2017-2018 Johns Hopkins University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So apparently my app was just "completed" yesterday? I submitted on July 9th!! Wondering if something similar is true for others?
So it's ok that I just got the application complete checkmark yesterday although I submitted on July 9th?
Also, random question, my alerts functions has been really wonky. I haven't gotten alerts from this page and others in what must be weeks... Is there a way to properly set a page to get notifications?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, random question, my alerts functions has been really wonky. I haven't gotten alerts from this page and others in what must be weeks... Is there a way to properly set a page to get notifications?
If you have a notification from a thread and you don't click on it, you stop receiving updates from that thread-- that may be what's happening!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a notification from a thread and you don't click on it, you stop receiving updates from that thread-- that may be what's happening!
Thanks for the advice :). I thought I'd been clicking on all of them, but maybe not. I'll be more diligent haha

Since I'm sure this will come up here were my dates:

November 1: received an invitation to interview
November 12-20: Interviewed. (there were maybe about 3-4 weeks of dates to pick from?? I don't remember exactly that part blended in with other interview date-picking...
2 days after interview: sent a thank you letter with a short paragraph addressing each person I interacted with (a few specific facts and conversation snipets for the dean, the admissions coordinator, my interviewers, and my student host).

Hopkins doesn't give you the option of picking your interview date, you just get an email with an assigned interview date and then you have to email back within 24 hours to confirm or to reschedule. That's probably why you're not remembering it.

So it's ok that I just got the application complete checkmark yesterday although I submitted on July 9th?

Same situation for me

As was the case with previous years, Hopkins regularly takes around a month to send complete emails.

My timeline went:
Secondary received: Late June
Secondary submitted: Early July
Complete Email: Mid August
Interview Invite: Mid/Late September
Interview: Early October
Acceptance: Mid-December

Last edited:
Hopkins doesn't give you the option of picking your interview date, you just get an email with an assigned interview date and then you have to email back within 24 hours to confirm or to reschedule.

As was the case with previous years, Hopkins regularly takes around a month to send complete emails.

My timeline went:
Secondary received: Late June
Secondary submitted: Early July
Complete Email: Mid August
Interview Invite: Mid/Late September
Interview: Early October
Acceptance: Mid-December
Thanks, very helpful :)

Hey guys, I'm an incoming MS1 as well and I just wanted to weigh in on a previous point in this thread about the minority essay. You truly can write about anything or any time you felt you weren't part of the majority (duh, I know, but they're being honest!). I personally wrote about how I was the only guy in a traditionally all girls volleyball league. It made for a humorous story and was a fun talking point during the interview as well! So feel free to write about any experience, they really do take everything into account holistically.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Is it a horrible idea to talk about politics for the when was a time you weren't in the majority question?

I'm from a liberal leaning family in the military so my entire childhood was spent in a conservative environment. Is it okay if I don't really discuss the politics but focus on how I felt/what I learned?

I'm almost done with this secondary and have a quick question (and it would be great if a current student or admitted student could chime in). For my single most rewarding experience, I'm tempted to talk about my home renovation - we renovated our entire home over the course of two years and we lived in a practical construction zone the entire time. We did an amazing job and added over $150k to the value of our house. I'm passionate about design and renovation, but I'm nervous that this will not match the school's mission. Any thoughts on if this would be appropriate or should I think of something else?

@efle @Divine Comedy @SubliminalNeuralgia @hellanutella (apologies for anyone I left off who has been admitted or is a current student)

I'm almost done with this secondary and have a quick question (and it would be great if a current student or admitted student could chime in). For my single most rewarding experience, I'm tempted to talk about my home renovation - we renovated our entire home over the course of two years and we lived in a practical construction zone the entire time. We did an amazing job and added over $150k to the value of our house. I'm passionate about design and renovation, but I'm nervous that this will not match the school's mission. Any thoughts on if this would be appropriate or should I think of something else?

@efle @Divine Comedy @SubliminalNeuralgia @hellanutella (apologies for anyone I left off who has been admitted or is a current student)

Just to clarify, you did the renovation work yourself correct? If so then I think it'd be a great topic and I say go for it.

Just to clarify, you did the renovation work yourself correct? If so then I think it'd be a great topic and I say go for it.

Yeah. We did EVERYTHING ourselves, including grinding the concrete floors, cutting a hole in the concrete and moving pipes, making handmade trim by ripping tops from baseboard, etc. etc. I feel like I should put something about patient care or my mentoring experiences from long ago. But, if I'm honest, this was one of the most rewarding experiences since it took such forethought and consideration to complete.

Yeah. We did EVERYTHING ourselves, including grinding the concrete floors, cutting a hole in the concrete and moving pipes, making handmade trim by ripping tops from baseboard, etc. etc. I feel like I should put something about patient care or my mentoring experiences from long ago. But, if I'm honest, this was one of the most rewarding experiences since it took such forethought and consideration to complete.

I'd definitely go with it then. Sounds like a great experience!

Members don't see this ad :)

I played it safe and used my senior year research project, but I'm sure they'd appreciate something a little more unique, if you feel like you can spin the home improvement project in a way that shows off something about yourself. I think the faculty interviewers might read this blurb along with some of the others (like the time you were a minority) right before they bring you in, my interviewer's first two topics they asked about were the research project and the semester abroad that I used for these essays.

I played it safe and used my senior year research project, but I'm sure they'd appreciate something a little more unique, if you feel like you can spin the home improvement project in a way that shows off something about yourself. I think the faculty interviewers might read this blurb along with some of the others (like the time you were a minority) right before they bring you in, my interviewer's first two topics they asked about were the research project and the semester abroad that I used for these essays.

Did you use semester abroad for your minority essay? I spent a semester in Italy. As a blonde, I really was in the minority in many ways. On the other hand, I spent a few years as a member of an asian Christian Fellowship group on campus. I'm not sure which one is more appropriate for that prompt.

Also, I'm non-trad, so I'm realizing many of my answers are going to be untraditional.

Did you use semester abroad for your minority essay? I spent a semester in Italy. As a blonde, I really was in the minority in many ways. On the other hand, I spent a few years as a member of an asian Christian Fellowship group on campus. I'm not sure which one is more appropriate for that prompt.

Also, I'm non-trad, so I'm realizing many of my answers are going to be untraditional.
Yeah I spent a semester in Scandinavia and wrote about culture shock and learning how to adjust. I'm sure this is also a very common answer for them. Being a minority in some campus organization is probably commonly used too. Can't really go wrong with either as long as you write well.

If your app elsewhere already speaks to your scientific curiosity and you're embracing being non-trad as a part of your app's narrative, then I say go for it. They certainly won't see answers like that very often coming from 22-23 year olds that have only experienced life in dorms and crappy apartments!

Application Complete email received today! Secondary submitted 7/12.

Applicatio Complete email received today; Secondary submitted like early/mid july?

Applicatio Complete email received today; Secondary submitted like early/mid july?

I listened to the podcast where they interviewed the dean, and it seems like it takes weeks to be complete. Do you think this means they have reviewed your application? Or they have just put everything together? I'm almost done with my secondary, so I'm feeling like I really need to send it in this week (and I have a final, so I'm trying to figure out which is more important).

I listened to the podcast where they interviewed the dean, and it seems like it takes weeks to be complete. Do you think this means they have reviewed your application? Or they have just put everything together? I'm almost done with my secondary, so I'm feeling like I really need to send it in this week (and I have a final, so I'm trying to figure out which is more important).

naw the email said they just completed my secondary and is now being sent for review :p

naw the email said they just completed my secondary and is now being sent for review :p

I really want to know what goes on in that office that takes weeks to mark an application as complete. Thanks so much for the update!

Reactions: 1 users
I really want to know what goes on in that office that takes weeks to mark an application as complete. Thanks so much for the update!
no problem and i never realized how passive agressive the ": P" face is

Can someone paste the application complete email? Not sure if what I received was it.

Can someone paste the application complete email? Not sure if what I received was it.

This was mine from last year (I'm an incoming student here)

CONFIRMATION OF COMPLETE APPLICATION

We have received all materials required in support of your application to The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Your application will now be sent to the Committee on Admission for review. This process may take anywhere from several weeks until the end of February before a decision is reached. We will contact you as soon as possible after the Committee has completed its review of your application.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
The Johns Hopkins University
School of Medicine
Office of Admission
733 N. Broadway, Suite G49
Batimore, MD 21205

This was mine from last year (I'm an incoming student here)

CONFIRMATION OF COMPLETE APPLICATION

We have received all materials required in support of your application to The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Your application will now be sent to the Committee on Admission for review. This process may take anywhere from several weeks until the end of February before a decision is reached. We will contact you as soon as possible after the Committee has completed its review of your application.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
The Johns Hopkins University
School of Medicine
Office of Admission
733 N. Broadway, Suite G49
Batimore, MD 21205

Ah, okay. Mine wasn't it then. It just said "thank you for submitting your application." I guess I have to wait some more.

I'm filling out the volunteering activities and it says to use the matriculation date of 08/2017 for the end date if the end date is unknown. I'm assuming this is a typo?

also, should we assume we need to fill it out in chronological order or in order of importance?

I'm filling out the volunteering activities and it says to use the matriculation date of 08/2017 for the end date if the end date is unknown. I'm assuming this is a typo?

also, should we assume we need to fill it out in chronological order or in order of importance?

I believe it it a typo since that is what mine said last year. I personally did chronological was most recent on top and I only listed the three I put on my primary app.

I believe it it a typo since that is what mine said last year. I personally did chronological was most recent on top and I only listed the three I put on my primary app.

Thanks! I'm thinking of breaking out some of the community service I wasn't able to list in my primary app (the ones that were included with other positions). Would that be ok?

Thanks! I'm thinking of breaking out some of the community service I wasn't able to list in my primary app (the ones that were included with other positions). Would that be ok?

I think it could only help. I was rushing mine because I was very late (beginning of September) so I chose not to.

I think it could only help. I was rushing mine because I was very late (beginning of September) so I chose not to.
Yeah - this is one of the few chances I get to show how we've been involved in the community even if I wasn't officially volunteering. Thanks for your help!

I just checked my portal and it says that my application was completed yesterday around noon (secondary submitted 7/13, letters sent 7/20 for reference), but I definitely haven't received an email. Is there a delay between the portal status updating and the email being sent? It's just strange to me how many schools I have not received "Complete" emails for despite the portal showing I am.

Edit for future reference: just received the complete email, so there were 4 days (2 business days) between portal update and email receipt

Last edited:
I just checked my portal and it says that my application was completed yesterday around noon (secondary submitted 7/13, letters sent 7/20 for reference), but I definitely haven't received an email. Is there a delay between the portal status updating and the email being sent? It's just strange to me how many schools I have not received "Complete" emails for despite the portal showing I am.
Yes, I think mine took a couple days between the portal saying complete, and the actual email

EDIT: 5 days to be exact

Maybe you two can try answering the question by thinking of other ways in which you might have been a "minority". Have you ever tried learning something new where a vast majority of the participants were already quite experienced? Maybe you joined a running group or an intramural sport where most of the other members seemed much more accomplished. Maybe you joined a lab where everyone seemed to know what they were talking about or doing and you weren't sure if you'd be able to fit in. Or maybe you decided to take a humanities class and realized the perspectives of the other students seemed different from yours. If you have taught a class, maybe you could discuss what it feels like on the other side (to be a teacher rather than a student). Although it's a stretch, consider whether the populations you've volunteered with differed from your own background. @fouracle, you mentioned religion and that could work as well.
Excellent advice, this really helped me. I appreciate it!

For the optional prompt, does my answer have to specifically be tied to why medicine, or can this be answered by giving a general diversity statement about unique qualities you bring to the table? I'm leaning towards the former but this prompt isn't the most clearly worded. Can anyone chime in?

For the optional prompt, does my answer have to specifically be tied to why medicine, or can this be answered by giving a general diversity statement about unique qualities you bring to the table? I'm leaning towards the former but this prompt isn't the most clearly worded. Can anyone chime in?

I did a kind of diversity statement, but not my typical one. I did tie mine in to medicine since it stated, "If you feel there is information not already addressed in the application that will enable the Committee to know more about you and this has influenced your desire to be a physician"- I tried to match this one to the mission statement. I had covered quite a bit of what I would normally discuss in my diversity statement in the statement about my most rewarding experience. I hope that helps!

Keep in mind they mean it when they say optional ("You may address any subject you wish, such as being a first generation college student, or being a part of a minority group (whether because of your sexual orientation, religion, economic status, gender identity, ethnicity), or being the child of undocumented immigrants or being undocumented yourself, etc. Please note that this question is optional and that you will not be penalized should you choose not to answer it.). You don't need to come up with a general diversity statement. If you don't have something huge/obvious that is going to matter a lot to their understanding of your background, I say skip the question. I skipped it myself!

Reactions: 2 users
I did a kind of diversity statement, but not my typical one. I did tie mine in to medicine since it stated, "If you feel there is information not already addressed in the application that will enable the Committee to know more about you and this has influenced your desire to be a physician"- I tried to match this one to the mission statement. I had covered quite a bit of what I would normally discuss in my diversity statement in the statement about my most rewarding experience. I hope that helps!
This helps a lot, thank you!! I just wanted to be absolutely sure before I submitted.

Keep in mind they mean it when they say optional ("You may address any subject you wish, such as being a first generation college student, or being a part of a minority group (whether because of your sexual orientation, religion, economic status, gender identity, ethnicity), or being the child of undocumented immigrants or being undocumented yourself, etc. Please note that this question is optional and that you will not be penalized should you choose not to answer it.). You don't need to come up with a general diversity statement. If you don't have something huge/obvious that is going to matter a lot to their understanding of your background, I say skip the question. I skipped it myself!
I truly believe I have a (few) good answer(s) for this, just wanted to be sure what to focus on because the character limit doesn't leave much room for depth. I appreciate your input though!

I truly believe I have a (few) good answer(s) for this, just wanted to be sure what to focus on because the character limit doesn't leave much room for depth. I appreciate your input though!

I struggled with this because I do feel like there are some diverse aspects of my application that I want to highlight. It was determining which part was the most important that was difficult!

For the prompt "Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician. 900 char" , should this situation be something that happened once, or over a period? Can you give some examples of adversity? I am having difficulty of coming up with one.

For the prompt "Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician. 900 char" , should this situation be something that happened once, or over a period? Can you give some examples of adversity? I am having difficulty of coming up with one.

For some people this will be a simple prompt to answer as they can think of something quickly. For others it will take considerable introspection. I wrote about paying off my and my parents' student loans and the difficulties we faced when I got a significant paycut for five years during the recession. Others have written about things like overcoming being shy. There are many options, but it might take you a few days to think of the best response. The hardest part of this example is fitting the answer in with just 900 characters. I can get my story in, but talking about how i'll use it as a future physician puts me outside the character limit.

For some people this will be a simple prompt to answer as they can think of something quickly. For others it will take considerable introspection. I wrote about paying off my and my parents' student loans and the difficulties we faced when I got a significant paycut for five years during the recession. Others have written about things like overcoming being shy. There are many options, but it might take you a few days to think of the best response. The hardest part of this example is fitting the answer in with just 900 characters. I can get my story in, but talking about how i'll use it as a future physician puts me outside the character limit.
Thanks!

One of my EC's in my AMCAS is my honors, awards. On the question "List any academic honors or awards you have received since entering college: 600 char" should I be mentioning them again?

One of my EC's in my AMCAS is my honors, awards. On the question "List any academic honors or awards you have received since entering college: 600 char" should I be mentioning them again?
I had the same situation. I chose to repeat them, but was a little more brief. They DID specifically ask for them, so I gave them.

I would. I think one of the frustrating things is how much we have to repeat. On the other hand, it gives us an opportunity to add if we had to leave anything out!

I would. I think one of the frustrating things is how much we have to repeat. On the other hand, it gives us an opportunity to add if we had to leave anything out!
Thanks!

II by email this morning. Complete email 7/26, only offered one interview date

Reactions: 7 users
Just received an II by email as well!

Reactions: 4 users