2017-2018 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYIT-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys I got an interview for Arkansas and it will be very expensive for me to go Sept 29 vs Nov 3. At minimum 500$ difference. Will it make a significant difference if I do Nov 3?
I don't think there is a difference, in my opinion (anyone who knows otherwise can chime in) If Nov 3rd is cheaper, do Nov 3rd.
P.S. my interview is also Nov 3rd. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, NYiTCOM - New York
IS applicant with a
Stats: LM~63
Secondary sent on: July 12th
Interview invite: 09/18 - scheduled for 10/03!

Good luck to all of us!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hi guys I got an interview for Arkansas and it will be very expensive for me to go Sept 29 vs Nov 3. At minimum 500$ difference. Will it make a significant difference if I do Nov 3?
In my experience interview dates don't account for any type of priority, I know people who interviewed early and got wait listed and people who didn't interview until spring at the same school and got in right away.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience interview dates don't account for any type of priority, I know people who interviewed early and got wait listed and people who didn't interview until spring at the same school and got in right away.
Just finished my interview

Hey guys, NYiTCOM - New York
IS applicant with a
Stats: 501, 3.42 cGPA and 3.34sGPA
Secondary sent on: July 12th
Interview invite: 09/18 - scheduled for 10/03!

Good luck to all of us!
Congrats! For the Old Westbury campus?

Hi guys,

I'm so sorry for my ignorance but I was wondering if they allow a pre-medical advisor's LOR rather than a non-science professor's? I've been looking everywhere and every time I try to call, they won't pick up. I'm interested in applying but I am a non-trad and have not taken a non-science course in years. (I have a DO LOR, 2 science professors, and a strong letter from a pre-medical advisor) Again, I'm sorry if this is not the right place to post this!

Hi guys,

I'm so sorry for my ignorance but I was wondering if they allow a pre-medical advisor's LOR rather than a non-science professor's? I've been looking everywhere and every time I try to call, they won't pick up. I'm interested in applying but I am a non-trad and have not taken a non-science course in years. (I have a DO LOR, 2 science professors, and a strong letter from a pre-medical advisor) Again, I'm sorry if this is not the right place to post this!
Ok this may be anecdotal but I got an interview without a LOR from a non-science professor

Reactions: 1 users
Ok this may be anecdotal but I got an interview without a LOR from a non-science professor
Thanks for responding! I also e-mailed them and am still waiting for their response. I'm hoping, since you did not have a non-science professor's LOR, that the LOR requirements listed aren't as strict as they seem.

Congrats on your II!

Thanks for responding! I also e-mailed them and am still waiting for their response. I'm hoping, since you did not have a non-science professor's LOR, that the LOR requirements listed aren't as strict as they seem.

Congrats on your II!
Thank you! And I can't really say for sure. I am also a non-trad and my supervisor wrote me a letter, in addition to 3 science letters, a committee letter, and 2 physician letters (MD & DO) so it could be that my supervisor letter subbed for a non science

Thank you! And I can't really say for sure. I am also a non-trad and my supervisor wrote me a letter, in addition to 3 science letters, a committee letter, and 2 physician letters (MD & DO) so it could be that my supervisor letter subbed for a non science
Oh, hm. I think your committee letter may have subbed in for your letters from professors. Either way, I'll definitely post back to let you guys know (for those who might be wondering as well) what they say once they e-mail me back!

Definitely rooting for you pb_kines, fellow non-trad and GoT fan haha.

Oh, hm. I think your committee letter may have subbed in for your letters from professors. Either way, I'll definitely post back to let you guys know (for those who might be wondering as well) what they say once they e-mail me back!

Definitely rooting for you pb_kines, fellow non-trad and GoT fan haha.
Same to you! Best of luck :)

Just got a response and they said they require a non-science professor and a substitution is not allowed. This means I can't apply here this cycle :( But good luck to all of you who are applying/have applied here!

Hi all. I know this varies for everyone, but does anyone have a range of how long it takes on average to be notified of an interview decision after you were complete? NYITCOM Admissions responded to my email on 9/22 when I contacted them to make sure they had received all my materials and they said I was complete, but it could have been sooner than that, as I submitted my supplemental on 9/10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like everyone is interviewing earlier than me ha. Has anyone got an interview invite for the 16-17 of November?

Hi all. I know this varies for everyone, but does anyone have a range of how long it takes on average to be notified of an interview decision after you were complete? NYITCOM Admissions responded to my email on 9/22 when I contacted them to make sure they had received all my materials and they said I was complete, but it could have been sooner than that, as I submitted my supplemental on 9/10.

I submitted my secondary 7/7, II came on 8/11, interview was on 9/15, they said decisions will be made in 6-8 weeks. I'm sure it could vary, but give it at least a month.

I was complete on 7/10 and still have not heard back from them. Called early September and they said had all of my materials and just to be patient. Wondering if they do silent rejections?

I submitted my secondary 7/7, II came on 8/11, interview was on 9/15, they said decisions will be made in 6-8 weeks. I'm sure it could vary, but give it at least a month.

Thank you for responding! I'm anxiously hoping for a II even though I was only complete sometime last week, LOL. How was your interview experience?

what did you guys talk about for your campus preference?

I have no preference, and I supported that by talking about how far I've moved from home, all the different states my family is spread out in, etc. it really depends on your unique situation

I chose the NY campus and talked about how I would really like to get involved at their Parkinson's research center (my undergrad is a BS in neurobiology) and the opportunity to do their unique DO/MS program in neuromusculoskeletal sciences (which now that I think about it could be offered at both campuses...oops).

Can someone who interviewed at the Jonesboro campus write about their experience, or better yet, can I DM someone who went through this interview already?

Reactions: 3 users
I was complete on 7/10 and still have not heard back from them. Called early September and they said had all of my materials and just to be patient. Wondering if they do silent rejections?
I have been wondering this myself...

II just now! Old Wesbury NY Campus. Complete 7/6

Reactions: 4 users
II at the NY campus about 2 hours ago! Complete on 9/21

Anyone else getting Pre-Soma emails from NYIT after not hearing anything from them since submitting secondary months ago :(

Reactions: 12 users
Anyone else getting Pre-Soma emails from NYIT after not hearing anything from them since submitting secondary months ago :(

The title "pre-admissions invitation" made my heart skip a beat. Someone there must like trolling neurotic premeds.

Has anyone had an interview who requested evaluation substitutions by the way? Judging by their reply it was hard to get a sense of how rigid they are about it.

Reactions: 4 users
The title "pre-admissions invitation" made my heart skip a beat. Someone there must like trolling neurotic premeds.

Has anyone had an interview who requested evaluation substitutions by the way? Judging by their reply it was hard to get a sense of how rigid they are about it.

I read your warning first and I still suffered a preventricular contraction. I hate that they do this.

someone wrote "admissions invite" in the subject line with a big grin on their face.

Reactions: 7 users
Seriously wanting to apply to this school. Would you chose it over KCU?

I got it even though I already interviewed there LOL :D :D

Did you guys receive complete emails? I don't think I got one except for the payment received email.

Did you guys receive complete emails? I don't think I got one except for the payment received email.
Nope, never got one. I called to confirm that I was complete with them to be safe.

if it makes you feel better I have been complete since 7/6 , first secondary I submitted and I just heard yesterday!! So, don't worry too much
Maybe there is hope after all! I also completed my application around that time and still have not heard anything 0_0...

II today at Arkansas campus, SS late August, complete mid September, LizzyM 64

Hey all! Quick question: Is the " Please describe how your personal characteristics, experiences and skills will uniquely contribute to NYITCOM’s diverse learning environment and mission." question more of a diversity essay or one focused on the school itself? I cannot decide to emphasize the "uniquely contribute" portion or the "diverse learning environment and mission" portion. Thanks!

Hey all! Quick question: Is the " Please describe how your personal characteristics, experiences and skills will uniquely contribute to NYITCOM’s diverse learning environment and mission." question more of a diversity essay or one focused on the school itself? I cannot decide to emphasize the "uniquely contribute" portion or the "diverse learning environment and mission" portion. Thanks!

I think it's asking what do you bring to the table and how does it fit with our atmosphere?

I responded to it as if it were asking "why you?". Correct or not, still interviewed.

Hi All,

I had my interview this past Friday and my goodness was it a great experience. The interviewers and students are so nice and answer all questions thoroughly. There were about 15 other interviewees during my session, we were called at random by one of four different faculty members for interviews after a 30min presentation on the school. Then we had an awesome tour by 3 MS2's.

The interview was not what I expected. It was 25 min (everyone else who was interviewed by my interviewer said he was pretty time-conscious, which I can attest to as well). Just 3 or 4 questions and then the rest of the time was if I had questions (so come with a lot of them!). That said, my interviewer made me feel super comfortable though I expected more questions like why NYITCOM, why DO, etc...

The Admissions Assistant Director let us know that they interview 1,000 of 7,000 applicants for a class about 300. We can expect to hear back within 2 months (before Thanksgiving). I didn't realize how much I wanted to come to this school till the interview, honestly.

Best of luck to everyone!

People keep saying "etc. etc." but I would like to know what "etc." means... This is my first interview and I'm not sure what kind of questions to expect besides "Why physician" "Why DO" "Why this school". Could anyone elaborate?

People keep saying "etc. etc." but I would like to know what "etc." means... This is my first interview and I'm not sure what kind of questions to expect besides "Why physician" "Why DO" "Why this school". Could anyone elaborate?
It's pretty much those questions, and then they'll ask you to elaborate on specific things said in your answer. Ex: "I have a history of physicians in my family." "Oh, who in your family? Did they support your decision to apply to medical school?"

I think it's asking what do you bring to the table and how does it fit with our atmosphere?

I responded to it as if it were asking "why you?". Correct or not, still interviewed.
OK thank you! That was how I approached it in the end. Congrats on the interview!!