2017-2018 Des Moines University (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you could seriously picture yourself going there, then yes. DMU is one of the oldest and most respected DO schools around - they've had a 100% residency match rate for the last four years, their clinical rotations are pretty decent and you'll get a very good education there. From my own experience, the students and staff also seemed pretty happy and laid back, their facilities are top notch, and the area around the school looked pretty nice. Per the CIB, they also have one of the lowest average student indebtedness numbers of any school and unlike Denver and the PNW, Des Moines is very LCOL.
Thanks for this... KCU is my favorite (by far) of the 3 I've been accepted at. Just a big expense to fly out there, etc. coming from California.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for this... KCU is my favorite (by far) of the 3 I've been accepted at. Just a big expense to fly out there, etc. coming from California.
If you can afford it, it would probably be worthwhile to take a chance and do the interview. KCU and DMU are in the same league - both have been around for over a century, both are highly respected, both are leaders of the DO world, and both have a similar class size, match rate, average graduate indebtedness, climate, COL, and tuition cost. So it would come down to your curriculum preferences and personal feel for each school. I interviewed at KCU - Joplin and really liked it, but I'm on their waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
When were you complete?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Beginning of September. So their 60 day estimation was completely out the window, but I’m super exited to interview at this school, it was one of the ones I was hoping for

I had a similar decision last cycle that boiled down to KCU(main) vs DMU and I always tell people to go to any interviews you get if you can swing it financially. I had my perception of schools totally changed after interviewing and I almost wrote DMU off before giving them a chance last year. I'm glad I didnt because it ended up being the perfect fit for me. Choosing a medical school is a huge decision, getting more reference points always helps and at the very least could help solidify KCU as your favorite.

Besides personal preferences, the biggest objective difference in DMU vs KCU is the curriculum style for first year students.

I had a similar decision last cycle that boiled down to KCU(main) vs DMU and I always tell people to go to any interviews you get if you can swing it financially. I had my perception of schools totally changed after interviewing and I almost wrote DMU off before giving them a chance last year. I'm glad I didnt because it ended up being the perfect fit for me. Choosing a medical school is a huge decision, getting more reference points always helps and at the very least could help solidify KCU as your favorite.

Besides personal preferences, the biggest objective difference in DMU vs KCU is the curriculum style for first year students.
Great, thanks for this info. This cycle is so long I'm almost at the point where I just want to be happy at KCU, but I've heard good things about DMU so I will definitely consider it.

Anybody accepted on here wanting to rent a house instead of an apartment? Haven't really looked at prices just seeing if there are potential roommates

Does anybody know if there is a second look day for accepted students?

Does anybody know if there is a second look day for accepted students?
update: I called admissions and they said they have three visit days that they will send out information for later in the new year

Reactions: 2 users
Got the Pre interview Hold today. Is this the Kiss of death, or still too early in the cycle?

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know what the post-interview acceptance rate is here? Interview Jan 11th

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted just now. Interviewed December 14th! Will most likely attend!!

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone gotten access to pulse yet? Just wondering about housing options

Has anyone gotten access to pulse yet? Just wondering about housing options
Yes there are classifieds on pulse but honestly I found it more helpful to just do a regular apartment search online. There are a bunch of nice buildings around

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there a matriculation packet accepted students need to fill out? I already submitted the outstanding requirements form and initial deposit but have not received any information about a mat packet.

EDIT: Also, which company is the background check/drug test done through?

Last edited:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there a matriculation packet accepted students need to fill out? I already submitted the outstanding requirements form and initial deposit but have not received any information about a mat packet
You’ll have a whole checklist of stuff to complete via Pulse once they give you access.

For those looking for housing, I agree with the poster recommending doing a basic apartment search around the school. A ton of people live at the Imperial Apartments (right across from DMU) as well as other places within a block of school.

Imperial Apartments, Windsor Terrace, 3000 Grand are all big complexes. 3031 is also close by, super nice but more expensive.

Do you have any recommendations for complexes to look into?
In addition to that there's a good amount downtown on court ave and in East village, which are some of the better nightlife areas. Usually about a 5-10 min drive to campus though.

In addition to that there's a good amount downtown on court ave and in East village, which are some of the better nightlife areas. Usually about a 5-10 min drive to campus though.

What would be the name of those apartment complexes to look up if we preferred to live downtown?

Last edited:
What would be the name of those apartment complexes to look up if we preferred to live downtown?
I don't live down there but if i recall from my initial search a year ago one was e300, one was court ave apartments, rumely lofts, etc. Just do apartments.com or something like that you can fine tune whatever ya want

Imperial Apartments, Windsor Terrace, 3000 Grand are all big complexes. 3031 is also close by, super nice but more expensive.

How much for 3031? single or double bedrooms for 2 students?

How much for 3031? single or double bedrooms for 2 students?
I looked and it seemed close to 1500$ a month but I think that was 2 bed 2 bath so probably get a roommate. No open flats though so . . .

Accepted but I will be declining the offer. Good luck to you all!

Thanks for all the information! Has anyone looked into living in West Des Moines? Also wondering if current students had any comments on living in that area or feedback on potential drawbacks (aside from having to drive)?

Thanks for all the information! Has anyone looked into living in West Des Moines? Also wondering if current students had any comments on living in that area or feedback on potential drawbacks (aside from having to drive)?
A lot of the older crowd with families but also some younger people do too. I live within walking distance to campus and I view it as a huge plus, but the people who live further away just hang on campus all day

I was complete back in July, placed on pre-II hold in 8/30, and reminded that I'm still on hold 10/31. Would it be a good idea to contact admissions to express my interest in the program?

I was complete back in July, placed on pre-II hold in 8/30, and reminded that I'm still on hold 10/31. Would it be a good idea to contact admissions to express my interest in the program?
Yes.

I'm a 4th year living in East Village. City Square Lofts are brand new and awesome, plenty of spaces available. There will also be a new apartment complex available summer of 2018 on Ingersoll Ave about halfway between DMU and downtown. If you google East Village Des Moines Apartments all of the complexes you're interested in will come up. The court ave apartments are quite expensive, but there are a ton of options because DSM is booming right now.

I'm a 4th year living in East Village. City Square Lofts are brand new and awesome, plenty of spaces available. There will also be a new apartment complex available summer of 2018 on Ingersoll Ave about halfway between DMU and downtown. If you google East Village Des Moines Apartments all of the complexes you're interested in will come up. The court ave apartments are quite expensive, but there are a ton of options because DSM is booming right now.

I was looking into some housing options downtown and came across one that I really liked called The Maxwell. What are your thoughts on that complex? What are some of the more popular options that most DMU students stay at downtown near the bars or is everyone pretty much scattered? I called a couple of places and some had told me that they had no current students staying there. There are just so many options!

I was looking into some housing options downtown and came across one that I really liked called The Maxwell. What are your thoughts on that complex? What are some of the more popular options that most DMU students stay at downtown near the bars or is everyone pretty much scattered? I called a couple of places and some had told me that they had no current students staying there. There are just so many options!
I feel like most people are scattered everywhere. Its super easy to get around town so you don't need to be close to downtown to utilize it. Just determine whether you'd prefer to be close to school, close to nightlife, and look to see if there are other amenities nearby (grocery, etc.). Other than that you can take your pick of whatever.

Anyone know when we should get access to Pulse and info for the background check?

I know a student who lives at the Des Moines Building right downtown. It's a really nice place if you don't mind the price.

What is the price range?
From their website:
  • Studios starting at $900
  • 1BR starting at $1,015
  • 2BR starting at $1,460
The prices are higher because it's in the middle of downtown. I pay about $800 for a large 1 br maybe 2 miles north of campus.

Well done to all who've been interviewed at DMU-COM this cycle!

Any prompts or good words for my upcoming interview?

Well done to all who've been interviewed at DMU-COM this cycle!

Any prompts or good words for my upcoming interview?

Its either going to be a 2 on 1 or 3 on 1 interview, its not stressful at all. No tricky questions in mine, just questions about my app and getting to know me. Best of luck!

Looks like they sent out Pulse info to accepted students today!

Received pulse and DMU Email access :) Can't seem to access pulse though :(
Fine....I'll give them 24 hours....