2016-2017 University of Minnesota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed 9/16 and still haven't heard back. I'm hoping there'll be some more calls today.

Do schools make calls more than once a week?

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted to TC!!!!!! (Got the call yesterday just didn't post right away!)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wait listed today. Super bummed, but still hopeful. IS, interviewed 9/16. LizzyM 82. Hopefully I'll hear back from other schools before May :/. Does anyone have any idea as to the number of students that get accepted off the wait list before the official rankings come out in April/May?

Wait listed today. Super bummed, but still hopeful. IS, interviewed 9/16. LizzyM 82. Hopefully I'll hear back from other schools before May :/. Does anyone have any idea as to the number of students that get accepted off the wait list before the official rankings come out in April/May?
I'm sorry to hear that. TC or Duluth?

I'm sorry to hear that. TC or Duluth?
TC. I still have three other schools that I interviewed at though, and two more interviews coming. I'm hopeful, but it would've been nice to have a 'back-up' of sorts in the coming few months.

Reactions: 1 user

Wait.. is that a typo with your Lizzy M?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Wait.. is that a typo with your Lizzy M?

No, I thankfully did really well on the MCAT. I know my application is lacking a bit in the volunteering areas, so I'm hoping the large score will help outweigh that.

No, I thankfully did really well on the MCAT. I know my application is lacking a bit in the volunteering areas, so I'm hoping the large score will help outweigh that.

Well it sounds like you have 6 interviews already, so you'll obviously be just fine.

So far I'm getting complete radio silence--no II but no rejection. The mental gymnastics of trying to figure out what ADCOM is thinking are exhausting and I can't help but engage in them. My best guess: everyone that interviewed so far are the elite, the best of the best, and ADCOM knows they'll have several acceptances. They want to extend offers to those folks first, knowing that not all of them will matriculate. The rest of us in the mediocre middle will have to wait until that first wave has acted on their acceptances, and then we'll have to compete for the spots that are left. Maybe the reason there haven't been any IIs for a while is that the U is waiting to see how many spots they need to fill after their first wave of offers.

</idle speculation>

So far I'm getting complete radio silence--no II but no rejection. The mental gymnastics of trying to figure out what ADCOM is thinking are exhausting and I can't help but engage in them. My best guess: everyone that interviewed so far are the elite, the best of the best, and ADCOM knows they'll have several acceptances. They want to extend offers to those folks first, knowing that not all of them will matriculate. The rest of us in the mediocre middle will have to wait until that first wave has acted on their acceptances, and then we'll have to compete for the spots that are left. Maybe the reason there haven't been any IIs for a while is that the U is waiting to see how many spots they need to fill after their first wave of offers.

</idle speculation>

It's hard not to obsess over it. I am battling with it myself. It is just something that means so much to us, that we have worked so hard towards. I just hope one of the schools sees the potential in us.

</idle speculation>

I think a better explanation for why there haven't been any IIs recently is that the ADCOM is busy doing final reviews on applicants that have already interviewed, not necessarily that they're purposely waiting. Most people won't "act" on their acceptances until April. The U already knows how many people they need to accept, they don't have to wait to hear from acceptees before offering more acceptances.

Has anyone received a waitlist or rejection post interview at Duluth?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody interview in TC on 9/20 hear back yet???

Also accepted to Duluth today! Interviewed 9/22, IS, not from a small town. So excited

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewing at TC in a month. Anyone have any insight or tips about the mmi?

Also accepted to Duluth today! Interviewed 9/22, IS, not from a small town. So excited

Congratulations! Do you have experience with rural health care or are you Native American, etc.?

Interviewing at TC in a month. Anyone have any insight or tips about the mmi?

There are a few good videos on YouTube that can help you become familiar with the cadence of an MMI and how to structure your answer.

Congratulations! Do you have experience with rural health care or are you Native American, etc.?
Not Native, just passionate about rural medicine, did a lot of rural shadowing, and made a good case for why I wanted to go rural.

Recently rejected from TC campus pre-II :(

Does this preclude me getting an II from Duluth?

There are a few good videos on YouTube that can help you become familiar with the cadence of an MMI and how to structure your answer.
I'm sorry to hear that. Would you mind telling me your complete date?

At my interview day they mentioned their goal with previous years was 8-10 weeks to decision (accept, reject, alternate list). This year they are shooting for 5-6 weeks.
I add this for those who haven't attended, or if it wasn't mentioned at other interview dates.

Got my acceptance letter last night. Then, woke up and realized it was all just a dream! It'll probably remain just a dream since my application was complete November.

Last edited:
When did you hear? Also, was it via email/phone call?

Interview invites are by email
Waitlist/rejection are by email

Acceptances are by phone (will leave voicemail).

Would anyone who got an II recently mind telling me when they were complete?

Do just accepted students see the option to pay tuition deposits? Or does everybody? I have that option but haven't received a call about acceptance. Thanks and let me know!

Do just accepted students see the option to pay tuition deposits? Or does everybody? I have that option but haven't received a call about acceptance. Thanks and let me know!

I don't have that option. When did you interview?

Are you guys are your secondary application? Interviewed Sep.30th. Here is a picture

Attachments

• umint.PNG
    umint.PNG
    14 KB · Views: 167
Are you guys are your secondary application? Interviewed Sep.30th. Here is a picture

I only have 1-4 on my portal but interviewed in October. I think you're going to hear some great news today! I don't think it could hurt to call and ask adcoms why you have the option to pay deposit.

Last edited:
Lol that is what I am hoping! I called them and all they told me is that I will get a call and email verification of acceptance. We will see I guess!

I have the same thing... So it is an acceptance??! Eeek!

Edit: I called and the woman I spoke to said it might be a glitch that they are looking into... hmmmm..

Last edited:
I have the same thing... So it is an acceptance??! Eeek!

Edit: I called and the woman I spoke to said it might be a glitch that they are looking into... hmmmm..

I see. When did you interview?

I have #5 in my portal too! We'll see if that's an omen of anything..

Man, now if you all get an acceptance after seeing this I'll actually feel like I have a reason to neurotically check the portal daily.