2016-2017 Rutgers University - NJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what are the guaranteed interview requirements?

It's a "soft" guarantee and I believe they raised the GPA to 3.6 according to the website. They put heavy emphasis on MCAT subsection sores though and my friend in the program has a 4.0 and 510 but bombed CARS and is thus still waiting on an invite. Other than that though I know a ton of people who have gotten the interview based on those stats.

Members don't see this ad.

it used to be a 3.5/30, but then they adjusted it to the new MCAT and the competition standards
It's at a 3.6 after at least 20 credits and a minimum of 127 in each section (~508+)

Hey I just sent them an update today about a few things. Do they email you back saying they received the update or nah?

They told me they received it a week later

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone sent in additional letters of recommendations to Rutgers or know if they accept them? if you have, did you just send it to the admissions email?

I got accepted with a low subsection score in CARS. Overall score is good though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone gotten an interview with one low MCAT subscore?
My physical sciences section was on the lower side. When I got the call from Dean Heinrich he said that they really weigh the Biological and Biochemical section the most heavily.

My physical sciences section was on the lower side. When I got the call from Dean Heinrich he said that they really weigh the Biological and Biochemical section the most heavily.

oh wow, I did not know that! thats pretty interesting. Do you know what they look at next in terms of subscores?

when did you interview and when did you receive the acceptance call?

Yeah, I've spoken to Dean Heinrich and they weight the Bio and CARS section heavily compared to physician science, and pretty much disregard the psych/soc one.

[Deleted]

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed here this week after being invited earlier in the month. Great place with great people. I was impressed with the depth and breadth of opportunities, and their overall commitment to treating patients not diseases. I had a wonderfully conversational interview with a faculty member who had definitely read my entire application in detail, which I appreciated. No science questions at all.

Seems like a place that offers a top-notch medical education.

Any calls recently?

Anyone know the meaning behind a second interview like if it's a positive thing? Also would anyone that's had a second interview be able to share how it differed from the first interview? What were they looking for additionally that wasn't covered in the first interview?

Anyone know the meaning behind a second interview like if it's a positive thing? Also would anyone that's had a second interview be able to share how it differed from the first interview? What were they looking for additionally that wasn't covered in the first interview?

Do you mean student interview?

Do you mean student interview?
Sorry I should have clarified. I was invited back to have another faculty interview after having my first interview a couple months ago.

They're calling in people for second interviews? Does this mean the primary IIs are done?

Sorry I should have clarified. I was invited back to have another faculty interview after having my first interview a couple months ago.

Ohh got it. Didn't know that was a thing. Maybe your interviewer quit lol

They're calling in people for second interviews? Does this mean the primary IIs are done?

No I'm pretty sure they interview up until March or so, so they probably do still have IIs coming

Nope the email just said that sometimes "additional information is needed prior to rendering a decision"

They asked also me for additional information, but I didn't need another interview. I think it means they are interested in you and so I hope it goes well. All the best!

Last edited:
Just accepted! I can't believe it! Interviewed 11/7! Congrats to all those accepted, and good luck to all those waiting to hear back!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else interview in September and not here back yet? Seems like a bunch of people have been either rejected, waitlisted or accepted who interviewed way after. Don't really understand how hearing back could be so out of order haha. Congrats on those accepted! Still hoping for the best though!

ACCEPTED. Interviewed 11/7, Received the call today! So excited!!

Anyone else interview in September and not here back yet? Seems like a bunch of people have been either rejected, waitlisted or accepted who interviewed way after. Don't really understand how hearing back could be so out of order haha. Congrats on those accepted! Still hoping for the best though!

What do you think about sending an e-mail or calling to let them know you are still interested? I don't think something like that can hurt, but feel free to let me know what you think. I sent an e-mail to one of the schools that I applied to, but still haven't heard back yet.

Accepted!! Received call Sunday night, interviewed mid-September. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Reactions: 3 users
[Deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:
interviewed mid october and called twice to check my status. they said in the last call they would get back to me soon :-/

I also interviewed mid october and am still waiting. don't worry they'll get back to us soon. i sent an update letter in so hopefully that helped a bit. The committee meets on Thursday so lets hope for the best this weekend :)

I also interviewed mid october and am still waiting. don't worry they'll get back to us soon. i sent an update letter in so hopefully that helped a bit. The committee meets on Thursday so lets hope for the best this weekend :)

Agree with the sentiment, but i doubt Dr. Heinrich is sending out calls on Christmas weekend? But hey, let's keep the faith

Agree with the sentiment, but i doubt Dr. Heinrich is sending out calls on Christmas weekend? But hey, let's keep the faith

Dr. Heinrich calls at the most random times. My friend last year got accepted on Christmas morning. He's been known to call on Christmas Eve and Day, so I would expect some calls to go out this year as well during the weekend.

At my interview, my tour guide told me that NJMS likes to deliver good news near the holidays, so maybe some of us will get The Call™ in the next couple days! :)

Omg I just got the call!!!!! Ughhhhh so excited and happy. I had the worst day at my job ( retail job during the holidays = nightmare) and I'm sick too so this was a terrific way to save the day! I am beyond ecstatic.

Guys there is still hope for the weekend!

Reactions: 4 users
Omg I just got the call!!!!! Ughhhhh so excited and happy. I had the worst day at my job ( retail job during the holidays = nightmare) and I'm sick too so this was a terrific way to save the day! I am beyond ecstatic.

I'm going to have to be "that guy" and ask you when did you interview?

I'm going to have to be "that guy" and ask you when did you interview?

Oh I should have mentioned it actually. I interviewed on 11/21. Dean Heinrich actually said the office would be closed next week so he just wanted to call before the holidays.

Oh I should have mentioned it actually. I interviewed on 11/21. Dean Heinrich actually said the office would be closed next week so he just wanted to call before the holidays.

Congrats! Is he gonna be calling tomorrow as well or is he done until after the holidays?