2017-2018 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYIT-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Dam looks like they send them out every Friday... I've been complete for about a month now and honestly I'm very surprised I haven't received an interview with a LizzyM of 73 and hailing from Long Island...

Members don't see this ad :)
Dam looks like they send them out every Friday... I've been complete for about a month now and honestly I'm very surprised I haven't received an interview with a LizzyM of 73 and hailing from Long Island...
That is hard to believe, do you have any glaring gaps? Missing ECs or something?

Interviewwwwwwwwww yay completed early July.

Reactions: 1 users
That is hard to believe, do you have any glaring gaps? Missing ECs or something?
Ok so I messed up while copying and pasting activities from AMCAS and copied the same description for two different activities on my submitted AACOMAS. I was hoping it wouldn't be killer but it might be to my DO apps. whatever I always have next year if MD apps don't work out.

Don't be discouraged, I'm from Long Island as well and was complete for a month. Give them a little bit more time

Quick question, did anyone recently get an email telling you to check for any outstanding items that NYIT doesn't have yet?

Reactions: 2 users
Quick question, did anyone recently get an email telling you to check for any outstanding items that NYIT doesn't have yet?
+1
Hopefully it means we'll hear some positive news soon since my app was completed ages ago...

Yes, I called after to make sure everything was complete. I told them I was concerned after receiving an email telling me to check for anything outstanding when I have a confirmation email my secondary etc was complete. She confirmed all items were complete and the email was more of a general email saying that the interview season has started!

Members don't see this ad :)
+4. Seeing "interview" in a subject title makes me tachycardic >.>

Received an II earlier today! Complete 7/24, IS!

I got a "hey, you should apply to our school" email after being complete already.

I got excited when I saw an email from them too......ahhh :smack:

Reactions: 3 users
I got a "hey, you should apply to our school" email after being complete already.

I got excited when I saw an email from them too......ahhh :smack:
I got this email too! Didn't even apply here haha

I just finished the interview a few hours ago. It's super chill and the campus is wonderful. I was really pleasantly surprised.

Jonesboro or Old Westbury?
Any advice?
Jonesboro.

Just like be yourself. If you got an II, they just want to test your fit. the actual quote was something along the lines "If you made it here, we dont care about your stats"

Jonesboro.

Just like be yourself. If you got an II, they just want to test your fit. the actual quote was something along the lines "If you made it here, we dont care about your stats"

That's awesome! Thanks for the advice. Best of luck to you!

Didn't get an interview invite yet but didn't get that email either. Not sure if that means anything

Hey guys, I'm actually an OMS I here right now if you all have any particular questions. I remember this process vividly, so I'll be happy to be candid about my experiences throughout, including why I chose this school, curriculum format, testing schedule, faculty questions, etc.

Since I'm here and finally done with this process I may not get on here quite as frequently, but feel free to message me or ask questions in this thread and I'll answer as I can.

Hey guys, I'm actually an OMS I here right now if you all have any particular questions. I remember this process vividly, so I'll be happy to be candid about my experiences throughout, including why I chose this school, curriculum format, testing schedule, faculty questions, etc.

Since I'm here and finally done with this process I may not get on here quite as frequently, but feel free to message me or ask questions in this thread and I'll answer as I can.

Why did you choose this school? What is the testing schedule like?

Long post ahead:
As the above individual who interviewed here yesterday said, the look and feel of this campus surpassed every other campus I went to. When I was touring and interviewing, I was looking for a few things out of the campus and local area: (important to note: it is on an undergraduate campus, with undergraduate campus amenities like a cafe with meal plan, gyms, sports, etc.)
1. Quality hospital system, since rotations are typically local; Jonesboro has two, and NEA Baptist just built a new hospital 3.5 years ago that is incredible. One of the second year students here was first assist on a surgery this past summer with one of the local physicians - they care about your experience.
2. Local venues with which to shop, eat, or play in down time (mall, good food stores, restaurants, bowling alley, movie theatre, something); 70k population means a few things here. Within 1 mile we have a mall, restaurants of every ethnicity, plenty of grocery stores (Kroger, Wal-Mart, Target, Sam's, etc.), two bowling alleys (one of which hosted a PBA event a few months ago), and a move theatre. Little bit of everything.
3. Local gym or two that is affordable and has quality machines; Check, plus two on campus that are free to students.
4. Quality and affordable housing conveniently distanced from the school (primarily) as well as the rest of this list; I'm writing this from an apartment that is <5 minutes walk from the medical school, cafe, and gym on campus, that was built in May, with all utilities and whatnot included. Even has in-unit washing and drying for clothes, so no laundromat.
5. Strong community feel outside of the school; Small town feel with bigger town amenities, and anything that isn't here is in Memphis or Little Rock, which are not far away at all.
6. Excellent facilities that promote quality learning; The medical school was renovated last summer. Just look at the OMM lab - best I saw. Anatomy lab I would give the nod to some other schools over this one, but it is certainly not an issue.
7. Approachable faculty who are invested in teaching medicine instead of/second to research (but still offer many research opportunities to the students); A lot of the faculty here are actually really cool. Our Deans are great for small talk about life, the game, or whatever, and they are excellent with giving advice from their diverse paths to medicine (HPSP, for example). We participate in a faculty mentor program as well as a peer mentor program to take these interactions to the next level, and your mentors are actually engaged in what is going on.
8. Small class sizes; My class is 123 students. We do lectures together in the morning, but DPR (Doctor-Patient Relationship) is a group of 8-10, OMM is 28-32, and anatomy has 3 faculty for 8 cadaver groups. The faculty to student ratio for these is incredible, so you pretty much always have access for questions to ensure time is well spent in lab. We also start meeting simulated patients in the second week to familiarize ourselves with the medical interview, and we begin examinations on patients next week. We seem to do it early and often.
9. You get the idea - I wanted the dream school. The campus here is beautiful and we are definitely equipped to succeed here. All the benefits of an undergrad campus and more.

For the most part, this campus met and exceeded my expectations of it and met more of my criteria than literally every other school I went to. If you want specifics in any of these areas, just let me know.

As for the testing schedule:
Our first semester is Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine - basic sciences like everywhere else. During this semester we take three comprehensive exams, one every six weeks. Each comp exam is like a hard reset, so comp two does not cover twelve weeks of material necessarily (anatomy lectures build on previous knowledge, though, so that kind of thing would be fair game). This is the extent of my knowledge, but I know things change slightly next semester and moving forward.
Every two weeks between comprehensive exams we have mid-comps. These essentially cover the two weeks worth of lectures and serve as progress exams towards the comps.
Like comp exams, we have three anatomy practicals and three OMM practicals. We take them during comp weeks (six, twelve, and nineteen).
During comp week, the anatomy practical is performed on Tuesday. We get assigned a time to report to the lab, and we take the practical. Half of the class takes the OMM practical on Wednesday and half on Thursday, with the same system in place. We rotate each comp week, so the Wednesday group for comp one is the Thursday group for comp two. The entire class takes the lecture exam on Friday. There are no classes or labs during this week.
Basically:
W1: lectures and labs.
W2: lectures, labs, and Friday mid-comp over W1 and W2 lectures.
W3: lectures and labs.
W4: lectures, labs, and Friday mid-comp over W3 and W4 lectures.
W5: lectures and labs.
W6: Tuesday Anatomy practical, W/R OMM practical, Friday comp exam over W1-5.
Again, any specific questions can be asked and will be answered.
W7: start above process again.

Reactions: 7 users
Jonesboro.

I want to echo this. If you get an II, then your numbers are good enough. Come onto campus with this idea in mind: "You belong here."

The interview day is not geared to remove you from contention. It isn't like a test to see if you qualify. They wouldn't waste time trying to sell you on student life if that was the case. They are bringing you here to see that the person sitting in front of them having a panic attack is the same as the one on paper, and to give you an opportunity to show the individual traits that your transcripts don't and can't show.

With that said, remember that doctors are professionals. Shake hands, use "Sir" and "Ma'am," and thank your interviewer for their time.

And if you see any of the students around the school while you're around, feel free to talk to us. I've met very few people here who wouldn't be ready and willing to talk for a minute, even if we are busy. Keep in mind that just because we are medical students doesn't mean we don't remember what it was like to go through this. Plus the student administration can talk about student life all they want - they are not students here and cannot have a true account for what it is like. So ask questions.

To echo @DoctorPose this school blew my socks off when I came to interview, and so far has been great through the first three weeks. Feel free to post or message any questions you might have and I’ll try to answer as many as I can from my perspective as an OMS I.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I felt like everything said above was made super apparent by my visit, and honestly I'd probably end up going here if I get accepted. Now I just gotta wait :/

Long post ahead:
As the above individual who interviewed here yesterday said, the look and feel of this campus surpassed every other campus I went to. When I was touring and interviewing, I was looking for a few things out of the campus and local area: (important to note: it is on an undergraduate campus, with undergraduate campus amenities like a cafe with meal plan, gyms, sports, etc.)
1. Quality hospital system, since rotations are typically local; Jonesboro has two, and NEA Baptist just built a new hospital 3.5 years ago that is incredible. One of the second year students here was first assist on a surgery this past summer with one of the local physicians - they care about your experience.
2. Local venues with which to shop, eat, or play in down time (mall, good food stores, restaurants, bowling alley, movie theatre, something); 70k population means a few things here. Within 1 mile we have a mall, restaurants of every ethnicity, plenty of grocery stores (Kroger, Wal-Mart, Target, Sam's, etc.), two bowling alleys (one of which hosted a PBA event a few months ago), and a move theatre. Little bit of everything.
3. Local gym or two that is affordable and has quality machines; Check, plus two on campus that are free to students.
4. Quality and affordable housing conveniently distanced from the school (primarily) as well as the rest of this list; I'm writing this from an apartment that is <5 minutes walk from the medical school, cafe, and gym on campus, that was built in May, with all utilities and whatnot included. Even has in-unit washing and drying for clothes, so no laundromat.
5. Strong community feel outside of the school; Small town feel with bigger town amenities, and anything that isn't here is in Memphis or Little Rock, which are not far away at all.
6. Excellent facilities that promote quality learning; The medical school was renovated last summer. Just look at the OMM lab - best I saw. Anatomy lab I would give the nod to some other schools over this one, but it is certainly not an issue.
7. Approachable faculty who are invested in teaching medicine instead of/second to research (but still offer many research opportunities to the students); A lot of the faculty here are actually really cool. Our Deans are great for small talk about life, the game, or whatever, and they are excellent with giving advice from their diverse paths to medicine (HPSP, for example). We participate in a faculty mentor program as well as a peer mentor program to take these interactions to the next level, and your mentors are actually engaged in what is going on.
8. Small class sizes; My class is 123 students. We do lectures together in the morning, but DPR (Doctor-Patient Relationship) is a group of 8-10, OMM is 28-32, and anatomy has 3 faculty for 8 cadaver groups. The faculty to student ratio for these is incredible, so you pretty much always have access for questions to ensure time is well spent in lab. We also start meeting simulated patients in the second week to familiarize ourselves with the medical interview, and we begin examinations on patients next week. We seem to do it early and often.
9. You get the idea - I wanted the dream school. The campus here is beautiful and we are definitely equipped to succeed here. All the benefits of an undergrad campus and more.

For the most part, this campus met and exceeded my expectations of it and met more of my criteria than literally every other school I went to. If you want specifics in any of these areas, just let me know.

As for the testing schedule:
Our first semester is Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine - basic sciences like everywhere else. During this semester we take three comprehensive exams, one every six weeks. Each comp exam is like a hard reset, so comp two does not cover twelve weeks of material necessarily (anatomy lectures build on previous knowledge, though, so that kind of thing would be fair game). This is the extent of my knowledge, but I know things change slightly next semester and moving forward.
Every two weeks between comprehensive exams we have mid-comps. These essentially cover the two weeks worth of lectures and serve as progress exams towards the comps.
Like comp exams, we have three anatomy practicals and three OMM practicals. We take them during comp weeks (six, twelve, and nineteen).
During comp week, the anatomy practical is performed on Tuesday. We get assigned a time to report to the lab, and we take the practical. Half of the class takes the OMM practical on Wednesday and half on Thursday, with the same system in place. We rotate each comp week, so the Wednesday group for comp one is the Thursday group for comp two. The entire class takes the lecture exam on Friday. There are no classes or labs during this week.
Basically:
W1: lectures and labs.
W2: lectures, labs, and Friday mid-comp over W1 and W2 lectures.
W3: lectures and labs.
W4: lectures, labs, and Friday mid-comp over W3 and W4 lectures.
W5: lectures and labs.
W6: Tuesday Anatomy practical, W/R OMM practical, Friday comp exam over W1-5.
Again, any specific questions can be asked and will be answered.
W7: start above process again.

Thank you for the information and taking the time to thoroughly answer my questions. You've honestly got me even more excited to interview here and to hopefully attend this program. The website did not give me enough information about the Jonesboro campus, so this really helped! Again, thank you!

I have been complete for over a month and a half, should I send an email of inquiry?

Last edited:
II for Jonesboro campus. I called to schedule a date but no one picked up so probably try again later
Complete 6/28
OOS
EDIT: Got in touch with someone. Interviewing Nov 3rd!

Last edited:
II for Jonesboro campus. I called to schedule a date but no one picked up so probably try again later
Complete 6/28
OOS

I called them earlier as well and no one picked up. I will call again later this afternoon! Good luck to all.

I got this email too! Didn't even apply here haha
+1. Kinda laughed when I got this email because they did not accept any students within 1000 miles of my location in 2015. I also get a kick out of the Wayne State emails. Why would an MD school interview an applicant with a 3.1 GPA, 505 MCAT, OOS and ORM?

Interview at Jonesboro September 29! So excited!!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
I must have called just a few minutes before you. I was surprised when they offered September 29 or October 20th and the person I spoke to said they interviewing every Friday. They seem to really fill up quick so if you get that email call right away. I'm so stoked, my grandma lives near there yessssssss gramssss

Congrats on getting interviews! If you guys are flying down the easiest thing is to fly to Memphis and then rent a car. The drive from Memphis is only about an hour!

Hi guys! Does anyone know what the avg MCAT score is for this program and if they prefer IS?

Hi guys! Does anyone know what the avg MCAT score is for this program and if they prefer IS?
I am OOS and 500 of MCAT and went to interview last Friday...I think this can answer your question.... good luck

I am OOS and 500 of MCAT and went to interview last Friday...I think this can answer your question.... good luck

Thoughts on the interview? Any questions that were just straight out of left field, or is it the standard, why physician, why DO, why here?

Btw. I loved the drive from Memphis to Jonesboro