2017-2018 Marian University (MU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I do kind of understand this stance being someone who interviewed at both schools. I got the sense that IU does not care about its students as much as Marian. When interviewing at Marian and talking to students, I got the impression that there was a “we are in this together” attitude. I’ve talked to someone who did indeed choose Marian over IU last year and he said it was the best decision he ever made.

I will give Marian credit for caring about students well-being, that is definitely a priority at the school. However, when it comes to most of the important factors (research, boards, resources, tuition), IU is superior. Don't get me wrong Marian isn't a bad place, but it doesn't make much sense to spend roughly $15,000/year more for an inferior program.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
II today, only dates available were not till March. heard great things about this school from a buddy a couple of years back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone comment on how they liked/thought of the surrounding area?

Can anyone comment on how they liked/thought of the surrounding area?

Do you have anything specific you want to know about the area/Indianapolis? You can always PM me too.

Ok before anybody else PMs me again, I have no clue how the waitlist works, I only got feedback as to why I was on it. That's it

Can any current students comment on the quality of rotations? The ability to easily do away rotations?

Can any current students comment on the quality of rotations? The ability to easily do away rotations?

I second this, and the quality of the rotation sites compared to other DO schools in the Midwest (specifically Midwestern?)

I second this, and the quality of the rotation sites compared to other DO schools in the Midwest (specifically Midwestern?)
The rotation sites are pretty good. The big partners are Community Health and St. Vincent, both of which have residency programs. Also, the school is good about working with students to try and get them what they want. Compared to Midwestern, Midwestern has more core sites that have residency programs.

Do you know if the rotations at those hospitals are preceptor based or ward based??

Is anyone going to the accepted students' event on March 2/3? Is it weird to bring a parent?

I’ve already received an II but I was wondering if you guys think it’d be a good idea to send application updates to the school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve already received an II but I was wondering if you guys think it’d be a good idea to send application updates to the school?
Maybe its a better idea to hold onto your updates in case you get waitlisted? So you have something to send to them after?

Just withdrew my interview, hopefully it gets offered to one of you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe its a better idea to hold onto your updates in case you get waitlisted? So you have something to send to them after?

That sounds like a good idea! Thank you! Does anyone know if they are interviewing for WL at this point?

Also, does anyone have any tips on how to prepare for MMI?

Accepted. Can't believe med school is happening for me, finally!

Reactions: 4 users
Is anyone going to the accepted students' event on March 2/3? Is it weird to bring a parent?
There have been a few people who have brought parents or significant others to the campus events and mixer in the past.

That sounds like a good idea! Thank you! Does anyone know if they are interviewing for WL at this point?

Also, does anyone have any tips on how to prepare for MMI?
Unless they just changed it this year, which I doubt, Marian doesn't interview for waitlist spots. They keep having interviews as long as there are open seats. As far as the MMI, you can check out a few prompts online to get an idea of what they are like, but they don't require much prep.

Hey everyone! I'm very excited to be joining you all in the fall! Does anyone know how much a studio or 1 bedroom costs at the on campus housing building (Overlook at Riverdale)? Or if there are any other recommendations for cheap housing nearby. Looking forward to meeting you guys at the open house!

I had my interview today and I can say that I was really impressed by the faculty and students there. They were very helpful and welcoming. The interview experience was great and friendly. It was not stressful at all. I am hoping for good news within the next two weeks :)

Why in the world would you choose Marian over IU?

I do kind of understand this stance being someone who interviewed at both schools. I got the sense that IU does not care about its students as much as Marian. When interviewing at Marian and talking to students, I got the impression that there was a “we are in this together” attitude. I’ve talked to someone who did indeed choose Marian over IU last year and he said it was the best decision he ever made.
Coming from a big Indiana school, I also know several people who have chose Marian over IU. Don’t let anyone get you down for preferring a DO school over an MD one.

Hey everyone! I'm very excited to be joining you all in the fall! Does anyone know how much a studio or 1 bedroom costs at the on campus housing building (Overlook at Riverdale)? Or if there are any other recommendations for cheap housing nearby. Looking forward to meeting you guys at the open house!
I think it’s around 875 for 1 bedroom

That's interesting that you said that. I know two friends who each went to their respective schools of MUCOM and IU. Fast forward 2 years and the guy at IU isn't all that happy. It's on an individual basis and I personally think IU is great but you you really have to find a place that fits you. Other people will try to project their desires on to you because you have the opportunity and they didn't. I loved MUCOM from the beginning and it is still the same 3 years later. I think either school will be lucky to have you.

I'm a third year currently doing rotations.
I've had pretty good rotations. As of right now, we are expected to do at least 1 away rotation (school supplies housing). Personally I've only done 1 while I know some of my classmate have done 2 or more. Depends on the luck of the draw. In terms of quality, it's up to you. I had one surgeon let me do a TON of procedures while my classmate after me was barely able to do anything with the same surgeon. You have be assertive and ask to do things and have some responsibility. I think I made the best of each rotation while some of my classmates who might be more passive and let that opportunity slip by.

It is very easy to do away rotation as long as you tell them at least 3 months in advance. The school is very open to developing new relationships with new sites. I know a few people who are doing their entire 4th year out of state. All of your core rotation will be completed in your third year.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a third year currently doing rotations.
I've had pretty good rotations. As of right now, we are expected to do at least 1 away rotation (school supplies housing). Personally I've only done 1 while I know some of my classmate have done 2 or more. Depends on the luck of the draw. In terms of quality, it's up to you. I had one surgeon let me do a TON of procedures while my classmate after me was barely able to do anything with the same surgeon. You have be assertive and ask to do things and have some responsibility. I think I made the best of each rotation while some of my classmates who might be more passive and let that opportunity slip by.

It is very easy to do away rotation as long as you tell them at least 3 months in advance. The school is very open to developing new relationships with new sites. I know a few people who are doing their entire 4th year out of state. All of your core rotation will be completed in your third year.
Do you know anyone who has been able to do rotations overseas? Are there any programs available for students interested in global health?

Do you know anyone who has been able to do rotations overseas? Are there any programs available for students interested in global health?

At our interview, Daniel told us you have the opportunity to do rotations in your 4th year literally anywhere - including overseas

For the MMI, are you allowed to take notes and bring them in? 12 minutes seems so long for an MMI :unsure:

For the MMI, are you allowed to take notes and bring them in? 12 minutes seems so long for an MMI :unsure:

Yes you were allowed a few minutes with the prompt where you can take notes and then discuss with the interviewer. They have follow up questions so the 12 minutes goes by pretty quick!

I wouldn't worry about the 12 min time limit. That scared me prior to the interview, but in reality I probably only spent 3-4 mins discussing the actual prompt before we moved on to other topics.

Then again, I was waitlisted after what I thought was a phenomenal interview, so maybe spend a little longer on your prompts...

Reactions: 2 users
Yes you were allowed a few minutes with the prompt where you can take notes and then discuss with the interviewer. They have follow up questions so the 12 minutes goes by pretty quick!
I wouldn't worry about the 12 min time limit. That scared me prior to the interview, but in reality I probably only spent 3-4 mins discussing the actual prompt before we moved on to other topics.

Then again, I was waitlisted after what I thought was a phenomenal interview, so maybe spend a little longer on your prompts...

Glad to hear that there are f/u questions, and thanks!

Another Q: for the photo for the interview did you guys upload professional headshots or just any photo cropped to your face?

Another Q: for the photo for the interview did you guys upload professional headshots or just any photo cropped to your face?

It doesn't have to be a professional shot, but don't just crop your facebook profile picture and put it on there. Put on a shirt and tie at the very least and take a nice photo, good lighting, etc.

should I submit a letter of intent if this is my top 1/2 choice school before i receive an admissions decision? I interviewed there this past saturday 2/3. thanks!

should I submit a letter of intent if this is my top 1/2 choice school before i receive an admissions decision? I interviewed there this past saturday 2/3. thanks!
I totally believe you should hold a letter of intent for after your decision because for all you know you might be accepted! And then again, if you are waitlisted you'd want to have that letter to have to send later. Up to you though!

Honestly, a letter of intent isn't going to do/change much, especially if you are accepted. It's a non-binding letter. Unfortunately, they don't mean much.

Did anyone else's MMI interviewer not do the MMI portion of the interview? When I walked in, the guy told me that he frankly had no emotional attachment as to whether I got into med school, and then, he said he was just there to answer questions if I had any. My interview was after our 30 or so minute Q+A with the 2nd year med students, so I really didn't have anymore questions for him (I still asked some). But I'm wondering how I could even be graded on that? I just found out I was waitlisted yesterday...

Did anyone else's MMI interviewer not do the MMI portion of the interview? When I walked in, the guy told me that he frankly had no emotional attachment as to whether I got into med school, and then, he said he was just there to answer questions if I had any. My interview was after our 30 or so minute Q+A with the 2nd year med students, so I really didn't have anymore questions for him (I still asked some). But I'm wondering how I could even be graded on that? I just found out I was waitlisted yesterday...
I had the same experience, except got the email saying they hadn't gotten to review my application yet.

I had the same experience, except got the email saying they hadn't gotten to review my application yet.
Well hopefully you will get in next Thursday! I know they said the alternate list isn't a bad place to be, but it was still a little disheartening.

Wow that is so strange indeed especially since the MMIs are so important to Marian's interview! I wonder how he could've graded you on that without giving you a 0 or full marks. Curious.

Hey current students, my family was wondering how many people can attend the white coat ceremony as guests. I have family from out of town who want to start thinking about travel plans if I am able to invite them! Thanks!

Hey current students, my family was wondering how many people can attend the white coat ceremony as guests. I have family from out of town who want to start thinking about travel plans if I am able to invite them! Thanks!

Everyone got 4 "tickets," but they didn't actually give out tickets; it was more of an honor system. You might be able to get a few extra people to come because most students from far away didn't bring any guests.

Just received an interview for this school, complete ~ 2 weeks ago. I am not sure if I should go because it is a bit out of reach regionally for me. However, reading this thread and seeing the positive feel for the school makes me wonder.

I interviewed on Feb 3rd and was accepted on the 8th. Good luck to you all :)

I interviewed on Feb 3rd and was accepted on the 8th. Good luck to you all :)
I interviewed the same day but was told the admissions committee did not get to review my application last week. Hopefully I get some good news this week!