2016-2017 University of Miami (Miller) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No but I interviewed friday and they said january as well. I think they just try to temper your expectations/make you feel better if you don't hear on the first day. By saying I'll hear in January I won't be dissapointed when I don't hear in mid december

I think that January is the most recent that you can hear from them because after you interview, it takes them about 3 weeks for the interviewer to submit their review of you, and then wait for the committee to meet and discuss your file, etc. And on top of that, there is the break. So the people that they are calling in December is the people that interviewed way before and have already been discussed in the committee meetings. So ya, they probably meant that January is the earliest you can hear, but it definitely can be anytime from January on

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone use the Student Host Program? I emailed Faheem Farooq a few weeks ago and then yesterday again but haven't heard back.

Sent from my LGMS631 using SDN mobile

I just interviewed a couple weeks ago and noticed today that I have the "final decision" status, but we were told that we wouldn't hear back until January. Anyone else have this happen?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
+1 I interviewed Nov 18th, was that your date too?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I just interviewed a couple weeks ago and noticed today that I have the "final decision" status, but we were told that we wouldn't hear back until January. Anyone else have this happen?

yep i was supposed to find out tomorrow, but i received a decision in mid-november. surprised at their turnaround time

Would you say a quick turnaround time is indicative of good news? Or does it not make a difference?

not really sure.. it was good news for me, and hopefully for you too!

Reactions: 1 user
Silence since August. Thinking of sending an email/update - you guys think that would help them take another look at my application?

Reactions: 1 users
Silence since August. Thinking of sending an email/update - you guys think that would help them take another look at my application?

I've also had silence since August. I sent in an update about a month ago and received a note saying it had been added to my file, but still nothing. I guess it can't hurt though, right?

i doubt youd have a final decision at this point unless its an acceptance. Otherwise you just stay on the list

i doubt youd have a final decision at this point unless its an acceptance. Otherwise you just stay on the list

I wish that were the case, but my friend received the final decision status and was waitlisted, though for UM that means you're still in the running to be accepted on future acceptance dates.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've also had silence since August. I sent in an update about a month ago and received a note saying it had been added to my file, but still nothing. I guess it can't hurt though, right?

Did you send in your update via the online portal or through the mail?

That status is the equivalent of the "scored status." So you've been scored for over a month. I was referring to the "Your application is currently under review" status. That is the default when you complete your app and some people never have any change in their portal even in March, which ultimately turns to a rejection.

But most importantly, congrats on your interview! I was completed late August as well and still have not been scored :rage:

I see. Sorry, I misinterpreted that. Good luck- I hope it works out for you!

So today is the only "acceptance announcement day" in Dec and I have the "final decision" status. Does that mean I will definitely hear something today if I am accepted? Would I also hear waitlist/rejection news today?

Yes, if you received the final decision status this past Monday then you'll either get a call for acceptance or waitlist e-mail. Good luck!!!

So today is the only "acceptance announcement day" in Dec and I have the "final decision" status. Does that mean I will definitely hear something today if I am accepted? Would I also hear waitlist/rejection news today?

So from what I've seen in this thread people with the final decision status that were accepted find out first, on the acceptance day, then if you were waitlisted you may find out tomorrow. That being said in the final decision status it says if you don't here within 7 days contact them so either way you (we) are going to find out well before Jan 11th.

So from what I've seen in this thread people with the final decision status that were accepted find out first, on the acceptance day, then if you were waitlisted you may find out tomorrow. That being said in the final decision status it says if you don't here within 7 days contact them so either way you (we) are going to find out well before Jan 11th.

Very true. This is going to be a longgg day though

How do you guys know the acceptance dates? Are they posted somewhere?

Has anyone been accepted off the alternate list yet?

Accepted off the Alternate List today! I was placed on the alternate list 2 weeks ago (aka the last time they told ppl their acceptance status). So stay hopeful!!

I sent an update of my activities, but I'm not sure how much that actually helped me because I sent it at 4 PM today; I don't think they saw it before their committee meeting.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted off the Alternate List today! I was placed on the alternate list 2 weeks ago (aka the last time they told ppl their acceptance status). So stay hopeful!!

I sent an update of my activities, but I'm not sure how much that actually helped me because I sent it at 4 PM today; I don't think they saw it before their committee meeting.
Congrats and when did they call you?

Accepted off the alternate list today also!!!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Snap y'all I was despondent after I didn't get a call yesterday, but I got an acceptance email this morning! Applied MD/MPH only

Reactions: 4 users
Is there an accepted students Facebook group?

II!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry I've been neglecting SDN, current module (Immuno/Micro/Path) has been a beast. Just wanted to drop in and say that I'm happy to answer anyone's questions about UM/Miami/med school in general if I missed them above or anything. (Make sure to quote or tag me so I get the notification). You can always PM me too if you'd like.

Also no question is off limits. If you have questions about negatives or anything that may be uncomfortable to ask, that's the most important kind of question to get answered. I won't be offended lol.

Is there an accepted students Facebook group?
It was actually just made today, but is currently empty, except for the admins. I think they're gonna start adding people soon.

Reactions: 4 users
Just a heads up for accepted students: The accepted student Facebook page is going live (as soon as I type in your email) so keep a look out for an invite in your inbox. If you haven't received an invite, please PM me and I'll look into the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
II today! Competed mid July, marked as reviewed around late August (not exactly sure when). Very excited! This school felt like a good fit when I was doing my apps and I'm looking forward to interviewing.

still haven't been scored, complete end of august :/

still haven't been scored, complete end of august :/

You are not alone!!

Plus I've been complete since July. But I don't think not getting scored doesn't necessarily mean that our apps are not being reviewed. They emailed me in November asking for my citizenship number (neutralized citizen here), so they have definitely opened our files, just haven't gotten around to scoring them.

Reactions: 1 users
did any one of you attend an information session/open house at UM prior to applying? do you know if UM does that?

Same. complete early August :/ do they eventually score everyone?

According to a post that I read earlier, they don't. Some people got rejected without ever having the scored status, which is pretty brutal...