-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 West Virginia University Application Thread
Started by M12B
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Which stop is the one that is at the parking garage? I am given three options: Morgantown Westover Terminal, Morgantown Depot and Mountaineer Station.
Mountaineer Station
what's interview day like? atmosphere during interview? type of questions? thanks!
You sit in a room with the other interviewees, get a packet, an introduction, meet the deans, watch a video about the school, take a tour, eat lunch, and then interview. The interview is relaxed and conversational. They ask you about your application and get you to elaborate about yourself. Mostly, they're looking to see if you'll be a good fit for the school. I can't stress enough... be yourself. Don't let the stress make you stiff, uncomfortable, or awkward.
You sit in a room with the other interviewees, get a packet, an introduction, meet the deans, watch a video about the school, take a tour, eat lunch, and then interview. The interview is relaxed and conversational. They ask you about your application and get you to elaborate about yourself. Mostly, they're looking to see if you'll be a good fit for the school. I can't stress enough... be yourself. Don't let the stress make you stiff, uncomfortable, or awkward.
thanks for the info
Finally got the letter, waitlisted. OOS so was expected but the letter was well written and inspired hope!
Finally got the letter, waitlisted. OOS so was expected but the letter was well written and inspired hope!
Just got my letter. Waitlisted OOS. Any idea what percentage usually come off the waitlist?
I believe that is how it works.
Everyone gets snail mail for each decision. If you got accepted, they send you an email AND a snail mail letter. Since you have only two weeks to accept or reject the offer, they email you in case the letter comes and you only have a day or two left to decide.
Anyone interviewing on 12/3 here?
T
Thpinky
No but I'm waitlisted for this date so hopefully someone will cancel their interview! lolAnyone interviewing on 12/3 here?
I also just got waitlisted
when did you interview?I also just got waitlisted
Any 10/14 interviewees hear back yet? They said they would discuss on Tuesday and get back to us by now.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got the waitlist letter! Interviewed 10/19. I've never been so excited to be on a waitlist before haha. I was really impressed with the school (especially the SIM lab!) so I hope I (and yall) get some love come Spring
That was a fast turn around! Is that only for waitlists that get notified that quickly?
Also, where do most people stay when interviewing over at WVU? I'll be interviewing there soon and need to book a hotel asap.
Also, where do most people stay when interviewing over at WVU? I'll be interviewing there soon and need to book a hotel asap.
That was a fast turn around! Is that only for waitlists that get notified that quickly?
Also, where do most people stay when interviewing over at WVU? I'll be interviewing there soon and need to book a hotel asap.
It just depends on when the committee meets to discuss the apps. They told my group that they were meeting the next day and that we'd probably hear back in a week.
I stayed at the Chestnut Boutique Hotel which was pretty nice. Huge room, king sized bed, and a floor length mirror which was great. They have a "grab and go" breakfast station on every floor which included a Keurig, fruit, granola bars, and some pastries. It was super quiet too. It's about 2.5 miles from the school, and in a kind of hard to find street, so you'd definitely want a GPS haha.
any recent interviews hear a decision yet?
It just depends on when the committee meets to discuss the apps. They told my group that they were meeting the next day and that we'd probably hear back in a week.
I stayed at the Chestnut Boutique Hotel which was pretty nice. Huge room, king sized bed, and a floor length mirror which was great. They have a "grab and go" breakfast station on every floor which included a Keurig, fruit, granola bars, and some pastries. It was super quiet too. It's about 2.5 miles from the school, and in a kind of hard to find street, so you'd definitely want a GPS haha.
Ah, okay makes sense then haha Thanks for the advice!
Anyone know what time the interview day ends?
Nvm, just noticed the email said it should end around 4pm (that is if i'm the last to interview)
Nvm, just noticed the email said it should end around 4pm (that is if i'm the last to interview)
Last edited:
Hi all!
Is the interview open file or closed file?
Is the interview open file or closed file?
Hi all!
Is the interview open file or closed file?
It is open file, and your interviewers will have extensively reviewed your application prior to the interview. They will most likely have your file in front of them with their notes about what questions they wanted to ask you. BUT, don't be intimidated, this is simply because they really just want to get to know you to see if you will be a good fit. It is very conversational and relaxed!
Most of the questions will probably be about your activities and experiences, and of course you are almost guaranteed to be asked "Why WVU?" Especially if you are OOS.
All hope is not lost. I have no ties with WV and was clear about that in my secondaries. I'm from California and made it apparent that my goal was to practice medicine and contribute to the state in anyway I could. I do not have the greatest of stats and am a non-traditional applicant. I was offered an acceptance this past week after a quick turn around. The interviewers were very comforting and the vibe was chill.
My advice is to own your flaws and to not get down on yourself by comparing yourselves to trolls on SDN. Don't be afraid to apply if that's what you really want to do. We all pretty much have the same things to say on secondaries so just remember to add your own swag to stick out (duh!) (can't believe I said swag)
My advice is to own your flaws and to not get down on yourself by comparing yourselves to trolls on SDN. Don't be afraid to apply if that's what you really want to do. We all pretty much have the same things to say on secondaries so just remember to add your own swag to stick out (duh!) (can't believe I said swag)
Waitlisted, OOS! Does anyone know if sending updates to them after waitlist will increase the chances of acceptance from waitlist?
Waitlisted, OOS! Does anyone know if sending updates to them after waitlist will increase the chances of acceptance from waitlist?
Wait until the April or so right about the time they start taking people off the waitlist. Let them know you're still interested, it's your first choice, you have done ____ to update your application with, etc. It won't make much difference now, but you really want them to know when they start looking at the waitlist again that WVU is where you want to be.
Thank you! I was just asking because a lot of OOS students that I was talking to said they were accepted off the waitlist in February and March.Wait until the April or so right about the time they start taking people off the waitlist. Let them know you're still interested, it's your first choice, you have done ____ to update your application with, etc. It won't make much difference now, but you really want them to know when they start looking at the waitlist again that WVU is where you want to be.
February wouldn't be a bad time for an update since some people will decide for other schools before the April deadline, but I definitely wouldn't send anything until after Christmas. IMHO there won't be a lot of movement for a little while so save up your updates (publication, continued strong interest, passed important course with an A, etc...) until the time it will do you the most good.Thank you! I was just asking because a lot of OOS students that I was talking to said they were accepted off the waitlist in February and March.
Got a secondary earlier this week as an OOS applicant with a LizzyM between 71-74. Is it with while for me to fill out this secondary? I don't have any ties to West Virginia.
Secondary = Interview Invite if that helps at all
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got a secondary earlier this week as an OOS applicant with a LizzyM between 71-74. Is it with while for me to fill out this secondary? I don't have any ties to West Virginia.
Depends on whether or not you will help them fulfill their mission to the underserved of West Virginia. If that's really not what you want to do, I wouldn't bother. (More to do with being OOS with no ties than your LizzyM.)
Didn't you already get an interview? lol just curious! Stalked your MDAppsWaiting 11+ weeks for a secondary and gosh be darned I am going to be filling it out the second I get it
Didn't you already get an interview? lol just curious! Stalked your MDApps
Hahahaha
Yes you are completely right.. I thought I was on the VCU thread (which makes me want to pull my hair out)
I'll edit it 🙂
But I would still say complete it within the 2 weeks! Secondary = Invite from what I have seen
Just a heads up for anyone that is within driving distance and wants an earlier interview date...
There is one spot open for November 11th on Interview Broker!
There is one spot open for November 11th on Interview Broker!
T
Thpinky
Yah I saw that! I was so excited and wanted it but I received a one week notice for an interview at my state school on the same day so I can't make it! 🙁Just a heads up for anyone that is within driving distance and wants an earlier interview date...
There is one spot open for November 11th on Interview Broker!
Hoping somebody will take it so an earlier spot will open on a different date
Yah I saw that! I was so excited and wanted it but I received a one week notice for an interview at my state school on the same day so I can't make it! 🙁
Hoping somebody will take it so an earlier spot will open on a different date
Congrats on the interview at your state school though!
Just withdrew my application from the Waitlist (OOS), hopefully that moves someone up in the rank! It was a privilege to interview at WVU and experience the culture and community, good luck to those waiting!
Accepted!! Thank God, so happy right now 🙂
Accepted!!! OOS applicant
IS or OOS? Congrats btw 🙂Accepted!! Thank God, so happy right now 🙂
What day did the most recent acceptances interview (if you don't mind sharing that information)?Thanks!
OOS!
What day did the most recent acceptances interview (if you don't mind sharing that information)?
I don't want to share the exact date, but I interviewed within the past two weeks. If that helps?
Ok, thanksI don't want to share the exact date, but I interviewed within the past two weeks. If that helps?
For anyone who's been accepted, the acceptance letter says that they also require our SSN and to send it via snail mail. Did you guys just write it on the Technical Standards Page or what did you do?
Thanks!
Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yeah i just used the space for it on the technical standardsFor anyone who's been accepted, the acceptance letter says that they also require our SSN and to send it via snail mail. Did you guys just write it on the Technical Standards Page or what did you do?
Thanks!
yeah i just used the space for it on the technical standards
Thanks! When did you next hear back from them?
Thanks! When did you next hear back from them?
I haven't yet. I mailed the standards back last week, it probably got there Thursday or Friday. it says somewhere that upon receipt of the standards page they will send out the invoice so I'm assuming that will come sometime this week
I realize WVU interviews a lot OOS, but does anyone care to guess (or know) how many interviewed OOS applicants withdrawal after interviewing?