2016-2017 University of Miami (Miller) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
GPA around 3.59 or something like that (I forgot the exact number, sorry:)
MCAT:522

Thank you, Ursus#1 for posting your stats. Would you mind detailing your background/extracurriculars/unusual activities?

Members don't see this ad.

Offered a II today for the MD/MPH program. Anyone have any advice for the MD/MPH interview specifically? i.e. the differences between the two interviews and what to expect for the MPH interview?
The MD/MPH interview is pretty similar to the MD interview process actually. The first day you are joined by both MD/MPH and MD students are tour, learn about the curriculum, talk with students, etc. Then you all each have your one interview sometime during that day. The only difference is that the next day you have to travel to West Palm Beach to see the Regional campus that you will spend year 3 (and likely year 4) at. A very small fraction (two of the people in my interview out of like 20) had their interview on that second day up at the regional campus, but for the most part expect one interview on the first day.

Also congrats! I am practically dying to get into this MD/MPH program. It is exactly what I want! Let's hope for some good news today!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The MD/MPH interview is pretty similar to the MD interview process actually. The first day you are joined by both MD/MPH and MD students are tour, learn about the curriculum, talk with students, etc. Then you all each have your one interview sometime during that day. The only difference is that the next day you have to travel to West Palm Beach to see the Regional campus that you will spend year 3 (and likely year 4) at. A very small fraction (two of the people in my interview out of like 20) had their interview on that second day up at the regional campus, but for the most part expect one interview on the first day.

Also congrats! I am practically dying to get into this MD/MPH program. It is exactly what I want! Let's hope for some good news today!

Thank you so much!! This is very helpful. And good luck - I'll send you positive vibes for an acceptance!

March 1st....decision release day. Anyone heard anything yet? Every time my email notification goes off, I have been having a minor heart attack. :help:

March 1st....decision release day. Anyone heard anything yet? Every time my email notification goes off, I have been having a minor heart attack. :help:
If you hear today it will be a call around 5pm.

If you hear today it will be a call around 5pm.

I know, but there are posts floating around this thread (and past years') of other receiving calls earlier in the day. You are probably right, but my own anxiety is currently controlling my actions (and the repeated pressing of the email refresh button).

I know, but there are posts floating around this thread (and past years') of other receiving calls earlier in the day. You are probably right, but my own anxiety is currently controlling my actions (and the repeated pressing of the email refresh button).

Don't tell me that. I've been doing a good job of keeping my anxiety at bay til 4ish.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Don't tell me that. I've been doing a good job of keeping my anxiety at bay til 4ish.

Sorry, sorry! Unfortunately, I haven't been as successful. I don't think I have stopped being anxious since Monday morning when my status changed to "final decision." 2 days later and I can definitely feel the toll its taking on my body ~ minimal sleep, no appetite, trouble concentrating etc. Not tired yet, but I bet the adrenaline crash is going to be epic.

... who could we contact, so that we clearly understand this process? For the next cycle, and if I still trust UM, I need to know the rules of the game prior to applying. Too many unanswered questions!

Honestly, UM has one of the most transparent processes; most schools won't give you anything. There was a picture on the beginning of this whole thread but it's not there anymore. Historically, you were scored out of 300 points. Points were given for GPA, MCAT, and undergrad "prestige" but these only amounted to 120/300 points. Your experiences, LORs, overcoming adversity, etc. were given more weight at 180/300 points.

This school is a lot more than just your GPA and MCAT. So while sharing your LizzyM is cool, it's less salient than other schools that are stat-heavy.

As far as the post-interview process, you're given additional points based on your interview and then you're thrown in the pot with everyone who interviewed. It's possible to have a decent initial score but if you didn't interview well then someone with an initial score lower than yours could potentially get bumped up on the list over you. It's also possible that someone who interviewed after you had an amazing first initial score and rocked the interview, bumping you down. Play with the scenarios at your leisure.

Each "decision day" they take the top 20-30 scores and accept them. The others are Alt-listed. It's possible to be Alt-listed one decision day and accepted the next because your score now made the cutoff. Beginning of May is when the meat is really moved on the Alt-list.

Mine some of the previous years for more data but this isn't a secret.

I caveat with this though. This has been the process for the last few years including when I went through the process last year but it can still be subject to change.

I hope this answers most of you guys' concerns. At any rate, there's nothing more you can do but sit back and let the process play itself out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
@teeayejay do you know if they will make any acceptance calls between 3/15 (last listed acceptance date) and May 1st? Or if we haven't heard by the last acceptance date should we not count on hearing til May?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, Ursus#1 for posting your stats. Would you mind detailing your background/extracurriculars/unusual activities?
Hi! I don't know how in-detail I want to go with my response but I can say that I did not apply straight out of undergrad (I have a masters degree). Aside from that I think my extracurriculars were pretty standard except for very extensive involvement in sports both during and after school. Hope that helps :)

Wow!
I just want to know how did you study, for how long and what did you study to get that awesome score!

Hi! I bought the Kaplan MCAT study book set and studied that on my own for about 4 months or so (less often/intensely at first and around four hours a day for the last few months). Hope that helps!

Can someone who is interviewing this Friday ask them how many people are currently on the scored post-interview list? It would be nice to see whether, on March 15, they will be picking 20 people from a list of 50 or 300...

Nothing yet. Status got updated to "final decision" earlier this week. 2/13 interview.

Me neither... Any chances they had a late meeting and are calling later in the week?

Me neither... Any chances they had a late meeting and are calling later in the week?

Based on past acceptance dates, they usually call til 6ish. If you don't get a call, chances are you'll get an alt list email in the morning, although I have heard of people being accepted in the morning but I think it's less likely.

Edited for typos

Accepted to MD and MD/MPH via phone call

Last edited:
Accepted to MD and MD/MPH via phone call
Did you happen to get a call from Agnes by any chance. I got a voicemail from her saying to call her back regarding my interview, so I was just wondering!

Did you happen to get a call from Agnes by any chance. I got a voicemail from her saying to call her back regarding my interview, so I was just wondering!
I couldn't really hear the person's name, but for the most part (based on the thread) if you receive a call on a decision day it seems to be for an acceptance. Good luck!

@teeayejay do you know if they will make any acceptance calls between 3/15 (last listed acceptance date) and May 1st? Or if we haven't heard by the last acceptance date should we not count on hearing til May?

It depends on if they've already sent out their quota of acceptances (usually a bit more than actual seats). If so, it turns into a waiting game; waiting for those who have been accepted to make a final decision (which they have to the beginning of May, I believe). I'd remain realistically optimistic.

Can someone who is interviewing this Friday ask them how many people are currently on the scored post-interview list? It would be nice to see whether, on March 15, they will be picking 20 people from a list of 50 or 300...

They won't tell you guys outright how many are on that list.

If you get a call, it's an acceptance. Grats. They email Alt-list.

It depends on if they've already sent out their quota of acceptances (usually a bit more than actual seats). If so, it turns into a waiting game; waiting for those who have been accepted to make a final decision (which they have to the beginning of May, I believe). I'd remain realistically optimistic.

They won't tell you guys outright how many are on that list.

If you get a call, it's an acceptance. Grats. They email Alt-list.
I actually don't think I did because my portal changed. First It said a decision was made and I would get a call or email but now it says your app and interview report will be reviewed a final time.....

I couldn't really hear the person's name, but for the most part (based on the thread) if you receive a call on a decision day it seems to be for an acceptance. Good luck!

I actually don't think I did because my portal changed. First It said a decision was made and I would get a call or email but now it says your app and interview report will be reviewed a final time.....Did your portal also change backwards like this lol.

I actually don't think I did because my portal changed. First It said a decision was made and I would get a call or email but now it says your app and interview report will be reviewed a final time.....Did your portal also change backwards like this lol.

Nope. It's still the final decision status.

Offered a II today for the MD/MPH program. Anyone have any advice for the MD/MPH interview specifically? i.e. the differences between the two interviews and what to expect for the MPH interview?
Congrats! How many interview dates were left?

i interviewed this past monday and they said they will continue to accept people every two weeks until the end of april. once applicants pick their top choice im sure the movement will be a lot faster than 20 people every two weeks.

Congrats! Looks like I will be on wait list.

I am somewhat confused. I though that if we didn't hear anything back yesterday, we would get a wait list email today? I haven't received anything yet. Has anyone else?

I am somewhat confused. I though that if we didn't hear anything back yesterday, we would get a wait list email today? I haven't received anything yet. Has anyone else?
I'm with you, haven't heard a thing :( !

I wonder how many interview slots are still up for grabs... my portal still says under review:nailbiting:

Reactions: 3 users
I wonder how many interview slots are still up for grabs... my portal still says under review:nailbiting:

Still holding on to the hope that they will give me an interview. From what I have heard, they interview into April. Has anyone else heard this?

I was wondering if any candidates who were wait listed at Miami Miller, but later were accepted and matriculated, could detail their experience a bit. When were they wait listed, what did they do in the interim, when did they hear back? Right now, my own plan is to submit an update letter with a few accomplishments and updates alongside a letter from my research mentor/supervisor with whom I have worked alongside with for the past year. Unfortunately, I am stopping work at the end of April (although I have the option to continue) as I haven't taken a break or vacation in about...3 years? And considering I will be starting medical school in the Fall regardless of Miami's decision, I figured I should take this time that I have to do that.

Considering the wait list decision, I am not sure if taking a vacation (which involves leaving the country for the whole of May) is the best idea. Should I continue working, so I will have more things to update the school with? Honestly, I am not a 100% fond of the idea, especially as I feel I have dedicated almost a year's worth of work to this application process and am desperately in need of a break.

Last edited:
For those who set up their interviews, did you follow up with an email to confirm your interview date? Or did you get email confirmation of your interview date after contacting the school?

"Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing." - Ron Swanson

Whatever I do, I will "whole-ass" the thing (I would never let down my mentor like that). But the choice remains ~ vacation and enter medical school looking and functioning marginally like a real human being, or, stay and work (if necessary) and enter medical school a zombie?

I think doing gross anatomy as a zombie might be a tidge awkward.

I was wondering if any candidates who were wait listed at Miami Miller, but later were accepted and matriculated, could detail their experience a bit. When were they wait listed, what did they do in the interim, when did they hear back? Right now, my own plan is to submit an update letter with a few accomplishments and updates alongside a letter from my research mentor/supervisor with whom I have worked alongside with for the past year. Unfortunately, I am stopping work at the end of April (although I have the option to continue) as I haven't taken a break or vacation in about...3 years? And considering I will be starting medical school in the Fall regardless of Miami's decision, I figured I should take this time that I have to do that.

Considering the wait list decision, I am not sure if taking a vacation (which involves leaving the country for the whole of May) is the best idea. Should I continue working, so I will have more things to update the school with? Honestly, I am not a 100% fond of the idea, especially as I feel I have dedicated almost a year's worth of work to this application process and am desperately in need of a break.

I interviewed the first Friday of February last year, was waitlisted the first Wednesday of March, and was accepted the first Monday of May. I sent one update letter in the interim, though I only had a 2-month time period in between the two. I was working at the time, and I kept working basically through the end of summer. My job had pretty good vacation time though, and I was really ready to go back to school, so this worked well for me. Taking vacation and refreshing yourself before the 4 most stressful years of your life (to date) is absolutely understandable and I encourage it. My only concern would be that, depending on where you go for vacation, if you don't have cell service, you might not be able to answer your acceptance call. I would let the admissions office know that, so they can send you an email (I'm assuming you'll have email access?).

I interviewed the first Friday of February last year, was waitlisted the first Wednesday of March, and was accepted the first Monday of May. I sent one update letter in the interim, though I only had a 2-month time period in between the two. I was working at the time, and I kept working basically through the end of summer. My job had pretty good vacation time though, and I was really ready to go back to school, so this worked well for me. Taking vacation and refreshing yourself before the 4 most stressful years of your life (to date) is absolutely understandable and I encourage it. My only concern would be that, depending on where you go for vacation, if you don't have cell service, you might not be able to answer your acceptance call. I would let the admissions office know that, so they can send you an email (I'm assuming you'll have email access?).

Thanks gcuddles. This is encouraging. In which case, I think I would follow through with my original plan (update letter, new letter of recommendation), just shift the timeline somewhat further. Maybe stay on at work for another month (it will be cooler, i.e. not deadly hot, where I am going in June rather than May anyway).

finally got the scored status on my portal!

anyone know if they're still sending out IIs? really hoping for one