2017-2018 Marian University (MU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I felt exactly the same :( hopefully I won't have to wait super long to get off the list. who knows

Members don't see this ad.

I felt exactly the same :( hopefully I won't have to wait super long to get off the list. who knows
Waitlisted.
I know that they said about 50% of people get accepted of alternative list,

1. But does anyone know if they tell us our ranks/quartiles on the list?
2. Also do they want updates/ a letter of intent?
I really hope to get off the waitlist, but the email made it seem like we're just supposed to wait.

Waitlisted as well :( I had what I would consider one of the better interviews I have ever been on here, and I absolutely loved this school, so I'm definitely a little disheartened. Here's to hoping I make it off the WL

I was on the waitlist last year at the end of the cycle (may) and ended up getting in. Because it was the end, I sent in my letter of intent and made sure it was put with my file! If you’re already 100% sure you will go here if you get accepted, then you can send a letter, but it is early in the cycle still and you could get other interviews so I would wait in that case. Don’t get disheartened about the waitlist, it is a good place to be especially in regards to this school. Good luck everyone!

Is anyone a little bit uncomfortable about the sexual assualt scandal that happened at Marian last year? I just got accepted yesterday and I like the school. But I'm a bit unsure about going there now that I've read about how this incident went down and how Marian handled it. I read about this on last years forum...any thoughts?

Tl;dr a proffessor used OMM lab to fondle a student, and then exposed himself to that student in a bathroom after class. He ended up failing the student in the lab. Marian didn't help the student after he reported it. This whole thing just makes me uncomfortable...here's a link to the article of you want to read it. I put some snip bits below
---------------------------------------------
Marian University is facing a lawsuit alleging the school acted with deliberate indifference while one of its professors sexually harassed a male student. The suit accuses the Indianapolis university of fostering "an environment which used intimidation and threats to prevent students from formally complaining about discrimination and sexual harassment.”
The professor asked Ganesh “to lie down on the examination table in the lab, using his authority as an instructor and under the guise of medical training, to force [the] plaintiff into a vulnerable position where he could not defend himself,” according to the suit, and Gebhardt “proceeded to fondle [the] plaintiff’s genitals.”

The suit alleges Gebhardt also at various times allegedly sniffed the plaintiff’s body, made sexual comments about his scent, invited him on lunch dates, and exposed himself to the victim in a bathroom.
At one point, Gebhardt gave Ganesh a failing score on a practical exam, an action the student says “was taken solely to punish [him] for failing to submit” to the professor’s sexual demands.
The suit says Marian failed to provide the victim with “policies or grievance procedures providing for prompt and equitable resolution of his sexual assault/harassment complaint, nor did they provide a time frame for the resolution of his complaints.”

Members don't see this ad :)
They wouldn't let me post the link. But you can find the articles if you look it up

Is anyone a little bit uncomfortable about the sexual assualt scandal that happened at Marian last year? I just got accepted yesterday and I like the school. But I'm a bit unsure about going there now that I've read about how this incident went down and how Marian handled it. I read about this on last years forum...any thoughts?

Tl;dr a proffessor used OMM lab to fondle a student, and then exposed himself to that student in a bathroom after class. He ended up failing the student in the lab. Marian didn't help the student after he reported it. This whole thing just makes me uncomfortable...here's a link to the article of you want to read it. I put some snip bits below
Marian University is facing a lawsuit alleging the school acted with deliberate indifference while one of its professors sexually harassed a male student. The suit accuses the Indianapolis university of fostering "an environment which used intimidation and threats to prevent students from formally complaining about discrimination and sexual harassment.”
The professor asked Ganesh “to lie down on the examination table in the lab, using his authority as an instructor and under the guise of medical training, to force [the] plaintiff into a vulnerable position where he could not defend himself,” according to the suit, and Gebhardt “proceeded to fondle [the] plaintiff’s genitals.”

The suit alleges Gebhardt also at various times allegedly sniffed the plaintiff’s body, made sexual comments about his scent, invited him on lunch dates, and exposed himself to the victim in a bathroom.
At one point, Gebhardt gave Ganesh a failing score on a practical exam, an action the student says “was taken solely to punish [him] for failing to submit” to the professor’s sexual demands.
The suit says Marian failed to provide the victim with “policies or grievance procedures providing for prompt and equitable resolution of his sexual assault/harassment complaint, nor did they provide a time frame for the resolution of his complaints.”

I'm not in Ganesh's class but I've heard stories about this situation before it went public. I don't remember much anymore because they were just stories. The stories and my personal experiences never matched up so I was never uncomfortable working with Dr. Gebhardt. Never heard of any accusations in my classes or any of the following classes. In fact, I think he's an excellent teacher and he cares about the osteopathic development of students more than some other teachers. If you are closed minded, you probably won't fit well here anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not in Ganesh's class but I've heard stories about this situation before it went public. I don't remember much anymore because they were just stories. The stories and my personal experiences never matched up so I was never uncomfortable working with Dr. Gebhardt. Never heard of any accusations in my classes or any of the following classes. In fact, I think he's an excellent teacher and he cares about the osteopathic development of students more than some other teachers. If you are closed minded, you probably won't fit well here anyway.
I have been wondering about this too. I think Doctorly1996's concern about a sexual assault incident is very valid. Sexual assault across US campuses is endemic so it's unfortunate when someone seeking information about the safety of a campus environment gets called close minded :( I'm just hoping I misread your comment gatefire and that's not actually what you meant to say. Either way, I do appreciate your input and thanks for responding!

That's part of the problem. It's not even necessarily that it happened, because it could happen anywhere. It's bad that it happened, and it happening makes me nervous. But what makes it worse is how quick everyone (faculty and students) is to defend someone accused of sexual assault, and to think that the victim was making it up/imagining it. I'm sure people were surprised that Sandusky did what he did...I don't think being uncomfortable about this makes me closed minded.

That's part of the problem. It's not even necessarily that it happened, because it could happen anywhere. It's bad that it happened, and it happening makes me nervous. But what makes it worse is how quick everyone (faculty and students) is to defend someone accused of sexual assault, and to think that the victim was making it up/imagining it. I'm sure people were surprised that Sandusky did what he did...I don't think being uncomfortable about this makes me closed minded.
The school investigated the initial claim and found it to be untrue. His fellow classmates at the time said it never happened. With that said, I don't think it's wrong to question the situation since I don't believe anything has really been released publicly since the initial report. I will say that MUCOM takes student well-being serious and any claim like this, valid or not, is not something they would overlook.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anybody have any info on where most people go do their clerkships? Do most stay in Indy?

Just notified that I was put on the wait list. Not a big deal, as KCU still wants me.

If LORs were processed through AACOMAS, does Marian portal show them as received immediately, or after processing the secondary?

Is it too late to submit an application now? I am Canadian, and my stats are 505 MCAT, 3.78 cGPA, and 3.8 sGPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are they waitlisting so many people? I thought they said that they accept 60 some percent of the applicants they interview...or does that include the people they accept off the waitlist...

anyone put on hold still hoping to get a chance?

I have been wondering about this too. I think Doctorly1996's concern about a sexual assault incident is very valid. Sexual assault across US campuses is endemic so it's unfortunate when someone seeking information about the safety of a campus environment gets called close minded :( I'm just hoping I misread your comment gatefire and that's not actually what you meant to say. Either way, I do appreciate your input and thanks for responding!
His concerns are valid if there was sexual misconduct by the professor and I would fully support Ganesh's attempt to bring light to a very serious problem. However, it has yet to be proven and no other students from Ganesh's class or any other students since have come forward with any details attesting to the allegations. From my understanding the basis of the lawsuit was that their was no formal way to report any incident. Some of the students, including myself believe that Dr. Gebhardt is the victim in this scenario. He is an openly gay professor and is an easy target for someone who might have issues with the school. Closed minded people might be uncomfortable with a gay professor demonstrating or helping them learn manipulation by touching them. You don't have to embrace the ideology, but you should certainly be tolerant if you are going to become a physician.
This school does not discriminate based on beliefs. If you are qualified, you will be accepted. I am proud of this school for doing what's right rather than taking the easy way out and making Dr. Gebhardt leave because of his orientation.

I hope I cleared any misunderstandings because I can see your point about my previous post. One would need to know this case a little more to see my perspective.

Does anybody have any info on where most people go do their clerkships? Do most stay in Indy?

I am a 3rd year and currently doing clerkships now. It depends a lot on your rotation schedule. They try to balance it out to where you do the majority around Indy with a few rotations farther out. That being said, some students have constantly been sent pretty far out there. These tend to be the more fun rotations because you can do more. The school is constantly developing new relationships with new physicians so it will improve for the next class.

I was not directing it towards you. I used the word "you" as part of expression but nevertheless I did not make that clear so please accept my apology.

It's not that being uncomfortable about it makes you closed minded. I am defending a person, who I feel is the victim in this scenario. Too often people with different backgrounds get discriminated or accused for something that they didn't do. Based on my own personal experiences and to a lesser extent, what others said, I concluded that he is innocent until proven guilty. I don't think it's quite fair for Dr. Gebhardt to have to deal with this type of publicity either. It's like if I accuse you of stealing and tell everyone that I think you did. Everyone might think that you stole something and treats you differently because of what I said, even though you didn't steal anything. Nothing was proven, and it kind of goes away for a while until someone else brings up the point that you might have stolen something. People again think you stole something and you have to deal with it all over again. On and on this goes. Can you see how this can damage someone's reputation?

Does anyone know about the travel situation for 4th years in clerkships? I've read that people typically stick around Indiana/surrounding states for 3rd year, but I'm wondering if people still tend to stick around Indiana for their 4th year (since it seems like a lot of DO schools will send you to many random places around the US instead of staying centrally located).

If students don't typically stay around Indiana during the 4th year, do they have a choice of where they want to go?

Just got an email offering to move my interview from Jan. 12 to this Friday, Dec. 1. Anyone else interviewing on Friday?

Does anyone know when people will be taken off the waitlist for the first time?

Yes! Please take this into consideration before applying there! The school did not handle this issue well at all! They pretty much paid the student to keep quiet. Also my friend was abused by one of their first year students last year and the school just gave him a slap on the wrist. He did some ugly stuff that would get an average person into some serious legal trouble. Personally, as an indy local, I feel that the med school is so fairly new that they're just trying to get their name out there and don't even care who they let in. Think twice before applying there.

Does anyone know about the travel situation for 4th years in clerkships? I've read that people typically stick around Indiana/surrounding states for 3rd year, but I'm wondering if people still tend to stick around Indiana for their 4th year (since it seems like a lot of DO schools will send you to many random places around the US instead of staying centrally located).

If students don't typically stay around Indiana during the 4th year, do they have a choice of where they want to go?

I'm not sure about any of the other DO schools but you have a choice of where you want to go as long as you set it up in time with MUCOM. The school will provide you with rotations if you elect not to travel around. One of my classmate is spending most of her 3rd year out to state and probably 4th year as well. She has to comeback for some mandatory meetings but she was able to set that up to be with her family. Quite honestly it's tough to travel around to different places doing audition rotations.

If LORs were processed through AACOMAS, does Marian portal show them as received immediately, or after processing the secondary?

Hey I had a problem with my LOR. They had been in for a month and my portal said they weren’t in at Marian. This was after my secondary too. I emailed admissions and was able to get everything straightened out. So, if your LOR recommendation have been in for awhile, it might be worth it to send an email.

@MU COM
Who/what email should we address a letter of intent to (after being wait listed)? I really loved your school, and I would like to write one.

Does anyone know if the 60% acceptance rate post interview includes the people they accept off the waitlist? I'm curious...

Does anyone know if the 60% acceptance rate post interview includes the people they accept off the waitlist? I'm curious...
From the class of 2021 class profile, it says 361 of 546 was accepted. Of those 361, 162 enrolled. I think it's safe to assume that it includes everyone they accepted throughout the entire cycle.

Withdrawing my acceptance today - best of luck to you all :)

Is there a class of 2022 facebook page ? I can't find it anywhere

:( It was a really hard decision but I will be withdrawing my acceptance... Really loved the school and the awesome professors at MUCOM. (Regretting my decision already lol) Hope it goes to one of you guys on the waitlist!

Are there any current students on here? I am curious about how much the school's faith system plays into education? Are you able to do clinical in other states? Are there opportunities to go to a different country on breaks to work in clinics?

Are there any current students on here? I am curious about how much the school's faith system plays into education? Are you able to do clinical in other states? Are there opportunities to go to a different country on breaks to work in clinics?
There is a cross in every room but that's about it. Students do go to other states to do clinical rotations. There are groups that do international trips over breaks, for example there was a group that went to Honduras and another that went to Uganda over the summer.

Hey, I'm a current OMS-1 at Marian. I'm not sure what exactly you want to know about how the school's Catholic roots play in the education here, but in short, it doesn't. Nothing about the content of our education is affected by the religion of the University. We've had guest lectures about In-Vitro Fertilization and other procedures that would otherwise be unsupported by the Catholic religion. (I hope this answered your question, but if you have others let me know).

As far as rotations go, it is my understanding that most, if not all are in Indiana. With the exception of audition rotations, I don't know of any out of state. But being only a first year, I'm definitely not the best resource--I'd ask the administration or a different student.

As far as medical mission trips, we have several. I believe this year, we have two trips over spring break and two over summer break, each with different groups.

Hey, I'm a current OMS-1 at Marian. I'm not sure what exactly you want to know about how the school's Catholic roots play in the education here, but in short, it doesn't. Nothing about the content of our education is affected by the religion of the University. We've had guest lectures about In-Vitro Fertilization and other procedures that would otherwise be unsupported by the Catholic religion. (I hope this answered your question, but if you have others let me know).

As far as rotations go, it is my understanding that most, if not all are in Indiana. With the exception of audition rotations, I don't know of any out of state. But being only a first year, I'm definitely not the best resource--I'd ask the administration or a different student.

As far as medical mission trips, we have several. I believe this year, we have two trips over spring break and two over summer break, each with different groups.

Exactly what I was wondering!! Thanks! How has your experience at Marian been so far? I am interviewing soon and am quite excited!! :)

Are you able to do clinical in other states?

Yes, away rotations are allowed. First graduating class did auditions all over the country.

I am curious about how much the school's faith system plays into education?

As little or as much as you want. There's a chapel in the school building and a cross pretty much above every door, but obviously Catholicism is not going to be forced upon you.

Are there opportunities to go to a different country on breaks to work in clinics?

Breaks....like during a holiday break? I'm not so sure.

Exactly what I was wondering!! Thanks! How has your experience at Marian been so far? I am interviewing soon and am quite excited!! :)

This was my first choice school, especially being an Indiana resident, and I love it here. They've organized everything so well, and the faculty is wonderful. I could say so many things that I enjoy about this school, but it might take me too long. If you have any other specific questions, feel free to PM me.

II just now, most dates open are in March!