2017-2018 Texas Tech University - Lubbock

Started by gyngyn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Just wondering if people who interview at lubbock are likely to get an interview at El Paso? Any insight on this?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats to all that got II, would u plz post how it was? thx

Amazing. I loved the "southern hospitality" vibe. Clinical simulation facilities are top notch. UMC (hospital) is connected to the school, which is a huge plus for me. They have a lot of construction going on and they are constantly trying to improve the facilities. The only knock I had was the limited study space on campus.

The president of TTUHSC was extremely charismatic and talked to every single interviewee individually. Its really comforting knowing that the institution is run by someone so dedicated like that. Dean Berk was extremely transparent (they just passed LCME audit with flying colors and so he was honest about citations and commendations). Student ambassadors were trained really well to streamline the interview day and they were extremely well prepared for any questions which was awesome.

All my interviews were super straightforward, good luck! I hope I pre-match here!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Amazing. I loved the "southern hospitality" vibe. Clinical simulation facilities are top notch. UMC (hospital) is connected to the school, which is a huge plus for me. They have a lot of construction going on and they are constantly trying to improve the facilities. The only knock I had was the limited study space on campus.

The president of TTUHSC was extremely charismatic and talked to every single interviewee individually. Its really comforting knowing that the institution is run by someone so dedicated like that. Dean Berk was extremely transparent (they just passed LCME audit with flying colors and so he was honest about citations and commendations). Student ambassadors were trained really well to streamline the interview day and they were extremely well prepared for any questions which was awesome.

All my interviews were super straightforward, good luck! I hope I pre-match here!
which DO school rejected you?
 
CONGRATS! If you don't mind, what were your stats and when were you complete?
I was complete recently (really late...last month). Not the most amazing stats (good stats), dashing good looks, and a dash of luck.:=|:-):This one was a pleasant surprise. SO honored for this opportunity.
 
Hey guys, I have my interview here on Friday. I was wondering if the one-on-one interviews were open file or closed file? Or if they are blind to our MCAT and GPA? Also wondering if anyone could share what they thought of their interview experience? Thanks!
 
Hey guys, I have my interview here on Friday. I was wondering if the one-on-one interviews were open file or closed file? Or if they are blind to our MCAT and GPA? Also wondering if anyone could share what they thought of their interview experience? Thanks!

Congratulations on your II!
Both of mine were open-file. My interview experience was very enjoyable and low-stress. The day starts with breakfast with current students and a talk from the president of TTUHSC, followed by a brief but informative talk from the dean and dean of admission. Then came lunch (by far the best interview lunch I had ever had). The last thing we did were the interviews, which some current students helped us get to. Overall, everyone there was incredibly friendly and welcoming, and they tried to make the experience as low-stress as possible.
 
Hey guys, I have my interview here on Friday. I was wondering if the one-on-one interviews were open file or closed file? Or if they are blind to our MCAT and GPA? Also wondering if anyone could share what they thought of their interview experience? Thanks!
I interviewed here two weeks ago and my experience was definitely not what I was expecting. My first interview was very awkward and did not feel conversational at all. She asked me several questions regarding the ACA and my thoughts on foreign healthcare policy. Also, everyone gets asked some type of "ethical question". My interviewers just read them off a piece of paper and they weren't very dificult but I recommend searching online for sample questions because I think that helped prepare me. My second interview started 20 minutes late, but was better than the first one because it was with a 3rd year med student. The school itself was very impressive and the people are friendly but just be prepared in case you get harder questions! Best of luck 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I have my interview here on Friday. I was wondering if the one-on-one interviews were open file or closed file? Or if they are blind to our MCAT and GPA? Also wondering if anyone could share what they thought of their interview experience? Thanks!
They are blind to your MCAT and GPA but have (or should have) read over your essays and seen your educational background (as in school attended).
 
I interviewed here two weeks ago and my experience was definitely not what I was expecting. My first interview was very awkward and did not feel conversational at all. She asked me several questions regarding the ACA and my thoughts on foreign healthcare policy. Also, everyone gets asked some type of "ethical question". My interviewers just read them off a piece of paper and they weren't very dificult but I recommend searching online for sample questions because I think that helped prepare me. My second interview started 20 minutes late, but was better than the first one because it was with a 3rd year med student. The school itself was very impressive and the people are friendly but just be prepared in case you get harder questions! Best of luck 🙂
I've done MMIs at three other interviews. Would you say that is probably sufficient (or at least decent) practice for the types of ethical questions you were asked?
 
I interviewed here two weeks ago and my experience was definitely not what I was expecting. My first interview was very awkward and did not feel conversational at all. She asked me several questions regarding the ACA and my thoughts on foreign healthcare policy. Also, everyone gets asked some type of "ethical question". My interviewers just read them off a piece of paper and they weren't very dificult but I recommend searching online for sample questions because I think that helped prepare me. My second interview started 20 minutes late, but was better than the first one because it was with a 3rd year med student. The school itself was very impressive and the people are friendly but just be prepared in case you get harder questions! Best of luck 🙂


I had a similar experience. It's comforting to know I wasn't the only one.
 
I applied to the FMAT program. Can anyone else that applied to this program and already had their interview give some insight on how the interview went. Also, if there were additional interviews on top of the traditional interviews? Thanks in advance!
 
I applied to the FMAT program. Can anyone else that applied to this program and already had their interview give some insight on how the interview went. Also, if there were additional interviews on top of the traditional interviews? Thanks in advance!

You get an extra interview with an FMAT faculty member. It’s striaghtforward - asking why family med, etc
 
Hey everyone! Quick question on people’s opinion: if I’m OOS from NY with a 507 MCAT, 3.34 uGPa, 3.95 post-bacc GPA, a “good story” (cancer survivor, i have a bone disease for which i started a foundation, etc.), tons of ECs and volunteer/shadowing hours, does anyone recommend I apply or is it too late in the cycle? I have no ties to Lubbock or texas in general but I am travelling there this weekend for a fundraiser for my foundation and figured maybe i can use that in my favor. Thanks!!
 
Hey everyone! Quick question on people’s opinion: if I’m OOS from NY with a 507 MCAT, 3.34 uGPa, 3.95 post-bacc GPA, a “good story” (cancer survivor, i have a bone disease for which i started a foundation, etc.), tons of ECs and volunteer/shadowing hours, does anyone recommend I apply or is it too late in the cycle? I have no ties to Lubbock or texas in general but I am travelling there this weekend for a fundraiser for my foundation and figured maybe i can use that in my favor. Thanks!!
@VinnyNova The deadline for submission of applications has passed- it was September 29.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if FMAT decisions/dual degree decisions come out tomorrow? Previous threads show yes, but I'm not sure if its just for OOS students or both IS/OOS. Thanks!
 
upload_2017-10-15_19-39-42.png