2017-2018 Marian University (MU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, just slightly confused - are letters sent over with the AACOMS? And if so they say not to contact them until after 2 weeks, but 2 weeks from which date: submitting AACOMAS or the secondary? Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious, how accurate was the prediction of 2-4 weeks to review application/determine if being interviewed?
Hi, just slightly confused - are letters sent over with the AACOMS? And if so they say not to contact them until after 2 weeks, but 2 weeks from which date: submitting AACOMAS or the secondary? Thanks !

Your letters are already processed through your verified AACOMAS app. The school has to process them into their system separately.

My complete email from MUCOM says the review generally takes 2-4 weeks to decide if being invited to an interview. Was this fairly accurate for most people? I just entered the 2 week range. I expect to wait essentially a minimum of 2 months at most schools. It's still early since it's been around 2 weeks, but now I'm wondering if I'll be hearing back soon...fingers crossed good news is coming my way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was placed on the alternate list for now. Does anyone know if this is good or bad? Do I still have a good chance of getting accepted eventually?

I was placed on the alternate list for now. Does anyone know if this is good or bad? Do I still have a good chance of getting accepted eventually?

Same. Alternate list. Interviewed last Friday. And I was just looking through last year's thread and someone had mentioned that 40% of those on the alternate list end up being accepted and that LOI is expected.

I kind of want to know why I was put on the alternate list just so I can guage my interview performance. Does anyone know if MUCOM would be receptive to that if I called/email and asked?

Same. Alternate list. Interviewed last Friday. And I was just looking through last year's thread and someone had mentioned that 40% of those on the alternate list end up being accepted and that LOI is expected.

I kind of want to know why I was put on the alternate list just so I can guage my interview performance. Does anyone know if MUCOM would be receptive to that if I called/email and asked?
I was looking at that too and the post after that read that they are not accepting letters of intent. Does anyone know if they do accept letters of intent?

Hello All,
At this time, a letter of interest in not expected for applicants who are placed on the alternate list. You will have the opportunity to accept your alternate list status in the coming weeks/month(s) to confirm your interest in MU-COM. If you do decide to call/ email our office we can give you some feedback, but we are not able to discuss you interview performance. We hope this information helps!

@MU COM if we were accepted, is there anything else we need to do to keep our seat as of right now? The email just said our portal will be updates by November, so is nothing else needed until then?

@MU COM if we were accepted, is there anything else we need to do to keep our seat as of right now? The email just said our portal will be updates by November, so is nothing else needed until then?
As of now, no, there is nothing you need to do specifically. As discussed, during the interview day, your first deposit is due by December 14, but there is nothing that you need to do until then. Congratulations on your acceptance!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
WOOOOOOOT ACCEPTED!?!?!??! YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

I got the primary application completed the second week of May; got the secondary done the instant I got it at around the end of July; took the first interview slot open last Friday and it appears I didn't goof it up too harshly :D :D :D

Non-traditional student, Hoosier born and raised, and second time applying. Only applied to 3 schools this year with laser focus, and by the grace of God~ got the one I basically put all my eggs into!

Stay positive to everyone else who wasn't out right accepted. Even if it isn't this application cycle: there is always hope (I'm living proof)

*buurrrp* Time to enjoy the last year of freedom before school

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed last Friday and still haven't gotten a reply yet :/ They said they haven't looked over my file yet, but people from my Fri interview pool got replies :C Idk if this is a good sign :/

Interviewed last Friday and still haven't gotten a reply yet :/ They said they haven't looked over my file yet, but people from my Fri interview pool got replies :C Idk if this is a good sign :/
I think It's no sign :) they told us on Saturday they only meet for 2 hours and can only get through so many applications in that time. I wouldn't stress about it!

Reactions: 1 users
I think It's no sign :) they told us on Saturday they only meet for 2 hours and can only get through so many applications in that time. I wouldn't stress about it!
Thank you so much for that comfort <3

YAY ACCEPTED YESTERDAY!!! my first acceptance!! :soexcited: I interviewed last Saturday and I was so shocked to see they had made a decision already!!! Good luck to everyone else, don't lose hope on the waitlist!!

YAY ACCEPTED YESTERDAY!!! my first acceptance!! :soexcited: I interviewed last Saturday and I was so shocked to see they had made a decision already!!! Good luck to everyone else, don't lose hope on the waitlist!!

Congrats! Any tips for the interview? I'm scheduled 3 weeks from today

Interviewed last saturday, received this yesterday- "We would like to inform you the admissions committee did not have the opportunity to review your application this week. The admissions committee will, however, review your application at the next committee meeting. Thank you for your patience during this process."
So hopefully next Thursday I should know if accepted/not!

I was really surprised by the school. They have some great affiliations with nearby large hospitals which is definitely a +1 from other places I interviewed at. Was nervous about the MMI but the 10mins flew by! My favorite was the 24min get to know you session, really enjoyed talking to my interviewer.
Just relax! And have some questions for current students. You get to meet with 2nd/3rd/4th years so I got some really good perspectives out of them :)

Interviewed last saturday, received this yesterday- "We would like to inform you the admissions committee did not have the opportunity to review your application this week. The admissions committee will, however, review your application at the next committee meeting. Thank you for your patience during this process."
So hopefully next Thursday I should know if accepted/not!

I was really surprised by the school. They have some great affiliations with nearby large hospitals which is definitely a +1 from other places I interviewed at. Was nervous about the MMI but the 10mins flew by! My favorite was the 24min get to know you session, really enjoyed talking to my interviewer.
Just relax! And have some questions for current students. You get to meet with 2nd/3rd/4th years so I got some really good perspectives out of them :)
I received the same response and cried at first because I thought it meant they didn't think I was too great (lol I know I'm super worried). I wonder how they decided who to review and who not to.

I received the same response and cried at first because I thought it meant they didn't think I was too great (lol I know I'm super worried). I wonder how they decided who to review and who not to.
I know this might be nerve-wracking but don't let it get to you :) Daniel G. said it purely due to how many apps they have. For ex - they had 25 interview Fri and 17 Sat. and they won't get through all of them on 1st meeting Thursday. So it might be done alphabetically or whatever but I don't think it has anything to do with how great you were! Hang in there :)

Congrats! Any tips for the interview? I'm scheduled 3 weeks from today

Thank you so much!! And honestly like many people have said on this thread and last years thread, the interview day is extremely relaxed and welcoming. I had a lot of fun on my interview day because all of the people we got to meet were so kind and helpful! I would suggest looking up examples of MMI questions just to get a sense of what they are all about. But seriously, you just have to be yourself. the interviewers are so nice as well!
if you have more detailed questions feel free to PM me! Good luck on your interview day!!

Here are our LOR guidelines, please take a look at this as it will help ensure your file is completed in a timely manner!

@MU COM

Quick questions, the secondary application question is:

"Indicate any changes or additions that have occurred since submitting your AACOMAS application. (Including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, research, military service, academic warnings, conduct violations, and/or convictions.)"

1. Does that mean we don't re-dislcose an institutional action on our secondary if we already have on the primary application?
2. Does that mean we don't disclose driving tickets (NOT misdemeanor or felony), especially if they happened 5 years ago? (the question says "since submitting your AACOMAS" application.

Thanks!

Was put on "wait list" for II on 8/28/17... today marks the 3rd week (They said expect to hear back in 3-4 weeks).... patiently waiting this week!! (not really patiently)

Reactions: 2 users
@MU COM

Quick questions, the secondary application question is:

"Indicate any changes or additions that have occurred since submitting your AACOMAS application. (Including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, research, military service, academic warnings, conduct violations, and/or convictions.)"

1. Does that mean we don't re-dislcose an institutional action on our secondary if we already have on the primary application?
2. Does that mean we don't disclose driving tickets (NOT misdemeanor or felony), especially if they happened 5 years ago? (the question says "since submitting your AACOMAS" application.

Thanks!
Hi Pop Kitty,
You do not need to re-disclose anything that is already on your primary application. You do not need to disclose driving tickets if they were neither a misdemeanor or felony.

If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats? :)

With a 501 MCAT and Indiana resident, is it worth applying being this late in the cycle ? Would love to be at this school but know their average MCAT is higher, but my GPA meets their averages.

With a 501 MCAT and Indiana resident, is it worth applying being this late in the cycle ? Would love to be at this school but know their average MCAT is higher, but my GPA meets their averages.
Well, it's more than scores, though they definitely matter. If you have a lot of extracurricular activities and evidence that your background aligns with their mission- then maybe worth it.

Hey, current OMS-I here at MUCOM and I just wanted to chime in. I believe I submitted my primary application around Thanksgiving, maybe even later last year (something I definitely DO NOT recommend). I had a 498 MCAT and roughly average GPAs for this school (and I am an Indiana resident). Depending on your experience, you definitely have a shot! I was accepted off the waitlist at the beginning of July, and there were a good number of people accepted overall from the waitlist. Ultimately, the decision is yours, but if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Anyone know if an acceptance letter also goes out, or just the email ?

If I remember correctly, they said acceptances are over email and rejections are thru paper mail. It was a long day tho I could have heard wrong!

Has it been taking the full 4 weeks for them to review completed applications? My file was complete at the end of August and I still haven't heard anything back. I know I should be patient but I am nearing that 4 week mark and Marian is high up on my list!

Under review email 8/28, just rejected now. Really bummed, I felt pretty hopeful for an interview here :/ Good luck to everyone still waiting for II.

Just got put on the alternate list :/ I thought I killed the interview, so I'm pretty bummed out. I'm OOS from MI and really felt like I did a great job wooing the interviewers.

Idk about my Lizzy, but I'm a 502, overall = 3.53 science = 3.4 and I have 4 years of research, worked at two hospitals/ and an underserved clinic. I have plenty of community ties/come from a disadvantaged background/graduated with honors from UM

Everyone's getting accepted and I'm just patiently waiting for an interview offer... :nailbiting::help::thinking:

Reactions: 4 users
Everyone's getting accepted and I'm just patiently waiting for an interview offer... :nailbiting::help::thinking:

It looks like you have IIs from all the other DO schools you applied to tho, which is amazing!! Congrats on that! I'm sure Marian will be next :)