2017-2018 Saint Louis University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Someone posted this on Reddit :) believe 100% per the chart that may or may not work if I copy and paste:

Their post-interview acceptance rate is not 100% lol (although it may be close). I have a friend who interviewed last cycle and was wait-listed. He ended up not getting off the wait list.

Members don't see this ad.

Someone posted this on Reddit :) believe 100% per the chart that may or may not work if I copy and paste:

Where did the person who created this spreadsheet get their information? There is no way this is correct

Their post-interview acceptance rate is not 100% lol (although it may be close). I have a friend who interviewed last cycle and was wait-listed. He ended up not getting off the wait list.

I definitely thought that was odd as well, that 100% acceptance was posted. Whoever made this chart and posted to Reddit claimed to use US reports and MSAR, but I think anything on the internet should be taken with a grain of salt

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did the person who created this spreadsheet get their information? There is no way this is correct

I think US News was the source, they say the acceptance rate is 100%. Although I think it is a mistake and it is not actually 100% lol....

Reactions: 1 users

Allegedly US News, I don't have the original Reddit post at the moment to copy and paste

I think the acceptance rate is 57% if you take the number of interviews from MSAR data and the acceptance number from the Excel sheet posted on Reddit which is supposed to be the number from US News.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats!! i have a similar LM score and OOS but i was complete in late august :( what dates are available for u?
The interviews are on Mondays and Tuesdays. The earliest date for me was October 16.

Reactions: 1 user
I promise you the acceptance rates are not 100%...sorry to burst anyone's bubble

Hopefully SLU invite more disadvantaged applicants this year SMH

Last edited:
Anyone who has interviewed already care to share their experience?

Hello all. I have 2 secondaries left to complete (well 1, I decided I have no shot at UMD). I was considering adding 1-3 schools in its place. Is it too late to apply here, especially with low stats?

OOS, 3.5 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, 506 MCAT, URM

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who has interviewed already care to share their experience?
Of course! Interviewed there earlier this week (as well as last year). So for the interview is a open file 30 minutes long 1-on-1 with a faculty member that is scheduled sometime during the interview day (between 8am and 3pm). I found it to be mostly conversational though I would definitely brush up on your activities as well as your future plans in medicine and why SLU. Interview aside, there is a optional tour of the facilities/hospital from 10:40 to 12ish followed by a student lunch/FA presentation from 12ish to 1. The lunch was super informative as it was 3 interviewees to 1 current medical student which allowed for plenty of question.

Overall while the facilities were a bit on the older side, I was greatly impressed by the curriculum (8 week step 1 study, hpf no rank) and wellness initiatives (selectives and free afternoons) and would be very happy to attend there. Though I was surprised that they had access to my interviewer's notes from last cycle :confused:

Of course! Interviewed there earlier this week (as well as last year). So for the interview is a open file 30 minutes long 1-on-1 with a faculty member that is scheduled sometime during the interview day (between 8am and 3pm). I found it to be mostly conversational though I would definitely brush up on your activities as well as your future plans in medicine and why SLU. Interview aside, there is a optional tour of the facilities/hospital from 10:40 to 12ish followed by a student lunch/FA presentation from 12ish to 1. The lunch was super informative as it was 3 interviewees to 1 current medical student which allowed for plenty of question.

Overall while the facilities were a bit on the older side, I was greatly impressed by the curriculum (8 week step 1 study, hpf no rank) and wellness initiatives (selectives and free afternoons) and would be very happy to attend there. Though I was surprised that they had access to my interviewer's notes from last cycle :confused:

What did you improve upon from the last time?

I agree with everything @Hau5MD said. I stayed with a host and attended a mandatory step 1 prep lecture with them. I got the sense that the school works hard at helping their student prepare. Next year's students will get 9 weeks to prep. SLU genuinely cares about their students. The students seem pretty happy with lower stress levels than would be expected. I spoke with an M4 who felt like her mentor did a phenonmenal job preparing her for the match.

The admissions dean was present at my interview day. He said at point that he felt the interview day was the most overrated part of the admissions process because they already had 5 people read your app who Iiked it. So the day was all about us. That doesn't seem to have been your experience last year, at least. Maybe we all looked stressed and he wanted us to relax.;)

What did you improve upon from the last time?
I added 1000+ hours of varied clinical experience between working as an activities coordinator in a assisted living facility and as a CNA in skilled nursing, short-term rehab and a pediatric subacute. I also spent a couple hundred hours mentoring undergrads in developing research projects and some other local community service. Though I'm pretty sure the main reason I managed to snag a interview so early (despite having below average stats) was due to sending a letter of intent after being waitlisted (along with lots of updates).

just received II! IS, Submitted on July 7th
cGPA 3.77, sGPA 3.84, MCAT 518

I loved this school during my interview! They really emphasize student wellness and all the students seem relatively stress-free and collaborative. Also, they're building a new hospital so for those matriculating in 2018, M3 and M4 will be spent in new facilities!

I can't seem to find any information about the interview anywhere, is there an itinerary that I missed?

I can't seem to find any information about the interview anywhere, is there an itinerary that I missed?
The itenary was different for each student. The day starts at 10 and they guide you from there.

The itenary was different for each student. The day starts at 10 and they guide you from there.

Thanks! Do you know when it's supposed to end? My flight is at 530 from the closest airport, I hope I'm not cutting it too close

Thanks! Do you know when it's supposed to end? My flight is at 530 from the closest airport, I hope I'm not cutting it too close
My day ended at 1 when the tour ended because I had my interview first thing at 10 AM. Others had their interviews all the way at 3, but most people were before that! You might be able to call and ask your interview time because of your flight, just expect the chance that they may not tell you. They were very nice and personable so I wouldn't worry about making a bad impression by asking.

II yesterday!

Complete 7/31, OOS, 3.91, 517, Non-trad

I loved this school during my interview! They really emphasize student wellness and all the students seem relatively stress-free and collaborative. Also, they're building a new hospital so for those matriculating in 2018, M3 and M4 will be spent in new facilities!
Hi! Congrats on the interview. Any tips on accommodation? My flight gets in late and I prefer to stay in a hotel close to the campus.

Thanks! Its not, I didn't actually realize there was a band named that. May have to check them out now though, haha
Haha I didn't see your signature because I was on my phone. The band is a Christian deathcore band (somewhat of an oxymoron if you ask me) their lyrics are good but boy they are noisy sometimes.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! Congrats on the interview. Any tips on accommodation? My flight gets in late and I prefer to stay in a hotel close to the campus.

I stayed with a student host so I can't tell you, sorry :(

(disregard, found answer earlier in thread)

Last edited:
Yeah, you have to go where you will be the happiest! SLU's strong affiliation with Barnes-Jewish and the plethora of neuroscientists are what makes me so badly want an interview.
Ooo is their neuroscience/ neurology strong aspects of the school?

Ooo is their neuroscience/ neurology strong aspects of the school?
  • So I’ve heard! One of my reference letter writers graduated from here and then went on to work at Barnes. My Dad has been a pt at Barnes and they are one of the only neurology programs that can help him.

Does anyone know what percentage of applicants get admitted after receiving an interview invite (obviously it cant be 100% lol).

I was reading through a lot of threads from last year about SLU, typically SLU vs School X threads, and nearly every thread seemed to mention that a con of attending SLU was that they lack research opportunities for students. Is this true? I mean my interview was held in a 9 story reasearch building 100 yards from the school. They even required my drivers license at the front desk because they are one of the few institutions doing vaccine research for the government and have live cultures of anthrax and Ebola.

Can any current or previous students speak to the validity of those comments about research opportunities at SLU?

Edit: @xiquarius

Last edited:
Any rejections yet? Or does this school do silent rejections?

Reactions: 2 users
I was reading through a lot of threads from last year about SLU, typically SLU vs School X threads, and nearly every thread seemed to mention that a con of attending SLU was that they lack research opportunities for students. Is this true? I mean my interview was held in a 9 story reasearch building 100 yards from the school. They even required my drivers license at the front desk because they are one of the few institutions doing vaccine research for the government and have live cultures of anthrax and Ebola.

Can any current or previous students speak to the validity of those comments about research opportunities at SLU?

From my experience. If you want to research you can do research - just might take some emailing. People are generally happy to have you work with them. There are also research electives (These can be hard to get). There are a couple medical research/start-up companies that work closely with SLU and WashU (Epharmix and MedLaunch). Also I know a couple people who are researching at WashU med. There seems to be a lot of collaboration between the two schools.

SLU has a database of research projects. Most people I know who are researching looked on that and emailed any people with projects they were interested in. Another good way to get research is to email physicians that come talk during interest groups. Almost all of them are involved in medicine/academics and have projects going.

From my experience. If you want to research you can do research - just might take some emailing. People are generally happy to have you work with them. There are also research electives (These can be hard to get). There are a couple medical research/start-up companies that work closely with SLU and WashU (Epharmix and MedLaunch). Also I know a couple people who are researching at WashU med. There seems to be a lot of collaboration between the two schools.

SLU has a database of research projects. Most people I know who are researching looked on that and emailed any people with projects they were interested in. Another good way to get research is to email physicians that come talk during interest groups. Almost all of them are involved in medicine/academics and have projects going.
Makes complete sense. Thanks for the insight!

II today! Sent in 9/6.

Last edited:
II received today! Submitted on 9/4

I interviewed here last month and the graduating class of 2020 is saturated with those in research and that they are looking for students with other interests. So maybe that's why there's less opportunity for the class of 2021