2017-2018 Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an email about the rural pathway.. Like salt in the wound after being waitlisted. :unsure:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I received an email saying that my decision was mailed yesterday. I haven't received a waitlist email...not feeling good about this after seeing these rejections.
I mean that's just applying to med school right? gotta deal with a lot of hate, but one school somewhere will love ya lol

I received an email saying that my decision was mailed yesterday. I haven't received a waitlist email...not feeling good about this after seeing these rejections.

I'm honestly surprised that I got rejected. I'm from the area, have scores higher than their averages, wish to stay in Ohio for residency, and want to go into OBGYN which is part of the primary care that they rave about. I thought the interviews went well, but I guess I still wasn't enough.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm honestly surprised that I got rejected. I'm from the area, have scores higher than their averages, wish to stay in Ohio for residency, and want to go into OBGYN which is part of the primary care that they rave about. I thought the interviews went well, but I guess I still wasn't enough.

Similar scenario here. Born and raised Ohioan. Stayed here for college. 3.5+ GPA and 510+ mcat. At my interview, I expressed interest in internal medicine in Ohio. Thought interviews went well, but now I'm doubting myself. Mail comes at 3pm. Will report back!

Yield protection maybe? I'm honestly really surprised for you too. My stats are way lower than yours and I'm OOS, like very OOS (I'm from the west coast). Are you thinking of maybe contacting them at the end of the cycle to better understand why?

On the same note, with your stats I am confident that you will get in elsewhere :)

Yield protection maybe? I'm honestly really surprised for you too. My stats are way lower than yours and I'm OOS, like very OOS (I'm from the west coast). Are you thinking of maybe contacting them at the end of the cycle to better understand why?

On the same note, with your stats I am confident that you will get in elsewhere :)

They wouldn't yield protect post-interview considering how large their waitlist is. I think they were just looking for something different. It's so hard to speculate. No biggie, @poorcollegestudent, you will absolutely get an acceptance and be a stellar doc! Best of luck.

Did anyone notice that in the email they said they accepted over 100 people off the waitlist last year? Based off of previous threads I was under the assumption that the waitlist capped at 100 people..

Similar scenario here. Born and raised Ohioan. Stayed here for college. 3.5+ GPA and 510+ mcat. At my interview, I expressed interest in internal medicine in Ohio. Thought interviews went well, but now I'm doubting myself. Mail comes at 3pm. Will report back!

Please do! I hope you get in!

Thanks, that's so sweet of you to say. I'm sure you'll be taken off the waitlist or get accepted somewhere else as well!

They wouldn't yield protect post-interview considering how large their waitlist is. I think they were just looking for something different. It's so hard to speculate. No biggie, @poorcollegestudent, you will absolutely get an acceptance and be a stellar doc! Best of luck.

So true, I wish they were more specific with their rejections, but oh well. Thanks so much for your supportive words :) I'm crossing my fingers for you!

anyone get an acceptance by mail or phone call today?

Members don't see this ad :)

Medical school applications is just weird. sometimes nothing you could possibly control leads to a rejection. like, maybe the interviewer you had didn't rave about you enough for them to accept you. They could have said, " This person is a great candidate, and I recommend them for acceptance" while another interviewer said, " THIS OTHER PERSON IS AMAZING!!! ACCEPT THEM OR WE LOSE OUT BIG TIME!" and well.... the rest is history lol. ( Least this is what I tell myself so my ego isn't crushed)

I got rejected as well. Similar story as yours too @poorcollegestudent , higher stats, primary care, wanting to stay local. During my interview, one of my interviewers told me that he "looks forward to seeing me on campus". I called the admissions office and i was told my interviewers had "universally positive" things to say about my application. So I have no idea what happened in the end. Ive gotten accepted elsewhere but I reallyyyyy wanted NEOMED.

I received an acceptance packet in the mail yesterday! IS

So while taking a shower (ofcourse), I came up with a idea that may be true or completely false on how they do acceptances/ waitlists... They interview roughly 232 people, but only accept a very small amount. I think they simply choose people they want to waitlist, and then select the top tier people for acceptances/ rejections. Since quite a few people have above average stats that got rejected, and I'm assuming we all interviewed well (both my interviewers seemed to like me) they probably do a lottery system for who gets accepted/ rejected. So they said they'll accept 15 people this cycle, and the rest will get waitlisted/rejected, and they probably had like 50+ people they wanted to select for acceptance, but since there's only 15ish spots, they probably drew names out of a hat or something lol. Idk though.... its the only way it makes sense to me that theyll reject people with such high stats, and especially instate people with high stats, primary care focus...etc. If only there was someone on an admissions committee here

So while taking a shower (ofcourse), I came up with a idea that may be true or completely false on how they do acceptances/ waitlists... They interview roughly 232 people, but only accept a very small amount. I think they simply choose people they want to waitlist, and then select the top tier people for acceptances/ rejections. Since quite a few people have above average stats that got rejected, and I'm assuming we all interviewed well (both my interviewers seemed to like me) they probably do a lottery system for who gets accepted/ rejected. So they said they'll accept 15 people this cycle, and the rest will get waitlisted/rejected, and they probably had like 50+ people they wanted to select for acceptance, but since there's only 15ish spots, they probably drew names out of a hat or something lol. Idk though.... its the only way it makes sense to me that theyll reject people with such high stats, and especially instate people with high stats, primary care focus...etc. If only there was someone on an admissions committee here

No.. During the welcome presentation, the admissions director explained that before you even interview, you are assigned a score (based off your primary and secondary app) that counts towards 50% of your overall score. The other 50% comes from the interview. Your overall score determines your ranking. My guess is that they accept based off the ranking - otherwise what is the point of using a rank system?

No.. During the welcome presentation, the admissions director explained that before you even interview, you are assigned a score (based off your primary and secondary app) that counts towards 50% of your overall score. The other 50% comes from the interview. Your overall score determines your ranking. My guess is that they accept based off the ranking - otherwise what is the point of using a rank system?
Yeah, but the ranking is from 1-3 if remember correctly so it's pretty clear there will be alot of people with the same ranking. How do they decide from there?

Yeah, but the ranking is from 1-3 if remember correctly so it's pretty clear there will be alot of people with the same ranking. How do they decide from there?

I have a similar LizzyM score to yours, interviewed in November, and was waitlisted on 11/20.

They revealed how they rank at your interview?

So you're saying that instead of placing the highly ranked applicants on the waitlist, they just draw from a hat cuz there are just too many highly ranked applicants? And those who were unlucky and were not drawn just get rejected? Instead of earning a place on the waitlist?

K...

This site is not for speculating how they pick who goes where. Please post only useful and meaningful information that will help those in the process get through it.

This site is not for speculating how they pick who goes where. Please post only useful and meaningful information that will help those in the process get through it.

Dude relax, they can speculate all they want. It is all in goodwill and there is no need to get all huffy over it.

Was today the last day of interviews?

Interviewed here today. There were about 60 people total. My interviews were really causal and enjoyable which was pleasant with it being my first interview. There were also more OOS interviewees than I was expecting since the school only accepts about 12 OOS students to the traditional track. Overall everybody seemed really nice and friendly. They have an emphasis on primary care but said that you are free to go into whatever field you choose (one interviewer was an alumni who specialized and she said many people do at the school). I think I did well but hard to say with only 35 traditional MD spots available.

Interviewed here today. There were about 60 people total. My interviews were really causal and enjoyable which was pleasant with it being my first interview. There were also more OOS interviewees than I was expecting since the school only accepts about 12 OOS students to the traditional track. Overall everybody seemed really nice and friendly. They have an emphasis on primary care but said that you are free to go into whatever field you choose (one interviewer was an alumni who specialized and she said many people do at the school). I think I did well but hard to say with only 35 traditional MD spots available.

I love this school so much. Glad you had a good time and thanks for sharing!

Hope you hear back soon! Keep us updated :)

I love this school so much. Glad you had a good time and thanks for sharing!

Hope you hear back soon! Keep us updated :)
They said they meet every 3rd week of the month (I think Friday) but have to skip this month for the holiday so said we should hear before groundhog day. They said that they send physical letters because they see it being respectful because interviewees traveled from all over to be there. I thought that was really nice of them and the dean hand signs each acceptance letter which shows how much pride they put into their students and the school.

They said they meet every 3rd week of the month (I think Friday) but have to skip this month for the holiday so said we should hear before groundhog day. They said that they send physical letters because they see it being respectful because interviewees traveled from all over to be there. I thought that was really nice of them and the dean hand signs each acceptance letter which shows how much pride they put into their students and the school.

Makes sense! My waitlist letter was hand signed which I appreciated.

Does NEOmed accept updates post interview/decision? I was waitlisted and am curious if I can update!

Does NEOmed accept updates post interview/decision? I was waitlisted and am curious if I can update!

Somebody asked about updates during my interview day and the dean said no, because our score will already have been assigned and it wouldn't be fair to take into consideration new information.

I dont think so. I asked about updates during my interview and they said they normally dont take them besides you could have taken a paper copy to the interview day.

Somebody asked about updates during my interview day and the dean said no, because our score will already have been assigned and it wouldn't be fair to take into consideration new information.
Do you know how the pre interview score is determined? If one were to get an II soon after submitting, would that possibly mean a higher score (not taking into account the interview day score)?

Thanks guys! Bummer I had grade updates I wanted to give but oh well :)

Do you know how the pre interview score is determined?

Nope! But I would guess some kind of combination that is reflective of our primary app, secondary app, stats, etc. He said that 50% of our score is determined before we even interview. And that the other 50% is determined by the 2 interviews.

If one were to get an II soon after submitting, would that possibly mean a higher score (not taking into account the interview day score)?

Possibly! I received an II two days after file review completion so I would hope so, but then again I got waitlisted lol. I suppose all we can do is speculate. :)

And side note- GUYS. I'm literally dying for May to get here. I love this school so much and I wanna go here so badly. I even dreamt about it the other night LOL.

Nope! But I would guess some kind of combination that is reflective of our primary app, secondary app, stats, etc. He said that 50% of our score is determined before we even interview. And that the other 50% is determined by the 2 interviews.

Possibly! I received an II two days after file review completion so I would hope so, but then again I got waitlisted lol. I suppose all we can do is speculate. :)

And side note- GUYS. I'm literally dying for May to get here. I love this school so much and I wanna go here so badly. I even dreamt about it the other night LOL.
Im from the area and submitted kinda late (mid september) and it took like 2 weeks for me to get my II (even tho I had email problems and didnt get it until early nov) so I hope thats the case. I have no other II so not sure if my app is solid, so I just assumed my pre interview score was low if Ive gotten no love elsewhere too.

Im from the area and submitted kinda late (mid september) and it took like 2 weeks for me to get my II (even tho I had email problems and didnt get it until early nov) so I hope thats the case. I have no other II so not sure if my app is solid, so I just assumed my pre interview score was low if Ive gotten no love elsewhere too.

Aw! NEOMED was my first MD interview invite too. :love:

You're hearing back in January right? Best of luck to you!! Keep us posted. :)

Aw! NEOMED was my first MD interview invite too. :love:

You're hearing back in January right? Best of luck to you!! Keep us posted. :)
Yeah end of January. My second interviewer was really cool and said he would give me and A on the interview if he could. Not sure about the first one because I was kinda nervous and felt like I was rambling.

They said they meet every 3rd friday except december because of break, right? Also do they send the letter to both the permanent and primary address in amcas? I have mine both listed as my parents cuz Im afraid I wouldnt get it to my apartment but I kinda wanna open the letter myself instead of having my parents text me the decisions haha

It seems like no one has been accepted to this school? It's either rejection or waitlist? Do they not tell you that you are accepted until June?

It seems like no one has been accepted to this school? It's either rejection or waitlist? Do they not tell you that you are accepted until June?
They accept 23 instate and 12 out of state outright so its pretty hard. The other spots are for the BS/MD so they WL people to see is those students meet the requirement to get in. If they dont have a 3.7 by the end of the sophomore year semester or a high enough MCAT, they get the boot from the program and that opens up more traditional spots. But to start they have 35 traditional spots and they interview approx 270 students

They accept 23 instate and 12 out of state outright so its pretty hard. The other spots are for the BS/MD so they WL people to see is those students meet the requirement to get in. If they dont have a 3.7 by the end of the sophomore year semester or a high enough MCAT, they get the boot from the program and that opens up more traditional spots. But to start they have 35 traditional spots and they interview approx 270 students
This wasn't very clear on interview day for me. So they accept some right away and then the rest after they see how many more spots they have available?

This wasn't very clear on interview day for me. So they accept some right away and then the rest after they see how many more spots they have available?
Yeah. They said 35 spots initially BUT more open up if the BS/MD students dont meet the GPA/MCAT/course requirements. Thats why they have decent WL movement in June/July. Students get their MCAT back and may not make the cut.

Placed on the alternate list. Interviewed 12/5 and the second interviewer said there is no way I wouldn't get in.....looks like he was wrong haha

Placed on the alternate list. Interviewed 12/5 and the second interviewer said there is no way I wouldn't get in.....looks like he was wrong haha
keep your head up there is historically a lot of movement on the alternate list.