2017-2018 Saint Louis University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Damn..... That's long af. I was thinking of making it short just because I wouldn't want them to read a full essay.
I would keep LOIs to about a page in length double spaced

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Damn..... That's long af. I was thinking of making it short just because I wouldn't want them to read a full essay.
Yeah mine was def an essay- I had a lot to say and didn’t want to regret not saying it if u know what I mean ;)

Just figured I'd give you guys a head's up...the financial aid awards have been made and you can view them on mySLU.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody else staring at 300K and thinking that number is really big? Holy crap guys that’s a lot of debt.

Reactions: 1 users
Just figured I'd give you guys a head's up...the financial aid awards have been made and you can view them on mySLU.

"and to teach them [medicine], if they want to learn it, without fee or indenture"

If only medical schools took the Hippocratic Oath...

Reactions: 2 users
"and to teach them [medicine], if they want to learn it, without fee or indenture"

If only medical schools took the Hippocratic Oath...

I wish I could up vote this more than once...especially w/ the massive loans I'm about to have:(

Did anyone see their 5k or 10k scholarship? If so where? I literally have 8$ in my checking account and I don’t think I got a 5k scholarship.

Did anyone see their 5k or 10k scholarship? If so where? I literally have 8$ in my checking account and I don’t think I got a 5k scholarship.

a scholarship would most likely take effect by reducing your tuition, not by putting money in your checking account. Not sure if I read that correctly.

I just saw loans on mine (and my EFC is showing as $0), but I'd also be curious to know if anyone has a scholarship showing in their award.

You are right. No financial aid for me, but have been offered a generous amount of loan that'll put me in debt for a million years. Go Billikens!

Anybody else staring at 300K and thinking that number is really big? Holy crap guys that’s a lot of debt.
The Cost of Attendance feels a bit inflated IMO. I'm just going with the tuition which is still unsettling.

It showed up on my financial aid letter as "SLU Endowed Scholarship" listed right before my federal loans.

It showed up on my financial aid letter as "SLU Endowed Scholarship" listed right before my federal loans.
When you say letter are you referring to the financial award page on mySlu site or did you get an email/letter with this info?

Members don't see this ad :)
When you say letter are you referring to the financial award page on mySlu site or did you get an email/letter with this info?
I'm referring to the financial award page on mySLU! I didn't get any email.

I know SLU doesn't have a second look day, so is it worth it to travel there and get a tour of the campus / talk to students? Has anyone done it? It's not too much of a commute for me.

My wife and I are planning a trip early May to go look around at neighborhoods, housing, and the school, etc. I think it’s a good idea!

When do they start pulling people off the waitlist?

I know SLU doesn't have a second look day, so is it worth it to travel there and get a tour of the campus / talk to students? Has anyone done it? It's not too much of a commute for me.

That's what I did last year before deciding on SLU. It solidified my decision. PM me if you have any Q's

i heard most OOS get 5 or 10k scholarships. is this true? i only see my loans on the portal rn so just wondering

i heard most OOS get 5 or 10k scholarships. is this true? i only see my loans on the portal rn so just wondering

I'm not sure about the truth of the first statement, but I called and asked financial aid about this and they said that if you are getting a scholarship it should be posted in your portal as of early last week.

Oos and offered $10,000.

In the financial aid packet they gave us at the interview day, it said that those who filled out FAFSA with parent info were eligible for up to 10k scholarship and those who didn't fill out FAFSA with parent info could get up to 5k if that clears up anything

I know most medical students live off-campus, but does anyone know about available on-campus housing? Care to share your experience with that? Thanks
There is no specific medical student on campus housing. There might be graduate student housing but it would be on/near the undergrad campus which is not connected to the medical campus.

So although I am looking at the 2015-2016 report, SLU had an average of like 190K in debt for its graduates, with the highest average indebtedness from any school being like 240K. Is this just because it’s three years ago? Or how else can I reconcile borrowing 300+ in a couple months for SLU? Is there some way to get through with less debt? Is everyone just out there finding every last 5, 10, 15K scholarship that exists to bring that number down? Just curious to hear from others.

I know everyone on this thread is currently talking about financial aid, but I thought I'd drop by to share that when I got in my car yesterday, my phone screen had two notifications on it - the first was an email from my undergrad school saying it's never too late for a career change, the second was my navigation app calculating the time it would take for me to get to some liquor store that I had never been to, searched for, or even heard of. So, seems even the universe knows I'm waitlisted, though I did not give in to its coincidental suggestions. Hope everyone else in the same boat is hanging in there!

Reactions: 11 users
Interviewed late February.
Called today and was told that my application would be presented to the Committee next week.
This cycle has been dragging on.

Interviewed 2/19. Was placed on the alternate list, emailed just a few mins ago

Just got off the phone with Admissions and they said absolutely no one has been moved off the waitlist and movement will not occur until the April 30th deadline passes the wait continues.... GOOD news is they expect a lot of movement this year !

Reactions: 5 users
Just got off the phone with Admissions and they said absolutely no one has been moved off the waitlist and movement will not occur until the April 30th deadline passes the wait continues.... GOOD news is they expect a lot of movement this year !
Wait does this mean that no one has dropped an acceptance from them and there have been no spots to fill? Or does it mean that even if people have dropped, they just haven't filled those open spots and will not until Traffic Day?

PS: thanks for calling and giving us this info, it's very much appreciated!

Wait does this mean that no one has dropped an acceptance from them and there have been no spots to fill? Or does it mean that even if people have dropped, they just haven't filled those open spots and will not until Traffic Day?

PS: thanks for calling and giving us this info, it's very much appreciated!
I really don’t know but I feel like if people dropped they will give decisions to people who interviewed late March that they really wanted. I interviewed in September and people have been accepted in February and etc. but they will definitely get that wait list moving May 1st

So although I am looking at the 2015-2016 report, SLU had an average of like 190K in debt for its graduates, with the highest average indebtedness from any school being like 240K. Is this just because it’s three years ago? Or how else can I reconcile borrowing 300+ in a couple months for SLU? Is there some way to get through with less debt? Is everyone just out there finding every last 5, 10, 15K scholarship that exists to bring that number down? Just curious to hear from others.

+1
This is a really good question.

+1
This is a really good question.

You have to remember that a lot of people are receiving financial support from family to bring loans down - which helps lower the average indebtedness. I would think that the only way to borrow less without other sources of financial support would be scholarships or using money if you worked a job before med school

Edit: My bad I meant to quote the person who originally posted the question

Withdrew my acceptance today. Good luck to those still waiting!

Reactions: 10 users
Does this school reject post II? seems like everyone is on the waitlist

Are you being facetious or is everyone actually put on the alternate instead of outright rejection?
Hmm this doesn't seem right. The alternate list email definitely said they selected competitive applicants for the waitlist and that it's ranked.

Hmm this doesn't seem right. The alternate list email definitely said they selected competitive applicants for the waitlist and that it's ranked.

I have heard that it’s ranked, although my email about the waitlist never said anything about ranking. Do anyone know how it’s ranked? Thanks.

Are you being facetious or is everyone actually put on the alternate instead of outright rejection?
I did not find anyone mentioning rejection post-II on sdn for SLU in the past few years. This unlikely to happen if they do reject people. I am not 100% sure though lol.

I did not find anyone mentioning rejection post-II on sdn for SLU in the past few years. This unlikely to happen if they do reject people. I am not 100% sure though lol.

Could someone confirm if SLU does post-II rejections?

Could someone confirm if SLU does post-II rejections?
lol someone asks this question every year and no one gives an answer. Its like the amount of licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop..... The world may never know.

Any interviewees from the last week of Feb get a decision this week?