2016-2017 University of Miami (Miller) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As someone who wants to write a letter of intent here, should I hand write it or type it out?

Members don't see this ad.

did any one of you attend an information session/open house at UM prior to applying? do you know if UM does that?
UM has premed events every once in a while, although I'm not sure when the next one will be. You get to learn about the school (and med school in general) and talk with current students. If you live in the area I would highly recommend attending one. We get great feedback from those.
As someone who wants to write a letter of intent here, should I hand write it or type it out?
Calligraphy or bust.

Seriously though, it doesn't matter. Just write it well.

Unfortunately, the general wisdom with letters of intent are that they usually aren't very helpful - unless you're already accepted at another institution, especially one "ranked higher" than the school you're writing to. If you have no acceptances, of COURSE you'll go to the school that accepts you.

Members don't see this ad :)

In the same vein of @Flintwire , I wrote a letter of intent BUT I held acceptances elsewhere. I didn't mention them by name though. If you have no leverage, it's harder to justify. It wouldn't hurt you though.

Reactions: 1 user
II two days ago! dates all the way through feb and march

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how many people were on their alternate list last year and how many got accepted from it?

Does anyone know how many people were on their alternate list last year and how many got accepted from it?
Tons of people are waitlisted before they get in. But the number varies a fair amount every year is what I have heard.

Do you know how many? I've been on alt list since October and dying to get in this school..def number 1...already sent an update and LOI though..feels like I shouldnt keep pestering them

Do you know how many? I've been on alt list since October and dying to get in this school..def number 1...already sent an update and LOI though..feels like I shouldnt keep pestering them
Most schools don't really have any waitlist movement until much much later in the season. Nothing you can do right now.

When I got in, I interviewed in late Feb, got waitlisted, and sent 3-4 letters of intent. I finally got a response and now attend UM. I would say pestering to an extent isn't a bad thing. Just make sure to say new things in each letter or make it a letter of intent/update.

Members don't see this ad :)
amazing! just curious, how was each letter of intent different? Or was it just the quantity to catch their attention?
I don't remember the exact content, but I would speak to different reasons I wanted to attend UM.

I was alt-listed in October as well and got in the following February. And yea, now you have to let the process play itself out; you've done all you can.

Anyone else scored recently? Finally got 3rd message. How long after they score do they send out IIs?

Anyone else scored recently? Finally got 3rd message. How long after they score do they send out IIs?

It depends on where you score fell. At this point, they probably won't be sending any II's until the new year though.

still not scored.
would that just be on my main status page?

still not scored.
would that just be on my main status page?
Yes. This is my new status this week:

Your Application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants will be invited to interview based upon their point total from the Committee review. Applications that have been reviewed and scored by the Committee will be considered for interviews during the entire interview cycle (September - April).

Before that, for many months it said it was under review. Not sure what this all means, but will keep you posted.
OOS, with strong ties to Florida.

Submitted my primary to this school/was verified in July and received secondaries from like 30 other schools in July. Emailed Miami asking what was up and they said a decision hadn't been made on my app. I waited a few more weeks and figured they had misread the email and thought I was asking about when I would get an interview instead of when I would get my secondary. Most people had received their secondary quickly from the school so I figured there was just an error but didn't pursue it because I had already received interviews. However I just received the secondary now. What should I do? Isn't it extremely late to complete it?

In interview day they say they get 8500ish primaries but only send 5500ish secondaries

Submitted my primary to this school/was verified in July and received secondaries from like 30 other schools in July. Emailed Miami asking what was up and they said a decision hadn't been made on my app. I waited a few more weeks and figured they had misread the email and thought I was asking about when I would get an interview instead of when I would get my secondary. Most people had received their secondary quickly from the school so I figured there was just an error but didn't pursue it because I had already received interviews. However I just received the secondary now. What should I do? Isn't it extremely late to complete it?
The secondary is a bear, but it can't hurt at this point. If you have time, do it.

Yes. This is my new status this week:

Your Application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants will be invited to interview based upon their point total from the Committee review. Applications that have been reviewed and scored by the Committee will be considered for interviews during the entire interview cycle (September - April).

Before that, for many months it said it was under review. Not sure what this all means, but will keep you posted.
OOS, with strong ties to Florida.

When were you complete

Until you have an acceptance in hand, I think an applicant should attend all interviews or fill out all secondaries offered.

I was complete on 7/21, just got my secondary TODAY. Is that normal???? The website says nearly all applicants get a secondary.... why did it take me 5 months? Did this happen to anyone else?? 3.62 sGPA 515 MCAT

Until you have an acceptance in hand, I think an applicant should attend all interviews or fill out all secondaries offered.
I agree with this. Plus, if Miami is sending a secondary now, they must be considering more applicants. Go for it.

I agree with this. Plus, if Miami is sending a secondary now, they must be considering more applicants. Go for it.

Well hopefully they're still considering those who have yet to be scored. Haven't heard a peep since being complete first week of Aug. :thinking:

Reactions: 4 users
I just got a secondary too, almost 4 months after I was verified. I haven't written a secondary in almost 2 months, we'll see how this goes lol

Well hopefully they're still considering those who have yet to be scored. Haven't heard a peep since being complete first week of Aug. :thinking:
same
I like to think that my app was just so incredible that they are passing it around to each member of the adcom and saying "now this, THIS is an application"

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone submitted a pre-II update? Are there any guidelines for how to do this?

Has anyone submitted a pre-II update? Are there any guidelines for how to do this?
I sent them an email of a somewhat LOI/Update letter and did not receive any reply confirming it's receipt. I got multiple other schools to acknowledge the email so I'm not sure how to go about it here at UM.

I sent them an email of a somewhat LOI/Update letter and did not receive any reply confirming it's receipt. I got multiple other schools to acknowledge the email so I'm not sure how to go about it here at UM.

Thank you both, I think I will do the same and just mine as a PDF attachment. I'm not sure how much good it will do but worth a shot! My secondary app verification was delayed because I forgot the photo ha! :)

Last edited:
Are there any student employment opportunities here for M1s where you can make about $200-300 a week? Like TAing, working for admissions, etc. Please let me know if there are opportunities like this that exist here. Thanks guys.

Are there any student employment opportunities here for M1s where you can make about $200-300 a week? Like TAing, working for admissions, etc. Please let me know if there are opportunities like this that exist here. Thanks guys.

You can privately tutor anywhere you are. Pay is great and so is flexibility. You'll be in high demand if you advertise that you're a md student

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I had a friend, both of us OOS, who just got accepted, so I think my chances of an II just massacred

To anyone that has sent an update: did you send this update via email? If so, could you please share the email address?

Did anyone else get an email about making sure your secondary was sent in ? My portal says I'm complete so I'm confused...

Has anyone had any success sending an ITA email? I will be coming from Indiana to interview at FIU next Friday so being able to tie that in with an interview at Miami would be the only chance I would really have at being able to afford the travel costs. Obviously I understand that doesn't mean I'm getting an interview or anything, just trying to think ahead is all. Thanks!

Did anyone else get an email about making sure your secondary was sent in ? My portal says I'm complete so I'm confused...

I got it too! I think that's a general mass email to anyone who put U Miami on AMCAS...as long as your portal says complete you're good!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile