2016-2017 University of Miami (Miller) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I still haven't gotten scored

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted my secondary a few days ago. Would really love to go here but didn't received the secondary until a couple of weeks ago. Hoping I still have a shot at an interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted my secondary a few days ago. Would really love to go here but didn't received the secondary until a couple of weeks ago. Hoping I still have a shot at an interview.
Same! Best of luck to the both of us

Did you submit your AMCAS late? Or for some reason they didnt send you the secondary fast? Cause normally they send it 3 days after AMCAS submission about

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site, I applied back in august and submitted my secondary beginning of September, haven't heard anything since. Just to make sure I'm understanding the thread, when you guys say "II" you mean secondary application?

Has anyone checked canelink? I checked yesterday and it has my app to UM undergrad and the med shcool app, they both say incomplete which is weird.

On the portal mine says:
"your application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants will be invited to interview based upon their evaluation score from the Admissions Committee review. You will be contacted by email if you are selected for an interview. Interview invitations are extended between August and March. "

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site, I applied back in august and submitted my secondary beginning of September, haven't heard anything since. Just to make sure I'm understanding the thread, when you guys say "II" you mean secondary application?

Has anyone checked canelink? I checked yesterday and it has my app to UM undergrad and the med shcool app, they both say incomplete which is weird.

On the portal mine says:
"your application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants will be invited to interview based upon their evaluation score from the Admissions Committee review. You will be contacted by email if you are selected for an interview. Interview invitations are extended between August and March. "

II = interview invite

I have had the same message on my application portal to their med school. I have not checked canelink so I'm not sure about that. If your application has been reviewed and scored though, I think its safe to say that it was complete.

On the portal mine says:

II means interview invite. And ya, it is normal for canelink to say incomplete. It does not change to complete until the day you matriculate. And for now, its just a waiting game until you get an interview.

thank you guys! this waiting game is nuts, hopefully we'll hear soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
what is the status once you have been scored
I got this message in the portal

Did you submit your AMCAS late? Or for some reason they didnt send you the secondary fast? Cause normally they send it 3 days after AMCAS submission about

I submitted in late June and was verified in July. I really think there was an error because everyone else who was verified at the same time was getting their secondaries in July. Praying the admissions committee notices the date I received the secondary and doesn't hold it against me, but I feel like it's just too late for me

I got this message in the portal

I am not sure that means you have been scored. I had that status for months and it recently changed to your application is currently being reviewed by the admissions committee

It means you were scored. If you are under review, that status is coming soon

So then is there any explanation for why people with stats above the average matriculant and complete date of over 4-5 months ago still say "under review" and haven't been scored? Admittedly, it's somewhat frustrating that it just seems like my app is just sitting there.

Do they like letters of interests pre-II?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Honestly, unless it says somewhere explicitly on their website that they don't, I'd go ahead and send one. It's getting late in the game and you have to do whatever you can to get that interview/acceptance at this point.

Just keep it short and to the point. Also, include any updates you might have as well.

Letter of interest, no. They know you're interested, otherwise you wouldn't have written their 10 million page secondary. Send an update, even if what you're updating them on isn't that important. I known many people who have sent pre-II update letters, and it worked well. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
got the final decision status. Interviewed 12/02. They said wouldnt hear until 01/25.

got the final decision status. Interviewed 12/02. They said wouldnt hear until 01/25.
that probably means they will call you this week or in two weeks. Most likely in two weeks

I heard back way before they said we would at my interview. My portal status changed on a Monday, and I got notified of being waitlisted via email that Thursday (the day after one of the Wednesday acceptance dates listed in the Hub app). This coming Wednesday is another acceptance date so I'd imagine you'll hear something then.

How have you guys been preparing/practicing for interviews? Any good resources?

How have you guys been preparing/practicing for interviews? Any good resources?

Aside from the usual stuff, may I recommend this thread:

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/worst-interview-answers.359690/page-69

When I was prepping Id sit alone and read aloud the questions that seemed to stump people. Then Id try to verbally answer them or write out an answer. Its actually great because you realize things you say in your head sound bad when spoken or written down.

For Miami specifically, heres a few topics to google about:

DOCS

COATS

Jackson Memorial Hospital

The UM Medical Campus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Miami#Medical_campus)

The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis

Miami Transplant Institute

The Debbie School (http://pediatrics.med.miami.edu/debbie-school/) - a ton of students volunteer there

Ryder Trauma Center & the Army training programs there

If you're not Floridian, anything about the history of South Florida and how it ended up with such large Cuban, Haitian, and other Latin American populations.

Reactions: 4 users
Aside from the usual stuff, may I recommend this thread:

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/worst-interview-answers.359690/page-69

When I was prepping Id sit alone and read aloud the questions that seemed to stump people. Then Id try to verbally answer them or write out an answer. Its actually great because you realize things you say in your head sound bad when spoken or written down.

For Miami specifically, heres a few topics to google about:

DOCS

COATS

Jackson Memorial Hospital

The UM Medical Campus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Miami#Medical_campus)

The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis

Miami Transplant Institute

The Debbie School (http://pediatrics.med.miami.edu/debbie-school/) - a ton of students volunteer there

Ryder Trauma Center & the Army training programs there

If you're not Floridian, anything about the history of South Florida and how it ended up with such large Cuban, Haitian, and other Latin American populations.
this is a good list

I had a friend, both of us OOS, who just got accepted, so I think my chances of an II just massacred

If you're saying your chances of getting an interview went down because your OOS friend got accepted thats wrong lol. Half our class comes from OOS, there are many many interview slots still available.

I just checked our internal server and theres 15 more interview days (The last day is March 17th) between the MD and MD/MPH programs. At ~15-20 people per interview day thats 225-300 II slots left. :)

If you're saying your chances of getting an interview went down because your OOS friend got accepted thats wrong lol. Half our class comes from OOS, there are many many interview slots still available.

I just checked our internal server and theres 15 more interview days (The last day is March 17th) between the MD and MD/MPH programs. At ~15-20 people per interview day thats 225-300 II slots left. :)

I just like playing Devil's advocate. :)

Thanks for the info. My school doesn't have a very great track record of sending kids to UM per cycle, so my concerns weren't completely without base.

Just received an II for MD and MD/MPH! Complete late July, IS, Lizzy M~70

Reactions: 2 users
Went to do my daily neurotic portal login to check on the status of my application and could not access my app status :eek:! Can anyone else access their status portal?! Or are they just going through server updates and it is currently down?!

Went to do my daily neurotic portal login to check on the status of my application and could not access my app status :eek:! Can anyone else access their status portal?! Or are they just going through server updates and it is currently down?!
I just went to access it and had no issue.

Got accepted to both MD and MD/MPH yesterday!

OS 3.9/515

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted today! IS, 34 mcat, 3.82 gpa. This is my second time applying so this one is really sweet. Good luck to everyone applying!

EDIT: I was waitlisted on October 16th, so there's movement on the waitlist if anyone is wondering

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted today! IS, 34 mcat, 3.82 gpa. This is my second time applying so this one is really sweet. Good luck to everyone applying!

EDIT: I was waitlisted on October 16th, so there's movement on the waitlist if anyone is wondering
Congrats! Was it for MD or MD-MPH?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

That's awesome, congrats! Was rooting for you. Did they call or email?

Yes, but how many of those IIs were already handed out? Maybe all those dates are booked....still waiting for an invite. Are they still sending out IIs?

Accepted! Was waitlisted a while back and sent multiple letters of interest since

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone! Was just placed on alternate list yesterday. It is my #1 choice. They asked for confirmation in writing that we still want to stay on the alternate list for consideration. Should I just reply that I would like to be on the alternate list now and send a more detailed letter of intent later?

Hey- for those of us who need to travel a long way for the interview:

1- Are there any on-campus options/ ways to connect with students willing to host?
2- Is there an easy way to get from the main downtown campus to coral gables?
3- Does UMiami offer shuttle pickups from the airport?

Looking for any suggestions on how to save money while in town for my interview (mid/late february)