Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

2017-2018 Creighton University

Discussion in '2017-2018 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by Lucca, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Rockdem

Pre-Medical
    Accepted via email this morning!!!

CAFFEINE!, McNerdy and Hasniii like this.
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hasniii

Pre-Medical
    Congrats. When did you interview

4. McNerdy

McNerdy Somehow got into an awesome Midwestern Med school.

Medical Student
    Residency Match | School of Medicine | Creighton University

Seems like your link was broken but you can give this link a go.
    We had 97% of our M4s get their first choice of specialty. (I was told this was above average). Many of the M4's I spoke to not only get their specialty of choice but many received one of their top programs of choice.

Just thought I'd share, hopefully it adds to your knowledge about our school and what we can do!

Rockdem and RTD like this.
  5. RTD

RTD

Pre-Medical
    Can you share your experiences with step prep. Are the tests NBME exams and how much dedicated time do we get?

6. McNerdy

Medical Student
    So as an M1 I'm not going to be the greatest at detailing this answer for you, but I can give you a general idea of what we've been told so far and about our recent curriculum changes.

So first part, Are tests NBME exam? Our curriculum is systems based starting with Neuroscience in March of M1 year. I know for a fact that our Neuroscience final will be a NBME exam and that NBME exams will be taken with certain systems in place of a final. With this being said, I cannot yet speak to the extent to which NBME exams are taken or for what specific systems they will be implemented into.

With this being said, the admin is trying to take steps in our curriculum changes to improve our step 1 performance. We are currently trying out an incorporation of the firecracker application into the curriculum. This is brand new as of the month of March 2018. If the pilot goes well you can expect the use of firecracker to be incorporated into every course with quizzes being sourced from firecracker information. In theory, Firecracker is designed according to step/nbme resources and reports to increase step performance so it may be really cool having it fully integrated into our curriculum and constantly being shown NBME styled questions in addition to teacher designed questions.

We do have a counselling session of sorts during M2 during which you meet 1 on 1 with someone to discuss life goals, provide feedback as to how to get there, and form a plan of study for step to meet goals. Ex: I want to go into EM, I want a 230+ step score, I will start studying x resources by y date for z many hours per day etc.

As far as dedicated time goes, we really don't get a ton (which blows). My understanding is M2 classes will end at the end of April and most step exams are scheduled for early June. The last 2-3 weeks of the semester are a new course that seems to be pretty light (it's on social determinants of health) so it should help with allowing time to study.

Hopefully, this was somewhat helpful!

Rockdem likes this.
  7. Rockdem

Pre-Medical
    Thank you! March 2nd, and they stayed true to their word from interview day of providing the decision on the 26th. :thumbup:

Hasniii likes this.
  8. koala_js

Pre-Medical
    +1
    Would you mind sharing any news if you're comfortable? That message just disappeared earlier tonight for me

9. Hasniii

Pre-Medical
    same. Could not sleep yesterday night because of that. Looking previous posts and last year posts, this is the sign that they have made the decision and we will be hearing soon. Hoping for good news. Finger crossed.

10. koala_js

Pre-Medical
    Accepted this morning! *LOUD SOBBING*

My portal changed on Thursday night, but I received my decision the following Monday! (as promised by the adcom)

CAFFEINE! and McNerdy like this.
  11. Juice313

Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    I got put on the "alternate list" after my interview with a 505 MCAT. In the email from admissions, they said we could contact admissions pertaining as to why we were put on the alternate list, and I was told flat-out that it was because of my MCAT score. They also said that everything else looked great and that my interviewers spoke highly of me. This was pretty disappointing, as I didn't think MCAT score would be the sole reason for not getting accepted post-interview, but such is life.

12. hobbitdoctor

Quick question-- got accepted on a conditional acceptance (need an advanced science class prior to matriculation). Does this count as a full acceptance in the context of dropping all except one acceptance by April 30th? Can I keep Creighton and one other school?

13. terrapintennisplayer

Pre-Medical
    I think this is still considered an acceptance as part of your 1 school. That's just what I think though

14. Premed2295

Pre-Medical
    I would think it counts. But call Admissions at Creighton to be sure. Phrase it like you are hoping to attend Creighton but want to know if you can/should keep your other as a backup

15. Premed2295

Pre-Medical
    I had the same exact experience, except for me it was my grades being slightly below the average. They told me to submit my grades from my Master's Program, which I did and they were quite high. I am hoping that make the difference because Creighton is my top choice. It was pretty disheartening that my interviewer strongly implied they wanted me to attend and I was told my GPA was good enough to earn an interview, only to be placed on the Alternate List because of it, after what felt like my best interview.
    Heres to hoping we both gain acceptance later.

On that note, does anyone have a clear picture how extensively they are going to be pulling from their weightlist this year. Or how much they have in the past?

Also, does having other acceptances (including one with significant scholarship) help or hurt my chances of eventually gaining admissions?

Juice313 likes this.
  16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. squidwardsquarepants

Hilarious. I haven’t been on SDN for a bit because I was accepted to other schools, but I had literally the exact same experience as you. I got put on the alternate list back in October and called for feedback that same day. The guy straight up said my 505 was iffy to admissions. I proceeded to ask if my interviews went bad and he said they all gave very positive marks. I have a 4.0 and knew it wasn’t my grades. I was pretty confused to say the least since this is a “holistic” review process. Alas, I am going to a great school and will become a doctor elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juice313 and 3toedsloth like this.
  18. section218

Pre-Medical
    Accepted students: do we know when the white coat ceremony is?

19. TommyTsunami2018

Asking for a friend: hypothetically, when would incoming M1s get drug tested?

20. Premed2295

Pre-Medical
    Bless you

CAFFEINE! likes this.
  21. koala_js

Pre-Medical
    August 3rd!

22. koala_js

Pre-Medical
    Just wondering, is there anywhere we can find the curriculum schedule for Creighton? Like when we'll be taking which classes throughout the year? I can only find the general list of classes students will take, not necessarily when we'll be enrolled in each class/how many we'll be enrolled in at one time?

23. Premed2295

Pre-Medical
    today

24. TommyTsunami2018

Perfect!

25. McNerdy

Medical Student
    I'd let your friend know that drug tests may hypothetically be performed during orientation week at the beginning of Fall semester.

26. Écureuil

Écureuil Midwestern M1

Medical Student
    Fall Semester: Anatomy, Molecular Cell Biology, and Ethics & Legal Topics in Medicine (all concurrently, although Ethics finishes a little earlier than the other two)
    January: Host Defense (Immunology) and Introduction to Microbiology
    February: Evidence Based Medicine (Statistics, 1 week), Introduction to Pharmacology (1 week), Behavioral Medicine 1 (Developmental Psych, 2 weeks)
    After Spring Break: Neurology (~8 weeks, the longest block schedule class)

Also, throughout the M1 year you'll also be enrolled in "Introduction to Clinical Skills" which has small group sessions and some clinical skill practice sessions spread out across both semesters, though a little more involved in the fall semester than the spring.

M2 year starts off with Infectious Disease (4 weeks) and starts working through the systems one at a time, and I can't recall the exact order off the top of my head right now, sorry!

27. McNerdy

Medical Student
    So there probably isn't an official schedule as they are still working out what lectures they want to adjust and how to incorporate any curriculum changes. My understanding is you will likely benefit from firecracker integration and more simulation experiences than we had this year, but nothing is certain.

In general, your fall semester will consist of 3 major courses - Anatomy (contains embryo), Molecular cell biology (think cell science, biochem, genetics), and ethics.
    Lectures are in 1 hour blocks, 50 minutes, 10 minute break. A typical week first semester is lecture 8-12 M-F. MWF evenings you have anatomy labs 1pm -whenever you finish your end point.
    Ethics and MCB have a small group component once a week/every 2 weeks where we met to discuss an ethical dilemma or clinical case respectively. We had Team based Learning maybe 6 times throughout the semester for anatomy where we meet in a lecture hall and answer clinical application questions in both individually and as a team with your lab mates.

Testing:
    We had 4 Exams for MCB, last one being cumulative. We had 3 exam days for Anatomy, where you take a written test (think clinical application) and 1 practical (gross lab identification). Ethics I believe was just a midterm and final. About every week/2weeks we had an MDQ (multidisciplinary quiz) so basically a quiz on whatever we had recently been taught across all our courses (i.e. its anatomy+ethics+mcb+clinical skills)

These will be concurrent throughout the whole semester. You will also be taking minor courses that are much less frequent. such a clinical skills course which is maybe like once a week to interview Standardized patients and learn how to do physical exams.

Edit:
    Thought Ill throw in Spring:

January you take Microbiology and Host Defense (immunology) together. February you take Intro to Pharm, then evidence-based medicine, then Behavioural Medicine 1 and conclude the semester with neuroscience. These last 4 courses are taken by themselves with no other subjects except for clinical skills type stuff.

28. TommyTsunami2018

Alright nice, thank you!!