2017-2018 A.T. Still University - Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (ATSU-KCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It was nice to meet you all yesterday. Best of luck to every one of you!

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone explain why they like this school so much? I'm totally not meaning to sound rude; just genuinely curious to hear opinions. I've personally been way more impressed by KCU and DMU this cycle. Just curious to hear reasoning of anyone who is planning on choosing ATSU over either of those. I have interviewed at all 3 of these schools.

I understand that KCOM is an excellent school with a great track record. But the general impression I get from 3rd and 4th years at this school is that the school is becoming more antiquated and dependent on their standing reputation, rather than actively trying to improve and progress.

That said, I recognize it is an excellent school and any students who get in would be well-served to go here. I'm only speaking comparatively.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone explain why they like this school so much? I'm totally not meaning to sound rude; just genuinely curious to hear opinions. I've personally been way more impressed by KCU and DMU this cycle. Just curious to hear reasoning of anyone who is planning on choosing ATSU over either of those. I have interviewed at all 3 of these schools.

I understand that KCOM is an excellent school with a great track record. But the general impression I get from 3rd and 4th years at this school is that the school is becoming more antiquated and dependent on their standing reputation, rather than actively trying to improve and progress.

That said, I recognize it is an excellent school and any students who get in would be well-served to go here. I'm only speaking comparatively.

Well, speaking as an applicant who interviewed (and not one who has the experience as a current student), I am in awe of their curriculum (I love that they integrate Ultra Sound into their curriculum - as they are one of only 9 schools in the US to do that). AND all of the current students that I was able to have in-depth conversations with (as I stayed with a student host and had the opportunity to meet a lot of students) really loved their school. Many of them had multiple acceptances and chose their school. They were all greatful that they did.

For those who haven't visited the campus yet, students at this school do their first two years in Kirksville and then do their M3 & M4 years at a different site/hospital (for the most part). So I am a little curious where you spoke with M3 & M4 students at, as there are not a whole lot in Kirksville.

I hope this helps some.

Well, speaking as an applicant who interviewed (and not one who has the experience as a current student), I am in awe of their curriculum (I love that they integrate Ultra Sound into their curriculum - as they are one of only 9 schools in the US to do that). AND all of the current students that I was able to have in-depth conversations with (as I stayed with a student host and had the opportunity to meet a lot of students) really loved their school. Many of them had multiple acceptances and chose their school. They were all greatful that they did.

For those who haven't visited the campus yet, students at this school do their first two years in Kirksville and then do their M3 & M4 years at a different site/hospital (for the most part). So I am a little curious where you spoke with M3 & M4 students at, as there are not a whole lot in Kirksville.

I hope this helps some.

I actually work as a scribe at 2 of the hospitals where rotations are done. So I've worked in close proximity to 15-20 KCOM students in the last 2 years. Also I have several personal acquaintances who are 3rd and 4th years.

I actually work as a scribe at 2 of the hospitals where rotations are done. So I've worked in close proximity to 15-20 KCOM students in the last 2 years. Also I have several personal acquaintances who are 3rd and 4th years.
That makes sense! Thanks!

everyone has their fit. if KCOM doesn't seem to fit your personality or desires, then hopefully you get into KCU or DMU. you shouldn't have to be talked into liking a school. when i interviewed there, i knew right away it's where i wanted to go.

Hey guys. I have an interview coming up. If accepted, will I need to get a DO rec letter? thanks in advance

Used an MD letter, wasn't a problem. Hope you enjoy the school, I loved my interview there!
Thank You!! I do appreciate letting me know. I was about to go pester the DO at the clinic I scribe at! I am from the deeply rural Midwest so I would love it here

Does anyone know if there is a Facebook page for those accepted yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone that interviewed on November 6th heard back from admissions?
I interviewed on November 6th and I haven't heard back from them so I'm a little concerned. I haven't received an email or a call about my status.. :(

I interviewed on November 6th and I haven't heard back from them so I'm a little concerned. I haven't received an email or a call about my status.. :(
I interviewed on November 13th and I haven't heard back either. I am wondering if they are behind due to Thanksgiving.

I interviewed on Novemeber 6 and haven't heard anything yet. I emailed the school on November 20 and they said, "We apologize for the delay in providing a decision to you but unfortunately with the holiday break we are betting a bit behind in getting files through the committee. You should have a decision in 2-3 weeks." So I expect that we will hear something next week!

I'm interviewing in a few days and would love any recommendations or advice for the interview from those who have interviewed this cycle or any current students. Thanks so much!

I'm interviewing in a few days and would love any recommendations or advice for the interview from those who have interviewed this cycle or any current students. Thanks so much!
Basically it will be 3 30 minute interviews. One of them will be with someone from Adcom, one will be with a professor and one likely with a MD/DO. Each person has a different interview style but expect one of the interviewers to be more questions based. My interview with the physician was extremely laid back and chill. The one with Adcom was the shortest one and was my opportunity to ask questions.

I just got an acceptance call! I'm extremely excited!! :) This was my favorite DO school during interviews and I can't wait to begin! :)

Accepted! Interviewed 11/20 - most likely will be respectfully withdrawing since I got into my state school.

Accepted! Interviewed 11/20 - most likely will be respectfully withdrawing since I got into my state school.
Did they call you? Or did you receive a letter (or an email)? I interviewed on 11/17, and I haven't heard anything yet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

I interviewed on the 10th and have not heard anything yet. They forgot about me! :)

Accepted yesterday, interviewed 11/17. Will most likely be withdrawing acceptance.

Interviewed here this month and was so impressed. I absolutely loved it. I’m hoping to hear back before Christmas, but I’m expecting it won’t be till early January. Seems like everyone’s hearing back in 2-3 weeks. Anyone who’s interviewed and heard back have any insight?

Interviewed here this month and was so impressed. I absolutely loved it. I’m hoping to hear back before Christmas, but I’m expecting it won’t be till early January. Seems like everyone’s hearing back in 2-3 weeks. Anyone who’s interviewed and heard back have any insight?
Interviewed on 11/17. Haven't heard anything yet in almost a month, but I'm guessing it's probably because of the Thanksgiving week.

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

Does anyone know the post-interview acceptance rate here?

Got an email from one of my interviewers this morning congratulating me on my acceptance! Love how personal and supportive this school is. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Do they do rejections over phone call too? Couldn't answer at work and got a mysterious voicemail to "call back as soon as possible"

If this was from a 660 number it is most likely acceptance. Thy don’t call for rejections

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Do they not get back to interviewees of the same group at the same time? I've seen people in my group and from groups before and after me hearing back, and I've yet to hear back almost a month later. Do you think I need to call them? Or just wait some more?

Do they not get back to interviewees of the same group at the same time? I've seen people in my group and from groups before and after me hearing back, and I've yet to hear back almost a month later. Do you think I need to call them? Or just wait some more?

If people from your group and after you have heard back, I think it is fair to give them a call. The worst they can say is there hasn't been a decision yet.

I specifically remember someone at my interview on the administrative side saying that's kind of how they do things in batches and sometimes hold off on accepting people but that it just means you're still being reviewed. They don't seem to follow the strict group by group feedback
Oh...ok I see. Thank you!