Apr 22, 2019
UCSF: Good waitlist movement this cycle
Stanford: Good waitlist movement this cycle
Hopkins: Good waitlist movement this cycle
Harvard: Good waitlist movement this cycle
WashU: Good waitlist movement this cycle
NYU: Good waitlist movement this cycle

UCLA: "Ooh, we over enrolled. Deferral contracts anyone?"
Have they said they overenrolled and are offering deferral contracts? Interested to see how the deferral contract thing shapes up.

Apr 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
If you can believe this thread, UCLA has apparently over enrolled. If so, then they will have to offer deferral contracts eventually.

They are likely not entirely sure yet what the true nature of their class is. Also, unclear what the leadership is within adcom, given recent resignations.

They appear to be like a deer stuck in the headlights, unsure if the oncoming vehicle is a semi or two motorcycles.

Laix

2+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
If you can believe this thread, UCLA has apparently over enrolled. If so, then they will have to offer deferral contracts eventually.

They are likely not entirely sure yet what the true nature of their class is. Also, unclear what the leadership is within adcom, given recent resignations.

They appear to be like a deer stuck in the headlights, unsure if the oncoming vehicle is a semi or two motorcycles.
I like your analogy

Dec 1, 2018

Has anyone actually confirmed that though? Or is this mostly hearsay for now?

Apr 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
The over enrollment story was picked up on this thread from person(s) who have spoken to folks at UCLA. So take it with a grain of salt.

If it is true and they must offer deferral contracts, it's a pretty serious issue, unlikely resolvable by lower level admissions staff. Senior leadership will have to grab hold of the reins here. If true, I suspect they spent the long weekend working the issue. Stay tuned.

carey113

2+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I called admissions last week, and the class is definitely full but I’m not sure about overenrolled. The class may be overenrolled by a small number, and I think they’re hoping that small overenrollment will diminish as accepted students get off other waitlists.

Reactions: kakaaw
Mar 1, 2019
I see that there are new people being added to the fb group each week, but the overall number of people in the group has slowly declined... I am not too hopeful, but @gyngyn says that there may be more movement in June!

Dec 22, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I called admissions and the person who I spoke with was very apologetic in saying that the class was totally full. She said she wasn’t expecting much, if any, waitlist movement.

Aug 14, 2018
What happens if the school you are currently PTE at has a CTE deadline before UCLA’s? Do we expect that UCLA will see it’s minimal waitlist movement around its CTE date? Does that mean we’re basically out of the running if we’re on the waitlist in this scenario? Sorry for so many questions and thank you!

Apr 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
If you have to CTE at another school other than UCLA and their deadline is before UCLA's, then you have to go to that school, in many cases, but not all. Some schools will allow you to CTE and remain on WLs. However I do not believe any T20 schools would allow this, unless you had some extenuating circumstance.

To the extent that UCLA has any waitlist movement, some of it may be around their CTE deadline.

Last edited:
Reactions: eligolden

carey113

2+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
My guess is they don’t want to go through the effort of having to go through apps and choose which ones to reject now. Why do something when they are not obligated to do so? I feel totally jaded and do not trust this school’s admissions process.

Apr 22, 2019
- Talked to Dean Hall, super nice guy and actually explained to me why delay occurs (lots of back/forth and/or tabling at both committee meetings, meetings don't occur that often, rater/interviewer procrastination = months of silence). The dude(shout out to your bravery!!) in front of me talking to Dean Hall asked him about the threshold! Dean Hall dodged it and said they are reconsidering and it was a lot more complicated.
I just saw this from up earlier on the thread. There is no way that this gives off the image of fairness if rater/interviewers are procrastinating for months. I get that they aren't just interviewers, they have other occupations in their daily lives. The problem is that I don't think all interviewers procrastinate which leads to the unfairness. How do they decide who to accept or reject if some interviewers get back to Admissions sooner? There is only such a limited pool if other interviewers are procrastinating. Months of silence from the interviewers sounds terrible and a total lack of leadership from the admissions office. If the interviewers are really busy, perhaps they shouldn't have taken on the interview assignments.

How is it so complicated if almost every other school in the country has created guidelines for their Admissions team? Stating how much commitment is needed weekly, when meetings are, what we need to accomplish at these meetings... these are goals the admissions leadership should set for their team/office. Perhaps I'm wrong but the way the above quote is worded makes it seem like the admissions office is really disorganized and not living up to the job description.

Reactions: StanleyYelnats
Apr 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I just saw this from up earlier on the thread. There is no way that this gives off the image of fairness if rater/interviewers are procrastinating for months. I get that they aren't just interviewers, they have other occupations in their daily lives. The problem is that I don't think all interviewers procrastinate which leads to the unfairness. How do they decide who to accept or reject if some interviewers get back to Admissions sooner? There is only such a limited pool if other interviewers are procrastinating. Months of silence from the interviewers sounds terrible and a total lack of leadership from the admissions office. If the interviewers are really busy, perhaps they shouldn't have taken on the interview assignments.

How is it so complicated if almost every other school in the country has created guidelines for their Admissions team? Stating how much commitment is needed weekly, when meetings are, what we need to accomplish at these meetings... these are goals the admissions leadership should set for their team/office. Perhaps I'm wrong but the way the above quote is worded makes it seem like the admissions office is really disorganized and not living up to the job description.
Well, then, perhaps it is no surprise that Dean Hall and another senior admissions officer left their positions, seemingly unceremoniously, back in March. This came on the heels of the blowback from students and faculty in December when the school announced the prospect of their raising MCAT and GPA admission targets. This plan was not Dean Hall's alone, according to news announcements; it was above his paygrade. He was though apparently caught in the cross-fire. The admissions office, as cited in this thread, also has had a couple of embarrassing miscues with incorrect emails, etc.

In total, not a picture of a well-oiled machine.

Last edited:
Reactions: StanleyYelnats
Apr 5, 2018
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Geffen is an amazing, highly-ranked medical school in an awesome location. Hopefully, Dean Hall's replacement will fix the admissions miscues and bring that department up to par with the standards of excellence generally embodied by the rest of the school. For those seeking to get off of the wait list, I wish you the best of luck.

Apr 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Geffen is an amazing, highly-ranked medical school in an awesome location. Hopefully, Dean Hall's replacement will fix the admissions miscues and bring that department up to par with the standards of excellence generally embodied by the rest of the school. For those seeking to get off of the wait list, I wish you the best of luck.
Indeed.

May 2, 2018
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Still nothing here huh? Love how Drew has had some movement but nothing for the rest of us...

Reactions: Ms. Incognito
Jan 6, 2019
Status
Medical Student
Updated MSAR now says expected class size will be 151 students for fall 2020 rather than the historical 175.

Reactions: lusastro
Mar 21, 2019
I guess that's it for us WL folks. Looks like a +24 for enrollment this year and maybe deferral contracts going out soon.
Could someone please explain deferral contracts in more detail? What are they, how do they decide who gets them and do we know for sure that UCLA is gonna give them out?

Dec 1, 2018
Could someone please explain deferral contracts in more detail? What are they, how do they decide who gets them and do we know for sure that UCLA is gonna give them out?
It was never directly confirmed by UCLA but someone posted on the thread that someone they knew at UCLA told them as much.

Reactions: LabileEmotions