2016-2017 University of Minnesota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected today from Duluth. IS LizzyM ~70. Complete August 23rd. Duluth was my #1.

Sorry to hear. Best Of luck at other schools you applied! If you don't mind sharing are you from a rural town?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear. Best Of luck at other schools you applied! If you don't mind sharing are you from a rural town?

Yes I am. Population <10,000. Hope to one day practice in a rural area as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it is anything like those who interviewed in late September, the window given by the Office of Admissions was 6-8 weeks after interview, but with the intent to finalize their decision as soon as possible.

Also, the first day of acceptances this year is October 17th because AAMC traffic rules prohibit anything on the weekend (apparently).

They did specifically say that they would come in that saturday at my interview date (9/12), have they since revised that?

They did specifically say that they would come in that saturday at my interview date (9/12), have they since revised that?
Do you know if you were the first week to interview? Or were interviews held before you?

On the portal it says they will be sending out the first batch of admissions decisions on the 15th.

Rush began sending out offers today so... Perhaps the Oct 17 rule isn't so set in stone.

don't they do calls and not emails for acceptances here?

They've randomly sent me a secondary for twin cities even though I submitted my primary in August and am well over their MCAT cut off.

Sort of think it's not worth it to submit now though considering how late it is and how quick their cycle is. Am I correct in thinking this?

Members don't see this ad :)
So has anyone heard anything/think that we could still hear something tonight? Or should I stop obsessively checking my email/phone/SDN until tomorrow? :p

Reactions: 2 users
So has anyone heard anything/think that we could still hear something tonight? Or should I stop obsessively checking my email/phone/SDN until tomorrow? :p

I would like to know that too. Per last years thread the first acceptances were sent 10/16, so one day later than they could have been sent out per AAMC recommendation.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got accepted to UMD! She called me about an hour ago! So excited!!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
I am accepted to UMD!!! Definitely going here :)

Reactions: 4 users
Got the UMD acceptance call last night! Interviewed 9/12. Unbelievable!!

I interviewed on the second earliest interview day at the twin cities campus (9/20) and they said it would be about 8-10 weeks before they were going to send out acceptances.

I interviewed on the second earliest interview day at the twin cities campus (9/20) and they said it would be about 8-10 weeks before they were going to send out acceptances.

I've talked to friends who interviewed last year on an early date though and they said they got their responses before 8-10 weeks. But it might be too much to ask to get an early response around this week.

On the online portal it says the first decision letters would be sent out on October 15, 2016 so that's why I thought we might hear.

When I attended my interview on 9/30 they said that while they were hoping for a quicker turnaround, they would most likely be sending out decisions in 6-8 weeks. This is primarily because there are two more rounds of review before a decision is made on your application, quite a lengthy process.

I've talked to friends who interviewed last year on an early date though and they said they got their responses before 8-10 weeks. But it might be too much to ask to get an early response around this week.

Yeah I know in the past they usually have had a quick turnaround! I know that this was the very first year of them using the MMI format so I think they wanted to give themselves extra time to adjust to the different scoring system and how to assess interview scores, especially for the first few rounds of interviews. However I'm sure it should be quicker than that and they just said 8-10 weeks to give themselves plenty of wiggle room.

Also interviewed on 9/20 and can confirm this. I'd be interested to hear when acceptance calls for TC start coming in!

Reactions: 1 user
Just got the call! Accepted! :) Interviewed on 9/20. IS. LM is complicated lol but ~3.9 GPA and most recent MCAT was a 521.

Reactions: 1 users
WOAH ME TOO! I MISSED THE CALL BUT Wahahahahashhfas;ldkfjas;lk omg

Any advice for those set to interview at TC soon?

Any advice for those set to interview at TC soon?
My best advice would be to simply relax. The MMI is very laid back and they run it quite smoothly. You also get a chance to have a regular 15 minute one-on-one interview with someone where you can talk about your application, which is a nice complement to the MMI format. Just be yourself and breathe. They are so welcoming and really just want to see that you can talk intelligently and articulately about issues in medicine. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted at TC!!! Interviewed on 9/16. IS. LizzyM ~70. GPA 3.82. MCAT 511.

Reactions: 3 users
Couldn't be more excited to also have gotten an acceptance call from TC today :) Interviewed 9/16, IS

post-secondary, pre-II rejection email today! OOS and complete 7/22.

congratulations to everyone receiving acceptance calls!! and good luck everyone still in the running. :)

I interviewed 9/16 and still haven't heard back. I'm hoping there'll be some more calls today.

I interviewed 9/20 and my phone's ringer is currently turned up to: