2020-2021 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Wayne State University

Secondary Prompts 2020-2021:

During the stress of the pandemic, what was the one thing you learned about yourself? How has that affected your outlook on the role of medicine?

Are empathy and sympathy the same? Please discuss their importance in the practice of medicine.

Describe what specific opportunities/resources are offered at Wayne State University School of Medicine that you plan to utilize as a medical student, and why?

each 1000 characters

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How does the EDP submission timeline work? Does verification for EDP applications take as long as it does for normal applications?

OOS secondary received!

here are the prompts @TheDataKing

During the stress of the pandemic, what was the one thing you learned about yourself? How has that affected your outlook on the role of medicine?

Are empathy and sympathy the same? Please discuss their importance in the practice of medicine.

Describe what specific opportunities/resources are offered at Wayne State University School of Medicine that you plan to utilize as a medical student, and why?

each 1000 characters

Reactions: 5 users
Secondary received. Bummed that the prompts changed.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They changed their prompts but it's doable. Gluck ya'll

Got a secondary today and I submitted 7/10! Good luck everyone, you're gonna do amazing! Sending love and support. <3 <3

P.S: I'm excited about the empathy vs sympathy prompt I had a whole lecture in class about the difference so I think it's really cool!

Got a secondary today and I submitted 7/10! Good luck everyone, you're gonna do amazing! Sending love and support. <3 <3

P.S: I'm excited about the empathy vs sympathy prompt I had a whole lecture in class about the difference so I think it's really cool!
You've submitted 7 out of 10 secondaries or you submitted July 10th for Wayne State?

Would you mind giving me a TLDR version of the difference? There is a lot of conflicting definitions online.
I always thought sympathy meant feeling sorry for while empathy was understanding

Would you mind giving me a TLDR version of the difference? There is a lot of conflicting definitions online.
I always thought sympathy meant feeling sorry for while empathy was understanding

Sorry, I don't want to run the risk of you potentially taking my ideas ;)
Hope you understand!

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else seeing the prompts from last year instead of the ones posted above?

Reactions: 2 users
Omg this happened to me too. I was freaking out! Do you think they made a mistake?
ahhh glad to hear I'm not the only one!! I'm going to email admissions to clarify and I'll let you know what they say!

Reactions: 1 users
They want YOUR thoughts on this :)
I think my problem was not being able to decide on a definition, but after a whole day of brewing on it, I was able to write a response I'm really happy with!! :)

I think my problem was not being able to decide on a definition, but after a whole day of brewing on it, I was able to write a response I'm really happy with!! :)

Yay so happy for you! I knew you could do it! :)
I haven't even started lmaoo I'm too lazy

Application verified yesterday morning, secondary received today. OOS

"During the stress of the pandemic, what was the one thing you learned about yourself? How has that affected your outlook on the role of medicine?"

Does anyone else feel like these two questions don't connect? Like they're asking how a personal trait has affected my outlook on the role of medicine? I'm just a little confused on what they're trying to get at here. Would really appreciate some input.

Reactions: 4 users
"During the stress of the pandemic, what was the one thing you learned about yourself? How has that affected your outlook on the role of medicine?"

Does anyone else feel like these two questions don't connect? Like they're asking how a personal trait has affected my outlook on the role of medicine? I'm just a little confused on what they're trying to get at here. Would really appreciate some input.
Yeah I find it a weird question too.
Seems like they are asking how LEARNING about a personal trait affected your outlook, rather than how the personal trait itself impacted it? Still pretty hard to connect without pushing too far.

Does anyone know if Wayne State will hold my application until my new MCAT score is received? I have already taken it before, but the score was low. I'll be retaking it on 8/8 and already submitted my secondary. I am afraid they will reject me before the new score comes in, but I did not want to wait until the end of August to submit. Any thoughts?

Does anyone know if Wayne State will hold my application until my new MCAT score is received? I have already taken it before, but the score was low. I'll be retaking it on 8/8 and already submitted my secondary. I am afraid they will reject me before the new score comes in, but I did not want to wait until the end of August to submit. Any thoughts?
I think in general schools won’t wait for your new MCAT score to review and neither do they go back to applications they reviewed. Not sure where Wayne stands on this but since you’ve submitted there’s not much you can do. Hope for the best though.

I think in general schools won’t wait for your new MCAT score to review and neither do they go back to applications they reviewed. Not sure where Wayne stands on this but since you’ve submitted there’s not much you can do. Hope for the best though.
Even if you update your AMCAS application with your new MCAT date? The schools will not wait?

Very glad to hear that I wasn't the only person super confused about this question! Some other secondaries I've received have also asked if I think the role of medicine has changed due to COVID? I'm like "Uh, people die and society collapses and medicine keeps that from happening"? Haha

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Very glad to hear that I wasn't the only person super confused about this question! Some other secondaries I've received have also asked if I think the role of medicine has changed due to COVID? I'm like "Uh, people die and society collapses and medicine keeps that from happening"? Haha

YES! I saw that on the one for QU also I was pissed that one had most of its questions changed but that's for a different thread :)

My secondary prompt is different from the one above, weird.

Last edited:
Did anyone have trouble creating their account to complete the secondary? I followed the instructions on the secondary invite message but didn't get an email so as to create my password. My email is a hotmail.com (yes, I'm a dinosaur or insanely stubborn) but I've never had trouble so far. I mean, they sent me the secondary to this account anyway.

Thanks!

Anybody know how many letters of rec Wayne State allows? It says three on their site, but was wondering if they allow more.

Anybody know how many letters of rec Wayne State allows? It says three on their site, but was wondering if they allow more.
You can submit as many as AMCAS allows, just follow the recommendations for who should write the required 3.

What's the consensus on the secondary? Is everyone receiving the 20-21 one? Trying to pre-write.

ahhh glad to hear I'm not the only one!! I'm going to email admissions to clarify and I'll let you know what they say!
What's the consensus on the secondary? Is everyone receiving the 20-21 one? Trying to pre-write.

I suspect that they have not been sending out more secondaries to clear up this issue. @kris111816, Have you heard back from admissions?

Anything thing back from admissions on what we should do?
the response I got from admissions " It appears there was an issue with the secondary prompts for those applicants applying to the combined MD/graduate degree program. We are working on resolving the issue and will update the questions shortly. "

You can submit as many as AMCAS allows, just follow the recommendations for who should write the required 3.

Is it to any detriment if I decide to include additional letters? (two in this case)