2016-2017 University of Minnesota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone have one on the 30th?

Members don't see this ad.

II Duluth! Complete 07/31. Scheduled two weeks out. Will be the the first interview of the season for me!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
anybody interview yet? I'm curious about the feel of the MMI.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! I see that one station on interview day will be a "free-standing recruitment station". What is that exactly?

Congrats! I see that one station on interview day will be a "free-standing recruitment station". What is that exactly?
I don't remember anything like that. The powerpoint online says that you will have some rest stations though- maybe that is what you are referring to? We aren't allowed to disclose what the stations are, but I can assure you they were fun and easy going! I really liked MMI and think it is a valuable tool for assessing critical thinking. Good luck!

As I understand it, nearly all students that apply receive a secondary. The U of MN Twin Cities screens primaries based on the MCAT score, requiring a minimum score of 25 on the old exam or a 495 on the new exam, per their website.

anybody interview yet? I'm curious about the feel of the MMI.
The MMI was very relaxed. I would definitely run through some practice scenarios and just make sure you understand how everything works logistically. Going into the MMI knowing the flow and procedure will really help ease you into the process. Everyone at U of MN was so nice and welcoming and they are there during the MMI to help you with any questions or concerns you might have along the way. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
are there any traditional short interviews after the MMI? i heard that some schools do the MMI and then go right into a 30 minute traditional interview

As I understand it, nearly all students that apply receive a secondary. The U of MN Twin Cities screens primaries based on the MCAT score, requiring a minimum score of 25 on the old exam or a 495 on the new exam, per their website.
Interesting- because I haven't actually gotten a secondary, and I definitely meet that screen.

Members don't see this ad :)
are there any traditional short interviews after the MMI? i heard that some schools do the MMI and then go right into a 30 minute traditional interview

The MMI is the primary interview and what you'll for sure be graded on. The interview invite e-mail also says:

There will also be an opportunity for you to interact with a member of our faculty, administration, staff, or student body in a longer freeform conversation.

Last edited:
II yesterday twin cities

They send u an email asking u to pick 2 interview dates

II Friday afternoon! IS, complete mid August.

Reactions: 1 user

There was one 10 minute thing prior to the MMI starting which was more classic, just talking with a faculty member. Super relaxed though. I was unsure if I did really well when I came out, or if everybody was just that nice to me cause they were nice people.

I do want to caution everybody about asking or providing any specific information about the school's MMI. We are all asked to sign an agreement to not disclose any details.

has anyone heard anything from Duluth?? I submitted my secondary 6/29 and now I'm at the three month mark with no news!!

has anyone heard anything from Duluth?? I submitted my secondary 6/29 and now I'm at the three month mark with no news!!

Duluth has sent out numerous interviews. I haven't heard anyone being rejected yet, though. Also, when you get an interview invite they usually schedule it within a week or two.

I interviewed with them last week after getting II the week prior. They will call for II. Best of luck to you!

I interviewed with them last week after getting II the week prior. They will call for II. Best of luck to you!
Call of the II? So personal! This info is good to know. Thanks all!

Can you use paper and pencil for MMI?

My experience with the MMI this morning was great. There is absolutely no reason to be nervous. I had a great time with it and am looking forward to my next MMI interview!

Reactions: 1 users
im looking to apply as an OOS with a 504/3.6, should i apply only apply to the duluth (503/3.6 average) program? or is worth giving the twin cities program a shot too? their ave stats are 508/3.7

Applying to TC out of state with those stats, this late is wasting your money. Do you have a connection to rural medicine or a Native American community? If not, don't apply to Duluth either

im looking to apply as an OOS with a 504/3.6, should i apply only apply to the duluth (503/3.6 average) program? or is worth giving the twin cities program a shot too? their ave stats are 508/3.7
I was actually told at my Duluth interview that they immediately throw out all OOS applications unless that person is of Native American heritage, so I would not apply unless you meet that requirement. They only take 59 people a year and you better believe that 50 of those are applicants from rural MN and 9 are Native American applicants. If you are going to apply to any MN school make it Twin Cities.

The mission of the duluth campus is to serve the rural population of Minnesota, and the Native American reservations. The Native American mission is essentially only filled by people who have significant ties to a reservation, which is tough if you aren’t yourself Native American. The rural Minnesota thing is mostly justified by people who have lived in a small town; some applicants move to a small town for a year before applying to “prove” they want small town life, if they don’t have a background in it.

Twin cities is a more standard public university, still hoping to serve the state of Minnesota.

Being an out of state applicant, if you don’t have strong rural or Native American ties I’m not sure the Duluth campus will be fruitful – so the TC campus may be more likely based on that alone. However, with your slightly below average stats for TC, and the fact that it is later in the cycle to be adding a school, you are also less likely to find success there.

How long is the wait time typically between submission of secondary and II offer?

Late to the game. Waiting for secondary.

To those people who interviewed earlier in September, do you remember what the date was in October they said they might have responses by? Was it October 15th?

To those people who interviewed earlier in September, do you remember what the date was in October they said they might have responses by? Was it October 15th?

They will be sending out the first batch of acceptances on the 15th.

If it is anything like those who interviewed in late September, the window given by the Office of Admissions was 6-8 weeks after interview, but with the intent to finalize their decision as soon as possible.

Also, the first day of acceptances this year is October 17th because AAMC traffic rules prohibit anything on the weekend (apparently).

I was actually told at my Duluth interview that they immediately throw out all OOS applications unless that person is of Native American heritage, so I would not apply unless you meet that requirement. They only take 59 people a year and you better believe that 50 of those are applicants from rural MN and 9 are Native American applicants. If you are going to apply to any MN school make it Twin Cities.

This isn't completely true. I am a non Native American Wisconsin resident who interviewed at Duluth several weeks ago. I am attending college at a small liberal arts school in Duluth, and I hope to stay in Minnesota in the future, so this may have helped me to get an interview.

Rejected today from Duluth. IS LizzyM ~70. Complete August 23rd. Duluth was my #1.