2015-2016 University of Missouri - Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My file here was complete on 9/9. Still nothing. Does anyone think I still have a chance at an interview?

They send IIs only a week or two before the actual date and interview into February so yeah, I think you've got a fair shake.

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder what is taking so long. It seems like in previous years more people had received invites by now.

They've changed the way they select applicants. In a lot of the previous year threads, they were also giving out "automatic interviews" if your stats met a certain cutoff (3.5 and 28 MCAT I think?).

They've changed the way they select applicants. In a lot of the previous year threads, they were also giving out "automatic interviews" if your stats met a certain cutoff (3.5 and 28 MCAT I think?).

This is the first year they have ended giving automatic interviews. They've also put a stricter definion to what "in state" means (in the past, anyone with affiliation to the university, even out-of-state applications whose undergraduate institution was the University of Missouri would be considered "in state"). This makes it more difficult to get an interview for everyone, but also helps the in-staters in limiting the in-state pool.

I'm sure this is to prepare for the increased number seats in the med school class in the next few years (eventually, I'm pretty sure close to 20 additional spots will open up). Unfortunately, the larger class size doesn't start until 2017.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the first year they have ended giving automatic interviews. They've also put a stricter definion to what "in state" means (in the past, anyone with affiliation to the university, even out-of-state applications whose undergraduate institution was the University of Missouri would be considered "in state"). This makes it more difficult to get an interview for everyone, but also helps the in-staters in limiting the in-state pool.

I'm sure this is to prepare for the increased number seats in the med school class in the next few years (eventually, I'm pretty sure close to 20 additional spots will open up). Unfortunately, the larger class size doesn't start until 2017.

Yea, makes sense. Adds to what I was saying above.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like this is really odd, hardly any people have gotten interviews and like no one has gotten in...Its November 20th!

I think the best way to describe Mizzou Med acceptance is, they are semi rolling. They told us they accept like 5 people a month. A lot of interviews have gone out. When I interviewed earlier this month they said that they had interviewed about 90 people last month and I am guessing that they are going to interview about the same amount this month. They give most of their acceptances in March

Holy crap I want some love so bad from here. What are my options, guys? I moved back to MO this year to work in-state along with my wife who is a nurse. I know it doesn't make me "in-state" but I thought it would show dedication. LOI? Update? I don't want to do anything to hurt my chances, but at the same time, I feel like I am just sitting here rotting while they fill the class.

Is anyone else entirely not able to log onto the website? I want to give up my spot, but whenever I attempt to go to som.missouri.edu/SecondaryApplication, I get an error. Given that the deadline isn't until December 15th, I'm struggling to imagine that they've just shut down access to the applicant portal... but I thought I'd check with you all before emailing.

I could not log on when I was prepping for my interview a couple weeks ago.

Is anyone else entirely not able to log onto the website? I want to give up my spot, but whenever I attempt to go to som.missouri.edu/SecondaryApplication, I get an error. Given that the deadline isn't until December 15th, I'm struggling to imagine that they've just shut down access to the applicant portal... but I thought I'd check with you all before emailing.
mine logs on fine!

As others have noted, they switched up the way interviews go out. Previously if you were IS and met some basic stats, you were guaranteed an interview. Now, the ONLY people guaranteed interviews are those who were wait listed the previous year. So the bar is higher to get that interview.

I was told that generally, the top 1/3 of the waitlist ends up getting an invite, so there is still quite a lot of chance to get in.

As others have noted, they switched up the way interviews go out. Previously if you were IS and met some basic stats, you were guaranteed an interview. Now, the ONLY people guaranteed interviews are those who were wait listed the previous year. So the bar is higher to get that interview.

I was told that generally, the top 1/3 of the waitlist ends up getting an invite, so there is still quite a lot of chance to get in.
If I remember correctly, I was told at my interview that last year, the top 2/3 of the wait list ended up getting an acceptance. I could be wrong though, but I remember being told that!

If I remember correctly, I was told at my interview that last year, the top 2/3 of the wait list ended up getting an acceptance. I could be wrong though, but I remember being told that!

When I interviewed 2 weeks ago I was definitely told the top 1/3 usually get invites. The coordinator said that if you are on the waitlist, she can tell you in which 1/3 you reside (since she can't tell you your actual ranking). Maybe 2 years ago was a fluke and the top 2/3 did move but usually it's only the top 1/3?

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year they reached the top of the bottom 1/3.

Last year they reached the top of the bottom 1/3.

That's encouraging. Really gotta say I was impressed with MU after I started digging into it. Before it was just a "I'll apply because I'm here", but they do have solid board scores, solid matches, an interesting curriculum and CoMo to boot.

Honestly the best fit for me, so keeping my fingers crossed through the holiday.

Can current students tell us a little bit about Columbia and good spots around town? I am familiar with St. Louis and Kansas City but not Columbia. Thanks!

Yea, I've heard the same. They accept so few students per month that its extremely difficult to get accepted to Mizzou early on. You need an incredible application, and Mizzou is big on "best fit".

Can current students tell us a little bit about Columbia and good spots around town? I am familiar with St. Louis and Kansas City but not Columbia. Thanks!

CoMo is very much a college town. Besides Mizzou there are two other colleges, although Mizzou is by far the biggest and most important. With that there's a pretty neat downtown area with lots of restaurants, shopping, and bars (which are all super affordable because they rely on college kids). If you're into hiking or outdoors stuff there are some good trails around and lots of parks within 20-30 minutes that have neat scenery and hikes. As far as art and music, Columbia does first Fridays where you can walk through downtown art galleries and pick up a glass of wine as you look around, and we do have some decent concerts but for big name people you'll have to drive to KC or STL (both 2 hours away). It definitely isn't going to have as extensive an art/music/culinary scene as a big city, but on the other hand it is SUPER affordable and, like the rest of the midwest, very friendly. And if you love football, we tailgate like the SEC.

For posterity's sake, status unchanged today.

Same, I'm just waiting for March at this point. I probably wont be one of the 5 they pick every month until March. Thats if I even make to March without getting cut.

So they can still potentially reject you if you're still on the applicant list several months from now?

Well if you make it to the alternate list... they arent going to outright reject you until the class is Full. But yea anything in between that, and they can reject you during any of these months.

II yesterday! This is my undergraduate institution. Been out of school for 4 years now. Finishing up an MBA now. Was starting to think this may never happen for me at Mizzou! Anyone else interviewing on the 15th?!

Is there a way to check application status ?

II yesterday! This is my undergraduate institution. Been out of school for 4 years now. Finishing up an MBA now. Was starting to think this may never happen for me at Mizzou! Anyone else interviewing on the 15th?!

When did you complete your secondary application ?

Got an interview invite yesterday! I didn't see it until today because it was in the junk folder. So excited!!! Mizzou is my first choice school. Interview date 12/15. LizzyM around 69, in state. Complete 9/9.

Hoping for some good news from y'all. I'm an in-state applicant, lived in Missouri all my life, and I sent in my secondary application on 10/9 and never heard anything. Thought I had a really good app, 512 MCAT and 3.81 GPA, lots of volunteer and shadowing, but it turns out they never got my application fee. It's due the 15th and I'm driving up there to hand deliver it because apparently it got lost in the mail, but I'm assuming they haven't even reviewed my application since it was probably not "complete" without the money. Would this affect how they view the application that much?

Hoping for some good news from y'all. I'm an in-state applicant, lived in Missouri all my life, and I sent in my secondary application on 10/9 and never heard anything. Thought I had a really good app, 512 MCAT and 3.81 GPA, lots of volunteer and shadowing, but it turns out they never got my application fee. It's due the 15th and I'm driving up there to hand deliver it because apparently it got lost in the mail, but I'm assuming they haven't even reviewed my application since it was probably not "complete" without the money. Would this affect how they view the application that much?

Other than your application not being completed until they get receipt of the cash, it shouldn't impact it negatively. I'm sure you're not the first person who got screwed by lost mail.

All aboard the emotional roller coaster! It's good to see everyone showing up for our monthly ride. :D

Reactions: 2 users
this thread is so quiet about ii's

Unchanged. Of course.

Hopefully Star Wars will help heal this gaping wound...

Reactions: 1 users