2017-2018 Des Moines University (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is the outstanding reqs form just the form that says sign and print? Mine has that, along with the dates due for my transcript, etc

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is the outstanding reqs form just the form that says sign and print? Mine has that, along with the dates due for my transcript, etc

That is correct, I submitted that through email and the requirement went away

Where does it list the due dates for transcripts? I paid my deposit and uploaded the outstanding reqs form but only see a due date for the background check and drug test. Does this mean my transcripts are not required or am I just being dumb and looking in the wrong place?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where does it list the due dates for transcripts? I paid my deposit and uploaded the outstanding reqs form but only see a due date for the background check and drug test. Does this mean my transcripts are not required or am I just being dumb and looking in the wrong place?

Did you graduate already? If so, that might be why.

For those of you that already paid the deposit... was it an easy process and did it go smoothly? I will be paying mine after work tomorrow and am super paranoid the website is going to crash or something before the deadline.
(Yes I know I am being risky but I hear back from my priority school either tomorrow or Friday and don't want to spend the cash if I don't have to!)

I LOVED this school. I mean REALLY loved it. I was torn between this school and Western Pomona but I've ultimately decided to commit to Pomona as it provides me with more opportunities in CA (rotations-wise) and I ultimately want to secure a residency in CA. I really loved this school and the facilities.. And I even revisited recently with my mom this time and the admissions office was so accommodating and set me up with a tour and all that. Overall I'm heartbroken to say goodbye to DMU but I think it's for the best for my future. I wish you all luck in your future endeavors and really hope my spot goes to one of you amazing candidates :)

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone interviewing here tomorrow?!

For those of you that already paid the deposit... was it an easy process and did it go smoothly? I will be paying mine after work tomorrow and am super paranoid the website is going to crash or something before the deadline.
(Yes I know I am being risky but I hear back from my priority school either tomorrow or Friday and don't want to spend the cash if I don't have to!)
Haha almost posted as well!! I think we will be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Officially withdrawing my acceptance to DMU. Good luck to everyone applying!

I LOVED this school. I mean REALLY loved it. I was torn between this school and Western Pomona but I've ultimately decided to commit to Pomona as it provides me with more opportunities in CA (rotations-wise) and I ultimately want to secure a residency in CA. I really loved this school and the facilities.. And I even revisited recently with my mom this time and the admissions office was so accommodating and set me up with a tour and all that. Overall I'm heartbroken to say goodbye to DMU but I think it's for the best for my future. I wish you all luck in your future endeavors and really hope my spot goes to one of you amazing candidates :)

Same! Also will be choosing COMP so I’ll see you there!

Received an interview invite at 8:10pm tonight!

Reactions: 2 users
Just paid the deposit! Can't wait to get to know all you guys (my future classmates!) yay!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting to hear back. Interviewed Nov 17th. Come on, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee give me an acceptance. Out of all of the schools I have interviewed at so far, this one seems awesome.

Does anyone have any idea when they rank the waitlist? I remember at the interview they mentioned it would be ranked into quartiles, so are we informed about which quartile we're placed in?

Will be withdrawing today, good luck to everyone

Does anyone have any idea when they rank the waitlist? I remember at the interview they mentioned it would be ranked into quartiles, so are we informed about which quartile we're placed in?
Yes-- If I remember correctly, rankings came out in the beginning of May last round. They'll tell you which quartile you're in at that point.

For any current students what's your opinion on having a car? One of my tour guides on interview day said its absolutely essential, the other tour guide said we don't need it at all. Also, do you think 4 wheel/all wheel drive is necessary? I'm coming from California and have never driven in the snow. My car is getting pretty old so I'm thinking about getting a slightly newer used car but don't know if I should go for the 4 wheel drive.

For any current students what's your opinion on having a car? One of my tour guides on interview day said its absolutely essential, the other tour guide said we don't need it at all. Also, do you think 4 wheel/all wheel drive is necessary? I'm coming from California and have never driven in the snow. My car is getting pretty old so I'm thinking about getting a slightly newer used car but don't know if I should go for the 4 wheel drive.
Honestly it 100% depends on where you live. We do get a free bus pass with admission, and a number of students get by on that. I personally can't imagine being without my car for groceries and errands, but I also don't live on campus.

I haven't had a winter here, but I lived in Wisconsin before this and even there I think there was only one person I knew who used 4 wheel drive in the winter. Just be careful when it ices over-- brake early, turn slowly, and as my parents would advise, always have a shovel in your car during the winter.

Reactions: 4 users

I live across the street...there are plenty of apartments right there and a grocery store within a block. So you can get by without one. I barely use mine for anything besides driving home. They'll plow the snow usually isnt a huge issue unless you're driving while its snowing and even then if you just move a bit slower youll be fine

I live across the street...there are plenty of apartments right there and a grocery store within a block. So you can get by without one. I barely use mine for anything besides driving home. They'll plow the snow usually isnt a huge issue unless you're driving while its snowing and even then if you just move a bit slower youll be fine

So youre saying those apartment buildings that are right on the same street of the school are easy to get into? I noticed those while interviewing there and they looked perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Also, do you think 4 wheel/all wheel drive is necessary?

No.
The day after a big snow, the roads might be a little slippery. That's maybe one or two days a year. Neither me nor my family have every had 4 wheel drive cars.

I drove a little dodge neon for years and never felt unsafe.

So youre saying those apartment buildings that are right on the same street of the school are easy to get into? I noticed those while interviewing there and they looked perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
There's at least 6 buildings within 2 blocks so yeah if not the ones directly across the street one real close by

Honestly it 100% depends on where you live. We do get a free bus pass with admission, and a number of students get by on that. I personally can't imagine being without my car for groceries and errands, but I also don't live on campus.

I haven't had a winter here, but I lived in Wisconsin before this and even there I think there was only one person I knew who used 4 wheel drive in the winter. Just be careful when it ices over-- brake early, turn slowly, and as my parents would advise, always have a shovel in your car during the winter.

+1 on having the ever present shovel in your car, everyone in my family ALWAYS carries a shovel in the trunk (even not in the winter), but being from New England that is just necessity! We haven't had any real snow yet this winter in Des Moines, but I imagine a shovel could still be useful.

I would say if you get a place close to campus (get it early as they do fill up quickly), I could see no use for a car, especially as you are far enough to not be driving home for breaks. In the warmer months you could easily ride a bike or walk to school, and there are grocery stores close to school as well. If there are any events through school that require a farther drive, people are pretty happy to carpool. The city is easily accessible by bus as well. It all really depends on how much driving you think you would be doing...I really like having a car so I can travel to surrounding areas when I am not in school (Kansas City, Omaha, and Chicago are all easily drive-able).

As far as 4 wheel drive goes, I have had a little Chevy coup for the last 6 winters in New England and never had a problem, sometimes a little bit of shoveling has been required, but with safe winter driving it is not a big deal. Still it can be nice to have 4 wheel drive to feel safer.

+1 on having the ever present shovel in your car, everyone in my family ALWAYS carries a shovel in the trunk (even not in the winter), but being from New England that is just necessity! We haven't had any real snow yet this winter in Des Moines, but I imagine a shovel could still be useful.

I would say if you get a place close to campus (get it early as they do fill up quickly), I could see no use for a car, especially as you are far enough to not be driving home for breaks. In the warmer months you could easily ride a bike or walk to school, and there are grocery stores close to school as well. If there are any events through school that require a farther drive, people are pretty happy to carpool. The city is easily accessible by bus as well. It all really depends on how much driving you think you would be doing...I really like having a car so I can travel to surrounding areas when I am not in school (Kansas City, Omaha, and Chicago are all easily drive-able).

As far as 4 wheel drive goes, I have had a little Chevy coup for the last 6 winters in New England and never had a problem, sometimes a little bit of shoveling has been required, but with safe winter driving it is not a big deal. Still it can be nice to have 4 wheel drive to feel safer.
How early would you reccomend looking for an apartment?

I signed on mine in like April. The landlords won't really know who's reupping or not until then but it wouldn't hurt to look earlier than that. There are a bunch around so I wouldn't worry too bad

I would say early spring as Chibucks15 suggested. I didn't sign mine until July, but I have cats and found it hard to find a place near campus that didn't require declawing, plus my SO wanted a nicer place with an office as he works from home so we decided on West Des Moines. There wasn't a big rush to sign early for that area. You can find some nicer places near campus, but they can be a little pricier with the proximity to the city.

I do have a friend accepted off the wait list who got an apartment close to campus off Ingersoll, about 2 weeks before we started. I don't recommend waiting that late unless necessary, but it can be done, although likely won't be 3000 grand!

Just withdrew post interview invite, but before attending the interview. I hope one of you gets my spot :) Good luck!!!!

Wait we get a free bus pass??? I need to look into that...

Anyway, for those looking at housing, I'd say the majority of our class lives at 3000 Grand apartment complex (most popular), the building next to it, or the townhomes directly across from the school. Some opt for 3031 Grand (across from 3000) -it's definitely the most expensive option (~1650/month for a 2br for rent) but the condos are really nice. There's a Price Chopper grocery store within walking distance to all of those places as well as a handful of good bars/restaurants. One of my buddies has a car and a group of us make a weekly trip to Costco or Sam's Club for bulk purchases. The biggest appeal to having a car while close to campus is more autonomy and subsequently not relying on others when an emergency comes up and you need a specific item. For going to the airport, I haven't had any issues getting an uber/lyft in the middle of the day and it usually cost $6-12.

Today is my 60 day mark, if I don’t hear anything within the next few days should I contact admissions or wait until after Christmas/New Years? I’ve seen posts on here of people getting II when contacting admissions after the 60 day mark. Also if I should contact them, should I email or call? Any advice is much appreciated!

Today is my 60 day mark, if I don’t hear anything within the next few days should I contact admissions or wait until after Christmas/New Years? I’ve seen posts on here of people getting II when contacting admissions after the 60 day mark. Also if I should contact them, should I email or call? Any advice is much appreciated!
Our last day of the semester is tomorrow so I'd just send an email in a couple days. I emailed on day 63 last year. Just say that you were wondering about a possible update on the status of your application and that you understand its a busy process etc. Just be polite and it should come across right

Thanks for the advice! Definitely will do that... do you think it would be over the top to mention in the email that I’m just a short distance away in Wisconsin and to also highlight that I am a black URM? They obviously would know that stuff when looking at my application but would be a good idea to mention in the email to try and bring attention to my email?
They'll have your application once you reiterate your name. Don't overdo it cuz sometimes that can come across in a bad way. All you gotta say is your name and asking about an update

They'll have your application once you reiterate your name. Don't overdo it cuz sometimes that can come across in a bad way. All you gotta say is your name and asking about an update

Got it, i definitely will keep it short and simple then. thanks again!

Interviewed over a month ago, and still have not received a response.

Should I e-mail them and ask how long it usually takes to hear back?

Anyone else just get a weird message called "thank you for registering with us?"

Reactions: 2 users
Put on the alternative list :( What should I do? Of the schools I’ve interviewed at this cycle, this one was my top choice.

Put on the alternative list :( What should I do? Of the schools I’ve interviewed at this cycle, this one was my top choice.

Don't lose hope! I was waitlisted/placed on the alternate list is september of 2016.
Ranked into the third quartile in april/may 2017.
Accepted mid-May 2017.
Just finished my last test of the semester here earlier today!

Accepted just now! Got an email about it.

Accepted! Interviewed 12/11. It was a great way to end the semester.

I have an interview at DMU coming up, but I've got acceptances from KCUMB, RVU-CO, and PNWU. For those that interviewed, would you say it would be worthwhile to interview at DMU?

I have an interview at DMU coming up, but I've got acceptances from KCUMB, RVU-CO, and PNWU. For those that interviewed, would you say it would be worthwhile to interview at DMU?
If you could seriously picture yourself going there, then yes. DMU is one of the oldest and most respected DO schools around - they've had a 100% residency match rate for the last four years, their clinical rotations are pretty decent and you'll get a very good education there. From my own experience, the students and staff also seemed pretty happy and laid back, their facilities are top notch, and the area around the school looked pretty nice. Per the CIB, they also have one of the lowest average student indebtedness numbers of any school and unlike Denver and the PNW, Des Moines is very LCOL.