2016-2017 Rutgers University - NJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I scheduled an interview and decide to withdraw how do I do so? Also will withdrawing from an interview look poorly on me for other school?

call them...itd be better to withdraw than waste their time i seriously doubt it would impact anything

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if calling the office or emailing Dean Heinrich about the status of our application is helpful? Waiting for almost 3 months doesn't exactly seem like a good sign..

Does anyone know if calling the office or emailing Dean Heinrich about the status of our application is helpful? Waiting for almost 3 months doesn't exactly seem like a good sign..

Let us know how it goes if you do it. I wanna know what they think about that also. Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
I called the office in my case, and the lady said "wow that's strange! They are still deliberating. You will know before Christmas." However, 3 weeks before that when I called, they said I would know in the next couple of weeks. So, I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Does Dean Heinrich only call on Sundays?

I called the office in my case, and the lady said "wow that's strange! They are still deliberating. You will know before Christmas." However, 3 weeks before that when I called, they said I would know in the next couple of weeks. So, I'm not sure how accurate it is.

How long have you been waiting?

I emailed Dr. Heinrich about my status directly and he was very nice about it. I don't think it hurts in any way, given that you write a well thought out email expressing your interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed Dr. Heinrich about my status directly and he was very nice about it. I don't think it hurts in any way, given that you write a well thought out email expressing your interest.
Does Dean Heinrich say anything besides that they're still deliberating though? I feel like that's their answer to everyone waiting.

Does Dean Heinrich say anything besides that they're still deliberating though? I feel like that's their answer to everyone waiting.

what else is he supposed to say? If you haven't heard back that's because they haven't made a decision. When you call and ask your status he's not gonna say "oh we accepted/rejected you and just haven't told you yet")

what else is he supposed to say? If you haven't heard back that's because they haven't made a decision. When you call and ask your status he's not gonna say "oh we accepted/rejected you and just haven't told you yet")
Well that's why I'm asking if calling/emailing them is actually helpful... I've been told Dean Heinrich is pretty honest about what he thinks of your application.

Reactions: 1 users
Well that's why I'm asking if calling/emailing them is actually helpful... I've been told Dean Heinrich is pretty honest about what he thinks of your application.

I emailed admissions last week asking about the status of my application (post interview). They basically just said that "sometimes it takes longer than the projected 6-8 weeks" and to send them any updates in the meantime.

He would def tell you the best of his ability where you stand. Though he may not exactly whether its an acceptance or not, you should be able to get a pretty good idea from his email. At least that was my experience.

Does anyone know if they take updates to your app and if so where do I send it to. I have an update on my transcript but not sure if I update it on AMCAS or email it to them.

They take updates. You can send it to [email protected].

Do you think I should update them about my Fall 2016 grades? I'm graduating early so this semester will determine my graduating cGPA and sGPA. The grades will most likely (if finals go well) boost my cGPA and sGPA as well.

Do you think I should update them about my Fall 2016 grades? I'm graduating early so this semester will determine my graduating cGPA and sGPA. The grades will most likely (if finals go well) boost my cGPA and sGPA as well.

I think its worth a shot. It can't hurt. You can update them on any new activities like volunteering or research if you have that as well.

Just curious, has anyone here received a II to NJMS and not RWJ (or vise versa). I'm assuming the schools have slightly different values they most hold in higher regard.

Thank you for your candid answer haha.... would you say you are more intrested (or your application reads anyway) in a more research oriented med school or clinical?

Have people been rejected post II? Seems like a lot of people are waiting 7+ weeks but I haven't seen anyone post they were rejected

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Have people been rejected post II? Seems like a lot of people are waiting 7+ weeks but I haven't seen anyone post they were rejected

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Earlier in the thread, someone posted that they'd been rejected and another said they'd been waitlisted so presumably decisions for each result are going out?

Thank you for your candid answer haha.... would you say you are more intrested (or your application reads anyway) in a more research oriented med school or clinical?

Sorry I was so abbreviated with my original post - no offense, just trying to be succinct!

I would definitely consider myself a clinically-oriented applicant. Also, my basis for application is tied to the northern NJ and the NYC metro area; I have no ties to New Brunswick or the greater state of NJ, and have no desire to move my family to New Brunswick. I feel like NJMS has a more diverse set of students in some ways, and offers different clinical training opportunities than RWJ (in my opinion anyway). Personally, I feel much more connected to NJMS's mission / philosophy than RWJ. That's a great school and nothing against RWJ at all, it's just not as a good of a fit for me. So, I could definitely see folks being more competitive and/or a better fit for one over the other.

Finally got a II here! It seems like it's just a one hour long interview followed up with an optional student interview, any other tips?

Interview invite!

O no worries! I just thought it was funny, thanks for the elaboration. I myself am definitely more transactional/research oriented, so probably why I stood out more to rwj

alternative list today :( not sure if someone answered this but is this the same thing as a wait list?

alternative list today :( not sure if someone answered this but is this the same thing as a wait list?

thats rough buddy :( but keep your head up! Hopefully all goes well. I'm also unsure of what the difference is between alternative and waitlist

Yep. Same here dude. :(

Interviewed early Nov. They do have a high priority WL, but I called ADMIS and they told me that no one was placed onto high priority WL.

i also interviewed early November! the thing that sucks about this process is that it's difficult to gauge what may have gone wrong.

Is my acceptance just contingent upon me graduating? Like if I get a C- in a class from now on I will still be an accepted student?

Finally got a II here! It seems like it's just a one hour long interview followed up with an optional student interview, any other tips?
Yep! Literally just a one hour interview with a faculty member and then you can do the optional student interview either before or after, depending on your scheduled time. I know some people on here said that their interview had science-based questions, but mine was really pleasant and my interviewer just went piece by piece through my application and asked me to expound upon my experiences. Overall really simple and relaxing! There will also be a student-led tour and then your student tour guide will take you to the cafeteria for lunch. It's a pretty short day overall, comparatively speaking. There are no financial aid talks/other presentations, either.

Yep! Literally just a one hour interview with a faculty member and then you can do the optional student interview either before or after, depending on your scheduled time. I know some people on here said that their interview had science-based questions, but mine was really pleasant and my interviewer just went piece by piece through my application and asked me to expound upon my experiences. Overall really simple and relaxing! There will also be a student-led tour and then your student tour guide will take you to the cafeteria for lunch. It's a pretty short day overall, comparatively speaking. There are no financial aid talks/other presentations, either.

Actually my day was quite different, except for the one-hour interview. The faculty member could be anyone, from my understanding, most often either a PhD that teaches courses or MD that works in the hospital. I came prepared with questions to ask them based on their profession. Also, the interviewer can pretty much ask you anything he/she wants, so you could get ethical, or science-based, or personal questions, or a combination of them. High yield questions are "Tell me about yourself" and "Why NJMS", so know how to sell yourself and know things about the school. The student-led tour could be before or after your faculty interview depending on if you are AM or PM. We ate lunch in a conference room within the admissions office (although I would have preferred cafeteria because there would have been more foodDuring lunch, Ms. Scott gave us a "virtual tour" presentation, talked about the curriculum, history of the school, housing, etc. A first-year student and another faculty member was brought in to talk to us as well, and Ms. Rivero came in and talked to us.

My biggest advice is to SMILE CONSTANTLY, seem interested and involved in every conversation, and prepare to answer questions on the spot, because Ms. Rivero walked in and asked us simple questions like, "Why NJMS" or "What do you look for in a medical school", and only a couple people spoke up. They say that you are not evaluated outside the faculty interview, but I promise they do remember you!! Also arrive early (which goes without saying, but still) because my interview started about 10-15 minutes earlier than scheduled.

Just got the call!!! :) So excited! Interviewed in September!

Reactions: 8 users
Actually my day was quite different, except for the one-hour interview. The faculty member could be anyone, from my understanding, most often either a PhD that teaches courses or MD that works in the hospital. I came prepared with questions to ask them based on their profession. Also, the interviewer can pretty much ask you anything he/she wants, so you could get ethical, or science-based, or personal questions, or a combination of them. High yield questions are "Tell me about yourself" and "Why NJMS", so know how to sell yourself and know things about the school. The student-led tour could be before or after your faculty interview depending on if you are AM or PM. We ate lunch in a conference room within the admissions office (although I would have preferred cafeteria because there would have been more foodDuring lunch, Ms. Scott gave us a "virtual tour" presentation, talked about the curriculum, history of the school, housing, etc. A first-year student and another faculty member was brought in to talk to us as well, and Ms. Rivero came in and talked to us.

My biggest advice is to SMILE CONSTANTLY, seem interested and involved in every conversation, and prepare to answer questions on the spot, because Ms. Rivero walked in and asked us simple questions like, "Why NJMS" or "What do you look for in a medical school", and only a couple people spoke up. They say that you are not evaluated outside the faculty interview, but I promise they do remember you!! Also arrive early (which goes without saying, but still) because my interview started about 10-15 minutes earlier than scheduled.
Uh wow your day was incredibly different! I literally spoke to nobody in admissions, just as far as "you'll hear from us in 6-8 weeks" kind of conversation. Apparently you can have two very very different experiences here, which is cool and not cool all at the same time because it is so unpredictable lol but all of this is sound advice though, and I did all of the above in terms of preparation for the interview. Anyone else who has an upcoming interview or is anticipating one should also do the same. Seriously, they love it when you talk about your passion for going to NJMS.

I think its worth a shot. It can't hurt. You can update them on any new activities like volunteering or research if you have that as well.

Hey I just sent them an update today about a few things. Do they email you back saying they received the update or nah?

Has anyone received a rejection email? any interviews lately?
I have heard NOTHING