2017-2018 Albany Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just withdrew my acceptance here. I hope it goes to one of you! Good luck, everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When do you guys think they will start taking people off the alternate list?

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone received an immunizations/physical exam form or know where I could find one?

anyone have access to amc's academic calendar? to figure out when classes start and when we have days off and breaks.

Accepted today off alternate list!

Reactions: 1 users
anyone have access to amc's academic calendar? to figure out when classes start and when we have days off and breaks.

The Dean of Education sent out the 2018-2019 academic calendar April 15th. If you were accepted after that I think reaching out to get that information is best ( since I can't find it at all on the website lol)

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted off the Alternate List yesterday.

Reactions: 2 users
To those that are still on the alternate list. If you call in and ask do they release what wait list spot # you are. Or is that all top secret?

To those that are still on the alternate list. If you call in and ask do they release what wait list spot # you are. Or is that all top secret?
I think that’s confidential but I’m curious how many alternate spots were offered this year because they’ve done it earlier than previous years.

I think that’s confidential but I’m curious how many alternate spots were offered this year because they’ve done it earlier than previous years.

Would be nice to know but oh well I guess. Yes, I’m also wondering how many spots they have. I’m guessing more than last year which, if memory serves, was like 9 acceptances? I believe I read that on the MSAR but don’t quote me. Already saw three or four on here so I’m sure spots are going quick.

Doesn't seem like any rejections recently... was everyone offered an alternate spot?

From the previous MSAR, they offered like 200 waitlist spots and 57ish people accepted to be on the Alternate List but only 9 were admitted. I think this year maybe they offered 250-300 spots and 80 accepted and maybe end up admitting like 15-20ish people? This is all just speculation.

From the previous MSAR, they offered like 200 waitlist spots and 57ish people accepted to be on the Alternate List but only 9 were admitted. I think this year maybe they offered 250-300 spots and 80 accepted and maybe end up admitting like 15-20ish people? This is all just speculation.

Sounds like a pretty good speculation to me!

Can any current students comment on whether you need a car or not on campus? I've got the opportunity to get rid of mine so I don't have to keep paying, but if I need a car I'd keep it. I'm looking to live within a mile of the campus.

Last edited:
Can any current students comment on whether you need a car or not on campus? I've got the opportunity to get rid of mine so I don't have to keep paying, but if I need a car I'd keep it. I'm looking to live within a mile of the campus.
You don't need a car. Plenty of people have cars here and you could probably go with them to the grocery store or something. That being said, I would try and live as close to campus as possible. If I had to choose, I would rather live close with no car rather than far with a car. Driving to school in the winter/snow sucks and also would significantly add on to your commute time.

Oh wow that late? I remember reading something about June... what was that for?

I believe June was when they originally said they will take people off from UC in that UC list email. This year they made the alternate list earlier so in that email they said they will accept anytime till Aug 6, if need be.

The silence this last week makes me think they filled all their open spots with that last round of accepted alternates. Does that mean we are just waiting for people to change their minds at this point?

The silence this last week makes me think they filled all their open spots with that last round of accepted alternates. Does that mean we are just waiting for people to change their minds at this point?

By "changing their mind," it'd either be that they just decide to not go to medical school or get accepted to a more preferred school, right?

I think it's still too early for Albany to fill all of its open spots. We should remember that there might be quite a lot of movement/new acceptances occurring but not everyone who gets accepted will post on SDN. We should still have hope!

The facebook group seems less than full, also considering many of them are MS1.

Reactions: 3 users
The facebook group seems less than full, also considering many of them are MS1.
I see the member number going up, but the "recently" added people are all current MS1s...

Why are the MS1s joining the group though?

Just a guess, but could be anything from trying to find future tenants for where they are living currently to they are needing to repeat M1.

I called the admissions and they said they are still filling current vacancies, but they do not send acceptances out every day. It almost seems like they did not send any acceptances out this week. Of course, there are those who do not use SDN.

I called the admissions and they said they are still filling current vacancies, but they do not send acceptances out every day. It almost seems like they did not send any acceptances out this week. Of course, there are those who do not use SDN.
By current vacancies, do you mean that the class is not full yet, because that's the impression I got from seeing the FB page, it also seems too early for the class to be completely full yet? And yeah, that's how it seems to me too...I guess it must be because when they reach out individual students for acceptances, they need to give them some time to respond. I guess logistics get in the way of quickly reaching out to students and going down the alternate list quickly....let's cross our fingers

By current vacancies, do you mean that the class is not full yet, because that's the impression I got from seeing the FB page, it also seems too early for the class to be completely full yet? And yeah, that's how it seems to me too...I guess it must be because when they reach out individual students for acceptances, they need to give them some time to respond. I guess logistics get in the way of quickly reaching out to students and going down the alternate list quickly....let's cross our fingers
Yep, the class is still not full. And good point, lets hope for more movement next week I guess.

Current student here: looking at the people who have joined the FB page is a very unreliable estimate of how many have been accepted into the class.

Current student here: looking at the people who have joined the FB page is a very unreliable estimate of how many have been accepted into the class.

So what is your personal opinion on the current numbers of the Facebook group for our (would-be) class?

Is that because many of the students on that page are current students (MS1-MS2's)?

So what is your personal opinion on the current numbers of the Facebook group for our (would-be) class?
My opinion is that you shouldn't worry about the number of people in the facebook group, it is a very unreliable marker of how many people are actually in the class

My opinion is that you shouldn't worry about the number of people in the facebook group, it is a very unreliable marker of how many people are actually in the class

Thanks for your insight :) By unreliable, do you mean the group is likely to have more people than the number of people in the class, or fewer?

They will prolly send out more acceptances tomorrow since it has been 2 weeks now from last round. Lets hope for the best. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Received a rejection today after being put on the alternate list.

I have also been rejected this morning after being placed on the alternate list a few weeks ago.

Received a rejection today after being put on the alternate list.
Sorry to hear.. :-/ But how could this be possible?? Don't they send out rejections to those still on the alternate list around end of July/beginning of August..?

Sorry to hear.. :-/ But how could this be possible?? Don't they send out rejections to those still on the alternate list around end of July/beginning of August..?
That is exactly what I was expecting. I can only assume that they have enough people confirmed to matriculate this fall, that they knew for a fact that they would not be reaching us on the waitlist. I am assuming that I was on the bottom of the waitlist, which is the only thing that makes sense to me at this point.

That is exactly what I was expecting. I can only assume that they have enough people confirmed to matriculate this fall, that they knew for a fact that they would not be reaching us on the waitlist. I am assuming that I was on the bottom of the waitlist, which is the only thing that makes sense to me at this point.
Ah that makes sense...

Gosh, they must be pretty confident with their class now. Sorry to hear about the rejections, I’m sure you guys will kill it next cycle!

Hey everyone! I'm thinking of applying to Albany this coming cycle and am wondering if it's pretty OOS friendly? Thank you! :)