2016-2017 Ohio State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Current m1 here. There's definitely more than 10 slots per interview. I think there was like 18 at my interview last year. I see about the same number every time I see them hanging out in the lobby on interview mornings. You are correct that there are two interview days per week.

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!
You should be mo
Can any current students comment on how students are ranked for the MSPE? I read that students are clustered based on performance in Parts 1&2 of the curriculum, but I'm not sure how this is done since the grading system is Pass/Fail. Do they keep track of actual grades and use that?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes, there are actual grades that are used for the purposes of internal ranking. You will see all of your test scores and know your average as well as the class average for exams, clinical evals, etc. For the pre-clinical years, that shakes out to pass/fail. Do better than 70% for the block, you pass. For third year, there is Honors, Letters, Satisfactory as passing grades based on shelf exams and clinical evaluations.

Your MSPE will show your quartile performance, as well as discuss any rotations you honor or get letters in. If you're just satisfactory, like the vast majority of people, then no additional comments are made beyond the usual "So and so was hardworking, exhibited excellent patient skills, formulated good plans, blah blah blah".

Members don't see this ad.

Guys what's the interview day like? Had anyone had any interesting or really good experience? Any tips?

Yay II! Gotta check if the date works but I'll try to make it.
Says last interview by 3, so flights after 5ish okay?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yay II! Gotta check if the date works but I'll try to make it.
Says last interview by 3, so flights after 5ish okay?
The airport is around 30 min away but traffic going through downtown and the airport can be pretty heavy at this point of the day, so 5 should be okay but I would recommend 6 just to be safe!

Reactions: 1 users
I have yet to open the portal but I'll let you know once I'm home!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know when you typically find out about scholarships?
I think I remember in my interview day they said merit scholarships could come out at any time, including with your initial acceptance. That said, I've known for a few months but haven't heard anything.

I am going to Ohio State for interview next week, people interviewed there, can you provide some information, tips, etc. Much appreciated. Are the questions mainly about AMCAS package?

I am going to Ohio State for interview next week, people interviewed there, can you provide some information, tips, etc. Much appreciated. Are the questions mainly about AMCAS package?
Go through the thread. There's been plenty of conversation about the interview process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called yesterday. They have only filled their spots through mid February and they interview all the way through March, so I don't think there is any reason they aren't still sending them out. At 10 interviews per day and 2 interview days per week, that looks like about 80ish more interview spots left. Give or take of course.

I will never understand this cycle. I was rejected by Cincinnati but interviewed at a top school in the past two weeks. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The process is not one to be understood. Different for everyone.

Does anyone know if osu provides any details on where an applicant falls on the waitlist once that comes out?

Congratulations! What are the dates being offered?

Thanks! I was given Feb 27th but just rescheduled to the following week. It seems like they're still filling up early-mid March spots now so there is definitely still hope for anyone that hasn't received an II yet!

Reactions: 4 users
To everyone who just got an II, congratulations! I actually just had my interview today and thought I would share a little about the process.

The day is really relaxed and OSU really tries to sell themselves to you, which is incredible. You have two interviews: one lasting 45 minutes with a faculty member and another lasting 30 minutes with a student or resident. They are prepped to not ask ethical dilemmas or about healthcare because these are topics that OSU feels like they have four years to teach their students. The questions instead are more behavioral based. For example, my student interviewer asked me things like, "What's a situation in which you had to be a leader? What's a situation in which you were criticized and how did you react?" Both interviewers made me feel very comfortable and it was more conversational than other interviews I had attended.

I had a great time during my interview day and I hope everyone enjoys it as much as me! Also, the last interview day is March 29th, so there is still a chance if you haven't yet received an II.

Reactions: 11 users
To everyone who just got an II, congratulations! I actually just had my interview today and thought I would share a little about the process.

The day is really relaxed and OSU really tries to sell themselves to you, which is incredible. You have two interviews: one lasting 45 minutes with a faculty member and another lasting 30 minutes with a student or resident. They are prepped to not ask ethical dilemmas or about healthcare because these are topics that OSU feels like they have four years to teach their students. The questions instead are more behavioral based. For example, my student interviewer asked me things like, "What's a situation in which you had to be a leader? What's a situation in which you were criticized and how did you react?" Both interviewers made me feel very comfortable and it was more conversational than other interviews I had attended.

I had a great time during my interview day and I hope everyone enjoys it as much as me! Also, the last interview day is March 29th, so there is still a chance if you haven't yet received an II.
You are a benevolent human being! Thank you so much for sharing

Looks like the Ohio state college of medicine class of 2021 Facebook page already has 255 members. close to a full class already?

Looks like the Ohio state college of medicine class of 2021 Facebook page already has 255 members. Looks like close to a full class already

A lot of those members are not necessarily matriculating. Everyone has until april 30 to withdraw.

Looks like the Ohio state college of medicine class of 2021 Facebook page already has 255 members. close to a full class already?

I may be wrong but I think there's quite a few members from other classes because people are posting advertising housing that they have as upperclassmen.

If they are already scheduling into March, pretty safe to say they're done giving out II? Can any current students comment on this?

If they are already scheduling into March, pretty safe to say they're done giving out II? Can any current students comment on this?

I had 2 friends receive beginning of March for last cycle, so if you've already sent an update then I'd just sit tight

Received an II on Monday, just withdrew my application for a 3/1 interview. Hope one of you gets it!!

Reactions: 6 users
Here's to hoping those of us waiting get interviews!

Reactions: 4 users
Received an II on Monday, just withdrew my application for a 3/1 interview. Hope one of you gets it!!
Just curious -- What made you decide to stick with OU-HCOM instead of going to an MD program?

Reactions: 2 users
Just curious -- What made you decide to stick with OU-HCOM instead of going to an MD program?

Honestly, I interviewed here last year and was waitlisted. I have interviewed a few other places, and I was the more comfortable at OUHCOM. I was intimidated by OSU. OUHCOM interview didn't even make me nervous I felt like they really just wanted to have a convo. As well as I am very interested in primary care and I love the osteopathic approach to teaching. And I won't lie, location is a factor for me as well. My entire family is in north eastern ohio as well as my boyfriend who just bought us a house that is conveniently 20 mins from the cleveland campus. I have worked for the cleveland clinic for awhile now and I think going to a school linked to them can be wonderful for networking in my area as well!

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly, I interviewed here last year and was waitlisted. I have interviewed a few other places, and I was the more comfortable at OUHCOM. I was intimidated by OSU. OUHCOM interview didn't even make me nervous I felt like they really just wanted to have a convo. As well as I am very interested in primary care and I love the osteopathic approach to teaching. And I won't lie, location is a factor for me as well. My entire family is in north eastern ohio as well as my boyfriend who just bought us a house that is conveniently 20 mins from the cleveland campus. I have worked for the cleveland clinic for awhile now and I think going to a school linked to them can be wonderful for networking in my area as well!

Makes sense. Location is definitely something really important! Although I don't think you need to be intimidated by OSU or anything, they're not like super elitist or anything.

Also, I just withdrew from here as well, I had a few other acceptances I strongly preferred over OSU, good luck to you guys!

I was told during my interview day that the last date is March 29th. If they just recently began scheduling into March then I'd say there are a couple more weeks of IIs.

I received an II today for March 3rd!

Reactions: 5 users