2017-2018 Medical College of Georgia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary received!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also got a secondary! Haven't opened it yet, but will edit post soon to let yall know

Secondary prompts: @WedgeDawg
-----

Please describe your motivation for becoming a physician. What contributions do you feel that you could make to the medical profession in the future? 400 words

Please list any additional clinical experiences that are not included on your AMCAS application. Please include the physician’s name OR type of experience (i.e., Nursing, PA, EMT, E.R. Scribe, etc.) in the description column below along with the location, dates and total number of hours. If no additional experiences have occurred, please select "N/A."

The Admissions Committee regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, region of residence with respect to its health professional needs, ties to MCG Medical College of Georgia, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or life and/or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine. 400 words

Please describe the geographical setting in which you think you would most like to practice following medical training. Include the following information if known: The state or region of the country, the name of the county and town. 400 words

If applicable, indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you have not already addressed that you feel the Admissions Committee should consider when evaluating your application. If you have had any academic problems or unevenness in your academic performance, please address that here as well: 400 words
-----

There is also an incredible amount of background information requested in the many tabs of the secondary. But at least it's free.

Reactions: 1 users
This secondary is loooonnnnggg. And why are they asking so much info about our parents.

This secondary is loooonnnnggg. And why are they asking so much info about our parents.
There also appear to be some issues similar to last year - for example, it was asking about planned activities until matriculation in August 2017 (when it should say 2018).

There was also a question asking about credit cards and the addresses associated with them, with a few blank text boxes. At that point I decided to go back to pre-writing other secondaries, lol. I have to call them about the new course requirements on Monday anyway.

Also everyone should keep in mind that they have a 2-weeks-from-receipt deadline.

Good luck everybody!

Wow, my AMCAS primary isn't verified yet but they just sent me the secondary! So anyone else out there, be on the lookout even if you're not verified yet!

There also appear to be some issues similar to last year - for example, it was asking about planned activities until matriculation in August 2017 (when it should say 2018).

There was also a question asking about credit cards and the addresses associated with them, with a few blank text boxes. At that point I decided to go back to pre-writing other secondaries, lol. I have to call them about the new course requirements on Monday anyway.

Also everyone should keep in mind that they have a 2-weeks-from-receipt deadline.

Good luck everybody!

It's been two hours now. Still on the grind...

Do we have to submit all the documents that are requested for in state tuition purposes???

I am so overwhelmed by this secondary....so much specific info and specific instructions I can't even imagine myself doing all of this within two weeks lol

I am so overwhelmed by this secondary....so much specific info and specific instructions I can't even imagine myself doing all of this within two weeks lol

I was able to submit last night after working on it for 4 hours. It's by far the longest I've done

Members don't see this ad :)
Jesus christ, this secondary is so in depth. The fact that i have to put in everywhere i've worked, and lived in the past 5 years seems a bit much. btw, what documents did you guys submit for the instate tuition classification?

Jesus christ, this secondary is so in depth. The fact that i have to put in everywhere i've worked, and lived in the past 5 years seems a bit much. btw, what documents did you guys submit for the instate tuition classification?

Since I still live with my parents who live in ga and am a dependent, I uploaded my ga license, their ga licenses, their joint tax return claiming me as a dependent, and finally my US passport

Do they send you an e-mail on instructions how to sign up for your secondary? Or did you guys find another way?

I only got an e-mail titled "Medical College of Georgia Statistics Requirement Instructions" that states that statistics is required and needs to be indicated in the secondary. Thus, I know that they have received my primary but I haven't received any e-mail instructions on how to get started on the secondary application.

Do they send you an e-mail on instructions how to sign up for your secondary? Or did you guys find another way?

I only got an e-mail titled "Medical College of Georgia Statistics Requirement Instructions" that states that statistics is required and needs to be indicated in the secondary. Thus, I know that they have received my primary but I haven't received any e-mail instructions on how to get started on the secondary application.
Hmm, I received that email too, but that was AFTER having received the initial email with a link to the secondary application. So I would contact them Monday and just give them a heads up that you received an email regarding stats requirement but not an email w/ a link to the actual secondary. Also, check your spam folder (but I believe that follow-up came from the same initial email address).

I submitted the secondary before they updated it with the stat requirement. Is there anyway I could update it again?

Just submitted my secondary! I'm a reapplicant, and I interviewed last cycle, so feel free to ask me any questions about MCG or their interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
I had a friend who submitted within the first week of receiving his secondary tell me that he heard there's a rule that it's recommended to submit within the first week. That made me anxious since I only have 5 more days until the two week deadline and I haven't submitted yet. Only now started working on essays, and probably won't submit until later this week. Is that a problem or will that put me behind in any way? Is it frowned upon to not submit within the first week?
Submit by the two week deadline and you'll be fine.

please share your stats if you don't mind ,
gpa ?,
mcat or LizzyM,?
EDP or RD, ?
in state or out of state?
first time applicant or reapplicant...?,
I am trying to build a stats sheet and will share with you down the road with (no names) so we keep track with acceptances , waitlists , dates and so on

Did you apply DO last cycle?
I did not. I rushed into my first application without understanding how the process works/how to make a good school list. I applied to 9 OOS schools that accepted over 90% IS students. I also thought DO shadowing was required to apply DO. I realized now that's not the case, so I applied to 8 DO's this cycle.

Did you contact MCG afterwards and ask them about why you weren't accepted? If so, what did they say?

If not, when did you submit your secondary last year and when can we expect to hear back about interviews?

Thanks!
I'm still technically on the alternate list, and they won't give feedback until you are officially rejected.

I was complete at MCG the second week in July last year, but I didn't get an interview invite until January. I think they offer interviews August - February.

I did not. I rushed into my first application without understanding how the process works/how to make a good school list. I applied to 9 OOS schools that accepted over 90% IS students. I also thought DO shadowing was required to apply DO. I realized now that's not the case, so I applied to 8 DO's this cycle.

Seems like you will have a much more successful cycle this time around!

Last edited:
Just submitted!

Similar to stickgirl390, I am currently on the waitlist for this past cycle. Hopefully both of us get pulled and we can give y'all advice as students, but if not then I hope we all start together next fall. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Wow, that is scary. You were complete by second week of July last year, which is incredibly early - around this time, same as this year, and yet you didn't get an interview invite until January. I thought since you were complete so early, you would have gotten an interview invite much earlier, like early Fall. I'm still working on my secondary (cutting it very close to the 2 week deadline), and my primary hasn't even been verified yet :nailbiting:
A LOT of this process is left to random chance. I sent an update email in January and received my II less than 24 Hours later. This leads me to believe that my application may have been looked over due to the volume of applications they sort through. But really, who knows. This is why you should apply broadly.

Just submitted!

Similar to stickgirl390, I am currently on the waitlist for this past cycle. Hopefully both of us get pulled and we can give y'all advice as students, but if not then I hope we all start together next fall. Good luck!
You and me gotta' stick together this cycle! I'm rooting for you!

Just submitted!

Are you applying ED or RD?

For the Georgia Tuition Classification Documents, do they also need to be in by the 2-week deadline, or do they just need to be in before you matriculate?

For the part where we need to list out all of ours required classes, do we or do we not include AP credit? If we do need to list it, how would that work exactly?

For the part where we need to list out all of ours required classes, do we or do we not include AP credit? If we do need to list it, how would that work exactly?

Include it if it was honored by your undergrad. I just listed it exactly as it appeared on my undergrad transcript.

Are you applying ED or RD?
I did RD. As much as I would like to do ED, my GPA is slightly below the cut-off. My MCAT is fine though. I'm taking extra classes this fall to hopefully raise my GPA so if I don't get in again I should have the GPA to apply ED.

Im in the same boat! Interviewed last cycle and still on the waitlist. Best of luck to both of you this time around!! @stickgirl390 @utah34

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys. I am kind of scared as to whether I have a chance of getting into MCG so I was wondering if you guys can give me some opinion. Here are my stats:

3.37 science gpa
3.34 cumulative gpa
MCAT: Gonna take it in August
2000 hours of volunteering at a clinic ( shadowing 3 doctors)
30 hours of volunteering in two hospitals
CVS Pharmacy technician

Do I have a chance at MCG? What MCAT score should I be aiming for? Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys. I am kind of scared as to whether I have a chance of getting into MCG so I was wondering if you guys can give me some opinion. Here are my stats:

3.37 science gpa
3.34 cumulative gpa
CVS Pharmacy technician

Do I have a chance at MCG? What MCAT score should I be aiming for? Your input will be greatly appreciated.
I'm sure you already know, but with your GPA you will need to crush the MCAT. I would be aiming for anything 515 or higher. Have you graduated already? If you have I would suggest going back to school and taking some more classes to raise your GPA, or doing a post-bacc program.

To give you some perspective I have a 3.59 cumulative GPA, 3.5 science, 510 on the MCAT, and really good ECs (including paid and volunteer clinical experience). I got an early interview but was placed on the waitlist. As I said above I am taking some classes this semester at my undergrad to try and raise my GPA a bit because I think that was one of the major things contributing to not getting accepted.

3.37 science gpa
3.34 cumulative gpa
CVS Pharmacy technician

To go off of what @utah34 said: I was interviewed and put on the waitlist at MCG last cycle. cGPA 3.81 sGPA 3.88 MCAT 505. I have a lower MCAT but my GPA makes up for it. You need a similar balance.

@utah34 @stickgirl390 thanks guys. I still haven't graduated yet so I will try to raise up my gpa as much as possible. Assuming that I get a high MCAT score, do you guys think research necessary for admission acceptance? I was going to focus more on raising the class GPA and I just don't know if I can fit research in the schedule since I commute from school.

@utah34 @stickgirl390 thanks guys. I still haven't graduated yet so I will try to raise up my gpa as much as possible. Assuming that I get a high MCAT score, do you guys think research necessary for admission acceptance? I was going to focus more on raising the class GPA and I just don't know if I can fit research in the schedule since I commute from school.
If you can manage it, research won't hurt your application.

I would give priority to raise your GPA to 3.65+ first over doing 1 year research , GPA and MCAT numbers grant you an interview.

utah34, Since you got an early interview, I'm assuming your stats/ECs^ must have been good enough to get you in the door.

Do you think your interview was a factor in you getting put on the waitlist as opposed to accepted? I'm highly nervous about med school interviews in general, and MCG is my top choice, so the fact you got an early interview and didn't get in makes me even more anxious haha
I have no idea, I thought my interviews went great. In fact, the doctor who did my closed interview specifically told me that he was going to tell the admissions committee that I was the type of applicant they were looking for. Maybe I said something that the open interviewer didn't like haha I spent a couple weeks mulling over everything I said during the interview but that doesn't help anything.

One thing I did learn was that I probably needed to brag on myself a little bit more. I felt like I could have talked a lot more about my current medical job and the responsibilities I have now, but I am not really used to talking about myself. I am not going to be arrogant or cocky, but if interviewed again I'm definitely going to talk more highly of the things I have done since school.

@stickgirl390, I want to ask you the same question I asked @utah34 above: do you think your interview was a deciding factor in your waitlist vs. acceptance decision?
I'm sure it was a factor. After meeting the many qualified individuals at the interview, I don't think I clearly portrayed why I was a better choice over another candidate. Don't stress about it too much though, a lot of the process has luck involved. You just gotta do your best and forget the rest ;)

For those who have submitted a secondary already, are your letter of recommendations/references documented under the "document status" page? I sent the LORs i wanted to send to MCG through AMCAS weeks ago and submitted my secondary last week, but there is nothing listed under references. I know for some schools they don't upload them until after your secondary is submitted so if this is the case I'll give it a few more days before contacting the admissions office.

For those who have submitted a secondary already, are your letter of recommendations/references documented under the "document status" page? I sent the LORs i wanted to send to MCG through AMCAS weeks ago and submitted my secondary last week, but there is nothing listed under references. I know for some schools they don't upload them until after your secondary is submitted so if this is the case I'll give it a few more days before contacting the admissions office.

Yeah I have been waiting for my references to update as well. You are not alone :)

Sent in my secondary over a week ago. Turning it in was free right?, cause i didn't have to pay anything once i hit the submit button

Sent in my secondary over a week ago. Turning it in was free right?, cause i didn't have to pay anything once i hit the submit button

Yup no secondary fee