2017-2018 Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know this sounds mellow dramatic but I feel like getting accepted is one if not the best things that has ever happened to me. With the merge, these programs are going to continue to get more and more competitive. I could see CUSOM rising the ranks as one of the top DO schools in the country.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure if any 3rd/4th years are lurking in here, but I was recently going through last year's application thread and saw some pretty big concerns pop up about 3rd/4th year. There was a pretty big back-and-forth about it, including a meeting between the dean and students about it. I'm wondering what, if anything, has changed this year to stem some of those concerns. If you don't feel comfortable leaving a message on here, please feel free to PM me. I really liked the school on interview day, and I'm trying to decide if CUSOM is the right fit for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if any 3rd/4th years are lurking in here, but I was recently going through last year's application thread and saw some pretty big concerns pop up about 3rd/4th year. There was a pretty big back-and-forth about it, including a meeting between the dean and students about it. I'm wondering what, if anything, has changed this year to stem some of those concerns. If you don't feel comfortable leaving a message on here, please feel free to PM me. I really liked the school on interview day, and I'm trying to decide if CUSOM is the right fit for me.

Do you mind elaborating on what the concerns were? This is something I would like to know too.

Do you mind elaborating on what the concerns were? This is something I would like to know too.
You'll have to go back to the thread and read through the last 25% or the thread to get the context, along with rebuttals, etc.

Basically a few people who claimed to be preceptors (this was eventually disputed) were going back and forth about things they saw were lacking regarding CUSOM. Most of it seemed to center around administration: high rate of turnover, unhappiness with the relationship between administration and rotation sites, lack of allotted time for traveling to residency interviews. Things like that.

I'm trying to find out if these complaints were valid, and if they were, are there any plans to address them.

Also very interested about the answer to these questions ^^^.

The Facebook group is CUSOM CLASS OF 2022. Congrats to those recently accepted.

Made the difficult decision to cancel my upcoming interview and withdraw my application. I was really excited about the school and location, but was accepted to a different school that is a little more established and has great affiliations. Congratulations to everyone accepted and good luck to those with interviews!

Reactions: 1 user
Officially accepted my seat! So excited to meet everyone.

Interested to hear more from current students about the pros and cons of the school. I just received a call and am on the fence about interviewing.

Interested to hear more from current students about the pros and cons of the school. I just received a call and am on the fence about interviewing.

+1

Also, can any current students attest to the quality of the curriculum and average board scores?

+1

Also, can any current students attest to the quality of the curriculum and average board scores?
Based on what we were shown on interview day, the board scores were surprisingly good for a newer school. I think the most recent class was in the top 10 of all DO schools for the COMLEX. They never told us their USMLE scores. The two classes before that were quite a bit lower, but not really bad at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
II, scheduled for Oct 30th. Very excited!

For what its worth, for those on the fence about CUSOM, a friend of mine is in charge of the IM residency at Wake Med and indicates that CUSOM physicians are well trained, and professional.

Reactions: 4 users
I just submitted my primary recently, and I got an email at 10:01 PM saying they received my primary and would be reviewing it, and an email at 10:15 PM saying my application was reviewed and they were bringing it to the Pre-Screen Committee. There are seriously people reviewing applications at night?

Not complaining, but that just seems weird. I'm kind of grateful for it, though - I'm not the only one who works at night!

I just submitted my primary recently, and I got an email at 10:01 PM saying they received my primary and would be reviewing it, and an email at 10:15 PM saying my application was reviewed and they were bringing it to the Pre-Screen Committee. There are seriously people reviewing applications at night?

Not complaining, but that just seems weird. I'm kind of grateful for it, though - I'm not the only one who works at night!
I received an email stating that they received my primary, then a day later I received the secondary email.

Rejection post-interview...surprised as I felt very comfortable in all 3 of my interviews. The sting hurts a little less when I received an acceptance about 10 seconds beforehand! congratulations to everyone who got in today, Campbell seems like a fantastic program!!
Rejection Post Interview, Interviews went well

Would either of you have any insight as to what could have gone wrong in your interview? If you’re there, you’re academically qualified and they want you, and I know their post-interview acceptance is pretty high this early on. So I’m just curious what may have happened. I know some interviews can be tough and ask the hard, cliché, “why do you deserve this spot.” Any thing like that for either of you?

Accepted as well. I also interviewed on 09/25. Such a weight off my shoulders!

Would either of you have any insight as to what could have gone wrong in your interview? If you’re there, you’re academically qualified and they want you, and I know their post-interview acceptance is pretty high this early on. So I’m just curious what may have happened. I know some interviews can be tough and ask the hard, cliché, “why do you deserve this spot.” Any thing like that for either of you?

Truthfully, I'm not positive as I felt very good after all of my interviews. There were no questions that I felt like could have swayed my decision one way or another. I have some ideas as to what happened, but I am not going to say anything since I am not 100% sure. In reality, my interviewers may have deemed that I was not a good fit for the program, and it could have been as simple as that!

TBH I am not exactly sure. My interviews went really well and I was pretty sure I would get an acceptance after my interview. They said in their email I should do a Post Bac to improve my GPA to make myself more competitive. I am kind of miffed because if they thought that why did they invite me to interview then? I really liked the school and everyone was super nice so I am a bit bummed haha. Hope this helps you!

Does anyone know what the board prep is like for CUSOM? I read on the thread last year that they do some sort of course? I don't remember them talking about this interview day.

Hey guys, OMS1 here! We just survived Block 1 so I suspect there might be a couple of us hanging around to answer some questions. Being where you guys are is probably one of the worst periods in pursuing medicine lol. I'm still not terribly familiar with the specifics of what happens in the later years like board prep (most of us are just trying to take things one step at a time) but feel free to PM with personal concerns or just some general QoL questions on here.

Interview in the AM....currently relaxing in the hotel :) Any last tips of advice for the interview tomorrow??

Can someone give me some info on how the interview process is, best place to stay, which airport to come through? General advice would be appreciated as well as specifics.

My understanding is that it's 3 1on1 intverviews, stay at the Microtel hotel, come in from Raleigh?

Thank you.

Can someone give me some info on how the interview process is, best place to stay, which airport to come through? General advice would be appreciated as well as specifics.

My understanding is that it's 3 1on1 intverviews, stay at the Microtel hotel, come in from Raleigh?

Thank you.

I stayed at the fairfield inn in Dunn. It was about 15 minutes from the school. You should fly into RDU. The interview day begins with three one on one interviews followed by a tour, lunch, and then another tour, and a financial aid presentation. The interviews are open file. I felt like most of my interviewers knew my file really well. Everyone was super friendly. It was not a stressful interview day at all.

Interview in the AM....currently relaxing in the hotel :) Any last tips of advice for the interview tomorrow??

Be professional, but genuine and humble. Know why you want to be "here" at CUSOM. Be prepared for them to throw a wrench in your plan lol. The only way to get around it is to loop back around to being yourself. I've never felt so "in-touch" with the rest of my peers. Admissions tries to set up that kind of chemistry (no pun intended). Prove to them you can be part of the Class of 2022!

Reactions: 1 users
I stayed at the fairfield inn in Dunn. It was about 15 minutes from the school. You should fly into RDU. The interview day begins with three one on one interviews followed by a tour, lunch, and then another tour, and a financial aid presentation. The interviews are open file. I felt like most of my interviewers knew my file really well. Everyone was super friendly. It was not a stressful interview day at all.

Awesome, thank you very much for the information. Was each interview 30 mins?

Are exams weekly? Or are they grouped after a few weeks?

Regarding some of the concerns from last year, the "10 total absences for interviews" rule was removed. There is still a rule of no more than 4 days per month for interviews. We get some online options for months that give students the ability to have a lot more schedule freedom.

Regarding some of the concerns from last year, the "10 total absences for interviews" rule was removed. There is still a rule of no more than 4 days per month for interviews. We get some online options for months that give students the ability to have a lot more schedule freedom.
I don't know enough to be able to comment on how this compares to the way other institutions handle it, but just from my gut reaction, that doesn't seem like a very good rule. Assuming only 1 travel day per interview (which, depending on interview location may or may not be feasible), you can have a max of 2 interviews per month? Again, maybe its a common rule at other schools, but at first glance, it just seems weird to limit the number of interviews a student could potentially have, and thus the number of ranked programs.

If I submitted my secondaryn last Monday and still haven't received a complete email, should I be concerned?

Where is everyone sending their thank you emails? I got the business cards of the three people that interviewed me, but I'm not sure if it would be better to just send one email to the admissions office instead of the three individual emails. The director of admissions made a comment that once your interviewers submit their scores of you, they have no other input on the decision (and they're submitting their scores by tomorrow I believe). So perhaps it would be better to just send the one email? I don't want that to seem not personal though.

Are exams weekly? Or are they grouped after a few weeks?

exams are not weekly. there is a quiz every friday that covers the weeks worth of material, including up to the thursday prior. exams are every 2 or 3 weeks depending on the block schedule.

as far as residency interviews go, from my understanding they have been working on scheduling to allow a lot more time for students to go to those interviews. I can't remember how exactly as I'm only an ms1, but they did mention it to us.

we are the fifth class for the school, and they are still very open to feedback and smoothing out any wrinkles. I know of two things off of the top of my head that we are the first class they are trying it with and it is because of upperclassmen feedback. They do listen.

If I submitted my secondaryn last Monday and still haven't received a complete email, should I be concerned?
Nope.... Wait for 2 more weeks and give them a call if you haven't heard anything. They are really nice people. FYI: Facebook group is CUSOM CLASS OF 2022

Withdrawing my acceptance here. This is a great school and I am thankful for the opportunity. Got a few more acceptances closer to home.

So just to be completely clear. I have to pay the 1500 and do the criminal background check and drug screen before Nov 15th. Is there anything else I need to do? Like officially tell them I am accepting, etc?

So just to be completely clear. I have to pay the 1500 and do the criminal background check and drug screen before Nov 15th. Is there anything else I need to do? Like officially tell them I am accepting, etc?

Just accept the offer of acceptance I believe. You don't have to have the CPR or immunizations done at that time.

Just accept the offer of acceptance I believe. You don't have to have the CPR or immunizations done at that time.

edit (from the acceptance email):

As part of matriculation you must also complete the following by November 15, 2017:

• Complete your CastleBranch Criminal Background Check
  • Complete the CastleBranch Drug Screen 10 Panel Submission (lab visit required)
  • Signed Offer of Admission to the Class of 2022
  • Signed acknowledgement of the Technical Standards
  • Signed acknowledgement of the Academic Bulletin

Is the $1500 the only deposit we have to make? Can't remember from my interview. I sure hope so lol

Is the $1500 the only deposit we have to make? Can't remember from my interview. I sure hope so lol
1500 deposit and the drug screen and background check for 86