2017-2018 Marian University (MU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
II this morning. Complete 10/16. Dates in March as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will be withdrawing a Jan 13 interview date when all of my paperwork goes through at another school--likely in the next week. Message me if you want a heads up when that happens

Reactions: 1 users
Is there a Match list out there for Marian? I am aware of the different percentages of specialties, but a school list would be awesome!

Also, do many students take the USMLE here?

Does Marian pull off interview hold often? Just got put on hold today :(

Is this school out of state friendly?

Well, their class of 2020 data shows 44% being oos US citizens. https://www.marian.edu/docs/default...issions/mucom-class-2020-profile.pdf?sfvrsn=0

However, I'm more curious as to whether they prefer students who intend on practicing in Indiana or have Indiana ties since one of the reasons the medical school was built was to address the shortage of doctors in Indiana. In addition, one of their secondary questions is the following

Is there anyone that put 'no' and have been accepted?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone on the waitlist sent in a LOI or update letter yet?

Just got an interview for 1/13.

I did my secondary in September, but had to wait this long to hear about an interview because they did not accept one of LOR.

Do I still have a chance of getting accepted or is the class now full?

Just got an interview for 1/13.

I did my secondary in September, but had to wait this long to hear about an interview because they did not accept one of LOR.

Do I still have a chance of getting accepted or is the class now full?
Yeah i have an interview in Feb and just got email to see if I want to change, I'm not sure I'd be ready to interview so soon! Is the 1/13 one in the morning or at noon?

Hey guys! Congratulations to all of those accepted and good luck to those interviewing/still waiting to hear back. I got an email last Friday for an interview, was complete 11/4. The first interview dates i saw were 1/12,1/13 so ill be there for 1/13. anyone else who interviewed have any tips?? Especially for the the problem statements mini interviews. thanks!

Hey guys! Congratulations to all of those accepted and good luck to those interviewing/still waiting to hear back. I got an email last Friday for an interview, was complete 11/4. The first interview dates i saw were 1/12,1/13 so ill be there for 1/13. anyone else who interviewed have any tips?? Especially for the the problem statements mini interviews. thanks!

Always consider both sides of an issue without making unfounded assumptions about either sides' motives. Keep that in mind with your answer and it's pretty easy.

Always consider both sides of an issue without making unfounded assumptions about either sides' motives. Keep that in mind with your answer and it's pretty easy.
Got an email today saying my letters of rec don’t meet requirements. Didn’t see that they require a science faculty letter regardless if you have committee and physician letter.

You all got the email that 1/12 and 1/13 interviews are canceled right? I’m not being pranked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got that email too. I'm anxious about when they're going to reschedule.

@MU COM when will these interviews be rescheduled?
Hi All,
We will be rescheduling this weekend’s interviews. We will be contacting you all next week once we have date(s) confirmed. We apologize for any inconvenience, but want to put your and our staff’s safety first.

Has anyone on the waitlist heard anything yet?

Are their MMI questions more like this:

"A close friend in your 1st-year medical school class tells you that his mother was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. He feels overwhelmed by his studies and is considering dropping out of medical school to spend more time with his mother. How do you counsel your friend?" -multipleminiinterview

Or like this:

"The interviewer is sitting across from you, on the table there is a wrapped up box. You are asked to instruct the interviewer on how to unwrap and open the box, without helping them or using your hands." -themedicportal

Last edited:
Are their MMI questions more like this:

"A close friend in your 1st-year medical school class tells you that his mother was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. He feels overwhelmed by his studies and is considering dropping out of medical school to spend more time with his mother. How do you counsel your friend?" -multipleminiinterview

Or like this:

"The interviewer is sitting across from you, on the table there is a wrapped up box. You are asked to instruct the interviewer on how to unwrap and open the box, without helping them or using your hands." -themedicportal

More like the first. What even is that second one? :laugh:

So I got a secondary from this school last week because apparently my MCAT scores weren't verified until this month (somehow?) and I can probably finish the essays today, but I'm seeing all these people that were complete in Sept-Nov, just getting interviews now, my question is it worth shooting $100 for the secondary even though it's late and my stats are a little lower than their average? I was already prepping for another MCAT retake for next cycle (still waiting on schools), so I'm wondering if throwing another $100 down would be worth it here.

So I got a secondary from this school last week because apparently my MCAT scores weren't verified until this month (somehow?) and I can probably finish the essays today, but I'm seeing all these people that were complete in Sept-Nov, just getting interviews now, my question is it worth shooting $100 for the secondary even though it's late and my stats are a little lower than their average? I was already prepping for another MCAT retake for next cycle (still waiting on schools), so I'm wondering if throwing another $100 down would be worth it here.

I'd say do it if you think your scores (MCAT, cGPA and sGPA) and extra-curricular activities are above MU-COMs averages. I applied pretty late in the last cycle and was just above average, in-state and was ultimately encouraged to resubmit at the start of the next cycle.

Submit it and if you're denied, re-apply and it will show you're dedicated in their program and reinforce your fervor.

I was complete 11/16 and have not heard anything. It sounds like this is pretty normal? Anyone have any insight? I have another acceptance but I really want to be at MU-COM!

I was complete 11/16 and have not heard anything. It sounds like this is pretty normal? Anyone have any insight? I have another acceptance but I really want to be at MU-COM!

I reached out to the school when I hadn't heard anything for 2 months. Found out one of my LOR wasn't accepted, so they had put me on hold without notifying me. Once that was fixed, the school got back to me within 3 weeks to schedule an interview. I would check to see if something put you on hold.

I interviewed 12/1, was waitlisted on 12/7 and today I received notification of my acceptance! This school is my first choice so I am over the moon :) Good luck to anyone with an interview!

I interviewed 12/1, was waitlisted on 12/7 and today I received notification of my acceptance! This school is my first choice so I am over the moon :) Good luck to anyone with an interview!
Did you get an email?

could you tell us your stats?

I was just pulled off the waitlist as well! I interviewed 9/29 and was put on the waitlist. 507 MCAT, 3.8 sGPA and 3.9 cGPA.

I reached out to the school when I hadn't heard anything for 2 months. Found out one of my LOR wasn't accepted, so they had put me on hold without notifying me. Once that was fixed, the school got back to me within 3 weeks to schedule an interview. I would check to see if something put you on hold.

I emailed asking for an update and got an II immediately. Super excited because this is my top choice but does anyone else find the Admissions to be a bit disorganized? Is this a reflection on the administration? The school?

For those that interviewed the 19th - we were told we'd hear back by this Thursday or the next correct?

Hey current students, I'm so excited to join you at Marian :)

One of my best friends is getting married on a Friday at the beginning of fall semester, and I just wanted to get a feel for how likely it is that I'll be able to go to the wedding. Are we allowed to take personal days? Or make up exams? I know other schools allow it, but I couldn't find any info for Marian.

Thanks!

Hey current students, I'm so excited to join you at Marian :)

One of my best friends is getting married on a Friday at the beginning of fall semester, and I just wanted to get a feel for how likely it is that I'll be able to go to the wedding. Are we allowed to take personal days? Or make up exams? I know other schools allow it, but I couldn't find any info for Marian.

Thanks!

Hey,

I had to check the handbook on this one so I'll just share that portion.

"Missing an assessment for any reason, other than serious illness or emergency, will result in a zero for that assessment. Typically, excused absences are only granted for emergency situations such as threats to life and severe illness or for rare, intimate experiences in a student’s life such as the birth of a child or the death of an immediate family member."

It also goes on to mention that you can get approval from the course director, among some other details. That being said, first semester exams are typically on Mondays (for the two main classes, Anatomy and Foundations) and they both occur on the same day. Assuming that doesn't change, a Friday wedding shouldn't be an issue. All lectures are recorded so you could just watch them the next day. However, it's likely you won't know anything for sure until orientation.

Reactions: 1 users
So being an Indiana resident, going into this process MU-COM and IUSM were always my top 2 choices. MU-COM is definitely my top choice though and if I get in there, that's 100% where I am going. But the way this process has played out has not been what I expected.

I interviewed at IUSM in mid-September and then interviewed at Marian the first week of October. Based on my stats (cGPA: 3.6/sGPA: 3.4/MCAT: 513), I figured I would have a better chance getting into Marian than IU. After my interviews, I found out I was waitlisted at Marian and didn't hear anything from IU, which is kind of how I expected it to play out.

However, I found out on 1/18 that I got accepted to IUSM. Naturally, I was excited about that but very surprised that I heard from IU before Marian based on my friends experiences with both places in previous cycles. So now I feel like I'm in a predicament where I am accepted to IU but still really want to attend Marian. Is there a way to express that to Marian? I already sent them a LOI in December before I even heard from IU. Should I send them an update to my LOI stating that I would still attend Marian over IU if accepted to Marian? I'm just starting to worry a little bit since people have now been accepted off of MU-COM's waitlist and I haven't heard anything still.

So being an Indiana resident, going into this process MU-COM and IUSM were always my top 2 choices. MU-COM is definitely my top choice though and if I get in there, that's 100% where I am going. But the way this process has played out has not been what I expected.

I interviewed at IUSM in mid-September and then interviewed at Marian the first week of October. Based on my stats (cGPA: 3.6/sGPA: 3.4/MCAT: 513), I figured I would have a better chance getting into Marian than IU. After my interviews, I found out I was waitlisted at Marian and didn't hear anything from IU, which is kind of how I expected it to play out.

However, I found out on 1/18 that I got accepted to IUSM. Naturally, I was excited about that but very surprised that I heard from IU before Marian based on my friends experiences with both places in previous cycles. So now I feel like I'm in a predicament where I am accepted to IU but still really want to attend Marian. Is there a way to express that to Marian? I already sent them a LOI in December before I even heard from IU. Should I send them an update to my LOI stating that I would still attend Marian over IU if accepted to Marian? I'm just starting to worry a little bit since people have now been accepted off of MU-COM's waitlist and I haven't heard anything still.
I certainly think an update can’t hurt. I’d think you’d have an answer from Marian post interview by now, so I’d be expecting to hear. You could call or email and articulate your position. Can I ask why you would choose Marian over your instate MD school? Just out of curiosity.

Yeah I would call the admissions office next week and ask for Daniel, the head of admissions. He's a very nice guy and gives information upfront. Just tell him your situation and he will give his honest take. That being said, you should get pulled off the waitlist eventually, you definitely have the stats for it. PM me and I can give you more info on what he told me.

Why in the world would you choose Marian over IU?

Why in the world would you choose Marian over IU?
I do kind of understand this stance being someone who interviewed at both schools. I got the sense that IU does not care about its students as much as Marian. When interviewing at Marian and talking to students, I got the impression that there was a “we are in this together” attitude. I’ve talked to someone who did indeed choose Marian over IU last year and he said it was the best decision he ever made.