Dec 1, 2018
I called them today, and I was told that no one has been accepted from the waitlist yet. They did not confirm whether the class is already full or not. They are still gathering the numbers...
Is it possible that no one will get accepted off the waitlist even though accepted candidates have been withdrawn?

Laix

2+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
There's no actual deadline for when you absolutely have to press that "commit to enroll" button... So technically people can remain in "plan to enroll" until literally weeks before orientation... :meh:

Apr 22, 2019
Its interesting that this system takes schools an even longer time to estimate the number of students attending, not just DGSOM specifically. I think schools should just look at how many students have accepted their offer now that its past 5/1. Those that have accepted a school's offer as of now would for sure matriculate if everything ended today. Therefore, the remaining spots or lack thereof would be for those on the WL. And as people withdraw from hereon out, a school would fill the class from the WL. Maybe I'm missing something, but don't schools have all this information and should have a fairly good estimate by now on how many students will attend. On the other hand, I can understand if admissions committee needs to meet to reevaluate the WL.

Laix

2+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2017
Status
Its interesting that this system takes schools an even longer time to estimate the number of students attending, not just DGSOM specifically. I think schools should just look at how many students have accepted their offer now that its past 5/1. Those that have accepted a school's offer as of now would for sure matriculate if everything ended today. Therefore, the remaining spots or lack thereof would be for those on the WL. And as people withdraw from hereon out, a school would fill the class from the WL. Maybe I'm missing something, but don't schools have all this information and should have a fairly good estimate by now on how many students will attend. On the other hand, I can understand if admissions committee needs to meet to reevaluate the WL.

I think the following fictional scenario is UCLA dealing with right now
Assuming this is what the adcom has:
Class size(regular MD): 120 (i think? 165 total - 20 prime - 20 CD - 5 MDPHD)
Total # accepted: 180 (assuming they over-accepted judging by 2nd look exp/speech, there were 160+ applicants at the 2nd look...)
Total # accepted committed to UCLA on AMCAS by now: 80
Total # accepted plan to UCLA on AMCAS by now: 50 (waiting for waitlists)
*assuming 50 applicants withdraw their acceptances at UCLA by now

The school now has about 40 spots left. Yet, 50 people have acceptances that guarantee enrollment.

I think it's reasonable for the school to avoid touching the waitlist as little as possible, if not at all.

I think the waitlist movement begins when the Total # accepted plan to UCLA on AMCAS by now drops below 40.

Which can take a while... Like I previously mentioned, people can literally hold their "plan to enroll" until weeks before orientation.

Reactions: KingT’Challa

Tenniz

2+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2017
Does anyone know when the deadline to select commit to enroll for UCLA is? Or when orientation starts?
Dgsom academic calendar says orientation starts 8/5 for all students.

From applicant portal:
"Commit to Enroll – Applicants with acceptance offers will be required to choose Commit to Enroll at DGOSM 3 weeks prior to the start of our pre-matriculation programs (if accepted to PRIME-LA and Charles R. Drew Medical Education Program or UCLA-Caltech MSTP), or 3 weeks prior to the start of class for the Regular MD program. Selection of this option requires the applicant to withdraw all other acceptance offers, including waitlist positions from other medical schools. Failure to select Commit to Enroll may result in the withdrawal of your acceptance offer."

carey113

2+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
so basically if your current commitment's 3 weeks begins before July 15 (UCLA's 3 weeks) then you're out of the running?
Well, it's hard to say at this point. My guess is that with Dean Hall being gone, the admissions process at UCLA is even more of a mess than usual. Hence, it's taking extra long to get any WL movement. Historically, most of UCLA's waitlist movement has been in May/June. I think it's reasonable to expect some movement during these months if there are not enough PTE and CTE students to fill the class currently.

But who knows... everything's speculation.

Laix

2+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2017
Status
Well, it's hard to say at this point. My guess is that with Dean Hall being gone, the admissions process at UCLA is even more of a mess than usual. Hence, it's taking extra long to get any WL movement. Historically, most of UCLA's waitlist movement has been in May/June. I think it's reasonable to expect some movement during these months if there are not enough PTE and CTE students to fill the class currently.

But who knows... everything's speculation.
It's so sad that I remember one of my fellow interviewees asked Dean Hall "What if UCLA over-accepts?"

to which he responded:
"That's highly unlikely under my watch. In the past few years, we have generated a very predictable amount of positions to give at certain points. So it shouldn't be a problem."

I hope his resignation is not linked to the messy situation of this year's admission... but i think we all think that they are linked...

CorallyPink

2+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I called the admissions office this morning to ask for an update. She said there has been no movement on the waitlist thus far :/

Let's keep hoping!
Do you know if they are anticipating movement this year? (Like has the WL not moved since the committee hasn't finalized their decisions or because there's too many committing/planning to enroll)

Oct 10, 2018
Do you know if they are anticipating movement this year? (Like has the WL not moved since the committee hasn't finalized their decisions or because there's too many committing/planning to enroll)
I don't know how it has been at UCLA, but I have been hearing that this whole process has been a cluster this year with the new traffic rules. Essentially the AAMC doesn't have much power to actually enforce any of their CTE deadlines so people may still be holding multiple acceptances, slowing the entire process down.

Reactions: CorallyPink

carey113

2+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm sure that's how it looks. Full of PTEs holding multiple a's.
You can only hold PTE at one school. If a student has chosen UCLA as PTE, even if they didn’t withdraw other offers, UCLA is still deemed as their top choice unless a better WL offer comes along. No one would PTE UCLA if it was their second choice among their accepted offers. Doing that would mean that their top choice could rescind their offer. There’s an overenrollment issue and it’s not going to get fixed unless people get off WL in top 5 schools. There was an overenrollment issue at stanford a few years back and stanford ended up asking some accepted students to defer and take a gap year and paid them for doing so. It’s possible ucla can do that too.

Neuronom

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2017
Status
You can only hold PTE at one school. If a student has chosen UCLA as PTE, even if they didn’t withdraw other offers, UCLA is still deemed as their top choice unless a better WL offer comes along. No one would PTE UCLA if it was their second choice among their accepted offers. Doing that would mean that their top choice could rescind their offer. There’s an overenrollment issue and it’s not going to get fixed unless people get off WL in top 5 schools. There was an overenrollment issue at stanford a few years back and stanford ended up asking some accepted students to defer and take a gap year and paid them for doing so. It’s possible ucla can do that too.
Right PTE and planning to go elsewhere once movement starts. Like false committment. I don't doubt it's possible

tamepelican

2+ Year Member
May 24, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Did they say why? Thanks for calling!
It seems as though our collective suspicions are correct. When I called, she mentioned that there's an abundance of prospective students electing to hold their acceptances (unprecedented to them). With no ability to gauge whether accepted students are actually committed to attending (she even went so far as to claim that CTE students can technically hold their waitlist positions at other institutions), DGSOM seems to have its hands tied.

All we can do is wait. Our chances for acceptance may be slim for the moment, but let's keep faith that things may change in the coming weeks!

Reactions: Zumy10
May 2, 2018
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
It seems as though our collective suspicions are correct. When I called, she mentioned that there's an abundance of prospective students electing to hold their acceptances (unprecedented to them). With no ability to gauge whether accepted students are actually committed to attending (she even went so far as to claim that CTE students can technically hold their waitlist positions at other institutions), DGSOM seems to have its hands tied.

All we can do is wait. Our chances for acceptance may be slim for the moment, but let's keep faith that things may change in the coming weeks!
So it sounds like their current students have mostly selected PTE?

Jun 3, 2018
I know that Harvard's CTE deadline is in early June, and I'm hoping that they start WL movement after that so that it can trickle down to WL movement for us. All we need is one (top) school to start having significant WL movement and I think that will jumpstart WL movement for this cycle

Reactions: Neuronom and Zumy10

carey113

2+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Isn't it still possible though? Unless they increased the amount of students they overaccept drastically, shouldn't the amount of accepted students that ultimately decide to go elsewhere be similar to previous years?
UCLA usnews ranking improved, so that probably contributed to increased yield.

Mar 21, 2019
As other people have mentioned, we were told at second look that they over accepted this year. I also heard from another student that they gave out too many Geffen’s (I think she found out from her fin aid appointment). This could explain increased yield.

Don’t mean to be the bearer of bad news. There’s a lot of speculation going on right now so hopefully this helps

Reactions: Neuronom

Neuronom

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2017
Status
As other people have mentioned, we were told at second look that they over accepted this year. I also heard from another student that they gave out too many Geffen’s (I think she found out from her fin aid appointment). This could explain increased yield.

Don’t mean to be the bearer of bad news. There’s a lot of speculation going on right now so hopefully this helps
Are students usually willing, or reluctant, to defer after the incentive?
Edit: If this turns out to be the case at dgsom. Just curious.

May 2, 2018
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

What a great year to be on the waitlist at UCLA!