2016-2017 Rutgers University - NJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Man I just expected that he wouldn't call until after the holidays and now I have my hopes up again... this wait is a killer!

Members don't see this ad.

Omg I just got the call!!!!! Ughhhhh so excited and happy. I had the worst day at my job ( retail job during the holidays = nightmare) and I'm sick too so this was a terrific way to save the day! I am beyond ecstatic.

Guys there is still hope for the weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This is so great. Merry Christmas!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! Is he gonna be calling tomorrow as well or is he done until after the holidays?

I've seen it posted earlier on this thread that he has been known to call on Christmas morning so it could still happen tomorrow. But after that I'm not so sure.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the call today!! Literally made my year!

Reactions: 4 users
Completed app on 8/29, still haven't heard anything as of yet :( I hope I still have a decent shot

Anyone from the GSBS program get an II yet?

I have and I know a few others who have gotten RD IIs. Plus a host of ppl who got in ED. At the last info session Heinrich said GSBS ppl can email requesting updates. My II came 6 days after asking for an update.

I have and I know a few others who have gotten RD IIs. Plus a host of ppl who got in ED. At the last info session Heinrich said GSBS ppl can email requesting updates. My II came 6 days after asking for an update.

Yah, I second this. Hadn't heard anything since July, emailed Dr. Heinrich directly in the beginning of December, and I got a II the day after he emailed me back.

Also, I heard for NJMS they changed the software system this year for reviewing apps which is why they're so far behind compared to other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)

Oh nice. Did you already complete the program when you applied? I just finished this past semester, so hoping for the best

Just got the alternate list email :/ does anyone know if that list moves a lot or nah? Also does sending letters of intent and updates help at this point? Thanks guys and good luck to everyone :)

Oh nice. Did you already complete the program when you applied? I just finished this past semester, so hoping for the best

Congrats your a master now! I had 13 credits finished when I submitted my AMCAS. I finished this past semester as well and included final transcripts in the update.

Has any one interviewed with Dr. Hill? I'm interviewing tomorrow and she just emailed me asking me to bring a copy of my resume and any other documents I'd like her to see. I thought the interviewer usually has my file given to them?

Has any one interviewed with Dr. Hill? I'm interviewing tomorrow and she just emailed me asking me to bring a copy of my resume and any other documents I'd like her to see. I thought the interviewer usually has my file given to them?
she should have it...idk thats odd maybe its a last minute switch or something

she should have it...idk thats odd maybe its a last minute switch or something

You should always take a copy of your CV/Resume with you to any and every interview to show that you are prepared. Though they have your file, you don't necessarily submit a formal resume to AMCAS. It just shows maturity and readiness on the candidates part. In the consulting world, if an interviewer asked for a resume and you didn't happen to have an extra copy, you could pretty much kiss that job goodbye.

You should always take a copy of your CV/Resume with you to any and every interview to show that you are prepared. Though they have your file, you don't necessarily submit a formal resume to AMCAS. It just shows maturity and readiness on the candidates part. In the consulting world, if an interviewer asked for a resume and you didn't happen to have an extra copy, you could pretty much kiss that job goodbye.

Idk man, this isn't really necessary. Consulting is much different than medical school, and even then, if you electronically submit your CV it's really on them to have it during the interview. Sure, they can be difficult about it and say you should have brought one, but at that point they're just being unnecessarily difficult. I've spoken to ADCOMS at NJMS and none of them have advised me to bring a resume or CV unless it's specifically stated in the interview invite. Just seems like another thing to stress about, and the interviewer isn't going to be able to thoroughly look through your resume during your interview, all the while holding a solid conversation with you.

Reactions: 1 users
Idk man, this isn't really necessary. Consulting is much different than medical school, and even then, if you electronically submit your CV it's really on them to have it during the interview. Sure, they can be difficult about it and say you should have brought one, but at that point they're just being unnecessarily difficult. I've spoken to ADCOMS at NJMS and none of them have advised me to bring a resume or CV unless it's specifically stated in the interview invite. Just seems like another thing to stress about, and the interviewer isn't going to be able to thoroughly look through your resume during your interview, all the while holding a solid conversation with you.

I agree they are different fields, but why not always put your best foot forward? Most people carry a folder with them with a pen and paper to take notes during an interview, so why not store a couple of copies of your resume in there for the rare occasion that someone may ask for a copy ? I don't think this being a medical interview disqualifies the candidate from being ready for anything. Especially since medicine is a field where the unexpected can happen more often than not :) just my $0.02

I was more concerned that when I handed her my resume that would be the first time she had seen any of my activities or information because it seemed unusual to email beforehand and ask. The advice is appreciated either way! :)

Does anyone know if the alternate list moves ? I know from previous threads in 2014 or so there was a priority alternate list as well but I havent seen this on any of the recent threads.

I agree they are different fields, but why not always put your best foot forward? Most people carry a folder with them with a pen and paper to take notes during an interview, so why not store a couple of copies of your resume in there for the rare occasion that someone may ask for a copy ? I don't think this being a medical interview disqualifies the candidate from being ready for anything. Especially since medicine is a field where the unexpected can happen more often than not :) just my $0.02
This is definitely not necessary nor warranted lol. If anything, you should bring an extra copy of your amcas application since that's the only thing that matters. Even then, if the interviewer required it, it would reflect poorly on the school.

Been lurking for a while, but coming from a business background, I can tell you 100% that it's always smart to have a copy of your resume on you for any kind of interview. For medical school, it won't kill you no to bring one, but having it will reflect well on your professionalism.

Reactions: 1 users
Have people been sending updates to Dr. Heinrich or to the njmsapplicant email address?

Have people been sending updates to Dr. Heinrich or to the njmsapplicant email address?

I've been sending them to the NJMS admissions one and I get confirmations that they received it and it's been added to my file.

Anyone know if we can send unofficial transcripts as updates? I'd send an official one but it would take so much longer.

does anyone kno what email they are sending rejections/waitlists from? i interviewed in sept and have not heard back just wanted 2 make sure i didnt miss anything

does anyone kno what email they are sending rejections/waitlists from? i interviewed in sept and have not heard back just wanted 2 make sure i didnt miss anything
I'm not sure what email but I also interviewed in September so you're not alone!

This is definitely not necessary nor warranted lol. If anything, you should bring an extra copy of your amcas application since that's the only thing that matters. Even then, if the interviewer required it, it would reflect poorly on the school.

Poor reflectively on the school? Really?

I went in with a copy of my app and resumes. Guess what.. they had my app, but asked for resume just incase. I don't think applicants are in a position of judging what reflects badly on the school. But hey, if you have an ego that says they should make preparations for you as if you're some VIP candidate, thats on you.

Poor reflectively on the school? Really?

I went in with a copy of my app and resumes. Guess what.. they had my app, but asked for resume just incase. I don't think applicants are in a position of judging what reflects badly on the school. But hey, if you have an ego that says they should make preparations for you as if you're some VIP candidate, thats on you.
Lol yeah no ego here. It does reflect poorly because students aren't expected to bring anything to an interview except themselves. If they wanted it, they should've asked for it ahead of time or had spot for it in their secondary portal (Columbia does this).

On top of that, if there's anything on ur resume that's so important, it should've been on your Amcas in the first place.

How would you feel if the interview was open file and they hadn't reviewed it prior to the interview?

How would you feel during your interview if you were asked for it and didn't have it? (because maybe you and your friends have been on dozens of interviews and never even heard of it being asked for versus just a copy of your amcas)

Medical school interviews are different enough from traditional interviews, that yeah, I have the freedom to judge an interviewer/interview experience on something as small as this.

I don't know why you got so offensive over this lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm confused.

What's on your resume that's not on your app?

AMCAS literally has options for paid employment, volunteer, research, publications, etc.

Lol yeah no ego here. It does reflect poorly because students aren't expected to bring anything to an interview except themselves. If they wanted it, they should've asked for it ahead of time or had spot for it in their secondary portal (Columbia does this).

On top of that, if there's anything on ur resume that's so important, it should've been on your Amcas in the first place.

How would you feel if the interview was open file and they hadn't reviewed it prior to the interview?

How would you feel during your interview if you were asked for it and didn't have it? (because maybe you and your friends have been on dozens of interviews and never even heard of it being asked for versus just a copy of your amcas)

Medical school interviews are different enough from traditional interviews, that yeah, I have the freedom to judge an interviewer/interview experience on something as small as this.

I don't know why you got so offensive over this lol.
I'm confused.

What's on your resume that's not on your app?

AMCAS literally has options for paid employment, volunteer, research, publications, etc.

A resume is a way of consolidating all that info in a more concise manner. Yes, ideally a school would have looked at your application in advance for an open file interview, however, when you apply for jobs you send the company a resume and yet people take more copies to a job interview. Does this mean that the company is not well prepared? I don't see the big deal about carrying a resume and coming off as more prepared and professional. But people clearly have preferences so by all means do what floats your boat. Being a non-traditional student and having some real word experience, you tend to learn things from experience that may seem far fetched to someone coming straight out of undergrad.

A resume is a way of consolidating all that info in a more concise manner. Yes, ideally a school would have looked at your application in advance for an open file interview, however, when you apply for jobs you send the company a resume and yet people take more copies to a job interview. Does this mean that the company is not well prepared? I don't see the big deal about carrying a resume and coming off as more prepared and professional. But people clearly have preferences so by all means do what floats your boat. Being a non-traditional student and having some real word experience, you tend to learn things from experience that may seem far fetched to someone coming straight out of undergrad.
ive been on plenty of job interviews lol. you don't need to be a nontrad to hold a job, so you can climb down from that pedestal.

the point you seem to be missing is that these aren't job interviews, they're medical school interviews. im not saying it hurts to bring an extra piece of paper. im saying its unnecessary- you should know that and so should the interviewer/medical school. So yes, if they held it against me to not bring my resume, id be upset.

god forbid you have an mmi and respond to a question with "X must have a big ego" because they disagree with you.

ive been on plenty of job interviews lol. you don't need to be a nontrad to hold a job, so you can climb down from that pedestal.

the point you seem to be missing is that these aren't job interviews, they're medical school interviews. im not saying it hurts to bring an extra piece of paper. im saying its unnecessary- you should know that and so should the interviewer/medical school. So yes, if they held it against me to not bring my resume, id be upset.

god forbid you have an mmi and respond to a question with "X must have a big ego" because they disagree with you.

Def not on any kind of pedestal. To me an interview is just that.. IDC if it is for a job or medical school. Both have their own application process. I am just saying it is always smart to go in well prepared rather than coming out with a doubt whether not having a copy of your resume hurt you in any way, shape, or form. And not to sound condescending, but there is a diff between holding a job and having a career, buddy.

And let's not judge my MMI skills here. God forbid someone didn't meet your personal expectations, they must deserve a poor reflection.

Def not on any kind of pedestal. To me an interview is just that.. IDC if it is for a job or medical school. Both have their own application process. I am just saying it is always smart to go in well prepared rather than coming out with a doubt whether not having a copy of your resume hurt you in any way, shape, or form. And not to sound condescending, but there is a diff between holding a job and having a career, buddy.
lol you were condescending far prior to this sentence.

And let's not judge my MMI skills here. God forbid someone didn't meet your personal expectations, they must deserve a poor reflection.
seems like theres no real discussion left to be had here lol

good luck with your cycle :thumbup:

Priority alternate list :/....anyone know what the typical movement is on it? Seems like people have been placed on it in years past but no one this year has posted yet.

Priority alternate list :/....anyone know what the typical movement is on it? Seems like people have been placed on it in years past but no one this year has posted yet.

I'm sorry :(. I know obviously it's not what you were hoping for, but continue to update them on your ECs/grades, and if there is anything you can do that you feel would improve your app, go for it!! NJMS is unique in that they remember who you are and what you're doing with your time, so if you stay in contact with admissions and make smart moves, you'll prove to them that you're not giving up and you're serious about going there. I'm not too familiar with exactly how priority waitlist works, but I've heard that with NJMS, it's better to move yourself up the list than wait to be moved. Best of luck!!

I'm sorry :(. I know obviously it's not what you were hoping for, but continue to update them on your ECs/grades, and if there is anything you can do that you feel would improve your app, go for it!! NJMS is unique in that they remember who you are and what you're doing with your time, so if you stay in contact with admissions and make smart moves, you'll prove to them that you're not giving up and you're serious about going there. I'm not too familiar with exactly how priority waitlist works, but I've heard that with NJMS, it's better to move yourself up the list than wait to be moved. Best of luck!!

Thanks! Seems like a good idea, guess I'll keep updating them over time with various things.

I'm a little confused about the concept of an update. I see that a few of you guys requested an update on your application and others updated the school on grades, ECs, etc. I'm really interested in reaching out to admissions to update them that I did well on my first semester of the gsbs program and that I really want to go to this school, but I'm not sure who to contact or what to say really.

I also saw a few of you guys got emails about what "list" you're on. Was that after emailing admissions or they just emailed that to you?

I'm a little confused about the concept of an update. I see that a few of you guys requested an update on your application and others updated the school on grades, ECs, etc. I'm really interested in reaching out to admissions to update them that I did well on my first semester of the gsbs program and that I really want to go to this school, but I'm not sure who to contact or what to say really.

I also saw a few of you guys got emails about what "list" you're on. Was that after emailing admissions or they just emailed that to you?

If you're in gsbs you should call the admissions office and make an appointment to speak with Dr. Heinrich or Dr. Rivero (dean and assistant dean) asap. It could take a month to meet with them.

If you're in gsbs you should call the admissions office and make an appointment to speak with Dr. Heinrich or Dr. Rivero (dean and assistant dean) asap. It could take a month to meet with them.

Yeah I second this. I'm in the GSBS program and it had been silent for months. I emailed Dr. Heinrich, and I got a II within a day of his response to me. He's super helpful and he really looks into your app and if you make your case to him there's a really good chance of getting a II. He didn't take about a week to reply to my e-mail though, but after that everything happened quickly, and I had a II within 10 days of my initial e-mail.

Yeah I second this. I'm in the GSBS program and it had been silent for months. I emailed Dr. Heinrich, and I got a II within a day of his response to me. He's super helpful and he really looks into your app and if you make your case to him there's a really good chance of getting a II. He didn't take about a week to reply to my e-mail though, but after that everything happened quickly, and I had a II within 10 days of my initial e-mail.

Did you email him personally or through njms admissions email?

Any pre II rejections or do they send those out after the cycle ends in March.