2017-2018 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was just wondering if there were an accepted student day here like other schools do, anyone knows?

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile
I visited there last weekend with my Fiance to show her around the area (originally from Illinois). I was accepted in November. My Fiance and I went on another tour of the school and apartments with Amanda Evenson. Amanda told us that there will be a day in March where all accepted students, as well as families, are able to come meet each other and hang out for a weekend. She said that an email with RSVP and other information will be sent out in the next few weeks. Sounds like fun!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I visited there last weekend with my Fiance to show her around the area (originally from Illinois). I was accepted in November. My Fiance and I went on another tour of the school and apartments with Amanda Evenson. Amanda told us that there will be a day in March where all accepted students, as well as families, are able to come meet each other and hang out for a weekend. She said that an email with RSVP and other information will be sent out in the next few weeks. Sounds like fun!
Nice, Thanks for that information.
Congrats on your acceptance! How did you like the school, and how did it compare with the other schools that I assumed you interviewed at? Also how are the apartments for medical students?
Any information/insight (especially about the school) will be greatly appreciated.

Just withdrew my acceptance. A very hard decision as the school sounds very promising! Best of luck to you all!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there has been a decent amount of waitlist movement yet?

Given SDN is a small sample, but we've had more than a few accepted off the waitlist
Really hope there is a lot more movement in the next few weeks! I have been on the waitlist since November and this school is by far my number 1 choice

Really hope there is a lot more movement in the next few weeks! I have been on the waitlist since November and this school is by far my number 1 choice
Honestly my best advice(yes , I know) is to not worry too much about it, you can't make them accept you, and to quote the oh so wise Goro, if you don't have an acceptance yet, always be looking for ways to improve your app. I didn't see your stats anywhere so I can't comment too much there.

By his post in X vs Y I think he's deciding between ATSU SOMA and Touro NY
I don't know about any other students that have been accepted here and elsewhere, but recently I have also been accepted to ATSU-KCOM. When I got my acceptance at ATSU-KCOM, I had already paid my deposit here. These are my only 2 acceptances, but though ATSU-KCOM is a more established school, I still feel ARCOM would be a better fit for me. I haven't taken any decision on my acceptance at ATSU-KCOM yet, but I feel like I might end up going to ARCOM. Am I making a mistake here? I mean I really really like it at ARCOM and feel like it would the best environment for me to learn in. Any input on this anyone?

Last edited:
I don't know about any other students that have been accepted here and elsewhere, but recently I have also been accepted to ATSU-KCOM. When I got my acceptance at ATSU-KCOM, I had already paid my deposit here. These are my only 2 acceptances, but though ATSU-KCOM is a more established school, I still feel ARCOM would be a better fit for me. I haven't taken any decision on my acceptance at ATSU-KCOM yet, but I feel like I might end up going to ARCOM. Am I making a mistake here? I mean I really really like it at ARCOM and feel like it would the best environment for me to learn in. Any input on this anyone?

No one can make that decision but you, but there's factors that lowered this school on my list, they might not affect you as they do me. But as you said, KCOM is a very much more established school.

No one can make that decision but you, but there's factors that lowered this school on my list, they might not affect you as they do me. But as you said, KCOM is a very much more established school.
Can you PM me on what factors lowered ARCOM on your list besides being a new school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have an answer to this question?
I submitted my secondary and then the next day I received an II. However this was at the end of August, so things can be more busy now.

Thanks for your help! Starting to get nervous, It's been 7 days since I received my secondary confirmation email (I submitted earlier than 7 days but never received a confirmation email until I gave them a call) and I heard they have a pretty quick turnover rate.. hopefully will hear something this week.

Thanks for your help! Starting to get nervous, It's been 7 days since I received my secondary confirmation email (I submitted earlier than 7 days but never received a confirmation email until I gave them a call) and I heard they have a pretty quick turnover rate.. hopefully will hear something this week.
I mean things are different for everyone. It took them months to send me an II ! Just keep faith alive

I also just got an II. I have an acceptance from BCOM. They are equally new in term of established medical school. Any students can provide some insights?

I also just got an II. I have an acceptance from BCOM. They are equally new in term of established medical school. Any students can provide some insights?
You can get federal loans here

One big difference is that you can get federal loans (lower interest rates) at ARCOM. I don't know how the curriculum here is compared to BCOM, but I can tell you I really like their helical curriculum which goes hand and hand with my style of learning. The community support is incredible here as well. So many people in the area are willing to go over the limit for the success of the students. One more thing I really liked is "the resident" which are apartments they built for the students right next to the school, so you might not even need a car. At one reasonable price you get everything including wifi internet, cable TV with DVR, water, electricity, washer and dryer in each unit. Other than that, I'd say it's pretty peaceful and quiet place offering a nice environment to learn in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just received an II as well. I don't think its for the wait list but I'm not sure.
Nice, what dates are available? I think some people might be turning down their II spots because they already have acceptances in some of their preferred schools, and the rather steep deposit isn't the best. Congrats man, when are u going?

Nice, what dates are available? I think some people might be turning down their II spots because they already have acceptances in some of their preferred schools, and the rather steep deposit isn't the best. Congrats man, when are u going?

I will be going Feb 20th. Here are the dates provided: February 6, February 9, February 13, February 16, February 20, February 23.
Wish I could go earlier... have another interview at the beginning of Feb and then grad school finals ):

I will be going Feb 20th. Here are the dates provided: February 6, February 9, February 13, February 16, February 20, February 23.
Wish I could go earlier... have another interview at the beginning of Feb and then grad school finals ):
Look at you with ALL the interviews! Go head man, I have my interview on the 2nd, feel free to contact me after!
Good Luck

Hey is there a page where I can review commonly asked questions and things like that for this school. I saw one for another school on here with school rating common questions and general comments from applicants but forgot where it was

Hey is there a page where I can review commonly asked questions and things like that for this school. I saw one for another school on here with school rating common questions and general comments from applicants but forgot where it was
Do you mean the interview feedback page? I don't think there is one for ARCOM yet because it's just their second admission cycle, but if you want to check, you can still google SDN interview feedback. It should be one of the first links there.

Last edited:
Anybody know how long it takes from when you email them the date for the II to them emailing you back cause I may be neurotic but I sent it early this morning and haven’t heard back when for other schools it was in a few hours

Anybody know how long it takes from when you email them the date for the II to them emailing you back cause I may be neurotic but I sent it early this morning and haven’t heard back when for other schools it was in a few hours
Call them. I called them and received on within minutes after the call.

Nice, Thanks for that information.
Congrats on your acceptance! How did you like the school, and how did it compare with the other schools that I assumed you interviewed at? Also, how are the apartments for medical students?
Any information/insight (especially about the school) will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks! I really enjoyed the school. Out of my 3 interviews, ARCOM seemed the most excited about me being there. Although the school is brand new, it does not feel like it is behind the times compared to other schools. I like being a part of new things and with ARCOM I know I will be apart of a lot of new things. The whole area is about to undergo a bunch of development. More apartments, townhouses, restaurants, grocery stores. The apartments for incoming students will be brand new. They are being built right now.

If you have an upcoming interview just make sure that you show them your passion for medicine and giving back to people. Amanda Evenson said there is still a good amount of waitlist movement. SDN is not really a good sample size. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Got my II on 1/17 and my interview is on 1/30 after reading the entire thread I feel like I’m late in the game

Got my II on 1/17 and my interview is on 1/30 after reading the entire thread I feel like I’m late in the game
stay positive! They wouldn't have invited you to an interview if they didn't see potential! Even if you're waitlisted, there has been rumors of a lot of wait list movement!

I’m also interviewing on the 30th. Flights are so expensive:eek:

I’m also interviewing on the 30th. Flights are so expensive:eek:
You could still fly to Kansas City and drive 4 hours there if that makes a difference and don't mind driving. I'm not sure, but I think KC's flight might be cheaper.

You could still fly to Kansas City and drive 4 hours there if that makes a difference and don't mind driving. I'm not sure, but I think KC's flight might be cheaper.

Try XNA,Tulsa, OKC, all closer than KC

hey all. does anyone know if there's some sort of ranking/priority system on the WL? and if being WL-ed early means you'll hear back if you've been pulled out of it or not from it sooner?

hey all. does anyone know if there's some sort of ranking/priority system on the WL? and if being WL-ed early means you'll hear back if you've been pulled out of it or not from it sooner?

I was accepted the day after I got the waitlist letter in the mail. They said at the interview the waitlist is ranked, but they won't tell you where you are ranked because it will change from week to week as more folks are added to the list or are accepted.

I was accepted the day after I got the waitlist letter in the mail. They said at the interview the waitlist is ranked, but they won't tell you where you are ranked because it will change from week to week as more folks are added to the list or are accepted.

got it. thanks so much! would it be pushy of me to call to ask when do they pull people off the WL and how often?

Last edited:
I doubt they would bump you lower on the list for asking or anything like that

This is a copy of the email I got when I asked about the waitlist and how it works. I was waitlisted back in early November

“We have already started pulling from our waitlist and will continue--we USE our waitlist. Unfortunately it's not a ranked list (ranking would change every week) or first-on-first-off so I can't say for sure. However, being from our service area helps! When a spot becomes available we pull off the most competitive application at that time.”

Hope that helps! Let me know if you hear anything else though!

Reactions: 2 users

Huh, I recieved an II the day before you but was also offered Jan 23 and 30. I ended up choosing Feb 9 though as it's too difficult for me to take off a Tuesday.

Has anyone heard back from ARCOM after they interviewed on 1/12?

Does anybody know if this school will let you know right away if you’ve been rejected from receiving a secondary? Or will they let you know in the end once the application cycle ends?

Does anybody know if this school will let you know right away if you’ve been rejected from receiving a secondary? Or will they let you know in the end once the application cycle ends?
I didn't have the new MCAT yet and they sent one saying no secondary back in July. Once I got the new MCAT i got one the next day

This may be dumb question but anyone get rejected after the interview? I am just wondering if receiving an II means an acceptance or a WL position..