2017-2018 Texas Tech University - Lubbock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah I haven't gotten an interview from any Texas school. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When did you complete?? I haven't heard nothing either :( I completed July 14th

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
When did you complete?? I haven't heard nothing either :( I completed July 14th

My tmdsas transmitted on August 7. I was complete between August 8-16. Some schools took a while to mark me complete after transmission and then I took a while to finish up secondaries.

Your stats are decent but you have to remember they turned their apps in 6-8 weeks before you did. Gotta give time for the schools to read your apps.

Yeah I'll keep that in mind. Thanks wysdoc. I really wish I was complete earlier but I can't change it now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying. It's just really hard seeing all these people already have an interview at EVERY Texas school and then knowing I have 0 is very unsettling. Not saying I'm entitled to anything, but it's just disheartening.

If I'm not mistaken, you mentioned in some other thread that you submitted your app early August. Most of these people who are getting interviews currently submitted their apps May-Mid June and had them transmitted in anytime between May-July. Since you only submitted your application August 8th, it will most likely take TMDSAS awhile before they transmit the application to each school that you applied to. TMDSAS is currently processing applications that were submitted 7/18 as of 2 days ago, which means medical schools have not even received your primary application yet if you did, in fact, submit them early August. It'll all work out with your good Lizzy M score. Keep your head up.

My application has been complete for almost 10 weeks now, no II. I'm a reapplicant with significantly improved stats. Interviewed here late in the EY2016 cycle (didn't finish my app until september) and was waitlisted. I was hoping my much earlier submittal would put me on track to be invited around this time, but I guess not :/

If anybody has any questions about what their interview day is like, I'd be more than happy to answer! Tech is the only school that interviewed me the last time I applied so I won't have much to compare it to, though.
Best of luck in the cycle friend. I'm sure you'll end up somewhere.

Could you comment on how your two interviews went, were they difficult or laid back?

I interviewed here a few weeks ago. My interviews were fine, but one was definitely more ethically-oriented than the other. We spent the majority of our time discussing a certain situation and the ethics surrounding it, which was kind of tricky but not too bad. That being said, other people I spoke with on interview day had different experiences, but most of them said their interviews were very conversational.

If I'm not mistaken, you mentioned in some other thread that you submitted your app early August. Most of these people who are getting interviews currently submitted their apps May-Mid June and had them transmitted in anytime between May-July. Since you only submitted your application August 8th, it will most likely take TMDSAS awhile before they transmit the application to each school that you applied to. TMDSAS is currently processing applications that were submitted 7/18 as of 2 days ago, which means medical schools have not even received your primary application yet if you did, in fact, submit them early August. It'll all work out with your good Lizzy M score. Keep your head up.

Hey! I submitted June 30. My app was transmitted August 7. My file was marked complete August 8-16 depending on when I finished the secondary. Thanks for your advice and encouragement

Best of luck in the cycle friend. I'm sure you'll end up somewhere.

Could you comment on how your two interviews went, were they difficult or laid back?
They were pretty laid back. Both of my interviews were by faculty members, but others in my group interviewed with current med students, Phd candidates, or any mix of the three. A lot of my questions were what you would expect (why MD instead of nursing or PA, what is your plan B if med school doesn't work out), then there were some about what I liked to do around Lubbock (I was a student at Tech at the time). No really tough ethical questions that stumped me, and like I said, the format of the interviews themselves was laid back. My second interviewer was about 15 minutes late too, but he still kept it cool.

I did hear, and this is just hearsay, that others who were interviewed by younger faculty and Phd students had a little rougher go of it. One of the Phd students (allegedly) gave his interviewee a piece of paper and told him to draw tryptophan. That was the interview. I don't really believe that story, but the overall word was that the interviews by younger folks were more difficult. The students that give the tours and the students that mingle with you during lunch are really cool though. You'll love tech and Lubbock! I know I did.

Dumb question but do they email II or does it show up on the portal?

II at tech this morning at 10 am! Today has been the best day ever! I'm so excited for this interview!! My hopes about this cycle have been lifted up!

Reactions: 2 users
II at tech this morning at 10 am! Today has been the best day ever! I'm so excited for this interview!! My hopes about this cycle have been lifted up!

Mind sharing your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)

Knew you were gonna get love. What was the other II

Knew you were gonna get love. What was the other II

Thank you so much for your support! Getting encouragement from you guys is what helped me hang in there when I had 0 II. My other one is TCOM! I'm going to be interviewing there on my bday! I'm beyond excited. Best birthday ever.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much for your support! Getting encouragement from you guys is what helped me hang in there when I had 0 II. My other one is TCOM! I'm going to be interviewing there on my bday! I'm beyond excited. Best birthday ever.
What dates were you offered for your lubbock II?

No you didn't! Schools don't necessarily review apps in order! I think most of them don't actually. It's really just random.

I'm not sure what the order is, but I'm starting to get quite worried. complete early augsut, LizzyM 71 Zero II's so far.... I hope there is some reason why mine was passed up other than not wanting to offer me an II

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the order is, but I'm starting to get quite worried. Transmitted 7/21 and finished all my secondaries between 7/24-8/3, LizzyM ~71. Zero II's so far.... I hope there is some reason why mine was passed up other than not wanting to offer me an II

You will get them soon. Adcoms keep reviewing and re reviewing apps throughout the cycle. Just because you didn't get one already doesn't mean you never won't get one. Who knows! They might have met today and decided to invite you and you'll find out pretty soon. We can never REALLY know what goes on in adcoms. It's a mysterious world. You have a great LizzyM. You'll hear back for sure.

You will get them soon. Adcoms keep reviewing and re reviewing apps throughout the cycle. Just because you didn't get one already doesn't mean you never won't get one. Who knows! They might have met today and decided to invite you and you'll find out pretty soon. We can never REALLY know what goes on in adcoms. It's a mysterious world. You have a great LizzyM. You'll hear back for sure.

Thanks, I hope so!!

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the order is, but I'm starting to get quite worried. Transmitted 7/21 and finished all my secondaries between 7/24-8/3, LizzyM ~71. Zero II's so far.... I hope there is some reason why mine was passed up other than not wanting to offer me an II
You're not alone. My app was complete on 6/23 and still nothing.

Honestly I applied FMAT and that may be why I got an II. I think they are doing FMAT, dual degree, URM, and OOS people first. I'm an ORM but I think the FMAT is what got me looked at sooner.

Well I'm an URM and it's been silence from the techs (and most other Texas schools for that matter). Im going to stay optimistic though. Its still only early September. Sending good vibes everyone's way!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Should a drive 6 hours each way or should I fly? Round trip cost for flight is $220.

Should a drive 6 hours each way or should I fly? Round trip cost for flight is $220.

Depends. The drive actually goes surprisingly fast (but depending on the route you take, you're looking at nothing but windmills for a good while). Plus, getting there with your own car offers you the most flexibility for travel while you're there. You also have to worry about gas though, and with recent prices...you might think twice about driving.

On the other hand, flying gets you there fast. But, you have to find transport from the airport to your hotel/wherever you're going to stay which means you have to shell out more money (though I think the school has a shuttle that brings you to the airport after your interviews). Also, you run the risk of having troubles with luggage (being lost, getting there late, etc.). We actually had a student that checked in to the school about 3 hours late due to luggage issues.

Both have their pros and cons. Good luck and feel free to ask if you have any more questions!

From someone who has driven to all of their IIs thus far, book the ticket and don't look back!

Can someone please tell me the link to the secondary application portal? I want to check my status but I deleted the email :/

Depends. The drive actually goes surprisingly fast (but depending on the route you take, you're looking at nothing but windmills for a good while). Plus, getting there with your own car offers you the most flexibility for travel while you're there. You also have to worry about gas though, and with recent prices...you might think twice about driving.

On the other hand, flying gets you there fast. But, you have to find transport from the airport to your hotel/wherever you're going to stay which means you have to shell out more money (though I think the school has a shuttle that brings you to the airport after your interviews). Also, you run the risk of having troubles with luggage (being lost, getting there late, etc.). We actually had a student that checked in to the school about 3 hours late due to luggage issues.

Both have their pros and cons. Good luck and feel free to ask if you have any more questions!

Thank you so much! I think I will drive so I don't have to spend money on uber every time while I'm there! Thanks so much. Yeah I think it will go fast and it would allow me to reflect on stuff before the interview.

I interviewed here a month ago and the school has not shown up on my TMDSAS rank list yet. Anyone else experiencing this too?

If anyone here wants to share a hotel PM me

Last edited:
I interviewed here a month ago and the school has not shown up on my TMDSAS rank list yet. Anyone else experiencing this too?
Yeah I'm in the same boat. It's still so early I don't think we need to worry about anything yet

II today! Only date available to me was this coming Wednesday. Can't wait to return to my alma mater!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know when the interview day ends here?

Usually only day offered = we need to have a particular number of people interview that day. You can still reschedule if you need to

Last edited:
Usually only day offered = we need to have a particular number of people interview that day. Tkt can still reschedule if you need to
Yeah I actually have another interview at UTMB that day so I'll have to call and reschedule with TTU on Monday morning.

II received! OOS, submitted late August so I am quite shocked that it was this quick of a turnaround. If anyone has tips for the interview beyond the normal "review the school's info and your personal statement", I'd appreciate it!