2020-2021 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yea I am pretty surprised that we haven't seen any movement since WSU's waitlist usually moved quite actively in the past. I say we probably should wait around for this week and if we still don't see any movement by next week, it would be fair to go into panic mode. LOL, but just not yet.
Wayne's first day of WL movement in the last four years has been like this:
2019-2020: May 3rd
2018-2019: May 7th
2017-2018: May 1st
2016-2017: May 5th

Based on this record, I don't think we are in the danger zone yet. Maybe if we don't hear back by the end of this week then we can start to worry. That being said, Wayne has never before sent this many acceptances (675) before the PTE deadline. That could mean a lot less movement for us since approximately 2/3 of that number have to decline their offers for space to open up.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Wayne's first day of WL movement in the last four years has been like this:
2019-2020: May 3rd
2018-2019: May 7th
2017-2018: May 1st
2016-2017: May 5th

Based on this record, I don't think we are in the danger zone yet. Maybe if we don't hear back by the end of this week then we can start to worry. That being said, Wayne has never before sent this many acceptances (675) before the PTE deadline. That could mean a lot less movement for us since approximately 2/3 of that number have to decline their offers for space to open up.
Yea i think higher number of acceptances can lead to either 1) initial yield was bad enough that WL had to move earlier and bigger and the trend continues (which is fine since WSU prepared this with more interviews) or 2) less movement for us for the opposite reason. (Basically what you mentioned) Well, we will never know for now, so let’s all hope for a great movement soon :)

Reactions: 2 users
Yea i think higher number of acceptances can lead to either 1) initial yield was bad enough that WL had to move earlier and bigger and the trend continues (which is fine since WSU prepared this with more interviews) or 2) less movement for us for the opposite reason. (Basically what you mentioned) Well, we will never know for now, so let’s all hope for a great movement soon :)
Agreed. My bet is on Thursday

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone from the FB group be so kind to give us an estimate ratio or number of accepted students to current students and faculty? Would really appreciate it

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone from the FB group be so kind to give us an estimate ratio or number of accepted students to current students and faculty? Would really appreciate it
Hard to tell...bunch of med students joined in the group.
GroupMe: 193, maybe some med students here?
FaceBook: 427, of which 5 Admin and idk how many Med Students.

Thank you so much

Reactions: 1 user
Groupme is probably more accurate since I think there are only a couple of med students in there

Does everyone join groupme though? I'd be delighted if that many seats still need to be filled.
I’ve also seen a few people leave the GroupMe too. Probably accepted other schools. So I’m sure there are spots opening up!

• Care
I’ve also seen a few people leave the GroupMe too. Probably accepted other schools. So I’m sure there are spots opening up!
this is true. honestly ive seen a good amount of people leave. i feel like almost every day there are people leaving

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe those who got As are too busy celebrating to tell us . . . Jk :)
haha maybe... especially if they sent out a very few

How is everyone trying to stay productive and sane?

haha maybe... especially if they sent out a very few

How is everyone trying to stay productive and sane?
Who says we are 🥲 jk

Tbh just taking it one day at a time. Cant put my eggs all in one basket kind of thing

You guys the FB group number is going up again today... :oops: Has there been movement low-key?

• Wow
You guys the FB group number is going up again today... :oops: Has there been movement low-key?
I hiiiighly doubt there was any major movement without a single sdn user....plus i feel like fb is just super not representative

Can anyone on the fb page let us know if there have been any recent posts with accepted people off the waitlist? Im freaking out a little seeing that group member # rise

Last edited:
I really thought that there would be offers sent out today. Wayne really making us wait...

• Sad
Guys, i say give Wayne tomorrow, sat and sun, if they are still silent after, we can officially enter panic mode

Reactions: 5 users
Guys, i say give Wayne tomorrow, sat and sun, if they are still silent after, we can officially enter panic mode
Yes I agree . It’s still premature to panic. I’d even say give them until early next week before we enter panic mode

Would it be prudent to write a LOI at this point, or would it not make a difference?

Would it be prudent to write a LOI at this point, or would it not make a difference?
You can shoot your shot... but be aware that some people who had sent LOIs were rejected from the WL in the last two R waves.

I have sent in two letters of interest so far. If a wave happens and I don’t get good news, I might even send in a third

Tracker updated to 679. Those FB numbers were new acceptances....

They seem to be very much in full capacity for them to release only 4 new As

Game over?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users

Game over?
Well thats depressing af. Only 4?! see u next cycle folks

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Care

Game over?
🥲🥲🥲🥲🥲 entering panic mode

• Sad
next week is surely going to be an interesting week for us. unless Wayne's yield is so good that it defies the previous trend, Wayne will have to have more movement. I mean, I wish they would tell us what to expect, but we all know they won't so we shall see....

Slap that DNR order on my dreams, baby. 😔

When they had taketh stressedpremed123 from us, the remaining SDN waitlisters were forsaken. Be great doctors y'all.

It's been real. ☮️

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
next week is surely going to be an interesting week for us. unless Wayne's yield is so good that it defies the previous trend, Wayne will have to have more movement. I mean, I wish they would tell us what to expect, but we all know they won't so we shall see....
Wayne will probably ghost us next week too 💀 🥴

• Sad
We are currently sitting at around the same yield as last year though. 290/709 vs 290/679. The yield is only calculated considering the total number of admission offers I guess, it doesn't matter whether the number was pre or post PTE deadline as long as the total number stays around the same by the end of the cycle. Or at least this is how I thought it is calculated, No? :unsure:

We are currently sitting at around the same yield as last year though. 290/709 vs 290/679. The yield is only calculated considering the total number of admission offers I guess, it doesn't matter whether the number was pre or post PTE deadline as long as the total number stays around the same by the end of the cycle. Or at least this is how I thought it is calculated, No? :unsure:
i think it was 725 ish total acceptances for last cycle (not that it makes a huge difference, but still around 40-50 more spots.) My speculation was that Wayne had a massive acceptance wave from WL even before PTE date was due to super low yield the school had with initial acceptances. Schools would not be using waitlists unless available spots come up I assume. So unless that initial WL -> A wave had an amazing yield rate, I thought Wayne would need to utilize their WL more. But yea, in a more grand perspective, you are correct-- wayne is showing similar yield as of now.

Since there were so many more applicants this year in comparison to previous years, do you think this means that less people had multiple acceptances to choose from? This would cause less waitlist movement, right?
Yes it's possible and I think that's what's happened too. A lot of people secured only one A this cycle or are on multiple WLs with no As.

• Sad
Since there were so many more applicants this year in comparison to previous years, do you think this means that less people had multiple acceptances to choose from? This would cause less waitlist movement, right?
theoretically, more applicants should not affect the WL movement. It's more about how many IIs and initial acceptances have went out compared to previous cycles. Basically, the assumption of having more WL movement stems from the fact that many applicants were able to afford to attend all of their interviews since everything has been virtual this year. If schools sent out about the same number of IIs (we know Wayne didn't but there were other schools who claim that they kept everything the same this cycle), and over accepted as usual, then we can say that there is a high possibility of having more applicants with multiple acceptances. If this is true, WL movement should be larger than usual because one can only attend one school after all.

Now, the question is did schools really over accept as usual or did they accept a bit less due to the fear of having low yield? This question cannot be answered because we don't have data to back up our speculations. Some admins apparently admitted that schools were conservative with acceptances because they were worried about their yield. However, if they moved their WL before 4/15 like Wayne did, this shouldn't matter (but we know many schools do not move their WL until CTE date).

So my conclusion is that nobody knows what kind of movement will occur this cycle. But I am cautiously hopeful for now because many schools started their movement strong and big. Also Wayne being mid tier and pretty crazy expensive for OOS should potentially help with the movement (Usually mid tiers have pretty good 'trickle down' movement from kiddos who choose high tier schools). Only time will tell

Reactions: 4 users
Reading last year log, one can see that WL remained active until a week before the session starts.
yes but i also need to get myself together for this upcoming cycle and can’t do it til wsu tells me something ANYTHING 😭

I remember being at one of Wayne State's virtual coffee chats and an adcom who was there said quite plainly: "We plan on accepting about 675 students total." I'm pretty sure the acceptance tracker was at that number before April 30th, so maybe that means there won't be the kind of waitlist movement that has happened in the previous years?? Either way I gave up all hope and am sadly preparing for this next cycle :cryi: