2017-2018 Albany Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone! I'm thinking of applying to Albany this coming cycle and am wondering if it's pretty OOS friendly? Thank you! :)

It’s private so there’s no in state bias

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That is exactly what I was expecting. I can only assume that they have enough people confirmed to matriculate this fall, that they knew for a fact that they would not be reaching us on the waitlist. I am assuming that I was on the bottom of the waitlist, which is the only thing that makes sense to me at this point.

I didn’t even get a rejection and now I’m starting to wonder if I was even on the alternate list to begin with since it didn’t really give me a confirmation or anything and I was able to submit it again and again...

Reactions: 2 users
I didn’t even get a rejection and now I’m starting to wonder if I was even on the alternate list to begin with since it didn’t really give me a confirmation or anything and I was able to submit it again and again...
I have not gotten a rejection yet either. I bet you are on the alternate list if you submitted it again and again. I saw that I had the ability to submit multiple times as well, I just never actually clicked the submit button. You can call Albany to verify that you are on the list if you are still concerned.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I also was able to submit it (and did submit it) multiple times but I was definitely on the alternate list because I was accepted from it a couple weeks ago. If anything this might be good news, meaning you're toward the top of the list.

I was accepted at the end of January, but just got accepted off the waitlist at another school. After a very stressful week deciding between the two and some unsuccessful negotiations, I decided to leave Albany to go to the other school. It was a close one though!

Hopefully one of you that is still UC or waitlisted will be able to attend!

Reactions: 4 users
I was accepted at the end of January, but just got accepted off the waitlist at another school. After a very stressful week deciding between the two and some unsuccessful negotiations, I decided to leave Albany to go to the other school. It was a close one though!

Hopefully one of you that is still UC or waitlisted will be able to attend!
You are the hero that we need

Accepted today off the alternate list!! Beyond excited :soexcited: Hopefully more good news comes for the rest of you soon!!

Accepted today off the alternate list!! Beyond excited :soexcited: Hopefully more good news comes for the rest of you soon!!
Congrats! Mind sharing / DMing me your stats?

One person rescinds acceptance and another gets accepted. I think we are definitely in replacement mode (ie. class full).

One person rescinds acceptance and another gets accepted. I think we are definitely in replacement mode (ie. class full).
i called today, and they confirmed that is not the case. Believe it or not, they said that they are still trying to fill current vacancies - the class is still NOT full. They are very conservatively and slowly sending out acceptances so as to not over-fill and have to deal with that issue. If you don’t belive me, call them on Monday. They are very happy to explain (very friendly).

Reactions: 6 users
thanks for calling
Np at all! I wanted to know the truth too haha. Whether or not we end up getting accepted, it’s easier to know what’s really going on rather than speculating and worrying during an already stressful time.

Reactions: 3 users
Serious question. How would they no if I'm a re-applicant if I haven't applied to their school before. Is there any way they could find out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted by email. Interviewed 3/9. 511 GPA 3.84. OOS Missouri.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi Everyone! I recently commented about how I had to withdraw my acceptance at Albany - I honestly thought I was going to Albany, so I had signed a lease and everything, and now I am trying to find someone to replace me. I was going to live in the 2nd floor unit of a house (10 min walking distance from AMC). Please message me if you are interested! It's a nice place with a renovated kitchen, new windows, and a new heating system. The first floor unit has all med students so it should be nice and quiet. Thank you and Congratulations!!

Any movement lately? Seems to be slowing down...

Any movement lately? Seems to be slowing down...
Recent update: the class is still NOT full. They are still accepting off of the alternate list VERY conservatively. And they do NOT send acceptances out everyday of the week. They apparently send acceptances out one at a time, not like a bunch all at once. When they do send an acceptance out, they give the person 3 days to respond. And...with the weekend, there's only 5 days in a week hence why it feels so slow...It's a long tedious process but there is still hope.

Serious question. How would they no if I'm a re-applicant if I haven't applied to their school before. Is there any way they could find out?

I'm pretty sure it's asked on your AMCAS app if you've applied before. If it's not AMCAS certainly has that information and can share it with medical schools. I wouldn't lie about this. There's definitely a bit of a disadvantage to being a re-applicant but if they find out you lied/omitted information to make it seem like you weren't, it's certainly grounds for rejection.

I'm pretty sure it's asked on your AMCAS app if you've applied before. If it's not AMCAS certainly has that information and can share it with medical schools. I wouldn't lie about this. There's definitely a bit of a disadvantage to being a re-applicant but if they find out you lied/omitted information to make it seem like you weren't, it's certainly grounds for rejection.

Actually, technically AMCAS asks if you've applied before for that specific school, not in general, and seeing how one school doesn't see any other information except for the info you've provided for its own school, they won't know if you're a re-applicant somewhere else. ALSO, many admission officers have assured me in past interactions/conversations, depending on the school, that there is no disadvantage to being a re-applicant - in fact, you're looked at in great light for your persistence so as long as you've improved your application.

very very true. In fact, on interview day a member of the administrative team said "we basically call ourselves UC Albany" :laugh:
lol i mean there's like 13 - 14 people from California in the first year class so it's not as many people from California as you would think

lol i mean there's like 13 - 14 people from California in the first year class so it's not as many people from California as you would think
Also true, although this doesn’t include students from California who were interviewed and offered acceptances.

Accepted students: I wish we had more orientation info/ start of the school year info.

Actually, technically AMCAS asks if you've applied before for that specific school, not in general, and seeing how one school doesn't see any other information except for the info you've provided for its own school, they won't know if you're a re-applicant somewhere else. ALSO, many admission officers have assured me in past interactions/conversations, depending on the school, that there is no disadvantage to being a re-applicant - in fact, you're looked at in great light for your persistence so as long as you've improved your application.

Albany's secondary asks if you've applied previously to any medical school (see page one of this thread) so it seems like this is all a moot point. Also I completely agree; if you have improved your application being a re-applicant can be a great thing which is exactly why I don't think you should try to cover it up.

Anybody familiar with the AMSNY post-bac program/know anybody that is going through or has gone through it? I interviewed with AMC back in September and was rejected post-interview, but received the offer for this program just yesterday after reviewing my file with someone on the adcom last week.

Basically it’s a 1-year MS
program in Buffalo that (barring meeting the standards) grants automatic admission into next year’s class. Also tuition is covered w/ an additional stipend. So it seems like a great (and honestly very unexpected) opportunity. But I’d love to hear from anyone whose got any info on the program experience wise.

Just very unsure of what to do and I’ve got about a week to decide whether to accept the offer.

Also, I’m still currently on 3 waitlists. Though I’m not betting on anything happening with any of them this late in the game.

Anybody familiar with the AMSNY post-bac program/know anybody that is going through or has gone through it? I interviewed with AMC back in September and was rejected post-interview, but received the offer for this program just yesterday after reviewing my file with someone on the adcom last week.

Basically it’s a 1-year MS
program in Buffalo that (barring meeting the standards) grants automatic admission into next year’s class. Also tuition is covered w/ an additional stipend. So it seems like a great (and honestly very unexpected) opportunity. But I’d love to hear from anyone whose got any info on the program experience wise.

Just very unsure of what to do and I’ve got about a week to decide whether to accept the offer.

Also, I’m still currently on 3 waitlists. Though I’m not betting on anything happening with any of them this late in the game.
Sounds neat. I don’t see what you have to lose

one year delay and you are in -- take it.

Just accepted off the waitlist!! When does orientation and class start??

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted this morning! Reapplicant LM 67-69. Best of luck to those still waiting.

Reactions: 10 users
Not sure. I was planning on calling today. If I ever get a straight answer I will update here!
Did you end up calling/getting anything useful? I wouldn't want to call them again if you did have an updates for us :)!

Yeah, second cycle with 8 interviews total. I guess it’s about time I take the hint and accept I’m not cut out for the field.
I wouldn’t call it quits after 2 cycles. I would skip this upcoming cycle and apply the following year. Also, did you apply MD only? Regardless, we are more than just our AMCAS numbers.

Yeah, second cycle with 8 interviews total. I guess it’s about time I take the hint and accept I’m not cut out for the field.

8 interviews is nothing to scoff at! It seems like you're nearly there. I think studentdr12 has given you some great advice. I would try to get with any available admissions committee members/counselors at schools you've interviewed at to pinpoint weak areas and then apply again for the 2020 cycle. If you were waitlisted and just rejected now at this stage in the game you were just a few slots away from making it in. If this is something you really want for yourself you can definitely make it happen!

Albany's secondary asks if you've applied previously to any medical school (see page one of this thread) so it seems like this is all a moot point. Also I completely agree; if you have improved your application being a re-applicant can be a great thing which is exactly why I don't think you should try to cover it up.
The thing is, I only applied to the two new schools that opened in March last year, in large part because I didn't know that other schools would ask if I'm a re-applicant. Since I literally only applied a few months ago, I don't really have anything new to put, although I am starting a new activity in July. Should I just explain that I intended to apply this cycle, but just applied to those two schools because they opened late and I wanted a shot at entering med school a year earlier than I intended?

The thing is, I only applied to the two new schools that opened in March last year, in large part because I didn't know that other schools would ask if I'm a re-applicant. Since I literally only applied a few months ago, I don't really have anything new to put, although I am starting a new activity in July. Should I just explain that I intended to apply this cycle, but just applied to those two schools because they opened late and I wanted a shot at entering med school a year earlier than I intended?

Oh okay, I understand. Last cycle (2018) you only applied for admission to the two new schools. Yes, I would explain the situation but not make it sounds like an excuse. Something to the effect of I only previously applied to two schools late in the cycle, this time I have learned to cast a wider net and apply earlier. When two new schools opened, I saw an opportunity to start my medical career sooner. Something like that - just tell the truth and if it comes up in interview you'll have another chance to explain.

Oh okay, I understand. Last cycle (2018) you only applied for admission to the two new schools. Yes, I would explain the situation but not make it sounds like an excuse. Something to the effect of I only previously applied to two schools late in the cycle, this time I have learned to cast a wider net and apply earlier. When two new schools opened, I saw an opportunity to start my medical career sooner. Something like that - just tell the truth and if it comes up in interview you'll have another chance to explain.
Thanks! I will definitely do this!