my ego is getting in the way and I won't let myself NOT accept UCLA. At the same time though, I know I will be happier at a place like Sinai-- so I will have to hold my breath and dive in!

Thanks for your help!!
Np. Best of luck :) I would be happy to be your patient one day :D

Thanks for your help!!
Go with your gut feeling. No place is worth it if you end up being unhappy while attending a medical school based solely on prestige. At the end of the day, no one can truly answer your question other than yourself. We all have different perceptions about the schools that we interviewed at. ;)

Reactions: 4 users
Np. Best of luck :) I would be happy to be your patient one day :D

Such a heart-warming compliment :) thank you.

And I wish the best by you my friend!

Reactions: 1 users
Go with your gut feeling. No place is worth it if you end up being unhappy while attending a medical school based solely on prestige. At the end of the day, no one can truly answer your question other than yourself. We all have different perceptions about the schools that we interviewed at. ;)
Thanks! Are you matriculating at DGSOM? What did you like about it?

Interview day:
Did anyone else feel that the UCLA interview day was rather disorganized? For instance: Our MMI interviewers were 20 minutes late.

Thanks! Are you matriculating at DGSOM? What did you like about it?
I'm going to say the contrary and think you should think twice before going w/ your gut feeling. Remember, your perception of the school is based on a very small subset, the few people you met on that specific day of your interview. I wouldn't determine a school's culture just based of a few interactions.
For what it's worth, my experience of dgsom was the exact opposite. All the students I met were so happy and had free time to have outside lives. I agree with you that there are 2 types of people: patient-centered & science/problemsolving/practical-centered people. All the people I met and the host I stayed with were definitely the patient-centered type. Furthermore, the dean of curriculum education talked to us at lunch and just blew us away. She is one of the most caring patient-first doctors I've ever met. All the medical students I talked to would gasp at her mention and bring up how much she's taught them about caring for patients

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview day:
Did anyone else feel that the UCLA interview day was rather disorganized? For instance: Our MMI interviewers were 20 minutes late.
For sure. I feel badly bashing UCLA for the past couple of posts (on my end) because it really is a great school; but we are being honest here... YES YES AND YES-- it was SUPER disorganized. Half the time I felt like I was waiting on something or someone... the other half of the time I was catching my breath while rushing. There didn't seem to be any consistency in the day. The interview day, in my opinion, shouldn't only be a day in which you try to sell yourself; the school should be trying to sell ITSELF TO YOU! As such, they should have been more on top of things. Also, I have been to UCLA before... and they left out a significant part of the tour. They didn't take us around the immensely beautiful campus there! They kind of just took us to one of the top floors of RR, showed us the view, brought us downstairs, then we ate. Eh. All in all, though, it was a fine interview day... but not mind-blowing like some of the other ones to which I went.

Thanks for your help!!
I am literally having this exact conversation in my head everyday (not with Sinai exactly but another awesome program).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm going to say the contrary and think you should think twice before going w/ your gut feeling. Remember, your perception of the school is based on a very small subset, the few people you met on that specific day of your interview. I wouldn't determine a school's culture just based of a few interactions.
For what it's worth, my experience of dgsom was the exact opposite. All the students I met were so happy and had free time to have outside lives. I agree with you that there are 2 types of people: patient-centered & science/problemsolving/practical-centered people. All the people I met and the host I stayed with were definitely the patient-centered type. Furthermore, the dean of curriculum education talked to us at lunch and just blew us away. She is one of the most caring patient-first doctors I've ever met. All the medical students I talked to would gasp at her mention and bring up how much she's taught them about caring for patients

Very interesting how we had different experiences on interview day! You are absolutely right in that I have to take the time to get to know the schools better... perhaps second look will give me a different impression?

Perhaps you met the exceptions to the rule at UCLA... and perhaps I met the exceptions to the rule. No one knows until they look more deeply into things. It is possible that I will show up to a place like Sinai or UMiami and end up hating the people there after a couple of months-- who knows? But, I was given one chance to see the school and make my assessment, and that is off of what I must go :( Perhaps a revisit will change my mind soon!

Thanks lalarubies

Just read above conversation. I agree a lot with what people say. From the outside, I thought UCLA would be a fantastic place to attend medical school. Since interview day, most, if not all of my interactions with the medical school and students/faculty have been very negative. The disorganized admissions process, the unwelcoming interview day, the tired and quiet students, terrible treatment and response times from the financial aid office, and many more experiences have each led me away from UCLA. Will approach second look with a somewhat open mind, but so far I will likely not be choosing to matriculate at UCLA.

Reactions: 3 users
Just read above conversation. I agree a lot with what people say. From the outside, I thought UCLA would be a fantastic place to attend medical school. Since interview day, most, if not all of my interactions with the medical school and students/faculty have been very negative. The disorganized admissions process, the unwelcoming interview day, the tired and quiet students, terrible treatment and response times from the financial aid office, and many more experiences have each led me away from UCLA. Will approach second look with a somewhat open mind, but so far I will likely not be choosing to matriculate at UCLA.
Let me add to this conversation as well since I've been holding back for quite some time now. DGSOM was by far the least appealing interview experience during my cycle. I immediately got the sense that the faculty were full of themselves and didn't give a damn about prospective students. Arrogance unparalleled.

Two other relevant cons (feel free to dispute this): 1) I hear the school itself doesn't do a good job of preparing its students for the USMLE Step 1 Exam, and for an extremely highly ranked school like UCLA, their average step score doesn't even compare to other schools of similar prestige including Mayo, NYU, and Yale. 2) Medical students are treated like utter garbage during rotations. You might not really understand what this means now, but as soon as you get to your third and fourth year and are treated like the scum of the earth/ bottom of the food chain by many arrogant physicians, you will be miserable. A few of my friends who are currently MS3s at DGSOM are miserable and are taking a full year off to unwind because of the maltreatment and bullying they endured in their third year.

So you ask me, is DGSOM worth it? You'll get to live in the beautiful city of Los Angeles, you'll get to enjoy the prestige, you'll get to meet a lot of attractive men/women, there is perfect weather, BUT with regards to the medical training you will receive........that will be lacking. You will not learn that the patient comes first at DGSOM. And you will have to cram so hard for the boards that your ass will have blisters on it from sitting down for so long. AND to top it all off, your self-worth will be in shambles during rotations and you will be over-worked, sleep-deprived, burnt out, disgusted by medicine, detached from patient care, and potentially depressed/prone to serious mental illness.

Reactions: 4 users
I had a negative interview experience at UCLA as well - I thought I was the only one!

I'm actually very surprised to hear all of this. I had a short but positive interview day experience (maybe it was delayed, but I honestly wasn't keeping track). The students I spoke with had only good things to say, which included people I know and trust. I'm glad I can make it to Recruitment Weekend to gather more data.

Let me add to this conversation as well since I've been holding back for quite some time now. DGSOM was by far the least appealing interview experience during my cycle. I immediately got the sense that the faculty were full of themselves and didn't give a damn about prospective students. Arrogance unparalleled.

Two other relevant cons (feel free to dispute this): 1) I hear the school itself doesn't do a good job of preparing its students for the USMLE Step 1 Exam, and for an extremely highly ranked school like UCLA, their average step score doesn't even compare to other schools of similar prestige including Mayo, NYU, and Yale. 2) Medical students are treated like utter garbage during rotations. You might not really understand what this means now, but as soon as you get to your third and fourth year and are treated like the scum of the earth/ bottom of the food chain by many arrogant physicians, you will be miserable. A few of my friends who are currently MS3s at DGSOM are miserable and are taking a full year off to unwind because of the maltreatment and bullying they endured in their third year.

So you ask me, is DGSOM worth it? You'll get to live in the beautiful city of Los Angeles, you'll get to enjoy the prestige, you'll get to meet a lot of attractive men/women, there is perfect weather, BUT with regards to the medical training you will receive........that will be lacking. You will not learn that the patient comes first at DGSOM. And you will have to cram so hard for the boards that your ass will have blisters on it from sitting down for so long. AND to top it all off, your self-worth will be in shambles during rotations and you will be over-worked, sleep-deprived, burnt out, disgusted by medicine, detached from patient care, and potentially depressed/prone to serious mental illness.
I have heard everything that you have said from actual UCLA DGSOM students themselves. When I was there, I got the contact of a handful of students and messaged them throughout the year; they were brutally honest with me. UCLA is all about its image and using students as a pawn to gain better prestige (which isn't always a bad thing, honestly... let me explain). Medical school students SHOULD be the ones that are putting out a good name for a medical school... but in what way? Some institutions like Georgetown, for example, pride themselves on having students who are well-rounded and put others before themselves. Their motto of cure personalis is prevalent in the student body and within the faculty population... people are cool, calm, collected... they look at medicine and the world in a holistic way. Georgetown USES this fact to try to "sell" their school-- as they should. I was recently told: "being a physician is a balance of being prideful in the most humble way." As future doctors, we SHOULD know our strengths and use them to become patient advocates.

At UCLA however, they have the motto of being prideful for the sake of pridefulness. The school cares about the students who churn out the most science papers... and not those who have worked on their character such that they can be more effective communicators with patients and families of patients. Of course, both aspects of patient-care are needed-- the academic side and the "emotional" side of medicine. However-- the question is: what is the foundation. At UCLA... it seems like the foundation is set on outward academic excellence over internal excellence of character. I have known a couple of people who are the warmest, most selfless, individuals on the planet; on top of that, they are well versed in science, have published science articles, etc. These students were not welcomed into UCLA, most probably due to the fact that they gave off a more emotional perspective of medicine over one that is strictly academic. Interestingly, most students who get interviews at UCLA have more academic personal statements "I did X...Y...Z in research... and I shadowed X...Y...Z doctor... my grades are stellar... let me in." On the other hand, the ones who did not receive interviews are those who told a STORY... they integrated medicine into the small aspects of their lives by subtle (and humble) means. Of course, there will be a mix of these types of people anywhere you all decide to go... however, I found that UCLA is more dry than many others schools; but, again, that could have just been my experience.

I can attest to the horrible, depressing, and nonsupportive atmosphere that students feel at UCLA David Geffen. Would only go here since its close to family.

I can attest to the horrible, depressing, and nonsupportive atmosphere that students feel at UCLA David Geffen. Would only go here since its close to family.
Asked my friend at DGSOM to take a look at the thread, he said he and his friends agree with what's being said.

I'm actually very surprised to hear all of this. I had a short but positive interview day experience (maybe it was delayed, but I honestly wasn't keeping track). The students I spoke with had only good things to say, which included people I know and trust. I'm glad I can make it to Recruitment Weekend to gather more data.
+1 I had a great experience at the school. Yes it was disorganized, but the students that I met and stayed with were pretty positive. I was surprised by how much UCLA med is involved in the care of underserved communities, and other minorities. Many schools preach that in their curriculum, but it was clear during my interview that they are very serious in recruiting compassionate students to maintain their mission.

By now, I think you all are just talking **** because you want to cloud others judgement.. & make them withdraw their acceptances...

LMAO HOW LOW CAN YA'LL GO. omgggg.
out of nowhereeeeee all this horrible talk about UCLA... how convenient.. right after 3/30 lmao
you manipulative pre-meds, ahhhh... you little deceptive creatures! lmao.

ANYWHOS... still twiddling my thumbs... waiting..

I had an awesome interview experience.. randomly, I met a 4th year in a Lyft (i did the carpool thingy) & we were discussing his experiences etc etc... he was supppppppeeeeeeeerrrr happy. lmao
He told me a bunch of great things about DGSOM.. including the fact that their curriculum is waaaay more relaxed than other schools, which makes for a pleasant experience. As far as USMLE.. ever heard of studying on your own? no?

I went to such a wack HS, but for my SATs I found my own resources & blew it out the park.. Can't you do that for your USMLE? I dont understand all thecriticism on this thread.. oh wait, I do.. YOU GUYS ARE ALL MANIPULATORS LOL.

Reactions: 10 users
By now, I think you all are just talking **** because you want to cloud others judgement.. & make them withdraw their acceptances...

out of nowhereeeeee all this horrible talk about UCLA... how convenient.. right after 3/30 lmao

I had an awesome interview experience.. randomly, I met a 4th year in a Lyft (i did the carpool thingy) & we were discussing his experiences etc etc... he was supppppppeeeeeeeerrrr happy. lmao
He told me a bunch of great things about DGSOM.. including the fact that their curriculum is waaaay more relaxed than other schools, which makes for a pleasant experience. As far as USMLE.. ever heard of studying on your own? no?

I went to such a wack HS, but for my SATs I found my own resources & blew it out the park.. Can't you do that for your USMLE? I dont understand all thecriticism on this thread.. oh wait, I do.. YOU GUYS ARE ALL MANIPULATORS LOL.
Ahhahahahaa I still truly believe what I said you did call us out tho, gotta admit

Why would those of us who were already accepted take part in this argument if we wanted others to withdraw....?

Just a question that should be put out there.

Reactions: 6 users

Why would those of us who were already accepted take part in this argument if we wanted others to withdraw....? Perhaps some of us value the opinion of others and can take part in healthy debate and conversation...? After all, science is about observation, analysis, and applying critical thought to important decisions. Just because people are "pre-med"does not mean their motives are wrong. Perhaps the bitterness is manifested in your argument, itself, and is irrelevant of our aforementioned conversation.

Just some questions to be put out there...

Reactions: 5 users

Besides, if someone was a critical thinker and did stand strong on his own principle, his mind wouldn't be malleable enough to have a conversation such as this change his mind.... that kind of person doesn't deserve to be at UCLA, let alone gain a medical degree.

Besides, if someone was a critical thinker and did stand strong on his own principle, his mind wouldn't be malleable enough to have a conversation such as this change his mind.... that kind of person doesn't deserve to be at UCLA, let alone gain a medical degree.

#truth

anyone have steak to grill cause we've got salt and supa hot fire up in here!

ok, we return to our normal program of debating the ethics of ucla's admission process and how it makes us feel, their faculty, student happiness, etc. and the occasional "omg got the letter"/"was that the final wave of acceptances?"/"when's the next wave?"

Reactions: 9 users
anyone have steak to grill cause we've got salt and supa hot fire up in here!

ok, we return to our normal program of debating the ethics of ucla's admission process and how it makes us feel, their faculty, student happiness, etc. and the occasional "omg got the letter"/"was that the final wave of acceptances?"/"when's the next wave?"

HAHAHAA dying

Reactions: 3 users
On a more serious note, if anyone is able to validate or invalidate what I mentioned about how the students are treated in their third and fourth year, it would be much appreciated.

And if anyone has more to add about the curriculum, would be great.

On a more serious note, if anyone is able to validate or invalidate what I mentioned about how the students are treated in their third and fourth year, it would be much appreciated.

And if anyone has more to add about the curriculum, would be great.

Besides interviewing at UCLA I also interviewed at another medical school in LA and I remember how they mentioned something along these lines while I was there. More so that at UCLA there's a different attitude toward the medical students and they are not allowed as much hands on training, but hey, you can get a lot of time to study as you sit there watching other people see patients. Of course they are biased, but it makes me wonder how true it may be?

Besides interviewing at UCLA I also interviewed at another medical school in LA and I remember how they mentioned something along these lines while I was there. More so that at UCLA there's a different attitude toward the medical students and they are not allowed as much hands on training, but hey, you can get a lot of time to study as you sit there watching other people see patients. Of course they are biased, but it makes me wonder how true it may be?

cough #usc

Wow! I'm surprised and saddened to hear so many people had negative interview experiences and bad impressions of UCLA. I really enjoyed my interview day, most especially my one-on-one interview, and I felt the students appeared very happy and excited to share their school. I will be interested to hear more from students this weekend and get a better sense of how well balanced the student experience is.
On another note, I can say that my own application and personal statement was not heavy on "I researched x, y, z, and shadowed a, b, c." Of course I covered all that in my activities section, but my personal statement was very much an honest portrayal of the path that brought me to medicine.

My one-on-one interview happened to be with a student. He/She literally put the paper of questions that the admissions office had given him in front of me and told me to read the 2 questions and answer them. Very odd.

Also shout out to all MMI schools with a writing station: Stop it!

tumblr_n4mrvdvQYx1s7g34vo1_400.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
What's up with this domino effect of negativities here? o_O

Interrupting this debate momentarily: So for those of you waiting to hear back are you arranging housing at the med school of your choice meanwhile? I found this really good apartment that I like but I don't want to commit and sign contracts in case I hear good news from UCLA... Is anyone else in the same situation? This silence is really messing with me...+pity+

Wow, ignore a thread for two days and things can really get crazy!

I actually loved my interview day at UCLA and thought the faculty seemed quite interested in the empathetic sides of the interviewees. My PS was also a story, I don't think it included a single resume item.

Keep it together, the end is near!

(in a good way)

(hopefully)

Rejected, Pre-II, Post-Secondary

513 MCAT, 3.97 masters GPA, lower ugpa, OOS

Rejected, Pre-II, Post-Secondary

513 MCAT, 3.97 masters GPA, lower ugpa, OOS
I am really sorry to hear. Honestly, it is their loss. It seems like you are more than qualified for a position here. Best of luck in the future!

I am really sorry to hear. Honestly, it is their loss. It seems like you are more than qualified for a position here. Best of luck in the future!

Thank you for your kind words, txgirl1993!