2017-2018 The Commonwealth Medical College (Geisinger)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed 9/25. You and I have been in it for the long haul!! My state school just put me on the high priority waitlist so the likelihood of me attending GCSOM anymore is declining.

Have you been deferred from GCSOM or just in silence since your interview?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure everything in the area is shutting down tomorrow, we're expected to have 10+ inches. Just warning you to plan accordingly

Yeah I'm a bit worried since they told me it's the last interview date but I'm coming in on Thursday so it should hopefully be when the storm dies down and hopefully enough ice/snow ill be taken care of!
thanks for the warning :]

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'm a bit worried since they told me it's the last interview date but I'm coming in on Thursday so it should hopefully be when the storm dies down and hopefully enough ice/snow ill be taken care of!
thanks for the warning :]
Looks like the weathermen were wrong, it should be fine

Deferred since November. OOS but my interview went amazing. . .

I've been learning more and more that the feeling you have leaving an interview is not indicative of the decision thats made

Reactions: 1 user
I've been learning more and more that the feeling you have leaving an interview is not indicative of the decision thats made

Tell me about it:(

No kidding, my state school interview was the worst one I had yet. I showed up with freshly spilled coffee on my white dress shirt. I had slip-up after slip-up in my second interview and they put me into their high priority waitlist which is widely considered a delayed acceptance. I am thrilled but completely confused by their faith in me haha.

No kidding, my state school interview was the worst one I had yet. I showed up with freshly spilled coffee on my white dress shirt. I had slip-up after slip-up in my second interview and they put me into their high priority waitlist which is widely considered a delayed acceptance. I am thrilled but completely confused by their faith in me haha.
Ha.. we have a lot in common.. only difference is dunkin hot chocolate :) Good Luck.. waitlisted in two.. have to wait and see...

Can someone please commsnt on whether there is a closet or room in the school where interviewees can leave their baggage? I'm not so positive about a late check-out.

Can someone please commsnt on whether there is a closet or room in the school where interviewees can leave their baggage? I'm not so positive about a late check-out.

Yes there is. You can leave it behind the security desk when you check in.

Do you have an interview this weekend/next week?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

I interviewed in late January and have yet to hear back from the school. Is anyone else in the same boat here?

I know they said it would take anywhere between 6-8 weeks to hear back, but i'm approaching 8 weeks and wondering if something might be up..

Thanks

Hi All,

I interviewed in late January and have yet to hear back from the school. Is anyone else in the same boat here?

I know they said it would take anywhere between 6-8 weeks to hear back, but i'm approaching 8 weeks and wondering if something might be up..

Thanks

I interviewed at the end of January and also haven't heard anything yet. Next week is 7 weeks for me and they also said 6-8 weeks to hear back. Im assuming we won't hear anything tomorrow with it being Match day tomorrow. Maybe next week they'll release something.

Since today is the day they’re supposed to have given out enough acceptances to have their class full, does that mean the only way anymore people will get accepted is if someone withdraws?

I’m a little confused by how the special dates work. If anyone can help explain it to me I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Since today is the day they’re supposed to have given out enough acceptances to have their class full, does that mean the only way anymore people will get accepted is if someone withdraws?

I’m a little confused by how the special dates work. If anyone can help explain it to me I would appreciate it. Thanks!

I didnt know about that date. Is that an official date or is that something that they said during the interview?

Just got deferred after interviewing in early Feb. completely forgot I was expecting to hear back from here. Not a complete shock because I thought I had a tough interview. Prob will be withdrawing here

Was pumped to receive an acceptance today

Interviewed late January

Best of luck to all!

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed at the end of January and also haven't heard anything yet. Next week is 7 weeks for me and they also said 6-8 weeks to hear back. Im assuming we won't hear anything tomorrow with it being Match day tomorrow. Maybe next week they'll release something.

I ended up receiving the acceptance this morning. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
IM
Palmetto Health Richland - SC
Temple Univ - PA (x2)
Allegheny - prelim - PA (x2)
Ohio State - prelim - OH
VCU - VA (x2)
Penn State - PA
Lankenau - prelim - PA
Thomas Jefferson - PA (x2)
Albert Einstein Med - prelim - PA
Morehouse SOM - GA
UMD - prelim/neuro - MD
Dartmouth - NH
U Cincinnati - OH
University of Rochester - NY
Mayo Clinic Jacksonville - FL
UPMC - PA
Christiana Care - DE
Naval Med Ctr San Diego - CA
Rutgers RWJ - NJ (x2)
UT Med Branch-Galveston - TX
NY Presbyterian Brooklyn - NY
Flushing Med Ctr - prelim - NY (x2)
Cedars-Sinai Med Ctr - CA
UPMC Mercy - prelim - PA
Mayo Clinic Arizona - AZ
Marshfield Clinic - WI

Family Med

UT HSC - San Antonio TX
York Hospital - PA
Drexel - PA (x2)
Guthrie - PA
New Hanover Regional Med Center - NC
Abington Memorial Hospital - PA
EVMS - VA

EM
UPMC - PA
Hofstra Northwell - NY
Geisinger - PA
Penn State - PA
U Florida - FL
Arnot Ogden Med Ctr - NY
EVMS - VA
UMass - MA
WVU SOM - WV
Reading Hospital - PA

OB/GYN
MUSC - SC (x2)
York - PA
Cooper - NJ
U Colorado - CO

Ophtho
U Cincinnati - OH
Ohio State - OH
Temple - PA

Med-Peds
Geisinger - PA
Penn State - PA

Ortho
Penn State - PA
Emory - GA
NYU - NY
Geisinger - PA

Rad Onc
Icahn SOM Mt. Sinai - NY

Derm

Urology
U Vermont - VT
U Louisville - KY
Walter Reed - MD

General Surgery
U Vermont - prelim/urology - VT
Temple - PA
Rutgers RWJ - NJ
UPMC Mercy - prelim - PA
Monmouth Medical Ctr - prelim - NJ

Plastic Surgery
UCLA - CA

Anesthesiology
UVA - VA
Icahn SOM Mt. Sinai - NY
U Chicago - IL

Peds
NY Presbyterian Cornell - NY
St. Christopher's Hospital - PA (x3)
Children's National Med Ctr - DC
Jefferson Medical College/DuPont Children's - PA
UT HSC - San Antonio - TX
Lehigh Valley - PA
Montefiore Med Center/Einstein - NY

PM&R
Walter Reed - MD
Burke Rehab Hospital - NY

Radiology
Temple - PA
NYMC - NY
Hofstra Northwell - NY
Maimonides Med Ctr - NY

Neurology
Thomas Jefferson - PA
Geisinger - PA
UMD - MD
Mayo Clinic - Jacksonville - FL

Psychiatry
Wright Center - PA
U New Mexico - NM
Rugters RWJ - NJ
Jersey Shore Med Ctr - NJ

Pathology
U New Mexico - NM
VCU - VA

Transitional Year
Colorado Health Foundation - CO
Madigan Army Med Ctr - WA (x2)
Stony Brook Mather - NY
Blake Med Ctr - FL

Reactions: 3 users

Every school accepts over their class size, because not every accepted student will end up attending. Most schools accept people until around mid April, from what I've seen in the past. By the end of April (I believe), each accepted student can only have a spot reserved at one medical school. Then each school has an idea of how many people they actually have in there class. From there, they start pulling from the waitlist. From what I have heard, GCSOM is fairly good at getting close to their actual class size from the initial acceptances. There are still people pulled from the waitlist, but not as many as you'd see from some of the Philly schools.

Every school accepts over their class size, because not every accepted student will end up attending. Most schools accept people until around mid April, from what I've seen in the past. By the end of April (I believe), each accepted student can only have a spot reserved at one medical school. Then each school has an idea of how many people they actually have in there class. From there, they start pulling from the waitlist. From what I have heard, GCSOM is fairly good at getting close to their actual class size from the initial acceptances. There are still people pulled from the waitlist, but not as many as you'd see from some of the Philly schools.
Ok thanks so much! Well here’s for hoping I guess!!

I just wanted to ask, I e-mailed a thank you letter to my interviewer and didn't receive a response which is normal right?

I just wanted to ask, I e-mailed a thank you letter to my interviewer and didn't receive a response which is normal right?

I sent an email thank you to both my primary and student interviewer and didn't get a response from either. Likely normal IMO!

I sent an email thank you to both my primary and student interviewer and didn't get a response from either. Likely normal IMO!
Think about how many emails they must get, all probably some variety of the same thing.

Think about how many emails they must get, all probably some variety of the same thing.

Thanks everyone. Just gettin' a little neurotic haha. I had a great time interviewing here and I loved my interviewer. I mean the e-mail didn't bounce so I think I'm good in that regard. Even if I interviewed in March I'm still holding out hope for an acceptance!

I got a reply, but have been deferred since November. So I wouldn’t read into it

IM
Palmetto Health Richland - SC
Temple Univ - PA (x2)
Allegheny - prelim - PA (x2)
Ohio State - prelim - OH
VCU - VA (x2)
Penn State - PA
Lankenau - prelim - PA
Thomas Jefferson - PA (x2)
Albert Einstein Med - prelim - PA
Morehouse SOM - GA
UMD - prelim/neuro - MD
Dartmouth - NH
U Cincinnati - OH
Mayo Clinic Jacksonville - FL
UPMC - PA
Christiana Care - DE
Naval Med Ctr San Diego - CA
Rutgers RWJ - NJ (x2)
UT Med Branch-Galveston - TX
NY Presbyterian Brooklyn - NY
Flushing Med Ctr - prelim - NY (x2)
Cedars-Sinai Med Ctr - CA
UPMC Mercy - prelim - PA
Mayo Clinic Arizona - AZ
Marshfield Clinic - WI

Family Med

UT HSC - San Antonio TX
York Hospital - PA
Drexel - PA (x2)
Guthrie - PA
New Hanover Regional Med Center - NC
Abington Memorial Hospital - PA
EVMS - VA

EM
UPMC - PA
Hofstra Northwell - NY
Geisinger - PA
Penn State - PA
U Florida - FL
Arnot Ogden Med Ctr - NY
EVMS - VA
UMass - MA
WVU SOM - WV
Reading Hospital - PA

OB/GYN
MUSC - SC (x2)
York - PA
Cooper - NJ
U Colorado - CO

Ophtho
U Cincinnati - OH
Ohio State - OH
Temple - PA

Med-Peds
Geisinger - PA
Penn State - PA

Ortho
Penn State - PA
Emory - GA
NYU - NY
Geisinger - PA

Rad Onc
Icahn SOM Mt. Sinai - NY

Derm

Urology
U Vermont - VT
U Louisville - KY
Walter Reed - MD

General Surgery
U Vermont - prelim/urology - VT
Temple - PA
Rutgers RWJ - NJ
UPMC Mercy - prelim - PA
Monmouth Medical Ctr - prelim - NJ

Plastic Surgery
UCLA - CA

Anesthesiology
UVA - VA
Icahn SOM Mt. Sinai - NY
U Chicago - IL

Peds
NY Presbyterian Cornell - NY
St. Christopher's Hospital - PA (x3)
Children's National Med Ctr - DC
Jefferson Medical College/DuPont Children's - PA
UT HSC - San Antonio - TX
Lehigh Valley - PA
Montefiore Med Center/Einstein - NY

PM&R
Walter Reed - MD
Burke Rehab Hospital - NY

Radiology
Temple - PA
NYMC - NY
Hofstra Northwell - NY
Maimonides Med Ctr - NY

Neurology
Thomas Jefferson - PA
Geisinger - PA
UMD - MD
Mayo Clinic - Jacksonville - FL

Psychiatry
Wright Center - PA
U New Mexico - NM
Rugters RWJ - NJ
Jersey Shore Med Ctr - NJ

Pathology
U New Mexico - NM
VCU - VA

Transitional Year
Colorado Health Foundation - CO
Madigan Army Med Ctr - WA (x2)
Stony Brook Mather - NY
Blake Med Ctr - FL

That's a darn fine match list considering they've only been accredited for 4 years.

Is it bad if I can't make it to accepted students' day? I have to work that weekend and don't think I can find coverage. I'm also 99% sure I'll be attending gcsom.

Is it bad if I can't make it to accepted students' day? I have to work that weekend and don't think I can find coverage. I'm also 99% sure I'll be attending gcsom.
It doesn't really matter, you'll just miss out on getting a bunch of free GCSOM merch

Just withdrew. I hope my spot goes to one of you wonderful applicants! :)

Reactions: 2 users
has anybody heard about financial aid packages yet? Submitted my info right before the mar 15 deadline, but not sure how long its supposed to take..

has anybody heard about financial aid packages yet? Submitted my info right before the mar 15 deadline, but not sure how long its supposed to take..
I submitted my info back in Oct but still no letter yet. They say it'll come in late March on empower web. I just checked last week and there was nothing there

I got a merit scholarship and when they called to tell me, they said that aid packages will be out next week.

I haven't heard anything from financial aid yet either but, when I go on empower, go under financials, and click "estimated tuition worksheet" under student billing, it shows an award amount. It says "MD Need-Based Scholarship - Accepted" and then a number. Is this accurate?

Also, if you go under Billing Detail Summary, it shows what they're offering you apparently. Says "pending financial aid." Mine is close to nothing lmao what a joke

I just followed your instructions, and yes! That seems to be it. Keep in mind that that's half, because it's only for the fall term.

Just withdrew my acceptance, and I'm sending positive vibes that one of you will get the seat. (Interviewed Sept. accepted late October).

ACCEPTED (interviewed in January)! First one out of two cycles - I am so thrilled that this program was willing to have me!

Reactions: 5 users
ACCEPTED (interviewed in January)! First one out of two cycles - I am so thrilled that this program was willing to have me!
Congrats! I'm also a reapplicant (second time in three years) and I'll be attending gcsom also

Congratulations!!! I’m in the same boat as you but deferred :/ Were you accepted today?

Waitlist. OOS. Dang that makes a three for three.