2017-2018 Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope one of you gets my interview spot! JUst respectfully declined II. The date I signed up for was 10/17. So if anyone of you wants that date, go ahead and e-mail the admissions office.

Members don't see this ad.

When offered an interview, do you select date over phone or on a portal? Are you given multiple dates to choose from?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone that interviewed recently remember the board scores/pass rate for CUSOM? I was curious about both COMLEX and USMLE, but it has been a while since my interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone that interviewed recently remember the board scores/pass rate for CUSOM? I was curious about both COMLEX and USMLE, but it has been a while since my interview.
I don't remember them mentioning the USMLE, aside from the fact that the dean kept insisting that we don't need to worry about it (I disagree but whatever). The COMLEX scores/pass rates were significantly higher for the most recent class than the previous years. I want to say 99-100% pass rate, and their scores put them in the top 5-6 of all DO programs

Reactions: 1 users
I don't remember them mentioning the USMLE, aside from the fact that the dean kept insisting that we don't need to worry about it (I disagree but whatever). The COMLEX scores/pass rates were significantly higher for the most recent class than the previous years. I want to say 99-100% pass rate, and their scores put them in the top 5-6 of all DO programs

That makes me feel a lot better about the dilemma of mandatory attendance during board studying time.

Thanks for the stats! I could not quite remember what they had said when I interviewed. I remember them saying that CUSOM was like ranked 11th out of all DO schools, but they must have updated it. Did they say which class it was for? Maybe they meant the overall first class was ranked 11th (I think they have only graduated one class). I am just confused by all of the numbers out there. But in any case, that is very good for such a new school.

Thanks for the stats! I could not quite remember what they had said when I interviewed. I remember them saying that CUSOM was like ranked 11th out of all DO schools, but they must have updated it. Did they say which class it was for? Maybe they meant the overall first class was ranked 11th (I think they have only graduated one class). I am just confused by all of the numbers out there. But in any case, that is very good for such a new school.

I had my interview this past week. They are 11 for their board scores, at least for step one. They were seventh in something but I can't remember what it was.

I do remember them saying that 36% of test takers scored above 600 this past test cycle.

It was for the current 3rd year students. Their scores were a huge jump in both average score and pass rate.

I think they were 7th in COMLEX Level 1, and 11th in USLME? But it was a few weeks ago so I'm a bit fuzzy. I remember it was impressive though

Thanks guys! In any case that is very good for such a new school. It seems like they are comparable to CCOM in that regard.

I just received an offer of an interview here but have already scheduled 6 interviews with an admission already. Would it be worth to still attend this interview with limited finances?

I just received an offer of an interview here but have already scheduled 6 interviews with an admission already. Would it be worth to still attend this interview with limited finances?
It seems like you have an answer to your question. I personally wouldn't attend more than 2 interviews if I have already been accepted in my top choice. FYI: CUSOM is a great school, although it's relatively new.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think its funny I got a free shirt from CUSOM a few days before my ECU interview. Nice touch CUSOM:):)

It seems like you have an answer to your question. I personally wouldn't attend more than 2 interviews if I have already been accepted in my top choice. FYI: CUSOM is a great school, although it's relatively new.

Excellent point, I had already purchased non refundable flights for a few more interviews before receiving the acceptance. I see lots of positive things about the school here, but I think I am leaning towards respectfully declining the invite as that money could go towards a deposit.

I have a question for any current CUSOM student who received the Presidential Scholarship...has it been difficult for you to maintain the 3.5 GPA that is required to keep the scholarship??

Am I too late to submit a secondary to this school? MCAT-511 cGPA-3.71 sGPA-3.65

Am I too late to submit a secondary to this school? MCAT-511 cGPA-3.71 sGPA-3.65
If you're still interested then definitely apply! I have similar stats as you, submitted my secondary about two weeks ago and received an II last week for end of October. I was very impressed by the quick turn around.

Cancelled my interview for 10/17. Best of luck to you all!

Does anyone know why they require a 30-day deposit? I thought that was just for brand new schools with no graduating class.

Nah pretty much all the osteopathic schools have a deposit system. It helps them have a better estimate of the class. Campbell is just slightly off the general traffic guidelines.
  • Those accepted prior to October 15 will have until November 15
  • Those accepted between October 15 and January 14 will have 30 days
  • Those accepted between January 15 and May 14 will have 14 days
  • Those accepted after May 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit

I'm interviewing here Monday! Can current students speak to how rotation sites are assigned--lottery system?? Also, how many hours are you in class per week and does this greatly affect outside study time? Are students permitted to wear headphones/ear plugs during class time and study at their own pace as opposed to listening to the lecturer? I know that sounds rude but I don't learn well by listening to someone talk for hours on end.

I'm interviewing here Monday! Can current students speak to how rotation sites are assigned--lottery system?? Also, how many hours are you in class per week and does this greatly affect outside study time? Are students permitted to wear headphones/ear plugs during class time and study at their own pace as opposed to listening to the lecturer? I know that sounds rude but I don't learn well by listening to someone talk for hours on end.

I'm a third year student here - everybody ranks the sites in order of preference. CUSOM tries to get everybody their top first or second choice, but that's obviously not always possible. I got my second choice and I'm really happy at my rotation site!
Class is 8-12 M-F with labs in the afternoon that are usually 2 hours. First year you'll have 3-4 labs/week, second year it's more like 2 labs/week since there's no anatomy. I'm not sure about the headphones/ear plugs rule as that's changed multiple times, so maybe a first or second year could comment on that!

I love CUSOM and I'm so happy I got in and get to experience my medical education here!! Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

you can wear ear plugs if you want....i suppose you can wear full blown head phones during lecture but imo, it is a little disrespectful to be that outward in expressing you aren't listening. Most people that study during lecture seem to use ear buds.

Anyone know if scholarships are something you apply for or are selectively contacted about/given?

Giving up my seat here, hope it goes to one of yall! It's a wonderful school

Anyone know if scholarships are something you apply for or are selectively contacted about/given?
If you are selected, you'll receive an email with directions. Pretty easy essay. Don't mind sharing, but it seems like it's different for each candidate.

They call you after a bit if you are accepted. I got one but may give up my seat/scholarship.

Will be withdrawing my acceptance here. I hope it goes to one of you fine folks!!

Why is that? If you don't mind my asking.
I was also just accepted to VCOM-A, which is like 20 minutes from where I live compared to 7 hours away. Both facilities are about the same, but VCOM has the Auburn affiliation which I feel will benefit with research opportunities and all. The schools seem similar academically, but the convenience factor is different for me personally. I'm still deciding whether the scholarship is more important than that though.

I was also just accepted to VCOM-A, which is like 20 minutes from where I live compared to 7 hours away. Both facilities are about the same, but VCOM has the Auburn affiliation which I feel will benefit with research opportunities and all. The schools seem similar academically, but the convenience factor is different for me personally. I'm still deciding whether the scholarship is more important than that though.
There is no place like home brother. I live 20 min from CUSOM, I didn't bother attending my interview at Brody because I wasn't willing to drive 1h30 one way each day! We wish you well wherever you go. Remember the most important is to have a good training as a physician; it doesn't matter whether it's a CUSOM, VCOM or the moon. Just enjoy the next few years, learn the most and serve your patients and the community. If you decide to come to CUSOM, you know you'll always be bienvenue. God bless you young man!

Anyone hear from the school recently? Last acceptances were sent out on 09/29 according to this thread.

Last edited:
I interviewed yesterday and they said the latest we may be notified is November 15th.

I interviewed yesterday and they said the latest we may be notified is November 15th.

Gotcha. I interviewed a few weeks ago and they said that we wouldn't hear earlier than October 16th.

^But it's the 18th and now I am clinging to my phone hoping to hear.

Does anyone know how many people they bring in to interview on each day? I was just curious.

Does anyone know how many people they bring in to interview on each day? I was just curious.
It depends, my group was 24 because they bumped a group because of the hurricane. They said it should normally be about 16 though. The interview day is very nice! The area is disappointing but they do a GREAT job of selling their program!

Hey everyone I had some questions about the residency slots that Campbell has. They explained it during the interview day but I was kinda confused (and tired from the six flights I had in a span of 3 days haha). My understanding was that Campbell has its own residency slots reserved specifically for their students that they can fall back on if they do not get matched elsewhere? Or choose up front, of course. Was this in multiple specialties or only Internal/FM/Peds? And can anyone speak to the quality of these residencies?

They made it sound like they had hundreds of residency slots, enough for every student to potentially match in one of the Campbell-specific residencies. I just wanted to make sure I had a clear understanding of what they were talking about.

II just now! Can anyone comment on the turn around time for knowing if you are accepted post-interview? Thanks in advance!! I'm really excited!!

I'm currently in Joplin for my KCU interview and just got an II from them. I'm gonna poor as **** if I end up attending the interview...

People who interviewed, can you provide some info about the school. How the facilities were, students, area it was in, their match results, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
II just now! Can anyone comment on the turn around time for knowing if you are accepted post-interview? Thanks in advance!! I'm really excited!!
It was about 2 weeks for me

II today, complete September 13. The earliest interview date is November 6th.