2016-2017 Mayo (AZ) Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't heard anything from either campus since mid July. Anyone on the same boat?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
On interview day I was told ~400 interviews, ~85 acceptances, and than there will be an alternate list...by the language it sounds like 86 students will be accepted off the bat with supplementation from the waitlist thereafter. Can anyone confirm if they heard a similar sentiment on their interview day? I have read somewhere closer to 75 TOTAL acceptances in the past but I know this is a funky kind of year

On interview day I was told ~400 interviews, ~85 acceptances, and than there will be an alternate list...by the language it sounds like 86 students will be accepted off the bat with supplementation from the waitlist thereafter. Can anyone confirm if they heard a similar sentiment on their interview day? I have read somewhere closer to 75 TOTAL acceptances in the past but I know this is a funky kind of year
Those are usually the numbers for Minnesota (other than the increase in interviews this year).

Members don't see this ad :)
Those are usually the numbers for Minnesota (other than the increase in interviews this year).
At AZ, they said that they anticipate 70 - 80 offers of admission. Now, I always thought that the # of offers included people accepted off the waitlist - is that wrong?

Also, anyone who interviewed, were most of the people who also interviewed with you male and also white? It was like that on my day and I was kinda hoping for more diversity...
So should we expect as the consensus 70-80 before alternate or after? I'm pretty unclear on this myself

Also we had a predominantly white group butslightly more females than males iirc

So should we expect as the consensus 70-80 before alternate or after? I'm pretty unclear on this myself

Also we had a predominantly white group butslightly more females than males iirc
Keep in mind someone could look white, but not be white.

This has been said before but I wanted to chime in: I am really dubious that are going to manage pulling off the same acceptance to matriculation ratio that Rochester has in their first year, but power to them for trying. I would bet my bonnet they will offer closer to 100 acceptances total. It's clearly going to be a great school (in my eyes) but there are just too many other variables at play to expect that kind of an offer retention.

Reactions: 4 users
I got an interview at AZ very quickly, way back in July. I haven't heard a peep from MN.

Strange...

Reactions: 1 users
I got an interview at AZ very quickly, way back in July. I haven't heard a peep from MN.

Strange...
Same boat as you.

This has been said before but I wanted to chime in: I am really dubious that are going to manage pulling off the same acceptance to matriculation ratio that Rochester has in their first year, but power to them for trying. I would bet my bonnet they will offer closer to 100 acceptances total. It's clearly going to be a great school (in my eyes) but there are just too many other variables at play to expect that kind of an offer retention.
Definitely agree with this. Especially if they don't offer the financial benefits like they've done in the past at Rochester (which they hinted that they probably won't be able to do, unfortunately).

Definitely agree with this. Especially if they don't offer the financial benefits like they've done in the past at Rochester (which they hinted that they probably won't be able to do, unfortunately).
they literally told our interview group "financial need only." Unless they just wanted to surprise us with full rides for the first years!:heckyeah:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
they literally told our interview group "financial need only." Unless they just wanted to surprise us with full rides for the first years!:heckyeah:

FWIW when I interviewed, they told me they expected to maintain roughly the same average debt upon graduation.

I don't recall numbers, but they definitely mentioned to my group that part of Mayo's mission is to produce doctors who don't need to make career decisions based on excessive debt.

Reactions: 6 users
I've had complete silence since July. Surprised I didn't get the ax yesterday. Is there still hope?!? When will this torture be over?

I don't recall numbers, but they definitely mentioned to my group that part of Mayo's mission is to produce doctors who don't need to make career decisions based on excessive debt.
Words are nice.

The only thing that matters is if they offer aid with acceptances. That's when we'll find out.

Words are nice.

The only thing that matters is if they offer aid with acceptances. That's when we'll find out.

What an unnecessary comment. Obviously I was only relaying what I was told, as was everyone else.

What an unnecessary comment. Obviously I was only relaying what I was told, as was everyone else.
I wasn't referring to you but to Mayo. Mayo can say whatever they want but if they don't back it up then it doesn't mean anything.

I know you're not in charge of Mayo'a financial aid haha

I don't think this was meant to be insulting. Just that sometimes schools don't hold up to their promises. We are all on the same team here!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I guess I'm the @GrumpyGus today :)

Prob because my state MD school has been calling people with acceptances all day and I'm still waaaaaiting....

Reactions: 2 users
I think on my interview day, I was told they were planning on beginning decisions to those who have been interviewed/ranked before February 1st. Have others who interviewed more recently heard this as well?

Anybody remember when they said acceptance decisions come out?

Anybody remember when they said acceptance decisions come out?

From an email to me (answering a tangentially related question) on 12/13:

"The admissions committee plans to make final decisions after the new year, potentially in February 2017"

From an email to me (answering a tangentially related question) on 12/13:

"The admissions committee plans to make final decisions after the new year, potentially in February 2017"
I thought I heard recently at my interview by February 1st that they were gonna start. When was the email sent?

Oh im sorry! I misread your initial response (thinking you were saying the post you were answering was sent on 12/13)

Anyone else get the financial aid email today?
Yes. Unfortunately they made it very clear that I shouldn't infer anything from getting that email with regard to appointment

Just got it. I knew there would be posts here - surprised its just 3 ;)

How long does it typically take to be ranked?

they told us 2-4 weeks during my interview; it depends on when both of your interviewers are present at their admissions committee meetings

Quick question- do most applicants get a LOR request? Been chillin on that since September.

Quick question- do most applicants get a LOR request? Been chillin on that since September.
They review applications before asking for LORs, so I know that many do not get the request.

Financial aid for both campuses is need based (Mayo has been doing need based aid for a while). That said, based on my family income I was not expecting much from Mayo after I was accepted last year (I got very little aid in undergrad). I was pleasantly surprised and it ended up being a very generous package and cost of attendance is significantly less than my state med schools, with some other nice perks (free laptop, free health insurance, free gym membership, etc). Mayo is one of the most affordable private medical schools and they want to stay that way.

Reactions: 3 users
Financial aid for both campuses is need based (Mayo has been doing need based aid for a while). That said, based on my family income I was not expecting much from Mayo after I was accepted last year (I got very little aid in undergrad). I was pleasantly surprised and it ended up being a very generous package and cost of attendance is significantly less than my state med schools, with some other nice perks (free laptop, free health insurance, free gym membership, etc). Mayo is one of the most affordable private medical schools and they want to stay that way.
Yeah of course. I was just addressing the people who were hoping for a full ride for everyone because it's a first year med school and a lot of them seem to do that.

This wait until February for decisions is going to actually kill me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
When did you hear February? At my December interview date, they indicated by around February 1st decisions would start going out. Maybe that changed more recently

When did you hear February? At my December interview date, they indicated by around February 1st decisions would start going out. Maybe that changed more recently
Might want to double check your post.

Which month do you think February 1st falls in? :)

Reactions: 6 users
Well I figured by February 1st meant sometime before February 1st (as in January)

I guess either way we need to wait at least a month but I really want to find out now! Easily my first choice

For the people who got IIs at both campuses... did you use the same essays for both pre-interview questionnaires or did you change it up?

For the people who got IIs at both campuses... did you use the same essays for both pre-interview questionnaires or did you change it up?
They don't communicate. Your app at one is independent of the other. So it shouldn't matter

I changed it slightly to reflect what I liked about mayo after the MN II