2017-2018 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (Rowan-SOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry I just saw this! I'm interviewing next week and feeling nervous knowing that the class size is full as of now. Going to go in and be myself though and hope there is some movement as everyone has been saying! That said, is a HL a guaranteed spot in next year's class? Or are there contingencies to be met? Sorry for all the questions, thanks for your answers in advance!
A HL spot is a guaranteed spot in next year's class, if this years class doesn't open any seats. So if you are placed on the HL, you were accepted to medical school and 100% will be going to medical school, just a matter of when.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Sorry I just saw this! I'm interviewing next week and feeling nervous knowing that the class size is full as of now. Going to go in and be myself though and hope there is some movement as everyone has been saying! That said, is a HL a guaranteed spot in next year's class? Or are there contingencies to be met? Sorry for all the questions, thanks for your answers in advance!

Hl is a guaranteed spot for next year, correct!

A HL spot is a guaranteed spot in next year's class, if this years class doesn't open any seats. So if you are placed on the HL, you were accepted to medical school and 100% will be going to medical school, just a matter of when.

I’ve taught them so well, they make me so proud! :love:

On a serious note, they’re both correct assuming that nothing has changed between his year and last year. I was hold listed last cycle and didn’t make it into the class so got rolled over into the class of 2022. Something for which I am very grateful!

If there was no guarntee of admission pending room in the class opening up, there’d really be no distinction between the hold list and waitlist. Again, this is all contingent upon nothing having changed between this year and last year.

In either case, interviewing now doesn’t mean you can’t get into the class without being placed on the hold list.

Goodluck!

On a serious note, they’re both correct assuming that nothing has changed between his year and last year. I was hold listed last cycle and didn’t make it into the class so got rolled over into the class of 2022. Something for which I am very grateful!

If there was no guarntee of admission pending room in the class opening up, there’d really be no distinction between the hold list and waitlist. Again, this is all contingent upon nothing having changed between this year and last year.

In either case, interviewing now doesn’t mean you can’t get into the class without being placed on the hold list.

Goodluck!

Lmao thanks! And yah nothing has changed, I asked the dean watkins when she told me the clas is full.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lmao thanks! And yah nothing has changed, I asked the dean watkins when she told me the clas is full.

I guess this goes back to my original question as to why exactly continue to send secondaries (interviews I can understand). Is there really that much movement in the class that they feel interviewing out through March with a full class in January still means most people interviewing after a full class end up coming to Rowan or get wait listed?

Goodluck!

So you're basically saying that those of who interview within the next weeks AT BEST will be put on the hold list, barring a large amount of students declining their acceptance.

I guess this goes back to my original question as to why exactly continue to send secondaries (interviews I can understand). Is there really that much movement in the class that they feel interviewing out through March with a full class in January still means most people interviewing after a full class end up coming to Rowan or get wait listed?

So you're basically saying that those of who interview within the next weeks AT BEST will be put on the hold list, barring a large amount of students declining their acceptance.

I don’t mean to be rude, but all I can tell you is what I know and I wish I knew more or could give either of you a definite answer. Despite whatever you may believe, there is a significant amount of movement based on prior years between now and the beginning of the term. I can’t tell you for certain if and when people will withdrawal their acceptance but what I can tell you is that a lot of those accepted are probably holding on to a few acceptances in addition to Rowan. Quite a few may be holding on to MD program acceptances in addition to DO acceptances. You may or may not know that by March, those who have been accepted into any MD program are REQUIRED to notify the school of their decision which more often than not, results in a good amount of movement on the hold list.

I can’t answer why the school would continue to send secondaries. I’m not aware that they do considering I didn’t wait until January/February to submit a primary.

I also did not say that that would be the best case scenario would be that anyone interviewing within the next few weeks would only be granted a spot on the hold list. In fact, I elude to the fact that some people may be lucky enough to get accepted considering I’ve been through it and interviewed with people who had been accepted and not hold listed like I was.

Like I said, I wish I had more information and I wish I could give definite answers. Take what I say with a grain of salt, but also know that I’ve been through the ringer and I know a thing or two about being hold listed and accepted.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

I don’t mean to be rude, but all I can tell you is what I know and I wish I knew more or could give either of you a definite answer. Despite whatever you may believe, there is a significant amount of movement based on prior years between now and the beginning of the term. I can’t tell you for certain if and when people will withdrawal their acceptance but what I can tell you is that a lot of those accepted are probably holding on to a few acceptances in addition to Rowan. Quite a few may be holding on to MD program acceptances in addition to DO acceptances. You may or may not know that by March, those who have been accepted into any MD program are REQUIRED to notify the school of their decision which more often than not, results in a good amount of movement on the hold list.

I can’t answer why the school would continue to send secondaries. I’m not aware that they do considering I didn’t wait until January/February to submit a primary.

I also did not say that that would be the best case scenario would be that anyone interviewing within the next few weeks would only be granted a spot on the hold list. In fact, I elude to the fact that some people may be lucky enough to get accepted considering I’ve been through it and interviewed with people who had been accepted and not hold listed like I was.

Like I said, I wish I had more information and I wish I could give definite answers. Take what I say with a grain of salt, but also know that I’ve been through the ringer and I know a thing or two about being hold listed and accepted.

You're not being rude! I feel terrible for asking so many questions. Like you said and others have said, I'm going to do my best either way. I figure they know what they're doing and whatever happens, the only thing I can control is how I do during my interview.

Thank you so much for your guidance, everyone on this thread has been super helpful. Will keep everyone updated!

Reactions: 1 user

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP! Another questions, unrelated....how would you describe the interview? Was it one on one? What kinds of questions were you asked?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP! Another questions, unrelated....how would you describe the interview? Was it one on one? What kinds of questions were you asked?
interview was super conversational! be prepared for the obvious Qs (why med, why osteopathic medicine, why rowan, experiences in med) and Qs relating to your application (grade trends, extracurrics). everything is very relaxed, no curveball questions

Reactions: 5 users

I agree with everyone else, the interview is very laid back and relax so dont stress about it. I personally was just asked why med, why DO, and a few questions about my app. Just be calm and be yourself to be honest.

I had two interviewers, one a member of the faculty and another that was a staff member of what was then Kennedy Hospital. Oddly enough, I was never really asked why DO and I actually had to tell them why I wanted to be an Osteopathic Physician near the end of the interview. Time will certainly fly by and I'm sure you'll see why, but don't forget to get the major points across that you deem important. You only get one first impression and keep in mind that whoever interviews you is going to be your advocate once the committee meets to discuss the interviews! If you think there's something that wasn't covered that needs to be brought to the attention of the interviewer(s), don't be afraid to bring it up! Just be yourself, you'll do fine.

You've made it this far, you're going to be a Medical Student before you know it.

Reactions: 1 users
I had two interviewers, one a member of the faculty and another that was a staff member of what was then Kennedy Hospital. Oddly enough, I was never really asked why DO and I actually had to tell them why I wanted to be an Osteopathic Physician near the end of the interview. Time will certainly fly by and I'm sure you'll see why, but don't forget to get the major points across that you deem important. You only get one first impression and keep in mind that whoever interviews you is going to be your advocate once the committee meets to discuss the interviews! If you think there's something that wasn't covered that needs to be brought to the attention of the interviewer(s), don't be afraid to bring it up! Just be yourself, you'll do fine.

You've made it this far, you're going to be a Medical Student before you know it.

Thanks for your insights! How did you manage to bring up why DO naturally if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks for your insights! How did you manage to bring up why DO naturally if you don't mind sharing.

They asked at the end of the interview if there was anything else I wanted to tell them about myself and I literally asked, “Don’t you want to know why I want to peruse osteopathic medicine over allopathic?” They both had to literally sit back down and apologized repeatedly for not asking. I just took it as a good sign lol.

Members don't see this ad :)

Interview was quite conversational and stress free (though i guess that varies from person to person). My interview was one on one. One of the questions I was asked by my interviewer was what I would want him to tell the admissions committee about me since he'd be presenting me to the committee. Good luck!

Honestly I felt like the interviewer was very much on my side. There was no grilling or trying to trip me up; he genuinely just wanted to get to know me so that he could be more confident in reccomending me to the admissions committee. Of course the expected interview questions were asked, but it was really more about testing my fit with the school than trying to rule me out.

The admissions dean outright told us that just being invited for an interview means that they already believe you’re extremely qualified and they want to have you there. So if you have an interview at Rowan, I would say to just relax, be yourself, and know that the school wants to have you there just as much as you’d like to be there.

Also, don’t worry about all of that hold list talk. The admissions staff knows how many students they can safely accept at one time, and what kind hold/wait list movement they expect. They have said they don’t interview for the waitlist, so if you have an interview, it’s means they believe they will have a spot for you. And like others have said, historically, they are not done sending out IIs yet.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone,
I really need your advice. I was interviewed on 12/9 and I thought that the interview went really well. I was told by the interviewer that I will be a great match for the school. As suggested by the interviewer I called a month later to find out a status of my application and I was told that my interview date was not discussed by the committee yet. I was advised to call in a week. When I called in one week and a half I was told that the committee meeting took place that day and that they were planning to make calls the following week (which is this week). I know at least 6 other people who received a response from Rowan between Jan 6th and Jan 20th. I still haven’t heard from them. Rowan was my top choice; therefore, I would like to believe that I still have a chance. But objectively speaking, if they wanted to accept me they would already called me, right? I don’t want to be that annoying person who calls them every two weeks. I really don’t know what to do... do you guys think there still be a tiny chance that they would get back to me?

Hi everyone,
I really need your advice. I was interviewed on 12/9 and I thought that the interview went really well. I was told by the interviewer that I will be a great match for the school. As suggested by the interviewer I called a month later to find out a status of my application and I was told that my interview date was not discussed by the committee yet. I was advised to call in a week. When I called in one week and a half I was told that the committee meeting took place that day and that they were planning to make calls the following week (which is this week). I know at least 6 other people who received a response from Rowan between Jan 6th and Jan 20th. I still haven’t heard from them. Rowan was my top choice; therefore, I would like to believe that I still have a chance. But objectively speaking, if they wanted to accept me they would already called me, right? I don’t want to be that annoying person who calls them every two weeks. I really don’t know what to do... do you guys think there still be a tiny chance that they would get back to me?

Current second year here! I think you still have a chance and if you haven't heard back by the late afternoon, I would give a call and ask them when they would suggest you try reaching out to them again. One option is to write a letter of intent since this is your top choice. Also, I was told by admissions that if you are rejected or waitlisted, you should expect to see a change in your status in your applicant portal prior to receiving an e-mail (though you will receive a phone call prior to the status change on the portal if you are on hold list or accepted). I hope this helps. Good luck! Send me a direct message if you have any other concerns I might be able to address. Hang in there!

Hi everyone,

Have they called you yet? No.

Do they still have to call you? Yes.

Seems like there’s still a chance to me. You don’t know you haven’t been accepted until the explicitly tell you that’s the case. Considering you haven’t heard anything, there’s still a chance. I called every two weeks until I got accepted. Like I’ve said in previous posts, they forgot to call me and I didn’t know I’d been accepted until I called one day to ask about my status.

Current second year here! I think you still have a chance and if you haven't heard back by the late afternoon, I would give a call and ask them when they would suggest you try reaching out to them again. One option is to write a letter of intent since this is your top choice. Also, I was told by admissions that if you are rejected or waitlisted, you should expect to see a change in your status in your applicant portal prior to receiving an e-mail (though you will receive a phone call prior to the status change on the portal if you are on hold list or accepted). I hope this helps. Good luck! Send me a direct message if you have any other concerns I might be able to address. Hang in there!
Thank you so much! I will give them a call on Monday.

Have they called you yet? No.

Do they still have to call you? Yes.

Seems like there’s still a chance to me. You don’t know you haven’t been accepted until the explicitly tell you that’s the case. Considering you haven’t heard anything, there’s still a chance. I called every two weeks until I got accepted. Like I’ve said in previous posts, they forgot to call me and I didn’t know I’d been accepted until I called one day to ask about my status.
Thank you for your response. I truly appreciate it.

Also, keep in mind that the date you are accepted is based more on which date your interviewer presents you to the committee than the date you interviewed. The fact that you haven’t received anything in writing saying that you were waitlisted/rejected is a good sign. Definitely follow up on Monday, but don’t lose hope yet!

can any of the current students who did the prematric program explain how the classes are set up and what to expect from the program?

Reactions: 3 users
Called Rowan Today. Turns out to be that I was placed on a hold list.

Called Rowan Today. Turns out to be that I was placed on a hold list.

honestly, thats a much better place than a waitlist since your pretty much have a guaranteed acceptance for next year's class if spots dont open up this year. so congratulations!

Yeah, that’s not a bad position to be in at all. Depending on class movement, you could even get lucky and be pulled off the list sooner than expected. Bottom line, no matter how the hold list moves, you’re going to be a doctor. Congratulations!

Anyone get an II lately?
I've been complete since October. I'm OOS. Just curious.

Hey guys! I just wanted to comment real quick because I thought I had a really cool realization today—

I went to an interview today at a different school, and I really, really liked it. However, on the drive home, I was comparing it to the interview experience I had at Rowan. I’m not sure if I just happened to get a group of really chatty people during my interview day at Rowan, but I’m naturally a more quiet person and on that day we were told, like, multiple times that we needed to quiet down. I even walked out of my interview with a few new numbers, and we still text to check in on each other’s application cycle.

My point is, I have never walked out of another interview with new “friends,” and I think that really shows what type of students Rowan brings in. Of course, everyone I have met on interviews have always been really nice, but thinking about the fellow interviewees I was with on that day pulled at my heartstrings a little bit on the way home.

Our future classmates are the people we will be spending the next four years with, and that’s an important consideration to add to reasons you do or do not like the school. I liked the facility at the school I interviewed with today, but the people that I met at Rowan and talk to on this forum and on the Facebook group made all the difference. I just wanted to say that I am SO excited to meet everyone and start this journey, and congratulations to everyone who has received an interview/acceptance/waitlist spot because I really think we have a great group going and Rowan’s community is amazing.

This probably turned out longer than I expected, and I apologize if it was totally useless but...

Reactions: 12 users
Any current students comment on specific things they like about the program, if they like PBL, living in the area, EC opportunities?
Hey! I am from another area in Jersey, and would rather live by family, but its still New Jersey and you get over that pretty quickly because the area is comfortable! I think my out of state classmates have felt the same way, but I don't want to speak too much to them. I am involved as a tour guide, in student council, and some speciality focused clubs. I recommend joining or at least attending a few things in the early weeks and deciding where you could see yourself holding a leadership position! There is no shortage of clubs, but some are more longstanding than others and so run more 'smoothly' for lack of a better word. That would be my one note to look out for if you want to be more involved in helping to reach new heights with a club, or help maintain the place of a current club.

Any current students comment on specific things they like about the program, if they like PBL, living in the area, EC opportunities?

2nd year here, living here is fine. i really like wawa (from NY). im traditional so idk PBL style. content with course work, 2nd year class can be better. great EC. but the best for me as the proximity to penn medicine so i did my summer research at hospital of upenn and got 1 pubs currently, 1 is pending so it is great!

Hi all, so I had my interview and it was totally not what I expected or was told to expect but I loved it and it went well!

So because we ended up having a conversation I didn't really get a chance to hit some of my reasons for why Rowan and then we were running over time. So what I'd like to know is should I send a letter of intent letting them know Rowan is my top choice (it actually is) and why...? Just wanted to get some feedback

Hi all, so I had my interview and it was totally not what I expected or was told to expect but I loved it and it went well!

So because we ended up having a conversation I didn't really get a chance to hit some of my reasons for why Rowan and then we were running over time. So what I'd like to know is should I send a letter of intent letting them know Rowan is my top choice (it actually is) and why...? Just wanted to get some feedback

I wouldn't let them know of your intent until a decision is made (WL HL acceptance etc). I would wait 2 weeks or so and let the committee meet (RowanSOM meets about every 2-3 weeks), if by then you haven't heard back I would give admissions a call and see if admissions met or when they will meet and then let them know that RowanSOM is your top choice. If you call now you may come across impatient and desperate. Just my opinion because I wanted to do exactly what you are wanting to do when I first interviewed and was told to wait it out a little first

My interview was also very conversational and actually lasted about 40 minutes so I felt comfortable that I was able to make all my points. Even If you feel the interview was rushed or time constrained, definitely suggest sending a thank you letter to your interviewer. Don't write a book. Try and keep it to 3 short paragraphs restating your interest in the program, highlight some of the key talking points you discussed and why you believe you would be a good fit.

I wouldn't let them know of your intent until a decision is made (WL HL acceptance etc). I would wait 2 weeks or so and let the committee meet (RowanSOM meets about every 2-3 weeks), if by then you haven't heard back I would give admissions a call and see if admissions met or when they will meet and then let them know that RowanSOM is your top choice. If you call now you may come across impatient and desperate. Just my opinion because I wanted to do exactly what you are wanting to do when I first interviewed and was told to wait it out a little first

Just curious, who told you to wait it out? I thought they were welcome.

My interview was also very conversational and actually lasted about 40 minutes so I felt comfortable that I was able to make all my points. Even If you feel the interview was rushed or time constrained, definitely suggest sending a thank you letter to your interviewer. Don't write a book. Try and keep it to 3 short paragraphs restating your interest in the program, highlight some of the key talking points you discussed and why you believe you would be a good fit.

Thanks for your advice! So I was going to send each interviewer a personalized thank you and a letter of intent separate, addressed to the adcom. This is where I'm not sure if I should or shouldn't. I want them to know Rowan is my top choice and why before they make any decision, however I also don't want to be pushy. We were told the commitee is meeting next week, and I'd like for them to have it before then if my interview date does end up being discussed at that meeting.

What I have so far is about 3 paragraphs , and I wouldn't be writing any more than that.

Quick question - does anyone know when in the month the committee meets? Was it third week?

Thanks for your advice! So I was going to send each interviewer a personalized thank you and a letter of intent separate, addressed to the adcom. This is where I'm not sure if I should or shouldn't. I want them to know Rowan is my top choice and why before they make any decision, however I also don't want to be pushy. We were told the commitee is meeting next week, and I'd like for them to have it before then if my interview date does end up being discussed at that meeting.

What I have so far is about 3 paragraphs , and I wouldn't be writing any more than that.
I would hold off on a separate letter of intent. If you felt good about your interview even if a little rushed, thank you emails to your interviewer(s) should be sufficient. One great thing about Rowan is they just do not hand out interviews. For those of us fortunate to have interviewed, it is because they see us as fitting in with their mission and program. I would not push it beyond a thank you at this point. Seriously hope you get the call!! Stay positive!!!

Last edited:
Quick question - does anyone know when in the month the committee meets? Was it third week?
They meet on the first and third Friday of each month. Just keep in mind that your application will not be discussed if your interviewer is not present at the meeting or if they are running behind, so it may take more than one meeting before a decision is made.

They meet on the first and third Friday of each month. Just keep in mind that your application will not be discussed if your interviewer is not present at the meeting or if they are running behind, so it may take more than one meeting before a decision is made.

Do they meet to review applicants as well? (Pre-II applicants)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do they meet to review applicants as well? (Pre-II applicants)

They do, a teacher I have told me they do a review of files at least once a month. I submitted in July and just heard back the first week of January, so they definitely re-review

Just curious, who told you to wait it out? I thought they were welcome.
Just several of the adcoms on here and also just from my experience i really think sending a letter of intent before committee even meets might be a little much at this point. That is just me. Maybe @TattedMed can chime in about it It would probably be okay to drop a call and ask when the committee meets next for her interview date and then slip in a "its my top choice so I would just like to have an idea". A letter of intent right now since the committee hasnt met yet may be a little much

I'd call every two weeks a month from now until you get an answer. That's what I did.

I never sent a letter of intent and only sent thank you letters.

Honestly, there's not really much you can do at this point. I don't mean to sound harsh, but you've done literally everything you could have done and now it's up to them to make a decision. I don't think my letters swayed those that interviewed me one way or the other, but it doesn't hurt to send a friendly thank you if nothing else to maybe add some of the things you say you forgot to mention. I vividly remember doing that, so maybe the letters actually did help! Let me see if I have one of the letters still...

"I wanted to thank you for your extremely informative presentation this past Saturday morning at the beginning of the interview day. Not only was your presentation extremely informative it shed some light on how dedicated RowanSOM is to its mission and the success of its’ students. It is so encouraging to hear that you, as well as other faculty at the school, would go to such great lengths to ensure that your students are awarded the opportunities they deserve in addition to going above and beyond in cultivating such an excellent learning environment. As you said, medical school is difficult enough and there is no reason to make it any more difficult. The kinder and gentler curriculum you have built the foundation of RowanSOM on is something I find very appealing and could see myself flourish upon. The story you shared about the young woman pursuing the highly competitive neurology residency and how the school stepped in to ensure she secured the spot speak volumes about passionate RowanSOM is about the success of the students. I find that it is hard to find such qualities in a institution of higher learning and couldn’t be more enthused to hopefully matriculate in to such a supportive program.

Thank you again for your time and I hope to hear from you soon"

Something to that effect, but maybe sneak in there why DO or something. Like I said though, you've pretty much done all that you can do and now it's just a matter of waiting and seeing. Beat of luck and I hope you hear something soon! (If it's any consolation, I waited nearly a month and a half to two months before I got the news.)

I'd call every two weeks a month from now until you get an answer. That's what I did.

I never sent a letter of intent and only sent thank you letters.

Honestly, there's not really much you can do at this point. I don't mean to sound harsh, but you've done literally everything you could have done and now it's up to them to make a decision. I don't think my letters swayed those that interviewed me one way or the other, but it doesn't hurt to send a friendly thank you if nothing else to maybe add some of the things you say you forgot to mention. I vividly remember doing that, so maybe the letters actually did help! Let me see if I have one of the letters still...

"I wanted to thank you for your extremely informative presentation this past Saturday morning at the beginning of the interview day. Not only was your presentation extremely informative it shed some light on how dedicated RowanSOM is to its mission and the success of its’ students. It is so encouraging to hear that you, as well as other faculty at the school, would go to such great lengths to ensure that your students are awarded the opportunities they deserve in addition to going above and beyond in cultivating such an excellent learning environment. As you said, medical school is difficult enough and there is no reason to make it any more difficult. The kinder and gentler curriculum you have built the foundation of RowanSOM on is something I find very appealing and could see myself flourish upon. The story you shared about the young woman pursuing the highly competitive neurology residency and how the school stepped in to ensure she secured the spot speak volumes about passionate RowanSOM is about the success of the students. I find that it is hard to find such qualities in a institution of higher learning and couldn’t be more enthused to hopefully matriculate in to such a supportive program.

Thank you again for your time and I hope to hear from you soon"

Something to that effect, but maybe sneak in there why DO or something. Like I said though, you've pretty much done all that you can do and now it's just a matter of waiting and seeing. Beat of luck and I hope you hear something soon! (If it's any consolation, I waited nearly a month and a half to two months before I got the news.)

Thank you for that! Yeah it's definitely stressful waiting but I see your point. I'm just going to send my thank you's as planned and hope I get some good news!

I just interviewed here yesterday (it was amazing), and they didn't say anything about a HL. Maybe they just refrained from bringing it up, and I definitely wasn't going to bring it up. Has anyone been admitted for this cycle off of the hold list yet?

I just interviewed here yesterday (it was amazing), and they didn't say anything about a HL. Maybe they just refrained from bringing it up, and I definitely wasn't going to bring it up. Has anyone been admitted for this cycle off of the hold list yet?

When I interviewed, Dr. Jermyn did talk about the HL to all the interviewees. It just came up.

Also this is random but some ppl that were interviewing same day as me interviewed with the med school librarian. I was just curious about that, is that common?

When I interviewed, Dr. Jermyn did talk about the HL to all the interviewees. It just came up.

Also this is random but some ppl that were interviewing same day as me interviewed with the med school librarian. I was just curious about that, is that common?

I interviewed with her, and she was incredible. Very knowledgable and had been with Rowan for a very long time. She embodied the culture of the school and told me about all of the transitions she'd seen. I thought having her as an interviewer was a brilliant choice on behalf of the school.