2017-2018 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYIT-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!! NY campus!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OMFGGGG I GOT ACCEPTED!!!!! THANK YOU JESUSSSSSS!!!

WTH tho?? Admissions told us we wouldn't hear back till Thanksgiving but Dear God am I so Happy!!!!!

NY campus :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Accepted to NY! Does anyone know what the admissions rate for NYITCOM? Congrats to all!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted at the NY campus earlier today! congrats to everyone else!! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted to NY campus! Interviewed 8/29

Do they do silent rejections? complete since july 5th and nothin :-/ i would reach out but i'm not sure if that would be well recieved

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do they do silent rejections? complete since july 5th and nothin :-/ i would reach out but i'm not sure if that would be well recieved
They do not reject until the end of the season normally.

interviewed mid september. haven't heard back. hope they didnt skip over me

Just withdrew my II for the Arkansas campus. I hope it goes to someone still waiting on an II. Good luck to you guys.

AACOMAS submitted 7/12/17, verified 7/13/17

NYITCOM (NY campus) supplemental app submitted 7/24/17, complete 8/23/17 (was waiting on committee letter), II 9/5/17, interview date 9/19/17, accepted 10/16/17

I am so happy! This is my top DO choice!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted to NY campus yesterday, congrats everyone!!

I put no preference as my campus choice and I am interviewing at the ARK campus this week, does that mean I am just interviewing for that one, or do I vaguely remember reading that everyone who puts no preference interviews at the ark spot?

I put no preference as my campus choice and I am interviewing at the ARK campus this week, does that mean I am just interviewing for that one, or do I vaguely remember reading that everyone who puts no preference interviews at the ark spot?
I put no preference and ending up both interviewing and being accepted to Ark. I never heard a peep about NY. So I assume you're only being considered for ARK, But dont worry the Ar campus is awesome :) Hope you enjoy it

I put no preference and ending up both interviewing and being accepted to Ark. I never heard a peep about NY. So I assume you're only being considered for ARK, But dont worry the Ar campus is awesome :) Hope you enjoy it
I just assumed if you put 'no preference', they put you in the campus closest to you.

I just canceled my interview at Jonesboro for this Friday, hope it goes to one of you waiting in the wings. Best of luck to everyone interviewing!

does anyone know how nyit teaches their classes? like are they mandatory? will they be online as well as in person lectures?

Interview coming up this Friday (10/20) and am very excited to see the school and the surrounding areas of Jonesboro! If anyone has any neat places to visit or check out please let me know.

does anyone know how nyit teaches their classes? like are they mandatory? will they be online as well as in person lectures?
not sure about mandatory attendance but all lectures are recorded and available online.

Classes are “mandatory”, as in they say go, but you don’t have to. We live-stream lectures with NY here in AR, and often times the instructor is in NY. This week AR has the most live-lectures. Either way they are recorded and uploaded to our video library within ten minutes of the conclusion of class. Most lectures are at least vaguely similar to the previous years, so you can often view those the night before and be pretty well off. There are certain lectures/seminars that are swipe-in (with ID) and they track attendance for those, but you know what those are ahead of time. They also say business professional (or scrubs on lab days), but by the 3rd or 4th week nobody did. OMM and DPR labs are mandatory with sign-ins and OMM has quizzes at the beginning. Anatomy is “optional” but you’ll be there - trust me.

I'm glad you followed up on this in the way that you did. Here's why:
This school, the Jonesboro campus (and ARCOM in many ways), was brought here to serve a purpose. The idea is to produce physicians here in Arkansas (but more importantly, the Delta Region), train physicians here in Arkansas (again, Delta, and by way of a few new residencies funded through grants thanks to CMED), so that they stay here in the Arkansas (Delta). Because of this core idea, our rotation sites are currently here, in Arkansas. Typically we will be housed in a central location of decent size (Fayetteville, Little Rock, Jonesboro, Fort Smith) and plan on doing small, semi-frequent stints in rural locations as outreach to them. Many of us will do somewhat lengthy stints in rural areas to provide additional care and assistance to those populations. But the idea remains the same: the majority of our core rotations will be here in the Delta.

Where there is flexibility is with elective rotations, namely fourth year, which can (and should) function as "audition" rotations. These will ideally be in locations that have residency programs that we as students are interested in studying in. The hope is to get face time with these residencies, so that come Match time, they rank us higher than other prospective residents who they have not personally met because they not only see our quantitative data, but they actually know us from teaching us for 4-8 weeks. I'm from Kansas City, Missouri, myself, so with a handful of residency programs in my desired field there I could essentially "go home" during those audition rotations, but I am effectively there to audition, not to "go home." If I was from somewhere else, like some-odd-town Iowa, I would not really get to go home because why would my school approve me to go there if it doesn't offer a forward movement towards a particular residency and also does not lend itself to benefitting the Delta? The difference may be if it was a rural town, which effectively matches the mission of NYIT-COM Jonesboro even if it isn't in the Delta, but still less likely.

We have a student here from NYC. She asked this early on about the accessibility of NY rotation sites. They are possible, as they have already been vetted for the purpose of Old Westbury, but it won't necessarily be free-reign to sign up to go up there. If you're looking at more urban medicine, I encourage you to apply to urban-based schools. Understand that there is a correlation between the population surrounding the school and the mission of the school - the selected locations are not an accident.

It is also true that with each passing year options are increasing. But again, these options are strategic in one way or another, and would have to be well justified if they are outside of the parameters set by NYIT-COM here in Jonesboro. There is an extensive vetting process for new locations to be allowed, and it can be difficult to do on an individual basis. Remember that NYIT-COM is responsible for ensuring your rotations result in quality learning, so they have to be sure that the attending there are capable of properly teaching to a specific set of goals AND evaluating you along the way. That is a lot of trust to give to an individual/group of individuals, so it is not given lightly. And this all hinges on another thing: having a physician in your home town willing to go through this vetting process and the administrative nightmare that is the paperwork. That's why current residency programs are safer bets - they are already set up for all of that.

I believe I still have the current list of 3rd/4th year approved sites. Anyone interested can PM me and I can try to dig them up for you.

I hope my response does not come across rude or condescending, I just want to be sure the info is out there as explained to us current students.

Thank you so much for your posts, especially this one. It answered a lot of my questions in regard to being able to complete residency and hopefully serve in the area. Also, you have great writing skills!

QUESTION: Do you know of any nearby teaching hospitals that offer fellowships in Geriatrics?
Thanks in advance!

I'm interviewing at this school in 2 weeks time and am very excited - for all I've gathered so far, it is a great school and with a lot of potential...

Last edited:
Classes are “mandatory”, as in they say go, but you don’t have to. We live-stream lectures with NY here in AR, and often times the instructor is in NY. This week AR has the most live-lectures. Either way they are recorded and uploaded to our video library within ten minutes of the conclusion of class. Most lectures are at least vaguely similar to the previous years, so you can often view those the night before and be pretty well off. There are certain lectures/seminars that are swipe-in (with ID) and they track attendance for those, but you know what those are ahead of time. They also say business professional (or scrubs on lab days), but by the 3rd or 4th week nobody did. OMM and DPR labs are mandatory with sign-ins and OMM has quizzes at the beginning. Anatomy is “optional” but you’ll be there - trust me.
so almost all lectures are streamed from NY? are there no teachers in ARK?

so almost all lectures are streamed from NY? are there no teachers in ARK?

It really depends on the topic, to be honest. But logically there are 300+ students at the NY campus for each class and 120 in AR, so there will naturally be more resources at the established and larger location in Old Westbury. As for who is teaching what and where is the presenter from, it depends on the subject. Our biochemistry is dominated by one professor, whose mentor actually just received a Nobel Prize a week or two ago. He has been at the NY location for a few years, and obviously earned the teaching rights to our biochemistry coursework thus far. Anatomy lectures are split among anatomy faculty, of which there are also more of in NY. We have several of the lectures come from here, but most anatomy is done from NY. With physiology and genetics, our campus is dominating.

So as I said, logic would dictate that with the majority of students there and the established presence, most lectures have come from NY. I can say, however, that we have faculty in AR beyond capable in answering questions in person about lectures material presented from NY. Also, any time I have had a clarifying question so far I have been able to reach out to the presenter in NY and have my question addressed promptly, with instructors being more than willing to Skype for a more “face-to-face” feel. I have a friend and classmate in AR who has done this several times with NY-based professors and says they have been incredible.

Anyone coming to interview or considering NYIT-AR, if you ask those who have interviewed here or those of us who are currently here, you would find an overwhelming consensus stating that the people hired to work on this campus and incredible and dedicated to our success, and we have added to their ranks to the tune of 4 new hires for this campus specifically (for a frequently difficult subject matter, no less) in the last couple weeks. These are genuinely good and incredibly helpful people.

We are the newer, smaller campus located in an area that has only recently acquired the resources to educate and train physicians, but we are not lacking for those resources as it is and every day the discussion continues here, and more importantly within the community, about expanding on that.

As always, let me know if I can elaborate on anything. Here to help!

Thank you so much for your posts, especially this one. It answered a lot of my questions in regard to being able to complete residency and hopefully serve in the area. Also, you have great writing skills!

QUESTION: Do you know of any nearby teaching hospitals that offer fellowships in Geriatrics?
Thanks in advance!

I'm interviewing at this school in 2 weeks time and am very excited - for all I've gathered so far, it is a great school and with a lot of potential...

At this point in time I do not know of any in the immediate area with really any extensive Fellowship offerings. Local hospitals have just recently become true teaching hospitals with the institution of IM and FM residencies. Obviously there is constant expansion in terms of offerings, and with you being an applicant to begin your schooling next year (an assumption, adjust for truth), you will fortunately have the remainder of this academic year, 4 years of medical school, and likely 2 years following before this would be as issue (applying for Fellowship would occur in year 3 of FM residency, no?). So to that end, this may be a very real possibility in the area by the time everything comes up for you - there is certainly a need, but resources dictate all.

I actually have been putting a bug in the ears of the local institutions about pursuing certain GMEs based around some gauged interest in my own future and some shared goals of my classmates. These institutions are surprisingly intrigued by the idea, so it will be cool to see how everything shakes out. Being that everything is still fairly infantile in stage here, even your class will have a lot of control in establishing the identity of the NEA medical education environment. I know someone’s ears perked up with that idea, right?

Is it too late to apply with MCAT 498 (second try, but a 10 points increase within a month) and 3.67c and 3.57s GPA?

Is it too late to apply with MCAT 498 (second try, but a 10 points increase within a month) and 3.67c and 3.57s GPA?

I would say it is too late with that MCAT score. But tbh need to retake your MCAT and get at least above a 502 to be competitive, maybe even more. Your GPA is competitive but make sure to work on your MCAT.

Withdrew my interview from the Jonesboro campus, hopefully one of you gets it!!

They really need to bring the 10/03 decisions! I NEED IT :'(

I will be withdrawing my interview at the Jonesboro campus. I hope that it goes to one of you guys.

has anyone heard back from 9/13?
is it bad news if you haven't?

WARNING: Potentially sappy and cliche post ahead.

The only bad news you can receive from admissions is a rejection, and to be honest (and I know how it will sound coming from a current medical student) that being “bad news” is purely perspective.

Here at NYITCOM-AR we utilize a rolling admissions process. I can tell you that over the course of my application cycle, some people who interviewed in September did not get the “good news” until January while October interviewees heard back in November - and they are all happily enrolled here and doing well. Similarly, I have classmates who did not finally get the call until July. They had to cancel interviews for YOUR application cycle or back out of planned Master’s/Post-Bacc programs because they finally got the “good news” - and they are all happily enrolled here and doing well. People may get news who interviewed before you. People may get news who interviewed after you. This is the sometimes unfortunate reality of a rolling admissions process.

But what this means is that you are not out of the game until you receive the “bad news” message, or until this cycle officially and completely closes. I know what it can look like when you don’t hear back for months, but when you take a step back and put it into perspective I hope you can see that it is not a bad thing. Relax and enjoy the process. It is stressful, but you have to find peace in the process or it can consume you.

And then, even if after all that time, the news is not what you wanted to hear? Keep working at it. I have traditional medical student classmates and non-traditional medical student classmates. I have classmates who came right in, who completed a Master’s degree, who completed a couple years of research, who worked as nurses, etc. And while I cannot speak for all of them, everyone I have talked to says they are happily enrolled here and doing well. They’re excelling and working towards their dreams of being a doctor just like me.

And honestly, none of them care that they found out late or had to reapply because none of that matters once you get the call.

Also the admissions cycle is still young at this point in October, so yeah I wouldn’t worry all that much.

Reactions: 3 users
Still haven't heard anything from them and I was complete early July. Does that usually mean a rejection?

Still haven't heard anything from them and I was complete early July. Does that usually mean a rejection?
I was completed early July and JUST got an interview invite last week

Accepted to NY! Does anyone know what the admissions rate for NYITCOM? Congrats to all!

Congrats! 6% acceptance rate in 2015. From the stats the Associate Dean of Admissions gave us during our interview, this year I would say closer to 4%.

Ok. So I'm still on the high of good news, but it seems like the acceptance email says we have to submit a NONREFUNDABLE deposit of $1,5000 to NYITCOM (at least NY campus) in a month (by Nov 16th for me) if we want to secure our spot. I'm heavily considering NYITCOM but I still have interviews after Nov 16th, as I'm sure most of us do, and obviously will not hear back about those other possible acceptances by then. Someone please tell me that I'm wrong about the deposit deadline!

Ok. So I'm still on the high of good news, but it seems like the acceptance email says we have to submit a NONREFUNDABLE deposit of $1,5000 to NYITCOM (at least NY campus) in a month (by Nov 16th for me) if we want to secure our spot. I'm heavily considering NYITCOM but I still have interviews after Nov 16th, as I'm sure most of us do, and obviously will not hear back about those other possible acceptances by then. Someone please tell me that I'm wrong about the deposit deadline!
$15,000!!!?? :eek::eek::eek:

;)

I hope you mean 1500 lmao. But yeah you got a month. I went ahead and canceled most of my future DO IIs and I’m waiting in my last two decisions. Hope those schools aren’t your top schools

I hope you mean 1500 lmao. But yeah you got a month. I went ahead and cancelled most of my future DO IIs and I’m waiting in my last two decisions. Hope those schools aren’t your top schools

If you consider the fact that we are trying to build a class with a rolling admissions process the timeline and deposit make perfect sense. What it forces you to do is essentially express interest in our offer to you. By not making the deposit or outright rejecting the offer, we then have a seat to offer to another candidate and the possibility of making someone else’s day. It being non-refundable just ensures that you have to think about it critically before putting it down - since you can’t just pull out and get it back the hope is that you’ll be committed if you pay it. And yet, there is something to be said about having that security.

This is just my perspective, but in the grand scheme of things, the $1,500 deposit is a small fee to secure a spot in medical school while pursuing those other options if you so choose. As a member of this school I do have a bias, but I would hope you’re putting a deposit in because this school stuck out to you on interview day as it did for me. The realist in me understands that you will want to follow up on those interviews, and I actually would still advise it. Being able to compare our school to others will allow you to focus on the good aspects of each school and how they match with what is important to you. Most schools will preach total uniqueness, but the reality is that there are a lot of similarities. Isolating the unique factors of each school by seeing all the similarities can help you decide which school is the best fit. I went on several other interviews and had other acceptances after I paid my deposit here, but for me this school just prevailed in terms of my experience. Now here I am.

Regardless of what you decide to do, congratulations. Having the honor of making that choice is no small feat. For once on this journey being able to be the one to say “no” is kind of nice. Enjoy the process!