2017-2018 Saint Louis University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was reading through a lot of threads from last year about SLU, typically SLU vs School X threads, and nearly every thread seemed to mention that a con of attending SLU was that they lack research opportunities for students. Is this true? I mean my interview was held in a 9 story reasearch building 100 yards from the school. They even required my drivers license at the front desk because they are one of the few institutions doing vaccine research for the government and have live cultures of anthrax and Ebola.

Can any current or previous students speak to the validity of those comments about research opportunities at SLU?

Edit: @xiquarius

Pretty much what @You're My Boy Blue said. There's research opportunities available pretty much everywhere if you're willing to reach out to people. And a lot of residents, academic clinicians, etc. are sitting on a bunch of things they've been wanting to publish or research but haven't had time to get around to doing it. Asking to help out can easily land you research, pubs, or presentations.

In addition, the Dean has been pushing for a heavier research focus in the school as well as part of the changes in remediating the probation. So if you decide to matriculate at this school, you will most likely be getting a high emphasis on integrating research into the program.
 
Pretty much what @You're My Boy Blue said. There's research opportunities available pretty much everywhere if you're willing to reach out to people. And a lot of residents, academic clinicians, etc. are sitting on a bunch of things they've been wanting to publish or research but haven't had time to get around to doing it. Asking to help out can easily land you research, pubs, or presentations.

In addition, the Dean has been pushing for a heavier research focus in the school as well as part of the changes in remediating the probation. So if you decide to matriculate at this school, you will most likely be getting a high emphasis on integrating research into the program.

Why would a higher emphasis on research aid in the remediation of probation? The citations that SLUSOM received from the LCME were largely administrative issues. The only change in curriculum that I've even noticed so far is that evaluations for courses are now mandatory.
 
How serious is this probation? What would happen to the students if the school ends up not fixing its problems? I’m wondering if interviewing there is worth the time and effort anymore because of their probation
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How serious is this probation? What would happen to the students if the school ends up not fixing its problems? I’m wondering if interviewing there is worth the time and effort anymore because of their probation

A school hasn't lost their accreditation since the 60s if I remember correctly , usually its fixed in the allotted time especially since this is only a few administrative issues
 
Im curious as to why I havent heard back from SLU yet.... I am a SLU student with a 512 MCAT and 3.75 science and regular GPA and finished my app on 7/24/17. I got a committee letter from SLU, but I decided to add 2 extra letters of reccomendation as well which were submitted on September 15th. Do you think that they simply haven't gotten around to my app yet because I added those extra letters of reccomendation? or was I silently rejected?
 
I was complete 7/1 and haven't heard anything. Schools are just very busy atm. Don't consider it a rejection until the last interview date passes.
lol why does medical school have to do this to us. Is being a doctor with 200k in debt so much to ask? I've been wanting to pull my hair out every week I dont get an interview
 
lol why does medical school have to do this to us. Is being a doctor with 200k in debt so much to ask? I've been wanting to pull my hair out every week I dont get an interview
With a LM of 70 I'm sure you have other interviews. Focus on those and I'm sure this school will get back to you at some point. Also, its not too late to add some schools too
 
If we have already interviewed here will we hear a final decision on Monday or within a week or two of Monday? I remember being told both at the interview.
 
If we interviewed here on Tuesday 9/12, will we find out the decision on Monday 10/16? Are rejections/waitlist sent out the same day as well?
 
Hopefully we hear a decision today for the 9/12 interview group. They told us in person and on the website we will hear back October 15th but I don't think they realized that was a Sunday.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ya, I interviewed on the 12th and just worried what it means if we don't hear anything...
This is all speculation but I imagine if they reviewed our app and planned to reject us, they would've done so immediately. If anything, I reckon our apps either haven't been reviewed or they are sitting to be re-reviewed . Last year, some people recieved decisions later as their interviewers couldn't make it to earlier admissions meetings.
 
This is all speculation but I imagine if they reviewed our app and planned to reject us, they would've done so immediately. If anything, I reckon our apps either haven't been reviewed or they are sitting to be re-reviewed . Last year, some people recieved decisions later as their interviewers couldn't make it to earlier admissions meetings.
I hope so haha..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So if we don't hear anything and interviewed on 9/12 ...does that mean a rejection?
I was accepted at SLU last year. Just because you interview on the same day as someone else doesn't mean you will receive your decision on the same day. Last year, I interviewed with 3 people from my school on the same day in mid-October. We were all accepted, but received our answers a week apart. It primarily has to do with when your interviewer presents their candidates to the committee. Now if you are a close call, maybe you are held over for further discussion - I don't know.
 
my god I loved this school at the interview. Really hope they stick to the whole 3-4 weeks timeline 🙂. Anyone from october interviews get accepted yet
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad