2017-2018 Des Moines University (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted Nov 17! Interview Oct. 30. IS.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
II today, complete 10/16.

Reactions: 2 users
II 11/1. Interviewed 11/9. Accepted 11/28.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!! I interviewed the same day but haven't heard anything - do they do silent rejections?
No. They will let you know if you are accepted, waitlisted or rejected.

Reactions: 1 user
Quick question to those of you who already interviewed, if you had a student interviewer, how did you go about finding his/her email to send them a post-interview thank you email? I found the two faculty members who interviewed me but I also had a second-year student in the group as well.

Quick question to those of you who already interviewed, if you had a student interviewer, how did you go about finding his/her email to send them a post-interview thank you email? I found the two faculty members who interviewed me but I also had a second-year student in the group as well.

I just used the emails on the list they gave us of who our interviewers would be.

I just used the emails on the list they gave us of who our interviewers would be.

Huh, I got a paper that listed the names of my interviewers but it does not contain any of their contact information.

Huh, I got a paper that listed the names of my interviewers but it does not contain any of their contact information.
Oh whoops, I'm sorry I was thinking of another interview! For DMU they let us know to send thank you emails to the main admissions email address rather than to each individual person, and that admissions would forward our emails along to our interviewers. So just state their names in the emails and they'll receive the forwarded email!

Anyone from the 11/10 interview group hear anything? Also, I know DMU will let you know if you're accepted via email, but if you are waitlisted, is it an email or snail mail?

Hey for those of you who have accepted your seat/paid the deposit how long did it take for you to get access to your Pulse? I paid over a week ago and haven’t received any confirmation besides the automated payment receipt.

For those accepted, do we have to complete anything but the deposit by December 14th?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does the virtual breakfast email have any indication of your admission decision? I just got the email but have not received a decision yet. I'm hoping they wouldn't send this to me if I have a rejection in the mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
accepted a little while ago!

Reactions: 2 users
Just withdrew my acceptance here. I hope it goes to one of you deserving individuals!! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Just Received a handwritten letter from admissions. The effort that they put into holding onto their accepted students is respectable!

Reactions: 6 users
Just Received a handwritten letter from admissions. The effort that they put into holding onto their accepted students is respectable!

They honestly put in the most effort out of all the other schools that I have been accepted to by far with letters from current students to breakfast with the Dean invites.

Reactions: 4 users
I was put on hold, received an email a month ago saying I would soon either get a II or be rejected. Can I just assume I am not gonna get a II

I was put on hold, received an email a month ago saying I would soon either get a II or be rejected. Can I just assume I am not gonna get a II
I don't think that's a safe assumption at this point. Things tend to slow down around the holidays. I really don't think you could be completely certain until the cycle is over.

Has anyone been rejected post-interview by this school? I am completely unsure if this is a silent rejection or not, but people from my group heard back almost 2 weeks ago.

Hey for those of you who have accepted your seat/paid the deposit how long did it take for you to get access to your Pulse? I paid over a week ago and haven’t received any confirmation besides the automated payment receipt.

Any word on Pulse access? Still waiting as well.

Any word on Pulse access? Still waiting as well.

I emailed admissions to make sure I didn’t have any outstanding requirements and they just said they hadn’t set up the accounts for admitted students and didn’t have a time table for when they would...

I emailed admissions to make sure I didn’t have any outstanding requirements and they just said they hadn’t set up the accounts for admitted students and didn’t have a time table for when they would...
you guys arent missing anything special trust me

Reactions: 5 users
Hey anyone have any idea how long it will take to hear back post interview if I interviewed November 30th?

I'm in a sort of quandary. . . So the payment for DMU is due the 14th but I'm still holding out for my top choice school. DMU is fantastic I loved the atmosphere and would be very happy to go here. However, my heart is set on being an MD due to my career goals. My top choice MD school has just started releasing decision for those that interviewed on 11/9. I have not received an email yet but would be upset if I pay the 500$ and then find out I'm not going to go here a day later. Any thoughts? Do they allow a few day extension or is it pretty hardset? Just thought I would ask before I called.

I'm in a sort of quandary. . . So the payment for DMU is due the 14th but I'm still holding out for my top choice school. DMU is fantastic I loved the atmosphere and would be very happy to go here. However, my heart is set on being an MD due to my career goals. My top choice MD school has just started releasing decision for those that interviewed on 11/9. I have not received an email yet but would be upset if I pay the 500$ and then find out I'm not going to go here a day later. Any thoughts? Do they allow a few day extension or is it pretty hardset? Just thought I would ask before I called.
Kinda in a similar boat. Deposit due on Thursday, top choice school said they're probably releasing decisions on Friday.

I would just hold out and not pay the deposit until Thursday. If the MD school started releasing decisions, you may hear today or tomorrow. If you don't, call them and ask what's up before paying DMU.

I am in the same situation and ending up paying the deposit. They said no exceptions on the deadline and I wanted to secure my acceptance even if I end up at a different school. As much as hurt me to potentially pay $500 I won't get back, I know that I have spent twice that already on the application cycle. Not a perfect solution I know

Kinda in a similar boat. Deposit due on Thursday, top choice school said they're probably releasing decisions on Friday.

I would just hold out and not pay the deposit until Thursday. If the MD school started releasing decisions, you may hear today or tomorrow. If you don't, call them and ask what's up before paying DMU.

I am in the same situation and ending up paying the deposit. They said no exceptions on the deadline and I wanted to secure my acceptance even if I end up at a different school. As much as hurt me to potentially pay $500 I won't get back, I know that I have spent twice that already on the application cycle. Not a perfect solution I know

I'm in the same boat! Should hear back from my top M.D school by FRIDAY. How inconvenient.

Thanks guys, it seems to be the game we play I guess. @DrDazl I agree it will be much cheaper than reapplying haha.

Same boat for me as well, however mine is showing that the deposit isn't due until 12/18. Are they going based off of one date for everyone and I'm missing something or is just X amount of time since you were offered acceptance?

Also, is there anything else I need to do prior to the deadline transcripts wise etc? I don't wanna wait until the last minute, pay $500 and then realize I needed to do something else.

Same boat for me as well, however mine is showing that the deposit isn't due until 12/18. Are they going based off of one date for everyone and I'm missing something or is just X amount of time since you were offered acceptance?

Also, is there anything else I need to do prior to the deadline transcripts wise etc? I don't wanna wait until the last minute, pay $500 and then realize I needed to do something else.

I would send them a message to clarify your deadline to make sure you don't miss it. Its based on when you heard your II decision. They have a pretty nifty chat feature on their website that I used. For me, they just said the deposit needs to be in before the 15th but it doesn't matter what time. You do need to sign a single form but there are no other outstanding requirements (yet). Eventually there is a background check and drug screen due but not for a while.

I would send them a message to clarify your deadline to make sure you don't miss it. Its based on when you heard your II decision. They have a pretty nifty chat feature on their website that I used. For me, they just said the deposit needs to be in before the 15th but it doesn't matter what time. You do need to sign a single form but there are no other outstanding requirements (yet). Eventually there is a background check and drug screen due but not for a while.

Awesome thanks.

Does anyone know how long the interview day typically lasts? for those that interviewed recently? I am considering taking a bus at 3:05 PM but dont want to risk it!

Does anyone know how long the interview day typically lasts? for those that interviewed recently? I am considering taking a bus at 3:05 PM but dont want to risk it!
It depends on the interview slot that you get. They have 3 interview time slots that students are assigned to: 1:15, 2:00 and 2:45pm, so if you get the 2:45 slot (like I did) you will be ending interview day around 3:30pm. However, I know they are receptive to requests for an earlier interview if you have travel arrangements, but you need to let them know at least 1 week in advance if I remember the email correctly.

On my day the interviews were at 1:15, 2:00, and 2:45. When you weren't interviewing you were on a tour and then could leave afterwards. I bet you could contact the admissions office and ask if it is possible to be in the first interview group so that you can leave when needed. Good luck!

A bus at 3:05 PM is pretty risky. I requested an early interview time and still got done the same time as the late group because the students gave an extra long tour at the end.

I'm an M1 here and I wouldn't risk that. Try to work with admissions to figure out a plan otherwise but most interviews go right to the end, if not over. Plus I was in the last interview group and I found it a positive to be able to hang around longer and just get a feel of what campus is like. But if that bus works better for you go for it. Admissions is usually pretty accommodating as much as they can be

For everyone unsure about putting down a deposit, in the long run $500 is very very little compared to the loans taken out for medical school and how much you will have to repay! I lost $1000 last application cycle putting down a deposit at another school before finding out from DMU that I was accepted. It is much better to pay the deposit and ensure you will go to medical school than risking your spot and ending up having to reapply! Especially if you actually liked DMU and could see yourself attending here. Trust me, once you take out your loans for that first semester and they give you your financial talk during orientation about the many thousands of dollars you will accumulate with just interest, $500 seems like nothing (very depressing).

Reactions: 3 users