2015-2016 Wayne State University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are they still doing II?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted this morning! Has there been any info about when their second look weekend is?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! Was waitlisted for 2 months.

Canadian here too, after 3 years of applying finally got my first acceptance. Still hoping for a Canadian school this cycle however.

Good luck to everyone else!

Reactions: 11 users
Canadian here. Just got my waitlist email. I guess part of me is happy, but so exhausted from being in limbo for so long.

Good luck everyone!
Have you been on the waitlist or is this your " first" waitlist with them?

I've been on their waitlist since late January and I haven't heard anything at all from them today.

Reactions: 1 users
Sort of seems like they're releasing news for the applicants that interviewed most recently first and working backwards, no?

Accepted! Was waitlisted for 2 months.

Canadian here too, after 3 years of applying finally got my first acceptance. Still hoping for a Canadian school this cycle however.

Good luck to everyone else!
how did you hear? e-mail?

Did anyone else not get an email?
I'm on the waitlist and I got one...
Sort of seems like they're releasing news for the applicants that interviewed most recently first and working backwards, no?
I hope so...I was in the first batch of II and I don't have an email from them today....it's making me worried that everyone who received emails are accepted and I don't have one :(

Accepted!! Also canadian. Interviewed 1/25. Really enjoyed my interview day here!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Seems like all of the results came in for the January interviews . It looks like only people that were accepted off of the prior waitlist were notified today. I hope I'm wrong. I'm on the waitlist, didn't hear anything today yet.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all those accepted!

I'm a bit confused because I was placed on the alternate list today, but I was told I wouldn't hear back on a decision until 3/23 (I interviewed this past Monday, 2/22). So interesting to have a turnaround time that quickly! Did others who recently interviewed also get an e-mail?

Also wondering about wait list movement... a little nervewracking considering April is around the corner...

Does anyone know if Wayne State rejects post-interview or is everyone placed on the waitlist?

On another note, I'm trying to crunch some numbers here and am open to some input.

I see on the WSU website that 164 offers were extended to OOS applicants and 72 ultimately matriculated for the 2015 entering class (http://admissions.med.wayne.edu/application/class-profiles.php).

From MSAR, it looks like 171 were OOS applicants were interviewed and 40 matriculated. Is this from the 2014 entering class?

Although we can't make very reliable comparisons between the two sets of data that are presumably from different years, it looks like OOS interviewees have a pretty good shot of getting accepted to Wayne whether they're waitlisted or accepted outright. But, do they also send rejections to waitlisted candidates?

Does anyone know if Wayne State rejects post-interview or is everyone placed on the waitlist?

On another note, I'm trying to crunch some numbers here and am open to some input.

I see on the WSU website that 164 offers were extended to OOS applicants and 72 ultimately matriculated for the 2015 entering class (http://admissions.med.wayne.edu/application/class-profiles.php).

From MSAR, it looks like 171 were OOS applicants were interviewed and 40 matriculated. Is this from the 2014 entering class?

Although we can't make very reliable comparisons between the two sets of data that are presumably from different years, it looks like OOS interviewees have a pretty good shot of getting accepted to Wayne whether they're waitlisted or accepted outright. But, do they also send rejections to waitlisted candidates?
Last year I was wait listed and then rejected before the end of the cycle. For what it's worth.

Does the waitlist only move on the 1 or 2 days where offers are released each month?

You are forgetting Canadian applicants. I believe msar said ~30 Canadians matriculated last year, which makes up for the 32 extra "oos" matriculants on Wayne state's website.

For the people that never got off the waitlist in previous years, when did you interview during your cycle? And did you contact Wayne state before the end of the cycle to ask about your chances? What did they say? i'm a neurotic waitlister trying to gauge my chances in case you can't tell lol.

Last edited:
For the people that never got off the waitlist in previous years, when did you interview during your cycle? And did you contact Wayne state before the end of the cycle to ask about your chances? What did they say? i'm a neurotic waitlister trying to gauge my chances in case you can't tell lol.
I interviewed December 16th and was informed via snail mail in early April that I was no longer being considered for the class of 2015. When I called to inquire they said that given "less than usual" anticipated wait list movement, they were cutting people in the back 2/3rds early because they didn't see them getting in off of it. So a mercy killing basically.

Hi everryone,

I am Canadian as well, inteviewed last week and got accepted today. I'm so excited! Just a question for upper termers or those who have gotten accepted before me, the acceptance email has no instructions or attachments that I can see, is everything going to be mailed to my address or am I missing something?

You are forgetting Canadian applicants. I believe msar said ~30 Canadians matriculated last year, which makes up for the 32 extra "oos" matriculants on Wayne state's website.

You're correct. On the WSU website, they combined American OOS and International applicants into a single group.

So, in other words, according to MSAR (2014), 231 OOS and Int'l applicants were interviewed and 76 matriculated. From the WSU website (2015), 164 acceptance offers for OOS+Int'l were made and 72 matriculated.

By these numbers, I would guess that this year, that the chances of acceptance for an OOS or Int'l applicant who interviewed is approximately 164/231 or ~70%. It sounds like no one's rejected outright post-interview. Here's to hoping!

Does anyone know if interview invitations are still going out? Canadian applicant still waiting. Any others Canadians still waiting for an interview?

I am waiting too as well, Canadian here as well. Been complete since August 11th, 2015, lol. Hope the three of us get one eventually! :)

Hi everryone,

I am Canadian as well, inteviewed last week and got accepted today. I'm so excited! Just a question for upper termers or those who have gotten accepted before me, the acceptance email has no instructions or attachments that I can see, is everything going to be mailed to my address or am I missing something?
Congratulations on your acceptance my fellow Canadian! Yes, it will be mailed to the address you listed on your AMCAS application. Mine was a bit delayed so I called the admissions office and they were able to send me an electronic copy.

Looks like they're taking their sweet time telling us waitlisted folks that we're still on the waitlist :p

Has anyone who interviewed before January 25 heard anything as of now?

Does someone know if the alternate list is the same as the wait list? (I've heard that at other schools the alternate list is given lower priority than the wait list.)

My brother applied to Michigan Schools 2 cycles ago, interviewed at WSU in October and was on the WSU alternate list for months, sent in 2 updates. He rec'd an email each decision date telling him there was no change in his status. He finally got a letter in snail mail from WSU in June asking him to apply again if he wasn't accepted that cycle. He already had a couple of acceptances, so he wasn't an reapplicant. He had a LizzyM of 70, and matriculated at U of Michigan. Now is an M2.

Last edited:
I still haven't gotten my decision. Has anyone that was waiting for today's date not received an email?

Given the amount of Canadians being accepted today, would it be accurate to say, "It is a great day for Canada, and therefore the world" ?

Congratulations to all those accepted today.

Congrats to all those accepted!

I'm a bit confused because I was placed on the alternate list today, but I was told I wouldn't hear back on a decision until 3/23 (I interviewed this past Monday, 2/22). So interesting to have a turnaround time that quickly! Did others who recently interviewed also get an e-mail?

Also wondering about wait list movement... a little nervewracking considering April is around the corner...
Same here

Given the amount of Canadians being accepted today, would it be accurate to say, "It is a great day for Canada, and therefore the world" ?

Congratulations to all those accepted today.
Canadians are definitely winning today.

Hey all,
If you just got waitlisted like I did, you might want to check out the waitlist thread I started up:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/wayne-state-university-wait-list-thread-2015-2016.1185833/

On this thread, there is a poll that you can vote on to show your current status on the waitlist. This way, we can get an idea of how many people are waitlisted, and what seems to be happening to them in the following months.
As a matter of fact, it would be awesome if those peeps who already moved off of the waitlist could chime in too!

Oh, and CONGRATS for those who got accepted today!!

No email at all today.... been on alternate list since November

Reactions: 3 users
Utter silence over here... I might call this afternoon. I was supposed to find out last release date and got pushed to this one. So frustrating!

Probably won't be much movement until April, considering they are sill interviewing a high volume of students.