2017-2018 Creighton University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I sent them an update/interest letter and they responded and said they’d add it to my file and that a final decision hasn’t been made on my app as they are planning to interview through March

Mind sharing what address you sent it too?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Mind sharing what address you sent it too?

Just go online to their website. You can email admissions directly via the email they gave everyone (should be in your application portal), update them via the application portal, or send it to creighton directly via snail mail with School of Medicine Office of Admissions on the front.

Reactions: 1 user
Got the acceptance email! Did anyone else hear back today? My interview group was specifically told we would be getting notified of decisions on the 5th, so I'm a little shocked..

Anyone know when the deadline for Creighton's scholarship packages are?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the acceptance email! Did anyone else hear back today? My interview group was specifically told we would be getting notified of decisions on the 5th, so I'm a little shocked..

When did you interview

Got an email about

Got an email about scholarship opportunities for diversity scholarship, but can't find the link on the secondary app site. Anyone else trying to find the application?

"On behalf of the Creighton University School of Medicine Scholarship Committee, I would like to congratulate you on your acceptance into the Creighton University School of Medicine. The Committee is excited about your becoming a member of our community. We look forward to officially welcoming you to campus this fall!

The Creighton University School of Medicine Medical Dean's Diversity Scholarship is a great scholarship opportunity for our incoming M1 students. The scholarship provides awards ranging from $1,000 to $20,000 that are renewable throughout the recipient's four years of medical education. The scholarship is awarded to applicants from socio-educationally/environmentally and socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds, and applicants who have demonstrated a strong, continuous commitment to diversity through extracurricular activities and leadership roles. Applicants will be evaluated on the basis of their academic merit, socio-educational and socio-economic background, leadership, extracurricular activities, and record of service to those who are disadvantaged.

If you are interested in receiving the Medical Dean's Diversity Scholarship please complete and submit an application at your earliest convenience. The Scholarship Committee will be awarding scholarships on a rolling basis starting November 21, 2017.

You can access the application by logging into your secondary application portal:

Secondary Web Address: Enable Cookies

I have a question about updates.

I was waitlisted 1-29 from an interview 1-13. I sent an update the week following my interview at the request of the admissions committee on interview day.
I sent an additional update on 2-15, once my 1st semester grades were released (late I know my University is a PIA) with grades and some additional information.

I already have 3 acceptances but would MUCH prefer to attend Creighton over any of those schools. When should I send update(s) to Creighton. I definitely have enough stuff to warrant at least 1 more, and could almost certainly get another letter if that would help things.

How could you possibly have that much more to warrant enough update only a month after your last update? I ask because continually 'updating' with things that don't really warrant it (new grades, publication/presenation, new volunteer or work position) could be seen negatively as more of a nuisance.

I have a question about updates.

I was waitlisted 1-29 from an interview 1-13. I sent an update the week following my interview at the request of the admissions committee on interview day.
I sent an additional update on 2-15, once my 1st semester grades were released (late I know my University is a PIA) with grades and some additional information.

I already have 3 acceptances but would MUCH prefer to attend Creighton over any of those schools. When should I send update(s) to Creighton. I definitely have enough stuff to warrant at least 1 more, and could almost certainly get another letter if that would help things.
You won't be looked at until May at the earliest, so really whenever

Found it! It is there now. Diversity scholarship. I do not believe I am eligible however because I am Caucasian and from a middle class family, went to a good school in a good area...all the best to those of you applying!

Medical Dean's Diversity Scholarship

The Medical Dean's Diversity Scholarship is awarded to applicants who are from socio-educationally/environmentally and socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds and who demonstrate a strong and continuous commitment to diversity through extracurricular activities and leadership roles. Applicants will be evaluated on the following criteria:

- Academic merit
- Socio-educational/enviromental and socio-economic disadvantaged background
- Record of service to disadvantaged populations
- Record of extracurricular and/or leadership experiences meant to enhance the diversity within an
applicant's institution and/or community.

Guidelines

- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the Scholarship Endowment is awarded.

- Submit a copy of the summary page of all your federal financial aid from the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) https://www.nslds.ed.gov/ Do so by uploading the document to your file through the check status page on the student portal.

Essay Questions

Please describe your socio-educational/environmental background, and in what way you consider yourself to be disadvantaged. Circumstances would include one or more of the following: ethnic-racial background, national origin, first-generation college, or attending an underperforming high school. Please limit essay to 500 words.

Characters remaining:

Please describe your involvement in service activities throughout your college career that have enhanced the diversity within your school and/or community. These activities may include tutoring/mentoring disadvantaged students, volunteer service to disadvantaged populations, and involvement in experiences interacting with people of different backgrounds. Please provide a brief description of each activity, including dates and amount of time devoted to each activity. Please limit essay to 500 words.

Characters remaining:

Certification and Disclaimer
I certify that, to the best of my knowledge, the information submitted on this form is truthful, complete and correct. I agree to provide if asked, any documentation to support and verify this information. I understand that false or misleading information in my application will result in the scholarship being rescinded.

To sign the above statement and submit your application, enter your password in the password and confirmation boxes below and then press the 'Submit' button at the bottom of the screen.

Found it! It is there now. Diversity scholarship. I do not believe I am eligible however because I am Caucasian and from a middle class family, went to a good school in a good area...all the best to those of you applying!

The Medical Dean's Diversity Scholarship is awarded to applicants who are from socio-educationally/environmentally and socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds and who demonstrate a strong and continuous commitment to diversity through extracurricular activities and leadership roles. Applicants will be evaluated on the following criteria:

- Academic merit
- Record of extracurricular and/or leadership experiences meant to enhance the diversity within an

Guidelines

- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the Scholarship Endowment is awarded.

- Submit a copy of the summary page of all your federal financial aid from the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) https://www.nslds.ed.gov/ Do so by uploading the document to your file through the check status page on the student portal.

Essay Questions

Please describe your socio-educational/environmental background, and in what way you consider yourself to be disadvantaged. Circumstances would include one or more of the following: ethnic-racial background, national origin, first-generation college, or attending an underperforming high school. Please limit essay to 500 words.

Characters remaining:

Please describe your involvement in service activities throughout your college career that have enhanced the diversity within your school and/or community. These activities may include tutoring/mentoring disadvantaged students, volunteer service to disadvantaged populations, and involvement in experiences interacting with people of different backgrounds. Please provide a brief description of each activity, including dates and amount of time devoted to each activity. Please limit essay to 500 words.

Characters remaining:

I certify that, to the best of my knowledge, the information submitted on this form is truthful, complete and correct. I agree to provide if asked, any documentation to support and verify this information. I understand that false or misleading information in my application will result in the scholarship being rescinded.

To sign the above statement and submit your application, enter your password in the password and confirmation boxes below and then press the 'Submit' button at the bottom of the screen.

Thanks for sharing, pogo! Do you mind sharing how long after you submitted your deposit, that you received the email and when you saw it in your secondary portal.

Any current students have suggestions for apartments near campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for sharing, pogo! Do you mind sharing how long after you submitted your deposit, that you received the email and when you saw it in your secondary portal.

No prob Dr. House! Received email of acceptance on Feb 26, got email about scholarship on Wednesday Feb 28, could not see it secondary portal. Submitted deposit Saturday, March 3. Saw it in the portal on Sunday, March 4.

has anyone sent some sort of letter of interest to the admissions email? I know theres not a category for that on the portal, I would like to send one since online it says we can inquire about the status of our app so I feel like I can send something as well.....but does anyone know if they are done with interviews like is it pointless to send something now? I don't think I can straight up ask are you still interviewing haha

has anyone sent some sort of letter of interest to the admissions email? I know theres not a category for that on the portal, I would like to send one since online it says we can inquire about the status of our app so I feel like I can send something as well.....but does anyone know if they are done with interviews like is it pointless to send something now? I don't think I can straight up ask are you still interviewing haha

Just call and ask, they probably wont ask for your name or anything

Omg that rejection letter was kind of harsh lol

Reactions: 6 users
Omg that rejection letter was kind of harsh lol
Lmao I was coming on here to say that. “The committee has found it necessary to decline your application...” (proceeds to list off the stats of their accepted class).

They need someone to rework that baby lol

Reactions: 7 users
Rejected but I don't get the stats thing either like my mcat is higher than that sooooooo jokes on them! :)

Reactions: 6 users
Rejected. Would not care - have other acceptances - but this was the single worst rejection email I have ever received. Wow I felt insulted.

Reactions: 3 users

- Academic merit

Guidelines

Essay Questions

Characters remaining:

Characters remaining:

Creighton still sends this out? I was accepted back in October, got the info for the scholarship shortly after but was ultimately too lazy to apply. I called them probably a month ago and they said all the scholarships have been awarded but I suppose they're taking more applications in case those who received the scholarship withdraw ?

Interview coming up here. Can somebody give me some tips. Can comment or pm. Would be my only shot to MD schools this cycle. Thx

Rejected. Would not care - have other acceptances - but this was the single worst rejection email I have ever received. Wow I felt insulted.

Same. Insulted af. The rejection letter reflects badly on them not you. A Reddit thread has already been started to grill them haha.

Reactions: 1 users
Rejected but I don't get the stats thing either like my mcat is higher than that sooooooo jokes on them! :)
Lol same here, I was reading it and was like... so on paper you are saying I’m... too good for you...?

Same. Insulted af. The rejection letter reflects badly on them not you. A Reddit thread has already been started to grill them haha.

I spent an hour drafting a professional email outlining how the way they wrote the rejection email shows a lack of empathy towards students and projects values that are incongruous with patient oriented physicians. No response yet. Turns out they don't have the spine to respond to professional emails outlining their shortcomings.

Hello,

my name is Crawdaddycon. I am a re-applicant to medical school who is currently holding multiple acceptances and who yesterday received a rejection letter from Creighton. While I am not concerned with Creighton's rejection, I have been accepted and waitlisted at higher-choice schools, I am deeply troubled by your rejection email. Let me preface this by saying I have received rejections from: LKSOM, UVM, KCU, Virginia, Rush, Carver, Keck, Nevada, Cornell, Emory, WashU, Northwestern, Casewestern and several others. Every single dean from every single one of these schools wrote a rejection letter that illustrated compassion, professionalism and brevity.

Creighton, on the other hand, is the first school that has ever bragged about the incredibly mediocre median credentials of their students in a rejection email.

"Our average accepted candidate has an undergraduate science GPA of 3.75, an average MCAT of 511 and a large amount of medical and non-medical service."

Creighton is the first school to say I may experience disappointment being rejected from their medical school, but it was necessary because other students were more impressive than I.

"We understand that you may experience disappointment upon hearing this news. However, our limited class size, along with the large number of applicants, and their achievements have made this action necessary."

Instead of continuing to denigrate the email I received, I'd instead like to show you a strong rejection email that illustrates compassion, professionalism and brevity that I alluded to earlier.

"The Admissions Committee of Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine has completed its careful and thorough review of your application. We are sorry to inform you that we will not be able to offer you an interview for the class of 2022.

We would like to express our appreciation for your patience throughout this application season. We received over 15,000 applications from strong candidates, making consideration for this year’s entering class a remarkable challenge. Our committee’s decision should not be understood as a reflection of your potential. We understand that this news may be a disappointment, and we regret not being able to interview all applicants to help them fulfill their aspirations of a medical education at Stritch.

If you will be attending another medical school this fall, congratulations! However, if your plans have changed and you intend to re-submit your application in a future applicant cycle, you may benefit from resources that provide additional educational, service or other health-care related experiences. We have attached information regarding some of the opportunities available through Loyola University Chicago that may help you in this process.

We wish you all the best in your future endeavors."

Loyola at no point demeans my candidacy nor insinuates that the people they accepted were better applicants than I. They also either congratulate me for my other acceptances or provide resources in the event I was rejected. Loyola checks all the boxes - they illustrate a culture of student advocacy. Going forward, please put forth the same values you expect from your students.

Reactions: 7 users
Creighton still sends this out? I was accepted back in October, got the info for the scholarship shortly after but was ultimately too lazy to apply. I called them probably a month ago and they said all the scholarships have been awarded but I suppose they're taking more applications in case those who received the scholarship withdraw ?
Hmmm, well, that is the thing. On Wednesday (a few Wednesdays ago) I talked with admissions and the lady said "all scholarship has been awarded" and on Friday, I got an email about that scholarship...

If you guys don’t mind me asking, did anyone with an mcat of 505 accepted? And if yes, can you share your GPA as well

Hello,

my name is Crawdaddycon. I am a re-applicant to medical school who is currently holding multiple acceptances and who yesterday received a rejection letter from Creighton. While I am not concerned with Creighton's rejection, I have been accepted and waitlisted at higher-choice schools, I am deeply troubled by your rejection email. Let me preface this by saying I have received rejections from: LKSOM, UVM, KCU, Virginia, Rush, Carver, Keck, Nevada, Cornell, Emory, WashU, Northwestern, Casewestern and several others. Every single dean from every single one of these schools wrote a rejection letter that illustrated compassion, professionalism and brevity.

Creighton, on the other hand, is the first school that has ever bragged about the incredibly mediocre median credentials of their students in a rejection email.

"Our average accepted candidate has an undergraduate science GPA of 3.75, an average MCAT of 511 and a large amount of medical and non-medical service."

Creighton is the first school to say I may experience disappointment being rejected from their medical school, but it was necessary because other students were more impressive than I.

"We understand that you may experience disappointment upon hearing this news. However, our limited class size, along with the large number of applicants, and their achievements have made this action necessary."

Instead of continuing to denigrate the email I received, I'd instead like to show you a strong rejection email that illustrates compassion, professionalism and brevity that I alluded to earlier.

"The Admissions Committee of Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine has completed its careful and thorough review of your application. We are sorry to inform you that we will not be able to offer you an interview for the class of 2022.

We would like to express our appreciation for your patience throughout this application season. We received over 15,000 applications from strong candidates, making consideration for this year’s entering class a remarkable challenge. Our committee’s decision should not be understood as a reflection of your potential. We understand that this news may be a disappointment, and we regret not being able to interview all applicants to help them fulfill their aspirations of a medical education at Stritch.

If you will be attending another medical school this fall, congratulations! However, if your plans have changed and you intend to re-submit your application in a future applicant cycle, you may benefit from resources that provide additional educational, service or other health-care related experiences. We have attached information regarding some of the opportunities available through Loyola University Chicago that may help you in this process.

We wish you all the best in your future endeavors."

Loyola at no point demeans my candidacy nor insinuates that the people they accepted were better applicants than I. They also either congratulate me for my other acceptances or provide resources in the event I was rejected. Loyola checks all the boxes - they illustrate a culture of student advocacy. Going forward, please put forth the same values you expect from your students.

Very ridiculous. Congratulations on your acceptances and the compassion you demonstrate here. I was not impressed by their overall demeanor when I was there. PhD interviewers were especially condescending -except for the head of the dept. who was especially kind. *Sigh* it was just an awkward sad day. I left thinking they did not learn anything about me...and I learned a lot of poor things about them.

Also those that just had your interviews, did they mention anything about when they would be looking at the alternate list?

The amount of angst on the post rn!

Heyyyyyya everyone!!! I just wanted to ask if any accepted students are going to a *day with a blue jay*? Are we allowed to bring our boyfriends? He really wants to follow me to the second look!
Yeah, you may.

Accepted via email this morning!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Residency Match | School of Medicine | Creighton University

Seems like your link was broken but you can give this link a go.
We had 97% of our M4s get their first choice of specialty. (I was told this was above average). Many of the M4's I spoke to not only get their specialty of choice but many received one of their top programs of choice.

Just thought I'd share, hopefully it adds to your knowledge about our school and what we can do!
Can you share your experiences with step prep. Are the tests NBME exams and how much dedicated time do we get?

Can you share your experiences with step prep. Are the tests NBME exams and how much dedicated time do we get?
So as an M1 I'm not going to be the greatest at detailing this answer for you, but I can give you a general idea of what we've been told so far and about our recent curriculum changes.

So first part, Are tests NBME exam? Our curriculum is systems based starting with Neuroscience in March of M1 year. I know for a fact that our Neuroscience final will be a NBME exam and that NBME exams will be taken with certain systems in place of a final. With this being said, I cannot yet speak to the extent to which NBME exams are taken or for what specific systems they will be implemented into.

With this being said, the admin is trying to take steps in our curriculum changes to improve our step 1 performance. We are currently trying out an incorporation of the firecracker application into the curriculum. This is brand new as of the month of March 2018. If the pilot goes well you can expect the use of firecracker to be incorporated into every course with quizzes being sourced from firecracker information. In theory, Firecracker is designed according to step/nbme resources and reports to increase step performance so it may be really cool having it fully integrated into our curriculum and constantly being shown NBME styled questions in addition to teacher designed questions.

We do have a counselling session of sorts during M2 during which you meet 1 on 1 with someone to discuss life goals, provide feedback as to how to get there, and form a plan of study for step to meet goals. Ex: I want to go into EM, I want a 230+ step score, I will start studying x resources by y date for z many hours per day etc.

As far as dedicated time goes, we really don't get a ton (which blows). My understanding is M2 classes will end at the end of April and most step exams are scheduled for early June. The last 2-3 weeks of the semester are a new course that seems to be pretty light (it's on social determinants of health) so it should help with allowing time to study.

Hopefully, this was somewhat helpful!

Does it mean anything if the "Thank you for interviewing..." message disappeared from my portal?

+1
Would you mind sharing any news if you're comfortable? That message just disappeared earlier tonight for me

+1
Would you mind sharing any news if you're comfortable? That message just disappeared earlier tonight for me
same. Could not sleep yesterday night because of that. Looking previous posts and last year posts, this is the sign that they have made the decision and we will be hearing soon. Hoping for good news. Finger crossed.

+1

Accepted this morning! *LOUD SOBBING*

My portal changed on Thursday night, but I received my decision the following Monday! (as promised by the adcom)

If you guys don’t mind me asking, did anyone with an mcat of 505 accepted? And if yes, can you share your GPA as well

I got put on the "alternate list" after my interview with a 505 MCAT. In the email from admissions, they said we could contact admissions pertaining as to why we were put on the alternate list, and I was told flat-out that it was because of my MCAT score. They also said that everything else looked great and that my interviewers spoke highly of me. This was pretty disappointing, as I didn't think MCAT score would be the sole reason for not getting accepted post-interview, but such is life.

Quick question-- got accepted on a conditional acceptance (need an advanced science class prior to matriculation). Does this count as a full acceptance in the context of dropping all except one acceptance by April 30th? Can I keep Creighton and one other school?