2017-2018 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just declined my acceptance here due to being accepted to a school that I felt was a better fit for me. Hoping it goes to someone who is really looking forward to going here!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just declined my acceptance here due to being accepted to a school that I felt was a better fit for me. Hoping it goes to someone who is really looking forward to going here!
when did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
More or less 20 since I didn't end up doing secondaries for like 4 of them, haha!

I interviewed at KCU Joplin/ARCOM/NYITCOM..

Personally for me I'd rank them KCU > ARCOM > NYIT-ASU

The availability of rotation sites near Little Rock was a huge plus to me for this school. Things I didn't care for, dress code for lectures/mandatory attendance. The school itself they obviously put a TON of money into.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
They were very original and friendly. They really impressed me for a new school, and I think they might be able to do very well the way they're going. I sense that everyone there including the community is investing so much for the success of this school that it will be kind of impossible not to succeed.

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

I interviewed at KCU Joplin/ARCOM/NYITCOM..

Personally for me I'd rank them KCU > ARCOM > NYIT-ASU

The availability of rotation sites near Little Rock was a huge plus to me for this school. Things I didn't care for, dress code for lectures/mandatory attendance. The school itself they obviously put a TON of money into.

Would you say that as an Arkansan who wants to stay and practice in Arkansas, that ARCOM and KCU are close enough that canceling my KCU interview would be fine? Unless they completely blow me out of the water, I don’t think they would stand up against all 3 Arkansas schools tbh.

Would you say that as an Arkansan who wants to stay and practice in Arkansas, that ARCOM and KCU are close enough that canceling my KCU interview would be fine? Unless they completely blow me out of the water, I don’t think they would stand up against all 3 Arkansas schools tbh.
I'm from Arkansas as well and I absolutely loved KCU especially the Joplin campus. They have the proven board scores. I think most of us are here because we can't get into UAMS so you really can't compare to that one. I would go to the KCU interview...it's not that far as you would have to fly for it

I'm from Arkansas as well and I absolutely loved KCU especially the Joplin campus. They have the proven board scores. I think most of us are here because we can't get into UAMS so you really can't compare to that one. I would go to the KCU interview...it's not that far as you would have to fly for it

I guess I’m not usually thinking of this from the perspective of not being able to get into UAMS, since that isnt necessarily my situation. I like the idea of the helical curriculum a lot, and I like the D.O. Philosophy, want to learn OMM, and didn’t really feel “it” at UAMS. Maybe it is dumb to pick any DO school over any MD school, but that’s kind of how I’m leaning. I don’t want to see any school as a “last resort.”

I guess I’m not usually thinking of this from the perspective of not being able to get into UAMS, since that isnt necessarily my situation. I like the idea of the helical curriculum a lot, and I like the D.O. Philosophy, want to learn OMM, and didn’t really feel “it” at UAMS. Maybe it is dumb to pick any DO school over any MD school, but that’s kind of how I’m leaning. I don’t want to see any school as a “last resort.”
You haven't posted your stats so I assumed :p I love the way UAMS does the group based curriculum.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't agree with you more. I wanted the DO behind my name more than the MD. I'm from Arkansas, and yes UAMS has a big name around here, but during my interview they were very cocky and arrogant. The DO schools I interviewed at were friendly and it felt like being home in a small town.

You haven't posted your stats so I assumed I love the way UAMS does the group based curriculum.
Lectures at ARCOM have group based case studies also. ARCOM just integrates them into their regular course work verses UAMS who makes it it's own class.

There's other reasons I would prefer UAMS. I own a home close to little rock...it's cheaper... etc. I have a high MCAT and lower GPA which is why I applied to DO schools as well. For whatever reason I was rejected buy both DO schools in AR. So barring some miracle from UAMS I'll be attending KCU Joplin.

I’m with you. I’d feel like I’d be settling if I went MD rather than DO. ARCOM is it for me. I’m a local and want to stay in this community, not having to move my family or home is a huge plus.

I can't agree with you more. I wanted the DO behind my name more than the MD. I'm from Arkansas, and yes UAMS has a big name around here, but during my interview they were very cocky and arrogant. The DO schools I interviewed at were friendly and it felt like being home in a small town.

Sent from my [device_name] using

I know how you feel when you say they were cocky and arrogant. I think to maybe put it better, it seemed like the mindset at MD programs is that they are giving you the privilege of coming to them to beg for a spot. At ARCOM specifically, there wasn’t as much bull. They were very open about the application process. They know we are going to other schools for interviews. They seemed to be willing to meet in the middle. I felt like I was interviewing them just as much as they were interviewing me. Both parties are trying to sell themselves to the other. I really respected that attitude a lot.

Reactions: 2 users
I know how you feel when you say they were cocky and arrogant. I think to maybe put it better, it seemed like the mindset at MD programs is that they are giving you the privilege of coming to them to beg for a spot. At ARCOM specifically, there wasn’t as much bull. They were very open about the application process. They know we are going to other schools for interviews. They seemed to be willing to meet in the middle. I felt like I was interviewing them just as much as they were interviewing me. Both parties are trying to sell themselves to the other. I really respected that attitude a lot.
I will agree with the part that they were very open there, the president at the end especially.

It wasn't my first time applying to UAMS and one of the admissions people remembered me. :( My interviews there have never felt that way though.

Interviewed 12/15 (It was great meeting fellow interviewees!). Hopefully will hear good news after the review committee meets!

Anyone know if the admissions team has already went away for Christmas break? Or are they still meeting together on campus?

Anyone know if the admissions team has already went away for Christmas break? Or are they still meeting together on campus?
The school is on break from December 21st through January 3rd. The committee meets on Fridays and acceptances are given out the following week. So if you dont hear back before Wednesday this week you will have to wait until January.

Interviewed on 11/10 and was wait-listed, just got a call saying I was in! If you're in a similar situation, keep your heads high friends. Things have a way of working out
Just wondering how long ago did you received the call? I'm also waitlisted there interviewed on 11/14.

Interviewed on 11/10 and was wait-listed, just got a call saying I was in! If you're in a similar situation, keep your heads high friends. Things have a way of working out

Congradulations!
What were your stats if you dont mind me asking

Wow congratulations!!! I was waitlisted back in late October, so you jumped me there, but hopefully I'll be getting a call sooner or later!!!

Interviewed 12/8, acceptance call tonight!!

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an II for this school interviewing on 12/30 , which I am super excited for. I understand that not being from Arkansas and not having any significant ties to Arkansas puts me in a disadvantage. I would absolutely attend here if I got in. Any advice from those that got into this program from out of state on how to approach how you are willing to commit yourself to improving the community in Arkansas?

Thanks!

Just got an II for this school interviewing on 12/30 , which I am super excited for. I understand that not being from Arkansas and not having any significant ties to Arkansas puts me in a disadvantage. I would absolutely attend here if I got in. Any advice from those that got into this program from out of state on how to approach how you are willing to commit yourself to improving the community in Arkansas?

Thanks!
Congrats! Do you mind sharing your complete date?

Thanks!

They state during the presentation that their mission is serving the under served..not just in Arkansas. There is a community member in the interview though. Don't worry too much about the whole staying in Arkansas. You did the hard part by getting an II

They were very original and friendly. They really impressed me for a new school, and I think they might be able to do very well the way they're going. I sense that everyone there including the community is investing so much for the success of this school that it will be kind of impossible not to succeed.

I’m a current student here and I absolutely second this. The faculty and staff here (from the dean to the sanitation staff) are all incredible, and they’ve been that way since day 1. I think they bring a lot of experience from other places and we have incredible community support as well. Just my two cents in case you were on the fence about this school!

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone who interviewed on 12/12 or 12/15 heard back from admissions yet?

Folks! I am going to be a Doctor. Just got the call, I was waitlisted, and now they say they want me to come to ARCOM. Man! The first acceptance feels so good after being waitlisted twice and rejected once.

Reactions: 14 users
I interviewed on 12/15 and just got the call that I've been accepted! Good luck to everyone!

Folks! I am going to be a Doctor. Just got the call, I was waitlisted, and now they say they want me to come to ARCOM. Man! The first acceptance feels so good after being waitlisted twice and rejected once.

I know the feeling...two rejection this year then an acceptance. Makes it all worth it!

I said to keep your head high, Congrats man! :) Hope to meet you during orientation

Hello. Congrats for your acceptance. I am also waitlisted in this program and am nervously waiting to hear something from the school as I loved the school and faculty. Do you think I stand a chance still? Also would you mind sharing your stats with me through PM

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello. Congrats for your acceptance. I am also waitlisted in this program and am nervously waiting to hear something from the school as I loved the school and faculty. Do you think I stand a chance still? Also would you mind sharing your stats with me through PM

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
If you were waitlisted I would be hopeful, they are already accepting people off of it. That being said if you have other interviews keep going!

Yea, I hope so too. I really love this school.

Sent from my [device_name] using
It’s good to see a another person from our interview group get accepted. I knew we had the best one ;P

We already have a Facebook page "arcom class of 2022." Just request to join

Can someone help explain to me the future course of action following acceptance? I received my acceptance phone call recently and would like to know what come next.