2017-2018 Saint Louis University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone see their 5k or 10k scholarship? If so where? I literally have 8$ in my checking account and I don’t think I got a 5k scholarship.
 
Did anyone see their 5k or 10k scholarship? If so where? I literally have 8$ in my checking account and I don’t think I got a 5k scholarship.

a scholarship would most likely take effect by reducing your tuition, not by putting money in your checking account. Not sure if I read that correctly.
 
Did anyone see their 5k or 10k scholarship? If so where? I literally have 8$ in my checking account and I don’t think I got a 5k scholarship.
I just saw loans on mine (and my EFC is showing as $0), but I'd also be curious to know if anyone has a scholarship showing in their award.
 
Just figured I'd give you guys a head's up...the financial aid awards have been made and you can view them on mySLU.
You are right. No financial aid for me, but have been offered a generous amount of loan that'll put me in debt for a million years. Go Billikens!
 
I know SLU doesn't have a second look day, so is it worth it to travel there and get a tour of the campus / talk to students? Has anyone done it? It's not too much of a commute for me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i heard most OOS get 5 or 10k scholarships. is this true? i only see my loans on the portal rn so just wondering
 
i heard most OOS get 5 or 10k scholarships. is this true? i only see my loans on the portal rn so just wondering

I'm not sure about the truth of the first statement, but I called and asked financial aid about this and they said that if you are getting a scholarship it should be posted in your portal as of early last week.
 
In the financial aid packet they gave us at the interview day, it said that those who filled out FAFSA with parent info were eligible for up to 10k scholarship and those who didn't fill out FAFSA with parent info could get up to 5k if that clears up anything
 
I know most medical students live off-campus, but does anyone know about available on-campus housing? Care to share your experience with that? Thanks
There is no specific medical student on campus housing. There might be graduate student housing but it would be on/near the undergrad campus which is not connected to the medical campus.
 
So although I am looking at the 2015-2016 report, SLU had an average of like 190K in debt for its graduates, with the highest average indebtedness from any school being like 240K. Is this just because it’s three years ago? Or how else can I reconcile borrowing 300+ in a couple months for SLU? Is there some way to get through with less debt? Is everyone just out there finding every last 5, 10, 15K scholarship that exists to bring that number down? Just curious to hear from others.
 
I know everyone on this thread is currently talking about financial aid, but I thought I'd drop by to share that when I got in my car yesterday, my phone screen had two notifications on it - the first was an email from my undergrad school saying it's never too late for a career change, the second was my navigation app calculating the time it would take for me to get to some liquor store that I had never been to, searched for, or even heard of. So, seems even the universe knows I'm waitlisted, though I did not give in to its coincidental suggestions. Hope everyone else in the same boat is hanging in there!
 
Interviewed late February.
Called today and was told that my application would be presented to the Committee next week.
This cycle has been dragging on.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got off the phone with Admissions and they said absolutely no one has been moved off the waitlist and movement will not occur until the April 30th deadline passes the wait continues.... GOOD news is they expect a lot of movement this year !
Wait does this mean that no one has dropped an acceptance from them and there have been no spots to fill? Or does it mean that even if people have dropped, they just haven't filled those open spots and will not until Traffic Day?

PS: thanks for calling and giving us this info, it's very much appreciated!
 
Wait does this mean that no one has dropped an acceptance from them and there have been no spots to fill? Or does it mean that even if people have dropped, they just haven't filled those open spots and will not until Traffic Day?

PS: thanks for calling and giving us this info, it's very much appreciated!
I really don’t know but I feel like if people dropped they will give decisions to people who interviewed late March that they really wanted. I interviewed in September and people have been accepted in February and etc. but they will definitely get that wait list moving May 1st
 
So although I am looking at the 2015-2016 report, SLU had an average of like 190K in debt for its graduates, with the highest average indebtedness from any school being like 240K. Is this just because it’s three years ago? Or how else can I reconcile borrowing 300+ in a couple months for SLU? Is there some way to get through with less debt? Is everyone just out there finding every last 5, 10, 15K scholarship that exists to bring that number down? Just curious to hear from others.

+1
This is a really good question.
 
+1
This is a really good question.

You have to remember that a lot of people are receiving financial support from family to bring loans down - which helps lower the average indebtedness. I would think that the only way to borrow less without other sources of financial support would be scholarships or using money if you worked a job before med school

Edit: My bad I meant to quote the person who originally posted the question
 
Hmm this doesn't seem right. The alternate list email definitely said they selected competitive applicants for the waitlist and that it's ranked.

I have heard that it’s ranked, although my email about the waitlist never said anything about ranking. Do anyone know how it’s ranked? Thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad