2017-2018 Saint Louis University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Their post-interview acceptance rate is not 100% lol (although it may be close). I have a friend who interviewed last cycle and was wait-listed. He ended up not getting off the wait list.

I definitely thought that was odd as well, that 100% acceptance was posted. Whoever made this chart and posted to Reddit claimed to use US reports and MSAR, but I think anything on the internet should be taken with a grain of salt
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all. I have 2 secondaries left to complete (well 1, I decided I have no shot at UMD). I was considering adding 1-3 schools in its place. Is it too late to apply here, especially with low stats?

OOS, 3.5 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, 506 MCAT, URM
 
Anyone who has interviewed already care to share their experience?
Of course! Interviewed there earlier this week (as well as last year). So for the interview is a open file 30 minutes long 1-on-1 with a faculty member that is scheduled sometime during the interview day (between 8am and 3pm). I found it to be mostly conversational though I would definitely brush up on your activities as well as your future plans in medicine and why SLU. Interview aside, there is a optional tour of the facilities/hospital from 10:40 to 12ish followed by a student lunch/FA presentation from 12ish to 1. The lunch was super informative as it was 3 interviewees to 1 current medical student which allowed for plenty of question.

Overall while the facilities were a bit on the older side, I was greatly impressed by the curriculum (8 week step 1 study, hpf no rank) and wellness initiatives (selectives and free afternoons) and would be very happy to attend there. Though I was surprised that they had access to my interviewer's notes from last cycle 😕
 
Of course! Interviewed there earlier this week (as well as last year). So for the interview is a open file 30 minutes long 1-on-1 with a faculty member that is scheduled sometime during the interview day (between 8am and 3pm). I found it to be mostly conversational though I would definitely brush up on your activities as well as your future plans in medicine and why SLU. Interview aside, there is a optional tour of the facilities/hospital from 10:40 to 12ish followed by a student lunch/FA presentation from 12ish to 1. The lunch was super informative as it was 3 interviewees to 1 current medical student which allowed for plenty of question.

Overall while the facilities were a bit on the older side, I was greatly impressed by the curriculum (8 week step 1 study, hpf no rank) and wellness initiatives (selectives and free afternoons) and would be very happy to attend there. Though I was surprised that they had access to my interviewer's notes from last cycle 😕

What did you improve upon from the last time?
 
Of course! Interviewed there earlier this week (as well as last year). So for the interview is a open file 30 minutes long 1-on-1 with a faculty member that is scheduled sometime during the interview day (between 8am and 3pm). I found it to be mostly conversational though I would definitely brush up on your activities as well as your future plans in medicine and why SLU. Interview aside, there is a optional tour of the facilities/hospital from 10:40 to 12ish followed by a student lunch/FA presentation from 12ish to 1. The lunch was super informative as it was 3 interviewees to 1 current medical student which allowed for plenty of question.

Overall while the facilities were a bit on the older side, I was greatly impressed by the curriculum (8 week step 1 study, hpf no rank) and wellness initiatives (selectives and free afternoons) and would be very happy to attend there. Though I was surprised that they had access to my interviewer's notes from last cycle 😕

I agree with everything @Hau5MD said. I stayed with a host and attended a mandatory step 1 prep lecture with them. I got the sense that the school works hard at helping their student prepare. Next year's students will get 9 weeks to prep. SLU genuinely cares about their students. The students seem pretty happy with lower stress levels than would be expected. I spoke with an M4 who felt like her mentor did a phenonmenal job preparing her for the match.

The admissions dean was present at my interview day. He said at point that he felt the interview day was the most overrated part of the admissions process because they already had 5 people read your app who Iiked it. So the day was all about us. That doesn't seem to have been your experience last year, at least. Maybe we all looked stressed and he wanted us to relax.😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What did you improve upon from the last time?
I added 1000+ hours of varied clinical experience between working as an activities coordinator in a assisted living facility and as a CNA in skilled nursing, short-term rehab and a pediatric subacute. I also spent a couple hundred hours mentoring undergrads in developing research projects and some other local community service. Though I'm pretty sure the main reason I managed to snag a interview so early (despite having below average stats) was due to sending a letter of intent after being waitlisted (along with lots of updates).
 
I loved this school during my interview! They really emphasize student wellness and all the students seem relatively stress-free and collaborative. Also, they're building a new hospital so for those matriculating in 2018, M3 and M4 will be spent in new facilities!
 
I can't seem to find any information about the interview anywhere, is there an itinerary that I missed?
 
Thanks! Do you know when it's supposed to end? My flight is at 530 from the closest airport, I hope I'm not cutting it too close
My day ended at 1 when the tour ended because I had my interview first thing at 10 AM. Others had their interviews all the way at 3, but most people were before that! You might be able to call and ask your interview time because of your flight, just expect the chance that they may not tell you. They were very nice and personable so I wouldn't worry about making a bad impression by asking.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I loved this school during my interview! They really emphasize student wellness and all the students seem relatively stress-free and collaborative. Also, they're building a new hospital so for those matriculating in 2018, M3 and M4 will be spent in new facilities!
Hi! Congrats on the interview. Any tips on accommodation? My flight gets in late and I prefer to stay in a hotel close to the campus.
 
Yeah, you have to go where you will be the happiest! SLU's strong affiliation with Barnes-Jewish and the plethora of neuroscientists are what makes me so badly want an interview.
Ooo is their neuroscience/ neurology strong aspects of the school?
 
Ooo is their neuroscience/ neurology strong aspects of the school?
  • So I’ve heard! One of my reference letter writers graduated from here and then went on to work at Barnes. My Dad has been a pt at Barnes and they are one of the only neurology programs that can help him.
 
Does anyone know what percentage of applicants get admitted after receiving an interview invite (obviously it cant be 100% lol).
 
I was reading through a lot of threads from last year about SLU, typically SLU vs School X threads, and nearly every thread seemed to mention that a con of attending SLU was that they lack research opportunities for students. Is this true? I mean my interview was held in a 9 story reasearch building 100 yards from the school. They even required my drivers license at the front desk because they are one of the few institutions doing vaccine research for the government and have live cultures of anthrax and Ebola.

Can any current or previous students speak to the validity of those comments about research opportunities at SLU?

Edit: @xiquarius
 
Last edited:
I was reading through a lot of threads from last year about SLU, typically SLU vs School X threads, and nearly every thread seemed to mention that a con of attending SLU was that they lack research opportunities for students. Is this true? I mean my interview was held in a 9 story reasearch building 100 yards from the school. They even required my drivers license at the front desk because they are one of the few institutions doing vaccine research for the government and have live cultures of anthrax and Ebola.

Can any current or previous students speak to the validity of those comments about research opportunities at SLU?

Edit: @xiquarius

From my experience. If you want to research you can do research - just might take some emailing. People are generally happy to have you work with them. There are also research electives (These can be hard to get). There are a couple medical research/start-up companies that work closely with SLU and WashU (Epharmix and MedLaunch). Also I know a couple people who are researching at WashU med. There seems to be a lot of collaboration between the two schools.

SLU has a database of research projects. Most people I know who are researching looked on that and emailed any people with projects they were interested in. Another good way to get research is to email physicians that come talk during interest groups. Almost all of them are involved in medicine/academics and have projects going.
 
From my experience. If you want to research you can do research - just might take some emailing. People are generally happy to have you work with them. There are also research electives (These can be hard to get). There are a couple medical research/start-up companies that work closely with SLU and WashU (Epharmix and MedLaunch). Also I know a couple people who are researching at WashU med. There seems to be a lot of collaboration between the two schools.

SLU has a database of research projects. Most people I know who are researching looked on that and emailed any people with projects they were interested in. Another good way to get research is to email physicians that come talk during interest groups. Almost all of them are involved in medicine/academics and have projects going.
Makes complete sense. Thanks for the insight!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was reading through a lot of threads from last year about SLU, typically SLU vs School X threads, and nearly every thread seemed to mention that a con of attending SLU was that they lack research opportunities for students. Is this true? I mean my interview was held in a 9 story reasearch building 100 yards from the school. They even required my drivers license at the front desk because they are one of the few institutions doing vaccine research for the government and have live cultures of anthrax and Ebola.

Can any current or previous students speak to the validity of those comments about research opportunities at SLU?

Edit: @xiquarius
I interviewed here last month and the graduating class of 2020 is saturated with those in research and that they are looking for students with other interests. So maybe that's why there's less opportunity for the class of 2021
 
Anyone who has interviewed already care to share their experience?
It was a very laid back interview for me. My interviewer let me start off the interview and we spoke for the whole 45 minutes. You only have one interview by someone on the admissions committee. Mine was in the morning so after financial aid I was able to leave. A group tour starts at 11am and its lead by 4th year students. If you wear heels your feet will hurt (for the ladies!) due to walking up many flights of steps and to buildings down the street. Then we toured the simulation lab and the anatomy lab. After the tour you eat lunch with year 2 students. Then financial aid. Finally, you leave or stay depending on your interview time. St. Louis was very welcoming and everyone is nice! They have your name and school on tv screens everywhere in the building so they make you feel special lol